Random Politics & Religion #00

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 936 937 938 ... 1375 1376 1377
VIP
By Jassik 2015-09-17 10:20:23  
Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
The key is finding the right balance as to not diminish the value of current degrees, or at least compensate them somehow.

The value of current degrees is already near zero for many. Sure, some fields require degrees and certification, like medical or law, but most only favor them. Even moreso in trades, where apprenticeships are viewed as superior because trades just aren't able to be taught well in a classroom setting. Of the jobs I've had experience with that required a degree, they rarely even required it be in the same field or related field, they just required mid-level managers to have a bachelor's in anything.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-09-17 10:20:48  
Ramyrez said: »
and you don't know what you're getting yourself into. Which I think is evident by the amount of major changes you see among year 1-3 university students.
Yeah, I added that to my post as you were typing that. I have had this problem too, honestly.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-09-17 10:21:54  
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
and you don't know what you're getting yourself into. Which I think is evident by the amount of major changes you see among year 1-3 university students.
Yeah, I added that to my post as you were typing that. I have had this problem too, honestly.

As did I.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-09-17 10:23:34  
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Drama Torama said: »
I'd like to see a resurgence of trade schools, actually. Not everyone needs a bachelor's. But a one/two year program to get really good at <insert skilled labor position here>? Gets people into the workforce faster, with a marketable skillset and less debt (either theirs or ours).

I learned almost nothing relating to my actual career in college, so I might have a lower opinion on a degree's value in the first place.

I have to agree on the trade school part. If we ever have to front the costs for some form of "free" college education, I'd much rather see it go to degrees that provide easy entry into the work force instead of watching the costs pave the way for Johnny to play the tuba for four years.

Hey, it's the attack the arts argument. Never seen this one before, nope. Because music isn't a skill, valuable or in any way applicable to a career. *rolls eyes*

What is 'easy' entry into the workforce? When has community college investment been anything but a net gain for the taxpayer? If you're going to school to study music or something of passion, you're probably going to stick with it and work helluva harder than *insert some soulless position here*. I mean I could sit here and bash maritime school or any off the beaten path career but people typically put more into something when they like it. And community colleges are that place to at least get a decent start.

I much rather Johnny play the tuba and make a steady income playing weddings for the rest of his life than join the STEM bloat that will pop come 20 years when everyone floods the market and brings the price down to poop.
[+]
Administrator
サーバ: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2015-09-17 10:24:56  
Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
College isn't solely about learning things related to your degree. It's more about transitioning from that immature post-HS life in an environment dedicated to learning and expanding one's horizons - if you so choose. A place where you can travel abroad, meet new people, learn new things or just loaf about and do ***. It's the sample platter that you don't even know is a sample platter.

-Elective classes
-Internships
-Clubs
-Study Abroad

What separates the college graduate from the typical HS grad is the exposure to things outside your comfort zone, things that are supposed to influence the rest of your life. Be it moving out of your small town to mingle with people outside of your circles to being skewered in a class by a professor that upends your beliefs or simply learning to balance work/life in a place surrounded by others in similar situations.

People who go full-time straight out of HS often have neither the time nor incentive to push themselves in such directions. Before you know it, you've got big responsibilities and little time to do much else.

To distill it all down to money is to miss the purpose of what college is supposed to be about, creating more well-rounded person. And I do agree that college isn't for everyone but really that's a decision that a person has to make similar to going the military route.

Oh, I agree. That's most of what I got out of college. I also was lucky enough to be in a position where I could take four years to do that, knowing I'd be able to pay back the loans after without much difficulty (I was mostly scholarship).

Not everyone has that option, and that's who this is targeting in the first place, people who need more education to advance but aren't able to do it the traditional way as it stands right now (due to money, family obligations, or whatever). These sorts of initiatives are about raising the floor, and trade schools do that better than typical four year programs.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-09-17 10:25:32  
Hey, it's the attack the arts argument. Never seen this one before, nope. Because music isn't a skill, valuable or in any way applicable to a career. *rolls eyes*

I was just going to let it go. You can't win this one on the internet. Or IRL.

Or while you're alive, really.

The only way to get appreciated as an artist is to be dead.

