Random Politics & Religion #00

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 993 994 995 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Cerberus.Pleebo
サーバ: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-10-01 21:28:19  
The Onion is known for its subtlety. Ugh, if you have to explain the satire...

The point is that we're not actually allowed to discuss solutions. The dialogue is either shut down as political point scoring or shrugged off as pointless. We've been conditioned out of sheer frequency of occurrence that this is just the way things are and have to be. Mentioning we might have a problem is just capitalizing on tragedy so we must wait for the correct time. The problem, though, is finding that small window in the year where a shooting won't happen.

Barring a huge transformation in American culture, there is no solution. At least not a politically tenable one. So in the meanwhile, we all just internalize the fear of dying senseless in some public place until the next monthly event comes along.

Undelete | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Ravael
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-10-01 21:29:27  
Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »
Yeah a shotgun or sidearm is perfect for home defence for civilians if you're in like an apocalypse situation or the country is being invaded or during anarchy.

You're not.

Doesn't matter. Ideals aren't going to forcibly remove guns. It's impossible.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-10-01 21:31:37  
You guys just came from shitty roots, that's all. We all have to go through this hard transition and now it's america's turn to continue growing past theirs.

What's your solution? Feels them away? There would be more deaths from trying to take people's guns than anywhere near the amount you'd be saving.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-10-01 21:33:06  
You'll learn. Remember how much racism was part of the founding fathers ideals as well?

If you can overcome that, you can overcome this.
We have yet to overcome racism.

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-10-01 21:36:20  
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
You guys just came from shitty roots, that's all. We all have to go through this hard transition and now it's america's turn to continue growing past theirs.

What's your solution? Feels them away? There would be more deaths from trying to take people's guns than anywhere near the amount you'd be saving.
Put the rules into place as my other post stated, that strict.

The older generations will eventually die off and we'll be left with a nation of people who don't need to carry automatic rifles around during peacetime to feel safe.

You're completely missing the point. Rules are only good if you can enforce them. There isn't a snowball's chance it would work.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-10-01 21:57:09  

The older generations will eventually die off and we'll be left with a nation of people who don't need to carry automatic rifles around during peacetime to feel safe.

You're completely missing the point. Rules are only good if you can enforce them. There isn't a snowball's chance it would work.
I never said it would be easy, especially at first. But it's not impossible to enforce it just has to be well compensated.

I don't think you fully comprehend the gun culture in the U.S. If it didn't outright turn into civil war, there would be so many deaths that the government would be forced to either repeal the law or murder its own citizens en masse to make it happen. This fairyland where people grumble but eventually make way for puppies and rainbows in gun-free America is never going to happen.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-10-01 22:05:59  
you're underestimating the effect events like todays have on people; Imagine them more often and getting even more graphic and even more media coverage.

If we can move past this much racism, we can move past the gun nuts.

The only people that events like these convince that there need to be less guns are people who are already pro gun control. A lot of other people feel the need to protect themselves even more.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-10-01 22:07:25  

It has nothing to do with being safe (not to mention that nobody carries automatic rifles around).

It has everything to do with exercising one's right as they should.

The beauty of the 2nd amendment is that we won't need it until people try to take it away, and like he said: there would be so many deaths from that.

Your "strict rules" are severely unconstitutional and a violation of our fundamental rights, kindly keep them to yourself in the hat.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-10-01 22:08:10  
you're underestimating the effect events like todays have on people; Imagine them more often and getting even more graphic and even more media coverage.

If we can move past this much racism, we can move past the gun nuts.

People who like their rights aren't "gun nuts" stop calling them as such, it's derogatory and unnecessary.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-10-01 22:08:51  
Not at all.

I'll pass on "growing past" having my rights, thanks.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
By Jetackuu 2015-10-01 22:12:35  
Asura.Floppyseconds said: »
however it is just completely obvious we need gun control.
I severely disagree.

Hunting rifles with separately locked and secured ammo en route to the firing range or designated wildlife hunting area is adequate for citizens.

The normal citizen does not need to be proficient with shotguns/sidearms/automatic weapons/rocket launchers etc, you are not a country anyone would invade. If you want to play Rambo join the military.

Sidearms for private detectives and security/police with licenses stating they underwent strict training. Citizens can keep a baseball bat and mace at home if they're worried about home invasions.

This wouldn't stop a psycho, but it's a good step towards less crime and changing the stigma surrounding gun usage.
Yeah, no.

Mace is illegal in a lot of areas (ironic).

You don't get to decide what's adequate for citizens, it's up to the individual to device what they want. None of that would reduce crime and would be a severe infringement of our rights, please, stop.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-10-01 22:14:01  
Your "fundamental rights" also included black people being less than human, stop blinding clinging to them like a deity wrote them.

Yeah, no.

I took the time to not insult you, you could at least do the same.

Post deleted by User.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
By Jetackuu 2015-10-01 22:30:42  
I use the term gun nuts because wanting to keep loaded weapons around designed purely to kill other humans is not a basic human right in this part of the world, it's beyond unnecessary.

This is out of the realm of hunting for food and defending yourself in a country like yours and mine; The only thing you can do is harm your fellow countrymen at this point. Which are not enemies of the state to warrant such excess.

You're taking the extreme response and you're applying it to everyday life in a civilized culture far above it, that is why you have so many problems like this.

See, there's part of your problem. Guns are designed to fire a projectile.

You consider it to be unnecessary, others don't. Stop projecting your point of view on others' rights, it's disgusting.

Disagree.

Disagree.

I don't think that you understand exactly what we consider a right and why it's considered as such.

Rights are something that exist with or without government, while they can be infringed they still exist. They're fundamental rights of any people, and yes it took some time (and is still taking time) for some parts of our heritage to shed not granting everyone the same treatment under the law, but it doesn't mean that the rights aren't ours still.

There are problems with having an armed populace, but they are problems that are better than not having an armed populace. That's philosophy there.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
By Jetackuu 2015-10-01 22:40:29  
Jetackuu said: »
There are problems with having an armed populace, but they are problems that are better than not having an armed populace.
I don't know what to say to this.

It's worded poorly, I'll rephrase a bit.

I'd rather deal with the problems of an armed populace than an unarmed one.

Can interchange society, citizens, etc.

Like I said it's a philosophical difference.
 Phoenix.Xantavia
サーバ: Phoenix
user: xantavia
By Phoenix.Xantavia 2015-10-01 22:40:35  
Quote:
And yet the argument for having guns is so they can shoot fire projectiles at bad guys. It's a *** semantics argument.
By Jetackuu 2015-10-01 22:42:37  
Phoenix.Xantavia said: »
Quote:
And yet the argument for having guns is so they can shoot fire projectiles at bad guys. It's a *** semantics argument.
And the anti-gun argument is a *** emotional one. I hate to tell you (and others) but semantics actually matter a lot.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-10-01 22:43:55  
It's amazing what a government can do to its people when it has all of the firepower. That's one of the major things that the 2nd amendment is designed to protect against.

Post deleted by User.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-01 22:59:25  
It's amazing what a government can do to its people when it has all of the firepower. That's one of the major things that the 2nd amendment is designed to protect against.

Nobody honestly believes that they hold any real power with small arms. Unless at least 5% of the population in any given area mounted an open rebellion and the other 95% stood by, they'd be nothing more than a dot on a map to the National Guard, and that's assuming they didn't deploy active duty soldiers. When the army had muskets and horses, the 2nd amendment made some sense in that context, not so much anymore. It's a relic of a different time, and if there weren't so many weapons floating around, it wouldn't change much if it went away.
First Page 2 3 ... 993 994 995 ... 1375 1376 1377