Wife:Give Up Newborn/down Syndrone Or Get Divorced

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Wife:Give up newborn/down syndrone or get divorced
Wife:Give up newborn/down syndrone or get divorced
By Ramyrez 2015-02-06 15:08:02  
Down's is not the end of the world, for parent or child.

But it can be the end of your life as you imagined or wanted it.

The mother exercised her right to not see that happen. Whether I agree with it or not is moot.

Take solace at least that this child appears to have one loving parent and a support structure to see him through to the best possible outcome.

Not all children have that, Down's or otherwise.
[+]
By Bloodrose 2015-02-06 15:09:31  
Ramyrez said: »
Down's is not the end of the world, for parent or child.

The mother exercised her right to not see that happen. Whether I agree with it or not is moot.

Take solace at least that this child appears to have one loving parent and a support structure to see him through to the best possible outcome.

Not all children have that, Down's or otherwise.
This is a Culture and Media thread, we can't have logic allowed in here.

At least when it's not an "US Vs. THEM" logical deduction
By fonewear 2015-02-06 15:10:54  
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Seriously, a man goes out of his way to care for and love a child with a mental problem, and all you guys can talk about are his definition of normal and how they should have aborted it? You people are sick. Also, give the man a medal.

Abortions are back in style along with skinny jeans.

I'm sure this guy's wife is a model citizen that only has abortions on the weekend.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2015-02-06 15:16:12  
fonewear said: »
Seriously, a man goes out of his way to care for and love a child with a mental problem, and all you guys can talk about are his definition of normal and how they should have aborted it? You people are sick. Also, give the man a medal.

Abortions are back in style along with skinny jeans.

I'm sure this guy's wife is a model citizen that only has abortions on the weekend.

Maybe because sex is too good and condoms too expensive?
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
サーバ: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-02-06 15:17:21  
That's true of literally every kid, though.

New parents get lied to constantly by mass media and, with the joy of anti-science culture, habitually ignore all the things their physicians say.

But it's not just kids that have that effect. Basically nothing ever turns out the way you think it'll be. Which isn't to say that it always turns bad, either (part of being a pessimist is joy that your worst fears almost never come true), but how many of us thought middle school, high school, and college were going to be a lot more awesome than was reality? Is that a valid justification for never attending school, then?
[+]
By Bloodrose 2015-02-06 15:20:20  
I never saw high school as more than an over-rated day care center for transitioning teenage babies into adult babies, where very little in their state of mind actually changes.

But my school life pretty much sucked until I got into football... then it sucked again when I out-grew the equipment, specifically the kleets between grades 10 and 11.
By Ramyrez 2015-02-06 15:22:38  
Shiva.Onorgul said: »
That's true of literally every kid, though.

New parents get lied to constantly by mass media and, with the joy of anti-science culture, habitually ignore all the things their physicians say.

But it's not just kids that have that effect. Basically nothing ever turns out the way you think it'll be. Which isn't to say that it always turns bad, either (part of being a pessimist is joy that your worst fears almost never come true), but how many of us thought middle school, high school, and college were going to be a lot more awesome than was reality? Is that a valid justification for never attending school, then?

Your point is taken, but I think it's a little on the extreme side just to make a point.

If your child is born with Down's, it's not the end of the world, as I said. I think many (most? a majority?) of people with planned or "pleasant suprise" pregnancies would go along with it if they unexpectedly found themselves with a Down's child.

At the same time, being able to detect and opt out of that pregnancy early and try again isn't the worst thing in the world either.

I don't want children at all, so it's hard for me to say for sure that I'd choose against it, because I choose against all children. Saying I hypothetically choose "normal" over "abnormal" is a bit difficult for me, because it makes me suppose myself in a state of mind I've never felt.
By Blazed1979 2015-02-06 15:25:16  
I don't want to judge the mother, but I'm finding it hard not to. She could have at least discussed it with her husband. I wonder what the situation would have been if he had wanted to give the baby up and she wanted to keep it?

The law would probably compel him to pay up, but this female dog gets a free pass -"down syndrome? no thanks, I'll pass.. and while I'm at it, I'll get me a new man".

This ***is a joke.
 Phoenix.Michiiru
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Michiiru
By Phoenix.Michiiru 2015-02-06 15:29:01  
Why would they have chosen to abort? Clearly this man wanted the child, regardless of his condition.

But the wife did not. (The one who has to carry the child and give birth to it.)

Tough ***for her, the baby's born and all she can do is float and sputter while looking like a complete piece of ***.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-02-06 15:35:49  
Verda said: »
The world is far too full of people who wish to control other people's actions, minds and even opinions
Yeah, damn control. It's a bad thing unless you are the one in charge, then it's absolutely needed and necessary!
[+]
By Bloodrose 2015-02-06 15:38:08  
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
The world is far too full of people who wish to control other people's actions, minds and even opinions
Yeah, damn control. It's a bad thing unless you are the one in charge, then it's absolutely needed and necessary!
Or if you've had a taste of power, and want it back.

Or there's a profit to be made.

Or a billion other reasons.
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
サーバ: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-02-06 15:47:03  
If your child is born with Down's, it's not the end of the world, as I said. I think many (most? a majority?) of people with planned or "pleasant suprise" pregnancies would go along with it if they unexpectedly found themselves with a Down's child.
Down syndrome is not something I'd wish on my child, no, but nor would I wish autism, far-sightedness, pigeon-toed-ness, and the long list of disabilities that I, personally, have lived with.

