Transgender teen commits suicide
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 8 9 10
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-12-31 10:08:04  
What's wrong with boyscouts? I always thought they were cool.

Like not cool as in damn these guys are so cool, but like you know, cool.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-12-31 10:08:32  
fonewear said: »
So people that commit suicide are some sort of hero for other transgender kids ?
Not at all. They're more of a cautionary tale or a warning. Whether some people think this is worthwhile to discuss or this person is just weak or took the easy way out this suicide represents a problem our society faces. Hopefuly a wake up call to some that not only kids but people in similar situations or those that suffer from depression or other things actually do need help. These are the signs... this is something you can do to help... these are the possible consequences if nothing is done...

Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in America. Over 40,000 people a year succumb to it and a great deal more attempt it or think about it. It's a real problem that mostly gets ignored or written off by many.
By fonewear 2014-12-31 10:09:31  
I agree that it is a problem but posting a click bait thing on buzzfeed isn't the solution.
By fonewear 2014-12-31 10:13:09  
Valefor.Sehachan said: »

The main problem is they don't sell girl scout cookies.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-12-31 10:13:59  
Black atheist activist fascist agenda reporting in for duty, sir!
[+]
By Nazrious 2014-12-31 10:14:12  
Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
So people that commit suicide are some sort of hero for other transgender kids ?
Not at all. They're more of a cautionary tale or a warning. Whether some people think this is worthwhile to discuss or this person is just weak or took the easy way out this suicide represents a problem our society faces. Hopefuly a wake up call to some that not only kids but people in similar situations or those that suffer from depression or other things actually do need help. These are the signs... this is something you can do to help... these are the possible consequences if nothing is done...

Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in America. Over 40,000 people a year succumb to it and a great deal more attempt it or think about it. It's a real problem that mostly gets ignored or written off by many.

All the victims of suicide should unite and do something about this travesty...

Yep I went there.

Suicide is a personal choice, since in this PC world personal choice is king we should leave these people to their choices. If you can choose to be LBGT, neo nazi, etc, then why not suicide?

Least they won't be forcing their issues in the news, politics, or on forums.
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2014-12-31 10:14:40  
modern society puts way to much pressure on gender identity, we even assign gender to inanimate object, ffs no wonder kids are so confused
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-12-31 10:14:58  

Never was a scout but from what I've gleamed from scouts:

>> It's fun as ***.
>> You learn alot of valuable skills + make friends.
>> It's conservative.

It's the third point that people take issue with.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-12-31 10:16:51  
Taking from said teen:

My death needs to be counted in the number of transgender people who commit suicide this year. I want someone to look at that number and say “that’s f----up” and fix it. Fix society. Please.

Someone is a little full of themself no wonder he/she committed suicide.

Quote:
Seems like a normal teen behaviour. Emo thoughts, only I suffer and no one else knows.

Also why teens tend to gravitate towards Ayn Rand.
By fonewear 2014-12-31 10:17:03  
Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »

>> It's fun as ***.
>> It's conservative.

Plus you can learn how to tie like 40 different knots !

[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-12-31 10:17:51  
I agree that it is a problem but posting a click bait thing on buzzfeed isn't the solution.
Sometimes that the only exposure people get to it.

Look at that 16 and pregnant show... it's pretty garbage but in the end it actually seems to be helping to decrease the amount of teen births.

You can also think of it like the daily show where its a show mostly for entertainment but it gets an entirely different segment of the population to be interested in or expesed to important things in our society that they may never have without it. Is that your final resting place? no but it might get you to look into a specific issue more closely.

Getting the word out there is important and sometimes it gets out there and makes a difference via unlikely venues. Sometimes it doesn't.
By fonewear 2014-12-31 10:18:46  
Nazrious said: »

Yep I went there.

Suicide is a personal choice, since in this PC world personal choice is king we should leave these people to their choices. If you can choose to be LBGT, neo nazi, etc, then why not suicide?

We got to save everyone even if it means being put on anti depressants that make you want to commit suicide even more !
By Nazrious 2014-12-31 10:20:04  

>> It's fun as ***.
>> It's conservative.

I think all the rape is the issue... and they don't like gays.
 Ragnarok.Amador
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Amador
By Ragnarok.Amador 2014-12-31 10:20:59  
The main point is that they're all influences which affect decision making in children.

In the boy scout idea, it could lead to a more militarized lifestyle.
Now, this isn't to completely rule out exceptions that do happen, there are a million things that happen to a child that can change their views, wants, and needs.

Being a gamer is an influence as well, you can throw your entire life away and live in your mothers basement. As long as the internet connection is good. You can just kick back and relax. Best of all, you'll have millions just like you who will always support you.
 Valefor.Endoq
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2014-12-31 10:21:02  

>> It's fun as ***.
>> It's conservative.

