users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » The Children Are Our Future
The Children Are Our Future
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
サーバ: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-09-08 12:24:14  
Poor, ignorant, stupid people bathed in ghetto culture loathe intelligent people who look like they're going places. Why? Because they're jealous of those people. The accusation of 'acting white' is merely 'acting smart, not being like everyone else'. Ignorance begets ignorance.

It's also part of the problem why poor communities lack the economic support they need because those smart folk don't give back to their community partly because they're forced out rather than uplifted. So the ghetto continues to fester fail and the few gems don't look back.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-09-08 12:41:19  
Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
White superiority still runs heavy in hispanic communities where the darker you are, the less you're worth.

Thanks Europe!

Isn't that common in Asia also? Lighter skin was also indicative of socio-economic class?

I'm not too keen on Asian culture myself so I'll bow out there. Generally however the darker you are, the more ***you're gonna get. I have read about the skin lightening craze in India but again that roots back to white / European superiority both culturally, economically etc. People are forced to mold themselves towards the 'ideal' and in that case it's your atypical European.

I've seen enough Indians can put my mocha tone to bed though.

Though I kinda find it funny that if you're *too* white, you're looked down upon by other white people as being sickly, pale or a cancer patient. #whitepeopleproblems

The trend I saw in Hong Kong was try to be as light as possible. Parasols were used everywhere.

From what I could tell it showed economic status. Those that worked outside were poorer and had less opportunity to preserve (lighten?) their skin. Whereas those that worked in finance (and higher economic class) had very, very light skin.

Whereas in Europe and NA being tanned means you have more free time, which *usually* correlates to better pay =more free time (excluding farmers tans).

But that's just my observation.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-09-08 12:47:03  

This is some of the most ignorant spew on this site, and that's saying something.

The preference for lighter skin amongst Asians has absolutely nothing to do with Europe, it's been going on since well before Christ. Contrary to some of your opinions, Europe isn't the center of the world. It's pretty simple really, skin color was indicative of how much time you and your family spent in the sunlight working. Someone who spent most of their time inside a tent or home would have a markedly lighter tone of skin then someone who toiled away in a field for twelve or more hours a day. People of a higher socioeconomic status would be inside and own slaves / servants of some sort who would do all the manual work outside. Those of a lower socioeconomic would have to work outside as farmers or some sort of laborer. That's right, people other then evil white folks owned slaves and it had nothing to do with the white people.

And so for about three to four thousand years (the region has about five thousand years of history though the first two millennia are kinda sketchy) light skinned people were preferred to over dark skinned people. Zero European input. And contrary to the beliefs present by some of more racist people here, racism wasn't invented by evil europeans. I swear some of you guys look to insert anti-white racism into every possible situation imaginable.
 Caitsith.Zahrah
サーバ: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-09-08 12:54:57  
White superiority still runs heavy in hispanic communities where the darker you are, the less you're worth.

Thanks Europe!

Isn't that common in Asia also? Lighter skin was also indicative of socio-economic class?

I'm not too keen on Asian culture myself so I'll bow out there. Generally however the darker you are, the more ***you're gonna get. I have read about the skin lightening craze in India but again that roots back to white / European superiority both culturally, economically etc. People are forced to mold themselves towards the 'ideal' and in that case it's your atypical European.

I've seen enough Indians can put my mocha tone to bed though.

Though I kinda find it funny that if you're *too* white, you're looked down upon by other white people as being sickly, pale or a cancer patient. #whitepeopleproblems

Well, I was thinking along the lines of some anecdotes friends' mothers and/or grandmothers, who got the Hell out of Dodge (Korea/Vietnam) and dropped in terms of cultural aesthetic preferences.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-09-08 12:57:36  
All that Saevel and you still couldn't be arsed to read the first sentence.

I'm not too keen on Asian culture myself so I'll bow out there.

Fun times. Also, who said Europeans invented racism or some strawman ***?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-09-08 13:03:52  
It would be fine except you didn't "bow out there". Instead you went on to demonstrate your ignorance by blaming white folk.

Quote:
I have read about the skin lightening craze in India but again that roots back to white / European superiority both culturally, economically etc. People are forced to mold themselves towards the 'ideal' and in that case it's your atypical European.

In case you haven't checked a globe lately, India is in Asia.

The preference for lighter skinned folk in Asia has to do with where your family worked, and has nothing to do with your hated Europe.
 Caitsith.Zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-09-08 13:04:28  
Please don't encourage him. -.-
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
サーバ: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-09-08 13:05:57  

Thanks Europe!

It stems from a feudalistic mentality that the paler the skin, the less time in the fields a person spends. (IE Serfs tend to be very tan)

This is typically true of any agricultural society.