The difference here is that one has a clearer picture of what obstacles a child with Down syndrome or Klinefelter syndrome or cystic fibrosis or or or... My nephews are both being seen by the best neonate ophthalmologist in their area because they were born premature and their retinae may not be developing properly. Should my brother drop his boys if they wind up blind or in need of prescription lenses? One can predict a host of problems associated with being born two months premature, some of which can be quite severe, which is exactly why my sister-in-law was meeting with the high risk obstetrician shortly after she found out she was pregnant with twins, since premature birth is the norm in twin pregnancies.

Basically, someone is saying that if they know what kind of problems their kid will have at the outset, they should have the right to chuck it in a dumpster behind the Chuck E. Cheese. Whereas all those difficult-to-predict things like childhood leukemia or dyslexia or being the kind of *** who never uses a blinker when making a right turn, those aren't a good enough reason.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2015-02-06 15:54:27  
Phoenix.Michiiru said: »
Why would they have chosen to abort? Clearly this man wanted the child, regardless of his condition.

But the wife did not. (The one who has to carry the child and give birth to it.)

Tough ***for her, the baby's born and all she can do is float and sputter while looking like a complete piece of ***.

The thing is, in some countries, handicaps/disabilities are looked down on so much, that parents aren't seen as pieces of **** for abandoning them, it's rather commonplace.
By Ramyrez 2015-02-06 15:55:58  
Shiva.Onorgul said: »
Basically, someone is saying that if they know what kind of problems their kid will have at the outset, they should have the right to chuck it in a dumpster behind the Chuck E. Cheese. Whereas all those difficult-to-predict things like childhood leukemia or dyslexia or being the kind of *** who never uses a blinker when making a right turn, those aren't a good enough reason.

You'll note the part where I said I don't want children.

It makes it difficult for me to pick a cut off line. ^^;

(edit:for the record, not using your blinkers should be grounds for murder)
 Leviathan.Chaosx
サーバ: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-02-06 16:10:12  
Any of you fascists promoting eugenics again?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Ryanx
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: ryanx
By Lakshmi.Ryanx 2015-02-06 16:12:20  
So the kid has downsyndrome what ever. he can still have a normal life. he can do what ever he wants
YouTube Video Placeholder
just look at this girl downsyndrom is not stoping her from singing.
By fonewear 2015-02-06 16:23:33  
Leviathan.Chaosx said: »

I long for a race of blonde hair blue eyed women !
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
サーバ: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-02-06 16:25:07  
fonewear said: »
Leviathan.Chaosx said: »

I long for a race of blonde hair blue eyed women !
You should come over here. There's an abundance of them.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-02-06 16:25:38  
You want me to live in Serbia I hear it is pretty nice in the summer.

Back on topic I'm sure that man is a terrible person wanting to care for a disabled child.

Probably punches puppy dogs on the weekends.

I'm currently drinking so things might get weird...

How dare a father care for a child that is the mother's job !

If I was a woman I'd demand my husband we keep having kids till we get a "normal blonde hair blue eyed kid"
By Jetackuu 2015-02-06 16:36:39  
Lakshmi.Ryanx said: »
So the kid has downsyndrome what ever. he can still have a normal life. he can do what ever he wants
YouTube Video Placeholder
just look at this girl downsyndrom is not stoping her from singing.
Much like any genetically-typical person, Down's individuals vary on a case-by-case basis. Some of them rate in the borderline intellectual function range, some are severely mentally HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE (or whatever euphimism you prefer these days).

Those on the higher end of that range can get by and can even live semi-independantly.

But some are also profoundly limited throughout life and wind up in care programs and residential facilities being cared for in perpetuity.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-02-06 16:40:20  
No you don't lead a normal life with down syndrome. Living on doesn't mean living on normally.

It's like someone who loses a limb. Yeah it's great they live on and don't give up on their lives, but they're not leading a normal life anymore.

inb4 someone says the usual bs "but normality is boring", yeah go cut your hand that'll make life "interesting".
 Bismarck.Ihina
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2015-02-06 16:44:42  
Odin.Godofgods said: »
When Samuel Forrest of Armenia heard a baby crying from outside his wife's hospital room, he knew his life would change forever.

What a terrible way to start an article. Trying to be dramatic but it just came off as stupid. I'm pretty sure the man know his life was about to change for months and months now.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-02-06 16:45:19  
"You mean to tell me doctor...she wasn't just fat?"
[+]
By Bloodrose 2015-02-06 16:55:08  
Bismarck.Ihina said: »
Odin.Godofgods said: »
When Samuel Forrest of Armenia heard a baby crying from outside his wife's hospital room, he knew his life would change forever.

What a terrible way to start an article. Trying to be dramatic but it just came off as stupid. I'm pretty sure the man know his life was about to change for months and months now.

Cheesy bad writing sells newspapers/drives traffic to sites, drives most tv shows, and lots of popular novels. I agree with you I just don't feel like enough people see it that way.
It's why I prefer literature to news articles.

People get into journalism in order to learn to write, spend years, even decades "honing" their craft, and completely forget how to write.
[+]