Fact.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-09-17 10:28:12  

I was just going to let it go. You can't win this one on the internet. Or IRL.

Or while you're alive, really.

The only way to get appreciated as an artist is to be dead.

Fact.

There are tons of well respected living artists...
 Leviathan.Chaosx
サーバ: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-09-17 10:28:36  
Jassik said: »
The key is finding the right balance as to not diminish the value of current degrees, or at least compensate them somehow.

The value of current degrees is already near zero for many. Sure, some fields require degrees and certification, like medical or law, but most only favor them. Even moreso in trades, where apprenticeships are viewed as superior because trades just aren't able to be taught well in a classroom setting. Of the jobs I've had experience with that required a degree, they rarely even required it be in the same field or related field, they just required mid-level managers to have a bachelor's in anything.
Yeah that's true in regards to many degrees losing most of their value quickly.

I see it as part of the problem, and less as how it works though.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-09-17 10:29:42  
Not for long... *All-seeing-eye on a pyramid flashes in the background*
Administrator
サーバ: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2015-09-17 10:32:13  
Why should taxpayers fund Johnny playing the tuba? If he wants to, awesome. But government spending is supposed to be about improving society, whether that's making higher-paying careers more available, taking care of the old/infirm/disabled, public health initiatives to reduce later medical costs/disease spread, road maintenance, rocket launchers for police, etc.

No one's saying Johnny can't play the tuba, or that he shouldn't. They're saying they don't want to foot the bill for that, because four year degree programs don't provide as much bang for the taxpayer buck as more concrete training.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-09-17 10:33:01  
Music is a lot different than other arts degrees in terms of usefulness. There is a lot of math involved, plus it provides you with a skill.

According to something I was reading the other day.

The 3 most useless degrees are:

3. Gender/Women Studies
2. Philosophy
1. Art History

Although I did get one of my minors in Philosophy, it was attached to Math and Computer Science.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-09-17 10:33:06  
What about rocket launchers for us, the people!
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2015-09-17 10:33:34  
Also tuba is a terrible choice and Johnny will be virgin forever.
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-09-17 10:34:01  

Yeah that's true in regards to many degrees losing most of their value quickly.

I see it as part of the problem, and less as how it works though.

Obviously there's some part of the higher education experience that companies feel is important. You can make a good living in trades, but the opportunity for advancement is limited. Moving up in big companies is near impossible beyond first level management for anyone without a 4-year degree. People basically have to put off having a family into their late 20s to early 30s in order to have a shot at decent career unless they start off with money or are exceptionally gifted.

Meanwhile, it's the people with trade-degrees that are paying the hardest price over time, as their wages don't go up at the same rate as inflation and cost of living. And, any advancement in unskilled jobs devalues their degrees even more.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-09-17 10:34:44  
Why should taxpayers fund Johnny playing the tuba? If he wants to, awesome. But government spending is supposed to be about improving society, whether that's making higher-paying careers more available, taking care of the old/infirm/disabled, public health initiatives to reduce later medical costs/disease spread, road maintenance, rocket launchers for police, etc.

No one's saying Johnny can't play the tuba, or that he shouldn't. They're saying they don't want to foot the bill for that, because four year degree programs don't provide as much bang for the taxpayer buck as more concrete training.

We're really beyond "funding" at this point. We're neck deep into "drowning in debt".
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-09-17 10:35:45  

In the context of having society foot the bill for 4 years, then there's a case for it not being a good investment.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-09-17 10:36:33  
Why should taxpayers fund Johnny playing the tuba?

Short answer is they shouldn't any more than they should fund Sally and her women's studies or Larry and his business degree. Public funding should be reserved for trades and general education. Even liberal arts degrees require Math, English, Social Sciences, etc.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-09-17 10:41:38  
Why should taxpayers fund Johnny playing the tuba?

