言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Rare Coins + Gold & Silver
Rare Coins + Gold & Silver
First Page 2 3
By Altimaomega 2014-11-11 23:11:02  
Anyone interested and/or collect Rare coins, gold, and silver on this site?

I've been hearing and kinda had the feeling silver is about to sky rocket wondering if anyone else has heard any news or has any feeling on the subject.

Also, found an odd penny the other day, "looks" like it was spooned or been in a washing machine to long. However it is the same size and weight of a normal penny but has a raised rim on each side. Been scouring the internet looking for any info on it.
 Bismarck.Rydin
サーバ: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Ryden
By Bismarck.Rydin 2014-11-11 23:23:32  
It's probably a die error, what year is it?
Die errors are basically when the master die starts to go out so it started to punch through and gives you that scooped impression. There's a bunch of info about this happening to 1968 pennies.

I like to collect for a hobby, and I do pocket what silver coins I can find just out of habit really lol
 Ragnarok.Leysritt
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Leysritt
By Ragnarok.Leysritt 2014-11-11 23:23:46  
Altimaomega said: »

I've been hearing and kinda had the feeling silver is about to sky rocket wondering if anyone else has heard any news or has any feeling on the subject.

Also, found an odd penny the other day, "looks" like it was spooned or been in a washing machine to long. However it is the same size and weight of a normal penny but has a raised rim on each side. Been scouring the internet looking for any info on it.

I have things from silver dimes/nickels/quarters before the law was passed to make them from nickel and copper. I also have liberty dollars from 1921, pure silver as well.

I would go to a flea market and if you can see the facts that it is going to go up, then I would buy a few coins, not to sell as silver, but to keep for a long time. It's not just the fact of what metal they were made with, but they are also memorabilia of that time, such as the indian nickels, or the lead pennies.

Do you have a picture of the penny that I can see? Take a picture and I might be able to help you out.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-11-11 23:24:13  
Chaosx deals with rare/precious metals more than anyone else I know of.

I don't collect the actual metals, I own metal interests, and one of my partnerships is a holding company for rare coins and metals. But that one is an appreciation holding company only.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2014-11-11 23:30:14  
Bismarck.Rydin said: »
Die errors are basically when the master die starts to go out so it started to punch through and gives you that scooped impression. There's a bunch of info about this happening to 1968 pennies.

I like to collect for a hobby, and I do pocket what silver coins I can find just out of habit really lol

Its a 1990 no mint mark. I'm Leaning towards it being heavy stamped.

I've been collecting all kinds of coins since I was like 4. Thinking about selling them and upping my silver hoard.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-11-11 23:33:21  
If you are looking at FMVs of various coins, I would suggest this site

If you are looking to buy gold/silver, I have a website for you, but I don't want to make it public. PM me and I'll send you a link.
By Altimaomega 2014-11-11 23:35:30  
Ragnarok.Leysritt said: »

I have things from silver dimes/nickels/quarters before the law was passed to make them from nickel and copper. I also have liberty dollars from 1921, pure silver as well.

I would go to a flea market and if you can see the facts that it is going to go up, then I would buy a few coins, not to sell as silver, but to keep for a long time. It's not just the fact of what metal they were made with, but they are also memorabilia of that time, such as the indian nickels, or the lead pennies.

Do you have a picture of the penny that I can see? Take a picture and I might be able to help you out.

My kids killed our camera a few weeks ago, wish i could post a pic. Silver hunting is also a hobby of mine. I get 50 cent rolls at the bank and find 40%-90% coins all the time. Got quite a few silver dimes, the war nickels have eluded my grasp. Have a few 1880's Silver dollars.
By Altimaomega 2014-11-11 23:36:29  
Asura.Kingnobody said: »

I don't collect the actual metals, I own metal interests, and one of my partnerships is a holding company for rare coins and metals. But that one is an appreciation holding company only.

I've not been hearing good things about metal interests lately.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-11-11 23:40:28  

It depends on the structure of the holdings.

Also, what your goals are, if you are risk adverse or not, what the intent of the holdings, and the purpose of the purchase and/or sells.

I have a little over 10 thousand shares of a holding when gold was only ~$400 per oz. Mind you, this was about 10 or so years ago.

Each share is 1% of a brick of gold (400 oz), so you can do the math and see how much it appreciated over the last decade.
 Seraph.Ryden
サーバ: Seraph
user: Ryden
By Seraph.Ryden 2014-11-11 23:45:48  
Bismarck.Rydin said: »

Its a 1990 no mint mark. I'm Leaning towards it being heavy stamped.