I'm sure there's a Game of Thrones quote somewhere that proves my point.

Fun Fantasy Fact: Being Pale in Orc Society grants status and an automatic officer's commission.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-08 13:09:55  
Lakshmi.Saevel said: »
It would be fine except you didn't "bow out there". Instead you went on to demonstrate your ignorance by blaming white folk.

Quote:
I have read about the skin lightening craze in India but again that roots back to white / European superiority both culturally, economically etc. People are forced to mold themselves towards the 'ideal' and in that case it's your atypical European.

The preference for lighter skinned folk in Asia has to do with where your family worked, and has nothing to do with your hated Europe.

Eh, indian culture is generally WAY different than Asian cultures. Russia is in Asia as well, and you wouldn't say that Slavic culture lines up with Asian cultures by proximity.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-09-08 13:14:47  
Odin.Jassik said: »

Quote:

Eh, indian culture is generally WAY different than Asian cultures. Russia is in Asia as well, and you wouldn't say that Slavic culture lines up with Asian cultures by proximity.

Yes but the preference for light skinned people is from the exact same place as every other society. The labor class worked all day and got very dark skin while the high class stayed inside and had servants and thus was lighter in skin color. And culturally speaking India was more influenced by trade with China then by Europe, it wasn't until the last few centuries that this changed. People seem to forget that China was a regional power while the rest of the world was still trying to figure out basic math. History didn't start in the late 19th century.

Interesting tidbit for those closet racists out there. The whole reason we have different skin pigmentation is micro-evolution that happened as the human race left out of Africa and spent a couple tens of thousands of years migrating all over the place. Those humans that settled in area's with large amounts of UV radiation ended up with dark skin while those who settled in area's with lesser amounts evolved lighter color skin. Those crazy enough to settle in extremely cold places, in comparison to our originating point, ended up with very little pigmentation in the skin. Human skin also undergoes further changes based on daily UV intake after birth, with more intake resulting in darker skin. This effect is noticeable to even the most uneducated, illiterate humans living in straw huts and wearing animal skins. So it's not that much of a stretch to see how in virtually all societies around the globe a persons skin pigmentation would be associated with how much time they spent in direct sunlight and by association their socioeconomic status.

But hey lets just blame white people cause that's vogue.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-08 13:16:47  
Odin.Jassik said: »

Quote:

Yes but the preference for light skinned people is from the exact same place as every other society. The labor class worked all day and got very dark skin while the high class stayed inside and had servants and thus was lighter in skin color. And culturally speaking India was more influenced by trade with China then by Europe, it wasn't until the last few centuries that this changed. People seem to forget that China was a regional power while the rest of the world was still trying to figure out basic math. History didn't start in the late 19th century.

I won't pretend to be an expert on Indian or Asian history, just pointing out that ethnic asian and geographical asian are different.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-09-08 13:20:57  
Is Saevels ego done feasting for the day yet?

You got me bro, you win this round, you're the best. Also, thanks for the geography lesson, I never knew India was in Asia. Next week we can go over where Afghanistan is and you can point out Iraq to me on a map.

To bathe in your illumination is but a gift for such creatures who writhe about in the soil as myself.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-09-08 13:27:45  
It's messed up that the most racist people who absolutely refuse to acknowledge their own racism, are the ones who vocal about blaming stuff on racism. Sparth, you and those like you, are the reason racism is alive and well in the western world.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-09-08 13:36:12  
Ah yes, the old reverse racism trick.

Because old Sparthy has the power to affect the levers of power in West with his vast stores of capital and ability to impart his worldview upon the greater audience with a wave of his wand.

I'm sure I'm a bile spewing racist, I just needed you to tell me that.
 Ragnarok.Zeig
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2014-09-08 13:36:49  
Racism has been around as long as humans have been around. "Us" and "Them" have continued to exist to this day.

I think that most cultures considered lighter skin color (especially for females) more attractive. Chinese, Japanese (think of geishas), Indians, Arabs, Europeans..I don't know about Africans, but I wouldn't expect them to value lighter skin (if they didn't looked at it negatively). The tanning fad only started in the 20th century.
 Caitsith.Zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-09-08 13:37:18  
Is Saevels ego done feasting for the day yet?

While presenting a wee bit o' info that is common knowledge at this point? Who would have thunk it?
 Cerberus.Pleebo
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-09-08 13:39:53  
It's messed up that the most racist people who absolutely refuse to acknowledge their own racism, are the ones who vocal about blaming stuff on racism.
You mean like the racists who've tried to inject white victimism into a news story that has nothing to do with white people?
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-09-08 13:41:26  
Ragnarok.Zeig said: »
Racism has been around as long as humans have been around. "Us" and "Them" have continued to exist to this day.