Short answer is they shouldn't any more than they should fund Sally and her women's studies or Larry and his business degree. Public funding should be reserved for trades and general education. Even liberal arts degrees require Math, English, Social Sciences, etc.
While I believe we don't need to fund people's higher Ed bids, we can absolutely discriminate between studies deemed valuable and worthless. If we have to pay for something (and we don't) we can certainly tell the guy wanting to play the tuba to go pound sand in favor of he guy studying to be a doctor.
By Yatenkou 2015-09-17 10:42:24  
Phoenix.Sehachan said: »
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-09-17 10:42:31  

Four year degrees are step two. Community college is really step one if you're in our 'at risk' category and roughly equivalent to the trade school argument made by guys like Mike Rowe. Affordable options for those who might otherwise be thrust into the job market with a HS diploma and little hopes of moving up anything outside a family business.

And I ask again why learning the tuba is suddenly a bad thing. Community college moreso than anything is about instilling discipline and dedication to something. A seed you plant with the intention of an individual pursuing more as monetary options open up and a mindset to work hard within something you actually enjoy. Maybe Johnny's tuba skills pay the rent or allow him side gigs to make money to further himself. Or maybe Johnny uses the tuba to study music which could help him snag an internship at a company that picks him up post-grad.

Even with a music degree you still need to pass elective classes to round out your degree. The idea that some degrees are good and some are garbage is looking at it purely from a monetary perspective and look at all the good that does for the countless peeps out there with law, accounting, engineering and other 'instant jerbs!' degrees.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-09-17 10:45:42  
look at all the good that does for the countless peeps out there with law, accounting, engineering and other 'instant jerbs!' degrees.
Actually engineers here do indeed get an instant job(and arguably some of the best salaries).
Lawyers though..RIP.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-09-17 10:47:24  
Taxpayers are already funding endless welfare and more affordable housing schemes than you could shake a stick as corporate welfare and community college comes off as a 'bad investment'?

Further, pushing people into 'winning' degrees (you must do business!) does little more than create a bubble that will pop resulting in the degree / skills being worth ***. Spread people out, provide a baseline by which people can at least gain 2 years of college experience (the new HS diploma) and send them to the races.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-09-17 10:48:10  

Well, let me start by saying I was speaking hyperbolically.

That said, most current great artists are well respected by their own communities.

But the general public is pretty slow on the uptake and only the biggest names get recognized.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-09-17 10:49:41  
Get your degree in Parapsychology or David Beckham studies.

Found a YouTube video on some ridiculous degrees offered.

YouTube Video Placeholder
By Ramyrez 2015-09-17 10:51:20  

Amusing. But you have to remember that colleges have marching bands full of students as beered up and horned up (pun intended) as the rest of the college. More so in some cases.

And low brass is only one rung below the drummers in terms of raw sexual energy.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-09-17 10:51:35  
The degree in communication science in a town in Italy last year created a class that was called "The science of selfies". Now if I ever had to say while leaving my house "I have to go take an exam in science of selfies", I probably wouldn't even want to come back home ever.
By Ramyrez 2015-09-17 10:52:35  
Further, pushing people into 'winning' degrees (you must do business!) does little more than create a bubble that will pop resulting in the degree / skills being worth ***

Profiteering off of bubbles is all a lot of these people know, Sparth. Don't be so hard on them.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-09-17 10:53:00  

Amusing. But you have to remember that colleges have marching bands full of students as beered up and horned up (pun intended) as the rest of the college. More so in some cases.

And low brass is only one rung below the drummers in terms of raw sexual energy.
There are many beautiful instruments, be them winds, strings, percussions(no, I'm not singing the little mermaid song).
But tuba is just hideous looking and awful sounding.

Pls uninstall.
By Jetackuu 2015-09-17 10:53:01  
Taxpayers are already funding endless welfare and more affordable housing schemes than you could shake a stick as corporate welfare and community college comes off as a 'bad investment'?

Further, pushing people into 'winning' degrees (you must do business!) does little more than create a bubble that will pop resulting in the degree / skills being worth ***. Spread people out, provide a baseline by which people can at least gain 2 years of college experience (the new HS diploma) and send them to the races.

So basically the free CC plan that was laughed at? I concur.
By Ramyrez 2015-09-17 10:53:31  
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
The degree in communication science in a town in Italy last year created a class that was called "The science of selfies". Now if I ever had to say while leaving my house "I have to go take an exam in science of selfies", I probably wouldn't even want to come back home ever.

Sounds more like psychology or sociology than communications.

aka: Narcissism 101.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 936 937 938 ... 1375 1376 1377