First Page 2
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-12-04 09:28:29  
Apple deleted users' non-iTunes music and didn't tell them about it - Engadget

Apple 'deleted' rivals' music from iPods, court hears - BBC

TLDR: Apple deleted all non iTunes music from iPods and other devices without notifying the owners.

Steve was SUCH a bad boy.
By Jetackuu 2014-12-04 09:29:31  
lolcrapple.
[+]
By FaeQueenCory 2014-12-04 09:35:17  
"We don't need to give users too much information... We don't want to confuse users."

See! It's for our best interest that Apple controls every facet of our technology!
9_9

EDIT: Even though it's *** and stupid, isn't this about a lawsuit from 2010?
Not saying that they wouldn't do that now... But is a 5yrold lawsuit really "news" unless it's just been judged?
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2014-12-04 09:47:51  
I worked for Apple support long enough to know I never want to use iTunes for anything...
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-12-04 10:25:48  
FaeQueenCory said: »
EDIT: Even though it's *** and stupid, isn't this about a lawsuit from 2010?
Not saying that they wouldn't do that now... But is a 5yrold lawsuit really "news" unless it's just been judged?
Apparently it is just now going to court. That makes it news.
 Fenrir.Weakness
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Weakness
By Fenrir.Weakness 2014-12-04 10:39:00  
And people mock me for using winamp.
By fonewear 2014-12-04 10:39:36  
People actually pay for music...news to me!
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-12-04 10:40:15  
Fenrir.Weakness said: »
dude winamp was the ***.

It really whips the Llama's ***.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-12-04 10:43:15  
I'm still using CD's I refuse to live in the modern times though.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-12-04 10:44:15  
fonewear said: »
I'm still using 8-tracks I refuse to live in the modern times though.
ftfy
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-12-04 10:45:48  
Take it from Steve Jobs: Nerds are the true fount of evil.
By fonewear 2014-12-04 10:49:00  
Apple we are an open and diverse company unless you don't have iTunes (or any other Apple product) of course.
By Ramyrez 2014-12-04 10:53:08  

I buy CDs when its reasonable and rip my own MP3s, just because I like having a physical copy to fall back on. But I'm also a music junkie who likes being able to display full racks of obscure albums, too.

But I also believe in paying for music.

No, I'm not interested in hearing (again) why you think it's okay not to, Jet.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-12-04 10:55:17  
I don't listen to music much anymore my generation and so on. I think the Who wrote a song about my dilemma.
By Ramyrez 2014-12-04 11:00:42  
I don't listen to music much anymore my generation and so on. I think the Who wrote a song about my dilemma.

I think it's funny that a guy who wrote "hope I die before I get old" and once famously quipped "don't trust anyone over 30" is now performing that music well past 60.
[+]
 Fenrir.Atheryn
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-12-04 11:20:18  
I love how companies like Apple treat their devices as though the users are only renting them. Like you haven't actually purchased the product, you've only purchased the privilege of using the product.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-12-04 11:20:46  
Fenrir.Atheryn said: »
I love how companies like Apple treat their devices as though the users are only renting them. Like you haven't actually purchased the product, you've only purchased the privilege of using the product.

That is every video you ever purchase if you read the fine print.

Also you technically don't own the game.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-12-04 11:21:55  
Basically software subject to license.
 Asura.Hoshiku
サーバ: Asura
user: Hoshiku
By Asura.Hoshiku 2014-12-04 11:28:10  
Huh, and here I thought that my ipod touch was crashing every few months and requiring a system restore just because it was a POS.
By Ramyrez 2014-12-04 11:36:38  
Asura.Hoshiku said: »
Huh, and here I thought that my ipod touch was crashing every few months and requiring a system restore just because it was a POS.

