Random Politics & Religion #00

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 932 933 934 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-09-16 10:24:41  
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Actually, being homeless is mostly by choice. Immediate destitution may not be a choice, but staying destitute for an extended period of time is.

There are so many ways to get out of homelessness, it's unreal. People just have to have the want to get away from all the free stuff they get for not working.....
Actually a large percentage of the homeless are mentally ill. Many are drug addicts.

And its rather hard to get welfare and food stamps without an address.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-09-16 10:25:13  
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Over here we only fraud healthcare. Fake handicapped people everywhere!
Must be nice.

But Italy has it's own set of problems. How's the Italian Mob doing over there? I know there is a lot of corruption politically there, makes the US corruption seem pale in comparison...well, it is actually....
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-09-16 10:27:06  
Garuda.Chanti said: »
Actually, being homeless is mostly by choice. Immediate destitution may not be a choice, but staying destitute for an extended period of time is.

There are so many ways to get out of homelessness, it's unreal. People just have to have the want to get away from all the free stuff they get for not working.....
Actually a large percentage of the homeless are mentally ill. Many are drug addicts.

Still not hurting my argument. And don't tell me that homeless people do not use the shelter they reside in as their permanent address. I have volunteered in enough shelters to know better....
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-09-16 10:29:45  
Must be nice.

But Italy has it's own set of problems. How's the Italian Mob doing over there? I know there is a lot of corruption politically there, makes the US corruption seem pale in comparison...well, it is actually....
Not different from what you hear about politicians of most other countries actually.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-09-16 10:33:04  
Must be nice.

Not different from what you hear about politicians of most other countries actually.
I don't know. I may not know the finite details of corruption in Italy, but I have read journals about governmental corruption around the world and almost all of them places Italy in the top 3 most corrupt countries governmental-wise.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-09-16 10:34:01  
Maybe 20 years ago with Andreotti who was a puppet of mafia.

Also top 3 really? With certain places of south America? Africa?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-09-16 10:39:20  
Maybe 20 years ago with Andreotti who was a puppet of mafia.

Also top 3 really? With certain places of south America? Africa?
Public perception hasn't changed much. But yeah, I looked over a couple of studies and they did reference corruption 20+ years ago.

Sorry about using outdated information.
By fonewear 2015-09-16 11:13:49  
Jimmy Carter will build you a home if you don't have one !

Lakshmi.Sparthosx
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-09-16 11:40:10  
Say what you want about Jimmy's politics, the guy is a class act as far as people go.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
サーバ: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-09-16 11:41:34  
fonewear said: »

he's way too slow! and h4h all sing songs about jesus the whole time they shoddily build your micro house....

plus you have to get off drugs, quit drinking and stop biting people in the legs when they pass you on the sidewalk.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-09-16 14:35:01  

Still not hurting my argument. And don't tell me that homeless people do not use the shelter they reside in as their permanent address. I have volunteered in enough shelters to know better....
IDK about Texas but none of the west coast cities have enough shelter beds for anywhere near half their homeless population.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-09-16 14:39:16  

IDK about Texas but none of the west coast cities have enough shelter beds for anywhere near half their homeless population.
I can only speak about San Antonio, since that's the only city I volunteer at. We can house about 85-90% of the current known homeless population in shelters. At least, that's what some of the directors I spoke with told me.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-09-16 14:48:41  
The top 4 things the GOP won’t tell you about Ronald Reagan
MSNBC

Quote:
Fifteen Republican candidates will soon head to The Ronald Reagan Presidential Library to stand in front of the former president’s Air Force One for Wednesday’s debate. As they fight to differentiate themselves from a field so crowded it requires two separate events, most will likely be tempted to invoke the legacy of the party’s beloved patriarch.

“Everyone wants to be Reagan’s successor because, through the veil of time, everyone remembers only good things of Reagan,” explained University of California Berkeley’s Alan Auerbach, an expert in Reagan’s impact on federal budgets and tax policies. But there’s a lot about the Republican president’s policies that the modern GOP doesn’t want to talk about — like tax hikes and expanding a woman’s right to choose — because much of his legacy would be downright blasphemous in today’s GOP.