I've been collecting all kinds of coins since I was like 4. Thinking about selling them and upping my silver hoard.

Yeah I'd say it's just an error during the die process. Silver hoarding isn't bad, specially if you stick with the dollars and what not. Push to shove on coins I like is even if the condition is terrible on older stuff, the value's still there for the metal. suck on that baseball cards lol
By Altimaomega 2014-11-11 23:59:03  

Also, what your goals are, if you are risk adverse or not, what the intent of the holdings, and the purpose of the purchase and/or sells.

I have a little over 10 thousand shares of a holding when gold was only ~$400 per oz. Mind you, this was about 10 or so years ago.

Each share is 1% of a brick of gold (400 oz), so you can do the math and see how much it appreciated over the last decade.

Yea Gold is insane. Got out of that when it went over 2k an once.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2014-11-12 00:16:00  
that 1990 penny, it has no mint mark on it at all?
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2014-11-12 00:20:25  
Bismarck.Snprphnx said: »
that 1990 penny, it has no mint mark on it at all?

Have it looked at my an expert in your area. It MAY be one of these.
http://www.pcgs.com/top100/coin9.aspx

Try not to get too excited. It may be overly worn, as you suggested. But it is worth looking into.
By Altimaomega 2014-11-12 00:26:39  
That's interesting.. It is wore probably EF grade.
 Bahamut.Kara
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-11-12 02:40:54  
It might be a coin from an uncirculated set? Some of the pennies I've seen from the 1960's uncirculated sets have a "scooped" effect.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
サーバ: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-11-12 05:57:01  
KN is right. I've been dealing with coins for the past 20 years now, rare and precious metals for about 15 of those 20 years. Ask away and I'll let you know the real deal.

As for the market right now, I've talked to every facet of the business about it, except for the EFT holders... Even then I read the news on what those types have to say.

So basically right now with silver being just below $16 and ounce, the absolutely cheapest you can buy is still only a few cents short of $20. Provident metals (well known site no need to hide it, lol) has some private mint stuff, but even that is still ~$3 over spot. The reason is no one is selling. Everyone like to buy low, but no one likes to sell low either. So the spot prices you see are not a real reflection of supply and demand, rather buy and sells of holdings. I think KN would have more insight into that field.

So right now is the time to buy, if you can find anybody selling at a decent rate. Also don't waste your money on graded stuff, unless it's something ultra rare, otherwise you're just tossing money down the drain. Keep it in a sealed plastic holder yourself in a cool dry place and it'll be fine.

That's funny I did that same thing for palladium back when it was $696/ounce and sold when it hit just over $900/ounce. Got in and out just in time. :D My one and only dealing with EFTs.

Good old Russian palladium.

Metals are always safe to invest in. Diversity is the key, and patience. If spot prices start to fall, it weeds out the impatient and noobs. Like I said no one is selling for the spot price right now. Everyone is holding on to them, so spot price becomes more of guide than actual price. It's always a good sign when local businesses (coin shops and such) offer a better price or similar to online companies.

The majority of people will tell you silver is your best bet right now. Gold for long term. (think retirement or close to it) Personally I just like the way it looks.

Palladium is one of those things where you got to watch and analysis the whole picture. Haven't dabbled with platinum, but I might with prices at gold level prices a year ago.

Then there's your base metals. Trying to rank them in order and be quick about it (also just thinking of the ones I have, lol). Titanium, Tin, Nickel, Copper, Zinc, and pure Aluminum. All must be pure (99+ %). Take note they go by the pound on the market. Things like copper, aluminum, and zinc are best left to investors. But I like to have things I can personal hold and touch, lol. Also don't forget lead. Wash your hands though after touching.

As for your penny, I'd need to see a picture as to not speculate. 1990, proof like appearance probably not worth much. But that's sight unseen.

Gold will rise again over time, always does, same with silver. Just look at the prices of both over the past 25 years. They follow a simple curve. Spot prices are largely based on speculation relating to the reported numbers of things like job growth and .$DXY (dollar index). Very easily manipulated until the laws of supply and demand bite back.

TL;DR, need to see a picture to let you know if it's worth anything.

Buy silver, always, and gold when you can, unless it's in the middle of a 'growth spurt.' That gold is your ticket to retirement.

