Destiny (PS4) Drama - 11 Year Old Gets Trolled.

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Destiny (PS4) Drama - 11 year old gets trolled.
Destiny (PS4) Drama - 11 year old gets trolled.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-22 00:11:51  
Verda said: »
To be fair, Atari games were so bad and so numerously bad that they almost ruined the console industry for good. Only after Nintendo came out and only let games with their chip be licensed or sold or even work, and act as quality control for the industry both by raising the price to get in and by not licensing bad games did the industry take off again. And I think SNES games like Final Fantasy VI and Valkyrie Profile kick the butt of a lot of modern games.
I think a lot of SNES games hold up today when it comes to aesthetics.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
サーバ: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-02-22 00:16:37  
A lot of new games just concern themselves with graphical quality instead of unique aesthetics
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2015-02-22 00:26:35  
Fyyvoaa said: »
My friend did show me this the other day and ... I dunno.

I feel bad for the kid, but on the other hand I kind of feel he deserved it for trying to actively cheat (even if it is on a cruddy game...)

The guy who did it is a ***, no doubt about that... but it could have been worse.

This is a common argument that I read people type, and most the time they fail to realize something.

The kid wasn't looking to cheat, he didn't join his friend to expecting to get some cheats done, KirmitTHEfrog randomly talks him into it. Some young kid making a decision like that in the spur of the moment isn't exactly something I wouldn't condone.

And in the end, it wouldn't have even been him cheating, if the cheat even existed (it doesn't) Kirmit would be the one cheating.
 Valefor.Endoq
サーバ: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-02-22 00:37:13  
Nothing wrong with video game cheats. Cheats are part of video games and always have been.
[+]
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-22 00:39:49  
Kalila said: »
To be fair, Atari games were so bad and so numerously bad that they almost ruined the console industry for good. Only after Nintendo came out and only let games with their chip be licensed or sold or even work, and act as quality control for the industry both by raising the price to get in and by not licensing bad games did the industry take off again. And I think SNES games like Final Fantasy VI and Valkyrie Profile kick the butt of a lot of modern games.
I think a lot of SNES games hold up today when it comes to aesthetics.
I think it goes beyond just Aesthetics to quality writing and game design to be honest. And the graphics, especially in this era where it's hip and cool for indi games especially to turn to retro graphics as a leg up, is even modern in it's own way. The level of polish on the sprites still beats the snot out of most modern games that try for the same imho.
The writing, maybe. There were a lot of translation errors back then :) It did get the point across though, and many themes back then were just so unique and special.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2015-02-22 00:42:02  
Valefor.Endoq said: »
Nothing wrong with video game cheats. Cheats are part of video games and always have been.

In this game in particular, it's hilarious how many people exploit the bosses and glitches the game is ridden with.

The same people who literally spam these glitches to quickly and easily gain loot judge the kid, it's pretty annoying.

You would be hard-pressed to find anyone wanting to do the raids legitimately.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-02-22 00:42:59  
YouTube Video Placeholder
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-22 00:44:15  
Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai said: »

In this game in particular, it's hilarious how many people exploit the bosses and glitches the game is ridden with.

The same people who literally spam these glitches to quickly and easily gain loot judge the kid, it's pretty annoying.

This is why I stopped playing Destiny.
 Lye
By Lye 2015-02-22 00:53:15  
I never understood the phrase "he/she 'deserved' (insert horrible thing here)" for being naive.

Does one deserve to be raped and murdered for leaving their door unlocked?

"Lesson learned?" There's nothing to say this kid will learn anything from this except not to use share-play. Believing he will arrive at some profound life lesson only illustrates your own naivety.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2015-02-22 00:57:54  

This is why I stopped playing Destiny.

Likewise.

Also, interestingly Kirmit deleted that video of him I linked earlier, probably due to the massive amount of abuse he's been getting on pretty much every one of his youtube videos, especially that one with people insulting his appearance.

Also set his psn account to private for some reason, he had 126 platinum trophies. He's suspected of being cheater himself, I guess he set it to private to hide the time stamps on the trophies.