“Every guy, these guys want to be my father,” the former president’s son, Ron Reagan, told MSNBC’s Chris Matthews on Tuesday. “It’s kind of ridiculous. He left office over a quarter of a century ago. We don’t even know what Ronald Reagan would be now as a politician 25 years later.”

Though we’ll never know whether Reagan could have won the 2016 presidential race, let’s take a look at the parts of Reagan’s legacy that you definitely won’t hear mentioned at the debate on Wednesday night.

He raised taxes — a lot.

Reagan is widely credited for dramatically slashing taxes, which he did: By the time he left office, the top marginal tax rate had dropped from 70% to 28%.

But a year after his biggest cut — his signature Economic Recovery Tax Act of 1981 — came the Tax Equity and Fiscal Responsibility Act of 1982, in which he hiked taxes to deal with the skyrocketing deficits, resulting in the largest tax hike in modern history, according to the Treasury Department’s 2006 assessment. He raised taxes again in 1983 and 1986.

“He had a more nuanced view on taxes. He was certainly in favor of tax cuts overall but the specifics things he was willing to do made his position somewhat more flexible,” Auerbach, a professor of economics and law, told MSNBC. That included raising taxes on capital gains and corporations — two actions the modern GOP regards as heretical.

“The tax reform act of 1986 was essentially accomplished by a coaltion of Reagan, the Republicans in the Senate and the Democrats in the House,” Auerbach continued. “It’s kind of hard to imagine that happening right now. President Obama and the Republicans in Congress? Or a future Republican president and the Democrats in Congress?”

He tripled the national debt — and grew government.

The national debt rose from $900 billion to $2.6 trillion while the father of the modern GOP was president.

“He changed the storyline for the Republican party,” Auerbach said. “The Republican party had been the party of sound money and balanced budget, and he made it into the party of tax cuts.”

Reagan also grew the federal workforce in a big way during his two terms in office: The number of federal employees shot up from 324,000 to 5.3 million. Mother Jones reports that in 2012, there were nearly a million fewer government employees than in the final year of Reagan’s presidency.

He made it easier for women to get an abortion in California.

While serving as governor of California in 1967, Reagan both hiked taxes and signed the state’s Therapeutic Abortion Act, effectively legalizing abortion in the state. Despite changes he added to soften the bill, legal abortions skyrocketed.

Reagan later campaigned on a constitutional amendment prohibiting abortions except when necessary to save the life of a mother, but it wasn’t one of his top legislative priorities during his two terms.

He gave undocumented immigrants citizenship.

In 1986, Reagan granted amnesty to 3 million undocumented immigrants, selling it as a crackdown that would increase border security in addition to bringing people out of the shadows. The bill’s enforcement mechanisms were largely stripped from it to ensure passage, and it was widely considered unsuccessful in reforming the immigration system.

“At the end of the day, Reagan had very strong views on issues like tax cuts and military build-up, but on the other hand he was willing to make deals,” Auerbach said. “As much as Reagan criticized the policies of his predecessor and criticized the policies of Democrats, he wasn’t going to shut the government down.”
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-09-16 15:01:27  
Why do you bother posting such biased articles Chanti?

But anyway:

A) How much did Reagan supposedly "raise taxes" by? The article said he "hiked taxes...resulting in the largest tax hike in modern history." I'm sure it doesn't include him decreasing the top tax rate by 60% though.

B) If going from $900 billion to $2.6 trillion is such a bad thing, what do you say about going from just under $10 trillion to a little over $18 trillion in just 6 and a half years, possibly going over $20 trillion? Should we vindicate Obama because he only doubled the national debt over his term and convict Reagan for tripling it, even though Reagan had a much smaller number and Obama outpaced Reagan by almost 6 times?

Abortion and immigration issues are not really that damaging of an argument, isn't it?
 Shiva.Viciousss
サーバ: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-09-16 15:15:31  
I don't even consider any of those 4 things to be bad, I guess the only thing to take from that article is how different the GOP is today, but we have known that for years.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-09-16 15:21:43  
Wait, raising taxes and increasing debt is not considered bad? What planet are you from again?
 Phoenix.Amandarius
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-09-16 16:04:53  

It's looking like that must have been asbestos siding?

Too soon?

Undelete | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-09-16 16:33:43  
Phoenix.Amandarius said: »

It's looking like that must have been asbestos siding?