Can't it be both?
 Bahamut.Dannyl
サーバ: Bahamut
user: dannyl
By Bahamut.Dannyl 2014-12-04 11:39:00  
Fenrir.Weakness said: »

I still use version 2.8. 'Aint no shame in that
[+]
 Fenrir.Atheryn
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-12-04 11:39:04  

Media ownership I can understand, but when it's an actual device like an iPod or an Amazon Kindle, control over how the device behaves should rest with the user. Amazon for example, is horrible about forcing device updates and limiting user access to digital media purchased from Amazon.com.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Reichleiu
サーバ: Asura
user: Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2014-12-04 12:32:20  

Media ownership I can understand, but when it's an actual device like an iPod or an Amazon Kindle, control over how the device behaves should rest with the user. Amazon for example, is horrible about forcing device updates and limiting user access to digital media purchased from Amazon.com.

Don't you know its bad business to make anything that you can use for more than 5 years efficiently anymore? -_-

Try using any modern apps on an iPhone 4. Hell.. just upgrade the iPhone 4 software and OS to the most recent and you won't be able to use Safari without it crashing often.

Its a good business model to create software that forces you to upgrade your hardware to use it properly.(Not just an apple thing though)

I work at an ad agency and literally spend all day using apple products.. I couldn't upgrade our 2010 MacPros to Mavericks OS because "Your machine is not compatible with this software". Needless to say.. we now have "Brand New" 27 inch iMacs.. (a new retina display iMac was released 2 weeks after we got our new machines)

I don't even try doing anything important on my old Macbook Pro from 2008 now.

Its shady as hell, but its smart and all tech companies do it.

Deleting music is a different issue though.
 Fenrir.Mariane
user: leo
By Fenrir.Mariane 2014-12-04 12:33:49  
I hacked my iPOD. :D

I even found a old recovery program Apple had for restoring it which doesn't need itunes installed on the PC. I am safe. Future proof.
By Jetackuu 2014-12-04 12:56:10  
Ramyrez said: »

I buy CDs when its reasonable and rip my own MP3s, just because I like having a physical copy to fall back on. But I'm also a music junkie who likes being able to display full racks of obscure albums, too.

But I also believe in paying for music.

No, I'm not interested in hearing (again) why you think it's okay not to, Jet.
If you don't want to hear it, then don't bring it up.

but lol, mp3, seriously: flac.
By Jetackuu 2014-12-04 12:56:25  
Fenrir.Mariane said: »
I hacked my iPOD. :D

I even found a old recovery program Apple had for restoring it which doesn't need itunes installed on the PC. I am safe. Future proof.
rockbox?
By Jetackuu 2014-12-04 12:57:47  
Asura.Reichleiu said: »

Don't you know its bad business to make anything that you can use for more than 5 years efficiently anymore? -_-

Try using any modern apps on an iPhone 4. Hell.. just upgrade the iPhone 4 software and OS to the most recent and you won't be able to use Safari without it crashing often.

Its a good business model to create software that forces you to upgrade your hardware to use it properly.(Not just an apple thing though)

I work at an ad agency and literally spend all day using apple products.. I couldn't upgrade our 2010 MacPros to Mavericks OS because "Your machine is not compatible with this software". Needless to say.. we now have "Brand New" 27 inch iMacs.. (a new retina display iMac was released 2 weeks after we got our new machines)

I don't even try doing anything important on my old Macbook Pro from 2008 now.

Its shady as hell, but its smart and all tech companies do it.

Deleting music is a different issue though.
poor fellow, /comfort
By Ramyrez 2014-12-04 12:59:22  
Asura.Reichleiu said: »

QFT.

Android does this too, sadly. After the update at the beginning of this year my Droid Razr Maxx went belly-the-***-up.
By Ramyrez 2014-12-04 13:02:53  
Jetackuu said: »
but lol, mp3, seriously: flac.

*shrug*

I have to wonder how many people who use FLAC actually have the speakers/headphones, equalizer knowledge, and the ear to pick out any noticeable difference.

I barely do in most instances, and I'm a musician who has worked with audio software and equipment. Not a great one, but I am one. Most people listening to music are not.

Soooo...
First Page 2