And he thought he was doing justice by deleting the kids progress for wanting to cheat (the cheating he talked the kid into) but cheats himself, lol. What scum.
 Valefor.Endoq
サーバ: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-02-22 01:13:57  
Hard to correct anyone while being a hypocrit.
I seriously don't think this guy was trying to teach a lesson but rather was being malicious for the sake of being malicious and is just using this "teaching a lesson" excuse to save face.
[+]
By Buzzwords 2015-02-22 02:05:45  

this part in particular is a damn shame.

the raids are actually very interesting. they both introduced new mechanics that didn't feel like the game arbitrarily changing it's own rules just to *** you over. (hard modes lack of revives notwithstanding <.<)

it's partly due to the people i'm playing with i'm sure, but that first run through crota's end is some of the most fun i've had gaming in a while. figuring it out, making a plan and watching it come together...

maybe my group is just the "right speed" for these raids. we're good enough to beat them reliably without cheese, but we're not so good that they become mundane, but i actually find them engaging even after multiple playthroughs. (like a lot of playthroughs... SOME of the criticism levied at destiny is fair <.<) and i think the players just cheesing through it for phat loot are missing out. cheating THEMSELVES even.
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-22 02:07:18  
The reason it works for you is you have a group.

Try doing it with randoms, and you'll see how others feel.
By Buzzwords 2015-02-22 02:25:25  
oh i get it, i have played with randoms across so many games to such an extent that i no longer do it. i don't even try. if my clans not around i play something offline or solo. i have given up on humanity.

randoms are always terrible, especially in stuff that requires planning, timing, and coordination. even if they are normally not terrible, when people go into that stuff not on the same page, you're screwed.

but couldn't the same be said of most multi player games, even ffxi? how often is the go-to advice "play with your friends" or "find a linkshell"

i guess i don't BLAME people for finding the shortest POSSIBLE route to the shiny thing, but when the solution involves not even really PLAYING the game in front of them? that feels like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. sure it'll fit if you bash on it hard enough, but it doesn't belong there?

i mean... is that even fun? or are they just addicted to the skinnerbox?
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2015-02-22 02:45:29  
Alot of the community actually complained when Bungie addressed some of the Vault of Glass exploits, in particular the Templar/Atheon "push off the edge" method. Pretty appalling, lol.

I don't understand why they would want to play a game where you just exploit to gain loot, either. Takes the fun out of gaining the loot in the first place, really. Why do you even care for loot if all you're going to do is continuously exploit glitches so the game poses little challenge.

What I found amusing is the same people who exploited it, would never accept it was an exploit. I'd always see some hilarious excuse like "it's not an exploit ***, we can die if we fall of the edge so bosses should be able to aswell. It's simple game mechanics." Really dumb.
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-22 17:26:45  
Man Accused Of Deleting 11-Year-Old's Destiny Data Also A Victim
by Mike Futter on February 22, 2015 at 04:55 PM

We recently covered a story of an 11-year-old child named Henry, whose Destiny characters were deleted via the PlayStation 4’s Share Play feature. In the course of investigating that story, I reached out to both parties, including the aggressor.

At the time, I didn’t receive a response via PlayStation Network from the person who owns the “KirmitTHEfrog” account. Privacy settings didn't allow me to send a friend request, and a follow-up message was also prohibited.

Today, I received an email from a woman claiming to be the mother of the man who owns the account. What followed was a complex tale involving personal injury and loss. I have since been able to speak with the owner of the account, who I will call “Adam” to protect his identity (as you might imagine, there have been a number of threats sent via PSN) and have received confirmation that he owns the “KirmitTHEfrog” account and verified details of the story that give us confidence to share it with you.

On November 1, 2014, Adam, was in a head-on collision with another car. The 23-year-old has been convalescing at home for much of the time since.

Adam’s mother tells me that their home sees a lot of traffic with friends, their children, and friends of those children passing through. According to Adam and his mother, Adam was unaware of what was happening on his PlayStation account.

“At the beginning of November, [“Adam”] was hit by another driver head-on; the next couple of months he spent time recouping and finally returning to work where he spends a great deal of time to make up for lost wages and bills that piled up,” his mother told me via e-mail. “Gaming was not on his mind. We were not aware as people stopped by to visit him to see how he was doing that anyone was, as he says, ‘messing with his gaming account.’ His playstation was sitting there, kids played games, others watched movies; no one assumed one of them was ‘having a good time’ at my son’s expense. And perhaps no one would have known if it did not horribly go viral.”

We were able to see a copy of the police report from the accident to verify the details. “I am a lucky guy to be alive,” Adam told me. “I don't look at life quite the same anymore. So I guess I was too trusting when people came over to hang out. I was sleeping a lot so I would not notice.”

Adam’s account has since been put under lock and key, so to speak. As I mentioned, he isn’t accepting messages or friend requests. There have been hundreds of attacks levied via PlayStation Network, and according to Adam’s mother, Sony is helping to deal with those deemed harassing and threatening.