Liberals become conservatives when they try to ban conservative ideology. Isn't it ironic, dontcha think?
[+]
By fonewear 2014-12-31 10:21:22  

>> It's fun as ***.
>> It's conservative.

It's like my dad tells me " Eventually everyone is going to get raped"
By Jetackuu 2014-12-31 10:21:58  

>> It's fun as ***.
>> It's conservative. run by a Church and can discriminate freely.

ftfy a bit, but more for clarification as "conservative" doesn't always encompass those standards, but I guess to some they do, so carry on.

edit: as a note, they weren't always that way.

edit2: and sometimes it was fun, but for the most part it was annoying.
By Ramyrez 2014-12-31 10:22:47  

>> It's fun as ***.
>> It's conservative.

No problem with scouting specifically, I was one. It's sort of conservative, but really it's not a prevelant theme pushed on you (edit:or at least it wasn't in my case/in my area; I've been told it is a problem in other places.) It's in the rhetoric but the bigger push is on achievements, team building and the like. They are problematic in their treatment of LGBT issues, but they do a lot of good too, so don't throw the baby out with the bathwater, so to speak.

And I'm certainly not saying our military is all bad.

I was simply providing other groups that recruit and influence young and influential minds.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2014-12-31 10:22:55  
bet the last thought in "Leelah"'s head was

"Boy, I wonder how many people are going to feel sorry for me when this is done. I can't wait to see my parents face after this. Oh, ..wait"
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-12-31 10:24:26  
Valefor.Endoq said: »

>> It's fun as ***.
>> It's conservative.

Liberals become conservatives when they try to ban conservative ideology. Isn't it ironic, dontcha think?

Which roots back to dogma; the idea that your opinions can't be challenged or modified.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-12-31 10:24:31  
Ramyrez said: »
military
*zips mouth* Let's leave that alone, wouldn't wanna make mad all the patriotic folks around here.
By fonewear 2014-12-31 10:25:42  
Well in the case of military you better be able to influence me if you are going to ask me to kill people.

It isn't exactly teaching me to tie a boat knot.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-12-31 10:26:53  

Yep I went there.

It's more like the families and friends or the children and loved ones should want to do something... should want to know what the signs are and be able to help the ones they love, to pull them back from the brink.

Like I've tried to explain before suicide is rarely if ever a rational choice people make. There are many factors and many times mental illness of some sort linked to the act. There's a fairly high success rate in helping those with suicidal tendencies get over it.

It has nothing to do with living in a PC world. I don't get how insulting people or making light of their deaths helps at all either though.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-12-31 10:27:32  
Well you can kill yourself and not be a jerk about it...

"My death needs to be counted in the number of transgender people who commit suicide this year. I want someone to look at that number and say “that’s f----up” and fix it. Fix society. Please."

Little bit of arrogance in the underlying message.
By Ramyrez 2014-12-31 10:28:04  
Ramyrez said: »
military
*zips mouth* Let's leave that alone, wouldn't wanna make mad all the patriotic folks around here.

Like I said. I'm not saying every group I listed there is problematic. Obviously terrorists are, but...they share a common theme.

You influence them young and convince them of your ideals young; like it or not, young people are more ready to die for their ideals than older folks. Once you've lived a while, had sex, achieved some things, built up some personal financial worth...you're far less inclined to go die for an ideal.
By Nazrious 2014-12-31 10:28:55  

>> It's fun as ***.
>> It's conservative.

It's like my dad tells me " Eventually everyone is going to get raped"

I think your dad was looking at your avatar and having inappropriate thoughts.

Anyone see the law and order SVU episode, with the Pedophilist or w/e who was born with a love/attraction to little girls?

Just because you are born an idiot does not mean you can push your views on me, or that I have to care if you commit suicide.

Don't kill yourself, instead do something to change your situation.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-12-31 10:29:36  
It's not so much about focusing on the specific victim as it is about focusing on the problem.

Everyone will have their personal opinion on the person or the act but the key should be focusing on preventing this from happening to those we perosnally care about. Being more aware and the like.
By fonewear 2014-12-31 10:29:58  
It's f up that people have to take to tumblr before they commit suicide back in my day we just did it without fanfare !

It is everything surrounding the suicide that I find distasteful the attention seeking the dying for transgender teens etc.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-12-31 10:31:36  
It's f up that people have to take to tumblr before they commit suicide back in my day we just did it without fanfare !
Its actually more uncommon that people do not leave some sort of message before they go. There are just more options of how and where you can leave that message these days.
By Ramyrez 2014-12-31 10:31:56  

Well clearly you're using the royal "we" there, because you're still talking.

That or you didn't follow the knot chart when you tied your own rope.
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 8 9 10