Random Politics & Religion #00

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 928 929 930 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Bahamut.Ravael
サーバ: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-09-14 22:20:26  
Jassik said: »
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
None of the gospels were written by the people they claimed to be. Most were written at least a hundred years after Jesus died.

An awfully bold claim from someone who has no proof. Look, I don't doubt that the New Testament documents had been screwed with, but you're talking from a stance of irrefutable fact based on your bias as opposed to an objective observer.

I'm most definitely not a biblical historian, but the fact that the earliest versions of the gospels have been dated through multiple methods as being written between 150 and 300 ce is not a recent revelation. While older versions may have existed at some point, there is no evidence that they did or that they were even second hand accounts. And, as you've said several times, they were interpreted/translated multiple times throughout history. On top of that, much of church doctrine revolves around things that absolutely do not appear in any of the published gospels and were never things Jesus talked about in any of the accounts.

I'm not expressing a bias, 2000 years is a long time in the minds of men, but the inaccuracies in biblical history to almost every other historical record is pretty common knowledge at this point. Just the inconsistencies in the accounts of the crucifixion are pretty stark, and the Romans kept VERY good records.

Not entirely accurate. You're making a lot of arguments out of sweeping generalizations.

sweeping generalizations? I spoke about a couple specific things that don't line up. Do you just pull a random dismissal card out of a hat every time you disagree with someone?

First of all, it would be really hard to find an account of the crucifixion of Jesus from such meticulous record keepers when the only physical, archaeological evidence of even Pontius Pilate is some random stone they found in 1961. I'm sure it was more important for them to preserve a record of the death of some meddling Jew that Pilate supposedly didn't even want to kill in the first place.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2015-09-14 22:34:56  
Garuda.Chanti said: »
.... So unless you're an unbiased religious scholar making a determination based on historical knowledge, you're just picking the Bible used by the team you root for and calling it the best.
I won't say mine is the best, too violent by far.

It is, however, the orignal.

Paged!

The torah is also a borrowing and retelling from preceding cultures and their religions. Which really only validates the point you made that we have plenty of documentation. Zoroastrian, Akkadian, Babylonian mythologies/religion are present and retold in the Torah...and that's just the fertile crescent region.

But it's rather futile when dealing with modern day monotheistic influences and people primarily influenced by them on the internet.

I mean you tell a person about the Torah, Tanakh, Mishnah, Talmud, Targums, Zohar, Shulhan Arukh, Midrash and how it predates things and they look at you like its blasphemy. Yet a Japanese video game company can introduce the concepts and characters to them via *cough*final fantasy*cough* and it's totally cool beans.
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-09-14 22:39:08  
First of all, it would be really hard to find an account of the crucifixion of Jesus from such meticulous record keepers when the only physical, archaeological evidence of even Pontius Pilate is some random stone they found in 1961. I'm sure it was more important for them to preserve a record of the death of some meddling Jew that Pilate supposedly didn't even want to kill in the first place.

The biblical account does not line up with the Roman's records of how crucifixion was done. Archaeological evidence is basically non sequitur, there wouldn't be relics in the earth that could be attributed to any singular crucifixion. There are other pretty silly inconsistencies like the shroud of turin being from the 13th century.

Even things like being nailed through his hands and feet when the Romans used rope (very rarely nails and only through the heels) because nails through the hands wouldn't support a body and nails through the wrist would kill too quickly, crucified people died of asphyxiation, the cross depicted being of a later era than when Jesus was crucified and too large for the native wood and wouldn't have been carried by Jesus, being stabbed by a spear would not have happened and most likely was made up to address people saying Jesus probably was just in a coma or shock and didn't really die, etc.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2015-09-14 23:17:52  
The biblical account does not line up with the Roman's records of how crucifixion was done
Translation and historical data discrepancies. The biblical account matches other historians who documented the event.

Just because Romans traditionally used rope doesn't mean that's how it happened at the time. Josephus, a Judean Historian, said:

Quote:
the soldiers out of rage and hatred, nailed those they caught, one after one way, and another after another, to the crosses, by way of jest."[15] Objects used in the crucifixion of criminals, such as nails, were sought as amulets with perceived medicinal qualities

Present day historians hypothesize that both rope and nails were used.

Quote:
The victim was first affixed to the crossbeam (patibulum) with ropes and/or nails through the wrists or forearms. Then the crossbeam was fitted on the vertical beam and the victim was lifted up and set on a peg or "seat" on the vertical beam and perhaps also on a footrest. The idea was to prolong the agony, not to make the victim more comfortable. -John R. Donahue, Daniel J. Harrington
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-09-14 23:18:27  

The biblical account does not line up with the Roman's records of how crucifixion was done. Archaeological evidence is basically non sequitur, there wouldn't be relics in the earth that could be attributed to any singular crucifixion. There are other pretty silly inconsistencies like the shroud of turin being from the 13th century.