Too soon?
who's the guy seemingly in charge of smelling jimmy's farts?
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-09-16 17:04:15  
I can only speak about San Antonio, since that's the only city I volunteer at. We can house about 85-90% of the current known homeless population in shelters. At least, that's what some of the directors I spoke with told me.
That would be totally unachievable on the coast and a wonderful thing for San Antonio. They are to be congratulated.

But anyway:

A) How much did Reagan supposedly "raise taxes" by? The article said he "hiked taxes...resulting in the largest tax hike in modern history." I'm sure it doesn't include him decreasing the top tax rate by 60% though.

B) If going from $900 billion to $2.6 trillion is such a bad thing, what do you say about going from just under $10 trillion to a little over $18 trillion in just 6 and a half years, possibly going over $20 trillion? Should we vindicate Obama because he only doubled the national debt over his term and convict Reagan for tripling it, even though Reagan had a much smaller number and Obama outpaced Reagan by almost 6 times?

Abortion and immigration issues are not really that damaging of an argument, isn't it?
It may be biased but it is fact based.

A) I honestly don't know. He raised and lowered taxes several times. Overall there was a cut.

B) 2.6t is almost 300% of 900b. 18t is 180% of 10t. He's going to have to work hard to catch up to Ronnie.

But let's face it. St Ronald the President was the original big government Republican, sent the national debt screaming toward the rooftops, and gave amnesty to 3m illegals. Think anyone in the GOP is going to promise to follow in those footsteps?

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-09-16 17:25:33  
So in your eyes President Obama would have to increase the debt by 20 Trillion dollars in order to equal Reagan. And then the next President that inherits our 20 Trillion in debt by then is go to go as long as the debt is less than 60 Trillion when they leave office.

Yes you do not make any sense. Going by percentage for the comparison is moronic.

Raising taxes before the Democrats made the agreed upon cuts was one of Reagan's biggest regrets. Democrats have no honor and their word is garbage.

Amnesty sure fixed our illegal immigration problem.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
サーバ: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-09-16 17:53:07  
Place your bets now. Will the Fed raise interest rates (from near 0) for the first time since 2006?

Post deleted by User.
By charlo999 2015-09-16 18:04:07  
Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Place your bets now. Will the Fed raise interest rates (from near 0) for the first time since 2006?

Lol. Rhetorical question.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
サーバ: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-09-16 18:08:14  
I'll bet ¥50,000 that they won't.
 Bahamut.Ravael
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-09-16 18:27:26  
B) 2.6t is almost 300% of 900b. 18t is 180% of 10t. He's going to have to work hard to catch up to Ronnie.

Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
Yes you do not make any sense. Going by percentage for the comparison is moronic.

No way. Going from $5 in debt to $25 in debt would make you the worst president evar! Because percentages!
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-09-16 19:05:19  

But anyway:

It may be biased but it is fact based.

A) I honestly don't know. He raised and lowered taxes several times. Overall there was a cut.

But let's face it. St Ronald the President was the original big government Republican, sent the national debt screaming toward the rooftops, and gave amnesty to 3m illegals. Think anyone in the GOP is going to promise to follow in those footsteps?
Selective facts you mean, but let's go the answers:

A) If you go based by the total change in taxes, his administration and Congress reduced taxes during his tenure. Saying that he had the largest tax increase of the time is paramount in saying that Bush left the US economy in a worse shape than what he came to office with....which is basically the entire liberal argument presented against Bush.

B) Obama isn't done yet, he is on pace to get to that 20 trillion debt deficit before he left. So don't kid yourself into thinking that he won't double it. Either way...

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
No way. Going from $5 in debt to $25 in debt would make you the worst president evar! Because percentages!
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-09-16 19:06:46  
Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
I say no, not until November.

Because weak jobs report (again) and China's most recent economic failure last week.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-09-16 19:10:00  
B) Obama isn't done yet, he is on pace to get to that 20 trillion debt deficit before he left. So don't kid yourself into thinking that he won't double it. Either way...

Let's just forget the fact that budgets are made by Congress, not the President. If Congress had a 6 year history of doing whatever the president wanted, you'd have an argument.
First Page 2 3 ... 932 933 934 ... 1375 1376 1377