I think that most cultures considered lighter skin color (especially for females) more attractive. Chinese, Japanese (think of geishas), Indians, Arabs, Europeans..I don't know about Africans, but I wouldn't expect them to value lighter skin (if they didn't looked at it negatively). The tanning fad only started in the 20th century.

Lighter skin used to be indicative of femininity in general in art. Mesopotamia, Egypt (even during Akhenaten's reign where the figure become more androgynous), Greece, Rome, etc.
[+]
 Leviathan.Kaparu
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Tsuko
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2014-09-08 13:43:15  
Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »
Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
If this incident is any indication of what the future may hold for the next generation, I think there might be a problem

This has actually been going on for a long time in minority groups. I used to get called "white-washed" all the time in school. Basically if you don't act ethnic enough some groups view you as a traitor to their race.

This used to happen to me, as well.

The issue mostly resolved itself when people realized I actually was white.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-09-08 13:45:05  
Leviathan.Kaparu said: »
Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »
Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
If this incident is any indication of what the future may hold for the next generation, I think there might be a problem

This has actually been going on for a long time in minority groups. I used to get called "white-washed" all the time in school. Basically if you don't act ethnic enough some groups view you as a traitor to their race.

This used to happen to me, as well.

The issue mostly resolved itself when people realized I actually was white.

lol
 Ragnarok.Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2014-09-08 13:59:59  

Lighter skin used to be indicative of femininity in general in art. Mesopotamia, Egypt (even during Akhenaten's reign where the figure become more androgynous), Greece, Rome, etc.
Well, it's actually a simple observation: females (naturally) have lighter skin than males (within the same family/tribe/population).

But, within these same populations, lighter skin for females meant more beauty and attractiveness.
[+]
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-09-08 14:08:20  

Well, it's actually a simple observation: females (naturally) have lighter skin than males (within the same family/tribe/population).

But, within these same populations, fairer skin for females meant more beauty and attractiveness.
FTFY
It's not necessarily lighter, but fairer skin in general.

Sometimes that fairness of the skin, leads to a higher chance of genetic change causing the skin to appear lighter. Hell, even those born to double dark parents can and have ended up with extremely light skin, regardless of time spent outdoors under a blazing sun.

The fairer one's skin was, the closer to being a divine being they were looked upon as, and treated with more care, in case they were truly descended from the heavens.
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
サーバ: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-09-08 14:23:04  
It's also part of the problem why poor communities lack the economic support they need because those smart folk don't give back to their community partly because they're forced out rather than uplifted.

You're not necessarily forced out. It's that you don't want to live there anymore. When you obtain the finances you move to a better area.

Also, I think a lot of educated and/or affluent minorities do give back.

There's tons of non-profits, fraternities/sororities, etc who give back to their community.

Hispanic College Fund
Sigma Lambda Beta and Sigma Lambda Gamma
SACNAS
MEChA

That's just at the university level, but yeah tons of people give back.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-09-08 14:27:36  
not sure what the thread title "The Children Are Our Future" have to rly do with this artical, but its there so this is mandatory.

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-09-08 14:36:56  
May as well (0:12)...

For you, Pleebo and Mag.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-09-08 14:44:39  
May as well (0:12)...

For you, Pleebo and Mag.
That looks like it's 7 levels of HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.
 Sylph.Safiyyah
サーバ: Sylph
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2014-09-08 15:03:30  
This topic is bad and you should feel bad.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
サーバ: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-09-08 15:21:19  
the children are our future eh? let's kill them all!!!

[+]
 Ragnarok.Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2014-09-08 15:45:25  
Bismarck.Bloodrose said: »

But, within these same populations, fairer skin for females meant more beauty and attractiveness.
FTFY
It's not necessarily lighter, but fairer skin in general.

Sometimes that fairness of the skin, leads to a higher chance of genetic change causing the skin to appear lighter. Hell, even those born to double dark parents can and have ended up with extremely light skin, regardless of time spent outdoors under a blazing sun.

The fairer one's skin was, the closer to being a divine being they were looked upon as, and treated with more care, in case they were truly descended from the heavens.
I was about to type "fair", but I thought "fair skin" and "light skin" were synonyms. I guess they are not?
Does fairer mean lighter as compared to the same population/racial group?
 Leviathan.Chaosx
サーバ: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-08 15:49:11  

But, within these same populations, lighter skin for females meant more beauty and attractiveness.
This is about the only form of racism I've seen in person. Where 2 black females fight over the tone of their skin. With the lighter one being the subject of ridicule because it's deemed more desirable to males. As in they're jealous of her.