“Some posts said they wanted me dead or my family dead,” Adam told me. “Someone said they wanted me to get cancer or someone in my family. You know what that does to you? I almost just died, and I still cry a lot because my sister died because of cancer not too long ago. This is cruel, and I want it all to stop so when I feel I want to have time to unwind I could play online. Now, I have more crap to worry about, and I hate this stress.” Adam's mother provided some additional information about his sister and her struggle with cancer. She passed away in 2011.

Unfortunately, Adam doesn’t know which of the people using his PlayStation 4 deleted Henry’s data. “I wish I knew who it was,” he says. “I don’t. I was so sleepy half the time from pain medication. Why would someone do that? I guess you have to be pretty stupid or just don't give a damn about people to do that. Glad I don’t know who it is. I am so mad and stressed for what he did to me by using my account.”

Adam tells me that he has a little brother and he wouldn’t want to see him hurt like Henry was. “I feel bad for that little kid,” he says. “If my little brother tried to play my game, I would not let him. Plus, if he tried to cheat on anything I would smack him on the side of his head. People on games cheat, but [it’s] not good to teach or let little kids do that, they don’t get it yet.”

Just as we posted Henry’s video to warn about the possible dangers of trusting the wrong people with Share Play, we share Adam’s account as a cautionary tale. Protect your online identity as you would any other piece of personal data.

And for those that would use this story to ridicule an 11-year-old, attack his parents for some assumed inadequacy, or even threaten violence against the perceived aggressor, please reconsider. We could all do with being a little kinder to one another.
[+]
 Fairy.Ghaleon
サーバ: Fairy
user: MisterRyu
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2015-02-22 17:51:38  
I kind of don't buy this guys story. I mean he flat out says he didn't know who did it. but if it was a friend of his he would know who was over, and there's video of somebodies voice, pretty sure he could identify one of his friends voices, it sounds like he's either lying or just playing dumb to protect his friend. either way, this whole thing was pretty silly.

I do agree that violent and malicious acts from bystanders don't help though. public shaming should be enough of a punishment.

edit- k nvm, i just went through the video again, i guess he wasn't in a voicechat session lol. I saw the video last night with the volume turned down somewhat lol.
 Carbuncle.Arcksan
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Pluton
By Carbuncle.Arcksan 2015-02-22 18:18:20  
My avatar ! >.<
By Buzzwords 2015-02-22 18:35:52  
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

though i like yours better... with the wind and such...
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-22 18:37:07  
I... totally thought you two were just one person...
 Sylph.Kawar
サーバ: Sylph
user: Kawar
By Sylph.Kawar 2015-02-22 19:22:11  
[/spoiler]
I call bull ***. This to me just sounds like a guy spining a story to stop death threats on him or something like that.
 Lye
By Lye 2015-02-22 19:25:59  
Smells like bull ***.

The only reason to introduce that he was in a "terrible head-on collision" is to generate pity. It hardly even explains the claim that "people come and go and play my ps4 all the time?"

Gee... That's awful convenient. I should feel bad for you AND I should know it wasn't you?

Given all the gamergate and gamejournopros ***, the only news I believe less than fox/msnbc is "video game journalism."
At this point, at least I know that big news media is corrupt for millions where these jokers have to do it for much less.
 Shiva.Viciousss
サーバ: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-02-22 19:42:26  
*** or not..I really don't care. He brought it on himself and I'm not going to feel bad for him. Of course I don't really care about the kid either, they can be miserable together.
 Sylph.Kawar
サーバ: Sylph
user: Kawar
By Sylph.Kawar 2015-02-22 19:46:12  
Shiva.Viciousss said: »
*** or not..I really don't care. He brought it on himself and I'm not going to feel bad for him. Of course I don't really care about the kid either, they can be miserable together.
A men.
 Ragnarok.Orlind
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Orlind
By Ragnarok.Orlind 2015-02-22 21:13:18  
Shiva.Viciousss said: »

Sounds like someone hugs that Phantom Gem of Apathy at night =D
[+]
 Ragnarok.Zeig
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2015-02-22 21:36:45  
Actually, the follow-up story that Kali posted might explain his insanely high PSN level, and the large number of platinums he has. I suggest adding it to the OP.

Regardless of the veracity of the story, what did people honestly expect from him to make up for what he (supposedly) did to the kid? Would a sincere apology be enough?

I felt bad for the kid, but people thinking it gives them a legit excuse to wish misfortune upon the bully and his family is just wrong.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7