Even things like being nailed through his hands and feet when the Romans used rope (very rarely nails and only through the heels) because nails through the hands wouldn't support a body and nails through the wrist would kill too quickly, crucified people died of asphyxiation, the cross depicted being of a later era than when Jesus was crucified and too large for the native wood and wouldn't have been carried by Jesus, being stabbed by a spear would not have happened and most likely was made up to address people saying Jesus probably was just in a coma or shock and didn't really die, etc.

The Shroud of Turin... yeah, I wouldn't even go there. I don't put any trust in the authenticity of most "Sacred Relics".

As far as the crucifixion stuff is concerned, the method can be rightfully put into question. If you want to go with the Biblical narrative, you would have to assume that Jesus was a special case. It draws doubt, but it's not crazy to assume that not every person was killed in the exact same way every time, and if that's the way that God wanted it to go, then that's the way it was going to happen. Nails through the hands would probably not work as you said, but having them in the wrists or both the hands and wrists may or may not kill you first, depending on which physician you talk to. Regardless, the point is moot as it was implied that the whole thing was symbolic anyway and if Jesus was true divinity then he basically decided when it was his time to die.

Saying that the spear thing wouldn't have happened is stupid, because even if an employee is trained to not do a thing, it doesn't mean that they won't do a thing. Anyone in management knows that. There also is actually a medical precedence for "water" coming out of the spear wound as recorded in the Bible, as some types of heart failure coincide with an increase in pericardial efflusion.

Again, this proves or disproves nothing, but it's all brain food.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-09-14 23:23:57  
I'm not saying the inconsistencies prove or disprove anything in particular, I'm saying that there are pretty clear inconsistencies in the biblical accounts of many historic events yet it's constantly regarded by Christians as a historically accurate account of the time. Most of the gospels were almost certainly not written by people who knew Jesus or witnessed any of the events they claim to chronicle. Just because the more rational members of the faith concede those things doesn't mean the vast majority don't wax on poetic about Jesus this and Bible that without really knowing a thing about it.

And, according to the records analyses I've seen and read about, the Romans didn't regard Jesus as anyone special. He was just one of dozens of people executed for blasphemy and sedition in that region in that time frame.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-09-14 23:44:27  
I'm not saying the inconsistencies prove or disprove anything in particular, I'm saying that there are pretty clear inconsistencies in the biblical accounts of many historic events yet it's constantly regarded by Christians as a historically accurate account of the time. Most of the gospels were almost certainly not written by people who knew Jesus or witnessed any of the events they claim to chronicle. Just because the more rational members of the faith concede those things doesn't mean the vast majority don't wax on poetic about Jesus this and Bible that without really knowing a thing about it.

And, according to the records analyses I've seen and read about, the Romans didn't regard Jesus as anyone special. He was just one of dozens of people executed for blasphemy and sedition in that region in that time frame.

Eh, even if the gospels have questionable origin, most of the Pauline Epistles are seen as authentic to the author. And while I agree that a lot of people have no clue what they're talking about when it comes to the crossroads between the Bible and history, there have been a number of archaeological finds that both corroborate and dispute Biblical narratives. Most of the problems therein lie in the fact that there is simply a dearth of evidence in places where grand things were supposed to have happened, so it's less of a "this proves it wrong" and more of a "we have absolutely nothing to show for it".
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-09-14 23:59:57  
Eh, even if the gospels have questionable origin, most of the Pauline Epistles are seen as authentic to the author.

"Claimed author"
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-09-15 00:14:10  
Eh, even if the gospels have questionable origin, most of the Pauline Epistles are seen as authentic to the author.

"Claimed author"

Fair enough, but I'm having an easier time finding people who dispute his authorship of a few particular books/letters, and having a really hard time finding anyone who doubts his very existence. It seems like most scholars agree that he was a real person, and if so there are some letters that almost find unanimity in the question of who penned them. Doubting his views on the divinity of Jesus is fine, but you'll find a lot of archaeological precedence for events in Paul's attributed books.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-09-15 00:27:58  
I don't doubt that most if not all of the people depicted surrounding Jesus were real people, more than likely with a little artistic license.

Undelete | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-09-15 00:35:52  
Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »
negative; They saved crucifixion usually for treason and high treason.

It's a common misconception, but the Romans didn't separate religious and political criminals. Jesus was tried for blasphemy and sedition, which both were commonly punished by crucifixion.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-09-15 00:38:32  
I don't doubt that most if not all of the people depicted surrounding Jesus were real people, more than likely with a little artistic license.