The demand of silver has a bonus as some products use silver at the molecular level and thus making recovery near impossible whereas gold used in industry can usually be recovered.

For anything non-physical, ask KN or someone who deals with that type of thing.

Also as a side note check out these two latest acquisitions to my collection:

Nazi Silver (90%):

Even better is this one I randomly spotted at a local dealer. When I got a chance to check out the history and value, turns out this particular year only minted some 472 (around) of these. Value is ~$75, spot price $58.15. Always best to sell to private parties or collectors rather than take the spot price. I paid $60 even for this.

As a side note (again):

A few months ago, back in June, I was at an American legion in upstate NY. There was a WWII veteran who hangs out there a lot. Not only should you always take a moment of your time to talk to these rare people, but when you talk to them about precious metals, IE. gold and silver, well that's when the conversation gets interesting and lasts for hours, lol. They know what's up.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-11-12 06:22:44  
If you are looking at FMVs of various coins, I would suggest this site

If you are looking to buy gold/silver, I have a website for you, but I don't want to make it public. PM me and I'll send you a link.
Just out of curiosity, PM me that site. I'm always looking to buy, especially since I'm leaving the country for the foreseeable future.
 Fenrir.Weakness
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Weakness
By Fenrir.Weakness 2014-11-12 06:36:29  
Just to mildly high jack, but semi on topic since KN knows stock stuff.

Been thinking of retirement stuffs, was thinking of gold stocks. Would it be better to do stocks or just invest in physical gold?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-11-12 07:12:41  
Fenrir.Weakness said: »
Just to mildly high jack, but semi on topic since KN knows stock stuff.

Been thinking of retirement stuffs, was thinking of gold stocks. Would it be better to do stocks or just invest in physical gold?
Depends.

8-10 years ago I would have told you to diversify. 20% or so in metals, 80% in stock/bonds. Now that it seems like metals have capped, I would go 100% stock/bonds for at least 5 years, and reevaluate the metals markets to see if it's still capped or not.

Metals are only worth it if you buy for the long-term (like just starting to save for retirement, not when you are about to retire).

If you would like, PM me and I'll give you my top 3 "risk adverse" choices for long-term stock. I highly discourage short-term sales, because it is very hard to predict the future on a short-term basis and you are pretty much spinning the wheel on making any real income.
 Fenrir.Weakness
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Weakness
By Fenrir.Weakness 2014-11-12 07:41:43  
I'm still young(ish), so just trying to plan on investing in something that will appreciate over the next 30~35 years that I can cash out at retirement. Gold just seemed a safe bet for the long term, from what I have read it is pretty stable.

Highly doubt my wife's and my 401k's plus pensions are going to be enough in the end. Because lolsocial security won't be around when I retire.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-11-12 07:53:23  
Gonna disagree with KN a little here. I would never go 100% on stocks/bonds/EFTs. I'd say if you want to go safe do 50/50, or at least 40% physical 60% holdings. Personally I go ~85% physical, but that's just me.

Even if you keep it locked up somewhere. Safe in house, safe deposit box, or dig a hole and bury them, lol.

(I did that when I was 17 and finally found it back in May. Was trying to dig it up since 2011, but forgot exactly where it was. Had to get a metal detector, lol. It was mainly 90% silver quarters, Morgan Dollars from the 1800s and 1oz Krugerrand gold pieces. Well worth the search, though my mom was pissed before I found it, digging up her yard and all. )
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-11-12 08:02:07  
Well, if you think that gold is going to appreciate at the same rate as it did for the past 10 or so years, I would go with Chaosx advice.

But right now, because interest rates are low, it's better to do stocks (mutual funds are better, as they are more diversified) over bonds.

Again, this is long-term planning. I don't think we will ever see a 300% rate of return for gold again, unless we have another "Great Recession" or some similar financial meltdown. Which I don't see in the private markets anytime soon (governmental loans and notes, however...)

Land is also a great market to be in at the moment. But you need a whole lot of money to do it. Land appreciation has skyrocketed in South Texas and North Dakota within the last 4 years due to fracking.

But I digress. I place my money on steady growth, not rapid/unstable growth. A whole lot less chance on losing value in the long-run, and historical returns tend to favor stable/steady growth over unstable holdings.
 Bahamut.Kara
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-11-12 08:18:35  
Investing in stocks long term hasn't been a good idea in many, many years. Most stocks give no or little dividends and the steady, risk adverse stocks apperciate at a rate pretty much steady with inflation.

