San Antonio Passes Hands-free Law, Enacted On 1/1

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » San Antonio passes hands-free law, enacted on 1/1
San Antonio passes hands-free law, enacted on 1/1
 Cerberus.Conagh
サーバ: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2015-01-05 20:43:56  
Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »
Cerberus.Conagh said: »
Cerberus.Altsmithra said: »
Like I said I personally know several people who have died because of a seat belt. If you wanna get right down to it I know a couple EMTs that think seat beats take more lives than they save when you are going under 60-65mph. But hey listen to the people trying to take your money because they made a law over peoples grief.
Really?

Your "EMT" friends should wear this, and probably quit being EMT's.

It's like "I think this Weaponskill is good, but I'm eyeballing"

Parse shows it's ***.

Your friends are Eye Ballers, get over it or show some statistics with citation or no ones going to give a ***what you say on the matter, I don't think any comment you've ever made has been backed up with facts.

I don't have any statistics to offer right now but I'm gunna guess this is a case of sharpshooter fallacy and/or confirmation bias.

No it's just idiots making sweeping statements while they-re at a bar with thier friends and had 9 pints too many, talking ***cos lolz! I'M AN EMT I KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT DEATH, apart from 99% of it.
 Fenrir.Weakness
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Weakness
By Fenrir.Weakness 2015-01-05 20:59:56  
I am a nationally certified EMT, and I know everything you need to know about death.

It means your ***got *** up, and now you're dead.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-01-05 21:49:17  
Differential diagnosis!
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-05 22:24:38  
Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »
Cerberus.Altsmithra said: »
Like I said I personally know several people who have died because of a seat belt. If you wanna get right down to it I know a couple EMTs that think seat beats take more lives than they save when you are going under 60-65mph. But hey listen to the people trying to take your money because they made a law over peoples grief.
Really?

Your "EMT" friends should wear this, and probably quit being EMT's.

It's like "I think this Weaponskill is good, but I'm eyeballing"

Parse shows it's ***.

Your friends are Eye Ballers, get over it or show some statistics with citation or no ones going to give a ***what you say on the matter, I don't think any comment you've ever made has been backed up with facts.

I don't have any statistics to offer right now but I'm gunna guess this is a case of sharpshooter fallacy and/or confirmation bias.

No it's just idiots making sweeping statements while they-re at a bar with thier friends and had 9 pints too many, talking ***cos lolz! I'M AN EMT I KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT DEATH, apart from 99% of it.
No point in responding to Alt anymore, he won't reply.
 Bahamut.Kara
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-01-05 22:49:40  
Voren said: »
I generally only wear a seatbelt when traveling at highway speeds (55mph+). If I'm in town where the limit is 25-40mph then there's no reason to really wear one.

Some people in this thread need to take a physics course.

Your car can flip at 20mph. Depending on weather, road conditions, and the car/jeep/truck type it can be at 15mph.

Serious injury and death can occur at those speeds.

Ancedotal experience
First accident I was in we were in a stopped position at a light and a car rammed us going approximately 20mph. I was sitting in the bench seat of a van behind the passanger seat. My seatbelt malfunctioned and did not tighten properly across my chest. I slammed into the seat in front of me at least twice. I ended up with a sprained neck, hairline fractures, and realignment of my jaw which ended up causing TMJ. I was in physical therapy for over a year and under the care of an oral maxillofacial surgeon for 3 years. I was 13.

Seatbelts don't just save lives they help prevent massive injuries. A human body is not built to withstand whiplash very well.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-01-05 23:09:23  
I also think people tend to underestimate just how fast even 25 MPH is with respect to the human body. Imaging being Usain Bolt, hitting the world record running speed of ~27 MPH, then running into a stationary object.
[+]
By Bloodrose 2015-01-05 23:18:22  
Kinetic Energy doesn't stop when you stop moving. It's going to go somewhere.

That somewhere, could be into another person, into a solid object (in which the squishier, human object would suffer more damage)
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-01-06 00:09:57  
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
I also think people tend to underestimate just how fast even 25 MPH is with respect to the human body. Imaging being Usain Bolt, hitting the world record running speed of ~27 MPH, then running into a stationary object.
I agree.

Here is a physics website showing the amount of force exerted on a human being (this only looks at frontal impacts)

Quote:
For the car crash scenario where a car stops in 1 foot from a speed of 30 mi/hr, what is the force on the driver? Assume a 160 lb (mass = 5 slugs) driver.

If firmly held in non-stretching seatbelt harness: Stopping distance 1 ft.

Non-stretching seatbelt
Deceleration = 967 ft/s2 = 294 m/s2 = 30 g's
Force = 4813 lb = 21412 N = 2.4 tons

No seatbelt!
If not wearing seatbelt, stopping distance determined by nature of collision with windshield, steering column, etc. : stopping distance 0.2 ft.
Deceleration = 4836 ft/s2 = 1474 m/s2 = 150 g's
Force = 24068 lb = 107059 N = 12 tons!!

Stretching seatbelt
If seat belt harness stretches, increasing stopping distance by 50%: 1.5 ft.
Deceleration = 645ft/s2 = 197 m/s2 = 20 g's
Force = 3209 lb = 14274 N = 1.6 tons

These calculated numbers assume constant deceleration, and are therefore an estimate of the average force of impact.

You can also imput your own parameters to see other examples

This gives an example of how much force is necessary to break bones. The article is looking at how much force a human being can generate.

Quote:
Force unleashed

When it comes to unleashing force quickly, Bir and her colleagues investigated boxers and found they could generate up to 5,000 newtons of force with a punch, more than that exerted down by a half-ton on Earth's surface.

When it comes to kicks, "they can obviously generate more force, since there's more body mass behind it," Bir said. After looking at kicks from several different fighting styles, they found that experts could generate up to 9,000 newtons with them, equal to roughly a ton of force.

A quick, sharp blow that delivers some 3,300 newtons of force has a 25 percent chance of cracking an average person's rib, she said. It takes more force to fracture the femur, Bir noted — maybe some 4,000 newtons — since that long thighbone is meant to support the body.
[+]
 Siren.Lordgrim
サーバ: Siren
user: Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2015-01-06 00:50:30  
I got to agree seat belts and airbags are safe and can save your life if your seat is positioned properly based on your height and size. I would not be here typing to you if it was not for those in my opinion. I was in a very bad accident when I was 16 by myself. I made a bad judgment choice of going the speed limit during heavy rain fall when I should of been going half the speed. The limit was 55. My car lifted up due to thick rain on the road I hydroplaned lost control and my car flipped front over end when it went off road down a short hill. It landed head first. My seat belt caught and the air bag deployed. I felt the impact but didn't feel pain I only thought of my family and that I loved them. My legs broke my steering wheel column completely off the dash. My drivers seat was ripped out as my car rolled 3 times hard resting upside down with me laying on my inside roof. My air bag exploded and let me tell you it was very hard to breathe. I tried punching out my window but couldn't move to well. I couldn't open the door either. I thought I was going to suffocate from the air bags residue. I continued to position my body in my twisted car screaming for help until I seen a light as I punched a part of my back seat cushion. I climbed towards the light and realized I exited my car through my trunk. I stood up and walked from my car I only had a few cuts from the shattered glass. My life changed that day and reflects who I am now. I found god and I appreciate life and value it and care a lot more for others around me. I use to never care about anything. I changed in what I see a better man and I have found purpose in life.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [594 days between previous and next post]
 Siren.Lordgrim
サーバ: Siren
user: Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2016-08-21 23:22:29  
Bump

I still serve that purpose