Well, given the bible's history, I wouldn't doubt it. Even though we're approaching the same thing from different angles, it would be crazy of me to assume that it was a 100% authentic text. That also leads into why I don't highly regard a vast majority of Christian churches. Most of them hold the Bible as the ultimate authority, but if it's been broken from the get go, what does that say about your church? Only a view have doctrines that supersede Biblical authority.

Post deleted by User.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-09-15 00:48:04  

Well, given the bible's history, I wouldn't doubt it. Even though we're approaching the same thing from different angles, it would be crazy of me to assume that it was a 100% authentic text. That also leads into why I don't highly regard a vast majority of Christian churches. Most of them hold the Bible as the ultimate authority, but if it's been broken from the get go, what does that say about your church? Only a view have doctrines that supersede Biblical authority.

I despise organized religion for the reasons I've said many times, but I don't have a need for faith in my life, anyway. None of the creation stories are as compelling as the scientific theories to me, and I just don't have a need for there to be a reason or meaning to existence.

Either way, I generally don't have a problem with religion, I just can't believe so many people overlook the inconsistencies and hold the book as justification for all manner of terrible things. They base their life on it without bothering to even understand it's origins or meanings.
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-09-15 00:51:25  
negative; They saved crucifixion usually for treason and high treason.
It's a common misconception, but the Romans didn't separate religious and political criminals. Jesus was tried for blasphemy and sedition, which both were commonly punished by crucifixion.
blasphemy was not a heinous enough crime to ever warrant something this extreme though, it was reserved for only the most troublesome, i.e. thousands of their followers turning against the government, treasonous

He was crucified for sedition, bud. Treason is betraying your country to an enemy of the state, sedition is inciting people to rebel against their government. Crucifixion was indeed used as a punishment for sedition and wasn't particularly uncommon.

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-09-15 01:17:15  
Either way, I generally don't have a problem with religion, I just can't believe so many people overlook the inconsistencies and hold the book as justification for all manner of terrible things. They base their life on it without bothering to even understand it's origins or meanings.
Well said. I don't claim to be a religious scholar and I'm sure I've hardly scratched the surface of what all is out there, but I've spent a lot of time studying the many facets of it. I don't fault people for coming to different conclusions than me, but the sheer amount of confirmation bias, willful ignorance, blind obedience, and "answer finding" with predetermined conclusions is abhorrent at best. You'll find it across the spectrum from atheists to the devout. If you're going to be gnostic, study the crap out of what you believe in instead of making everyone on your side look like idiots.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2015-09-15 03:11:16  
The inconsistencies aren't overlooked. The RCC(Roman Catholic Church) is very well aware of all discrepancies, afterall they've been doing the bulk of interpretation. Additionally, they do print Bibles that inform the readers of the discrepancies. Many companies have footnotes listing all the alternate translations/interpretations.

The problem lies with that particular Christian(yes Catholics are included in this term). Just like you have math books for kindergarten students and then you have math books for college students, the Bible has the same tiers. Most individuals aren't capable of the college level Bible so they settle for a dumbed-down version which uses very simple English so the reader can understand the passage. The problem is that when you start adjusting the whole bible to fit the reading level of idiots, much of the original context is lost.
[+]
By charlo999 2015-09-15 04:28:50  
Inconsistencies with the details or mistranslation errors?
There are many bibles that can be cross referenced and checked to make sense of any mistranslations.
Other from that though there are no inconsistencies with the actual information at core.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-09-15 04:56:11  
North Korea says its main nuclear facility, the Yongbyon complex, has resumed normal operations.

Quote:
The country was improving its nuclear weapons "in quality and quantity", state-run news agency KCNA reported.

Yongbyon's reactor was shut down in 2007 but Pyongyang vowed to restart it in 2013, following its third nuclear test and amid high regional tensions.

The reactor has been the source of plutonium for North Korea's nuclear weapons programme.

Experts believe that if re-started, the reactor could potentially make one bomb's worth of plutonium per year.

The announcement about Yongbyon is the first official confirmation from North Korea that it has restarted operations there.

A US think-tank said earlier this year that satellite images suggested that work had commenced at the plant.

Analysis: Stephen Evans, BBC News, Seoul

North Korea holds a big celebration in just under a month - the 70th anniversary of the foundation of its Workers Party. It is building up to that with two significant announcements.

There is the revelation that the country's main nuclear reactor, which could be used for producing material for atomic weapons, is operating again. But North Korea also says it is ready to launch a rocket with a satellite. Other countries fear this is code for testing the kind of long-range missile that could potentially reach the United States with a nuclear warhead.