In todays world high frequency trading and information flow makes stocks volatile (or have excellent liquidity, depending on who you ask) and react to information quickly (quarterly reports, politics, financial scandals, etc).

Traditional finance theory states you should diversify between various financial instruments however it is also highly dependant on the time of your life. If you aren't retiring for 30+ years this is not the time to be heavily risk adverse as you are not dependant on the market income to survive. Long term stock investments and bonds (fixed income markets) are risk adverse.

Remember no matter what you invest in you should not take potential ups and downs to heart. You haven't lost anything or gained anything until you cash out.

You can always invest in mutual funds to get your feet wet, but, personally, I don't think you get as much bang for your buck with the transaction costs you end up paying (entry and exit fees into the fund, as well as, any taxes on gains).

Google, yahoo, and finviz allow you to track current markets and view historical data (usually daily, open and close).

Also remember that there is more than just the stock, bond, and metal commodity markets. Foreign exchange, options, all commodity futures, forwards, or more unusual options of investing with venture capital companies or microloan companies.

Heavily researching anything you are going to put money in is a very good idea.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-11-12 08:18:53  
There's a lot of bubbles about to burst. Housing market is bubbling up, student loan bubble, stock market bubble (especially Dow Jones), and of course all that cheap money is going to produce some extraordinary consequences. I was thinking they were going to pass the buck to the ECB, but instead Japan took it for now. All while wages and therefore savings have stagnated.

To be fair though I haven't looked into the U.S. housing market in detail, but I could see buying cheap land because of fracking as a viable investment right now, that is until the fracking industry bursts as well. Remember fracking is only profitable as long oil remains above $70 a barrel.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-11-12 08:22:27  
Bahamut.Kara said: »
Foreign exchange.
I should have put this link here.

Just linking the post.

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/43490/random-politics-religion/133/#2749557
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-11-12 08:48:07  
Bahamut.Kara said: »
Investing in stocks long term hasn't been a good idea in many, many years. Most stocks give no or little dividends and the steady, risk adverse stocks apperciate at a rate pretty much steady with inflation.

In todays world high frequency trading and information flow makes stocks volatile (or have excellent liquidity, depending on who you ask) and react to information quickly (quarterly reports, politics, financial scandals, etc).

Traditional finance theory states you should diversify between various financial instruments however it is also highly dependant on the time of your life. If you aren't retiring for 30+ years this is not the time to be heavily risk adverse as you are not dependant on the market income to survive. Long term stock investments and bonds (fixed income markets) are risk adverse.

Remember no matter what you invest in you should not take potential ups and downs to heart. You haven't lost anything or gained anything until you cash out.

You can always invest in mutual funds to get your feet wet, but, personally, I don't think you get as much bang for your buck with the transaction costs you end up paying (entry and exit fees into the fund, as well as, any taxes on gains).

Google, yahoo, and finviz allow you to track current markets and view historical data (usually daily, open and close).

Also remember that there is more than just the stock, bond, and metal commodity markets. Foreign exchange, options, all commodity futures, forwards, or more unusual options of investing with venture capital companies or microloan companies.

Heavily researching anything you are going to put money in is a very good idea.
You forget that most people today do not think in the long-term, and will jump ship at the first sign of trouble, which makes the markets even more volatile.

You are only thinking about one side of the equation, you need to think about the human factor that goes into this, especially the most dangerous one of them all; the day-trader.

But in reality, it depends on the strategy that the person has and what they project the future will be. My idea of the markets are different than yours, and we will not know who's right and who's wrong until after it happens.

Either way, we will be both in a better position, worse position, or split position.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-11-12 08:49:06  
Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
There's a lot of bubbles about to burst. Housing market is bubbling up, student loan bubble, stock market bubble (especially Dow Jones), and of course all that cheap money is going to produce some extraordinary consequences. I was thinking they were going to pass the buck to the ECB, but instead Japan took it for now. All while wages and therefore savings have stagnated.

To be fair though I haven't looked into the U.S. housing market in detail, but I could see buying cheap land because of fracking as a viable investment right now, that is until the fracking industry bursts as well. Remember fracking is only profitable as long oil remains above $70 a barrel.
Everything is a bubble to you, isn't it? lol
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-11-12 09:01:42  

It's been that way since 1913. :P
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-11-12 09:04:40  

It's been that way since 1913 1531. :P
ftfy
[+]
First Page 2 3