This does not mean that North Korea has the ability to do that but it does indicate that there is no let-up in its nuclear ambitions, and that it is intent on making progress towards a viable long-range nuclear missile.
Rocket launch plans

KCNA also said on Tuesday that the North was ready to face US hostility with "nuclear weapons any time".

However, the full scope of North Korea's nuclear capabilities is unclear.

Pyongyang claims it has made a device small enough to fit a nuclear warhead on to a missile, which it could launch at its enemies.

However, US officials have cast doubt on this claim and experts say it is difficult to *** the progress North Korea has made on miniaturisation.

North Korea has made threats against its neighbours and the US before, often to coincide with annual joint military exercises held by South Korea and US forces.

The two Koreas remain technically at war, because the 1950-1953 war ended in an armistice, not a peace treaty.

China, which is North Korea's main ally and trading partner, said on Tuesday that it hoped "relevant parties" would respond with "caution and refrain from taking actions that may elevate tension".
 Bismarck.Dracondria
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-09-15 07:57:29  
This feels relevant to the discussion

YouTube Video Placeholder

Quote:
Heyns Lecture Series at Cubberley Auditorium, Stanford University Campus, Wednesday, April 25, 2007. Lecture on "Misquoting Jesus" a textual criticism of Biblical manuscript tampering. From the book "Misquoting Jesus: Scribes Who Altered Scripture and Readers Who May Never Know."

Bart D. Ehrman is the James A. Gray Distinguished Professor at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. He came to UNC in 1988, after four years of teaching at Rutgers University. At UNC he has served as both the Director of Graduate Studies and the Chair of the Department of Religious Studies. A graduate of Wheaton College (Illinois), Professor Ehrman received both his Masters of Divinity and Ph.D. from Princeton Theological Seminary, where his 1985 doctoral dissertation was awarded magna *** laude.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-09-15 08:09:49  
charlo999 said: »
Inconsistencies with the details or mistranslation errors?
There are many bibles that can be cross referenced and checked to make sense of any mistranslations.
Other from that though there are no inconsistencies with the actual information at core.

Uh, no. There are more errors than just translation ones. I guess you won't see that acceptance come out of the "The Bible Is Perfect" camp, but there are irreparable issues that will never be fixed because we don't have the original manuscripts.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-09-15 08:16:34  

The cynical side of me hopes they try to nuke someone with a long-range missile (except maybe South Korea, because they might actually hit them). Given their track record (and maybe our technology) it would likely fail, and any excuse to obliterate their leadership and get help for their starving citizens is good in my book.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-09-15 08:17:39  
I'm saying that there are pretty clear inconsistencies in the biblical accounts of many historic events yet it's constantly regarded by Christians as a historically accurate account of the time

Even I am going to stop you there. With the exception of a few of the old school priests I knew in my youth (and yes, one of them was, in fact, rumored to be one of 'those' priests), of the frocked and otherwise ordained friends I have, not one of them thinks the Bible, either book, is to be taken 100% literally.

It is simply not the position any reasonable, thinking human being in the 21st century can take, even if you largely believe in the divinity of Christ and the like.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-09-15 08:22:47  

The cynical side of me hopes they try to nuke someone with a long-range missile (except maybe South Korea, because they might actually hit them). Given their track record (and maybe our technology) it would likely fail, and any excuse to obliterate their leadership and get help for their starving citizens is good in my book.

Yeah. I had something similar typed then closed the browser window by accident.

We are long overdue for ousting those batshit crazy tinpots. Even their "allies" in China always seem to be like, "aww man, do you have to do that? Really? We've got your back, but please stop doing this ***already..."
[+]
 Fenrir.Atheryn
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2015-09-15 08:51:57  
Ramyrez said: »
I'm saying that there are pretty clear inconsistencies in the biblical accounts of many historic events yet it's constantly regarded by Christians as a historically accurate account of the time

Even I am going to stop you there. With the exception of a few of the old school priests I knew in my youth (and yes, one of them was, in fact, rumored to be one of 'those' priests), of the frocked and otherwise ordained friends I have, not one of them thinks the Bible, either book, is to be taken 100% literally.

It is simply not the position any reasonable, thinking human being in the 21st century can take, even if you largely believe in the divinity of Christ and the like.

You should meet some of the people I work with here in SC. I've seen arguments erupt over the specific meaning of bible passages.
By Ramyrez 2015-09-15 09:03:33  
Fenrir.Atheryn said: »
You should meet some of the people I work with here in SC. I've seen arguments erupt over the specific meaning of bible passages.

Well...yeah...I believe it...

Ramyrez said: »
It is simply not the position any reasonable, thinking human being in the 21st century can take

Please note, I didn't say it was a position nobody could take...
First Page 2 3 ... 928 929 930 ... 1375 1376 1377