Random Politics & Religion #00

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 800 801 802 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Lakshmi.Flavin
サーバ: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-07-23 10:47:19  
Gun Shop Owner Declares his Shop a Muslim Free Zone

Basically in a response to the recent shooting this business owner is now refusing to sell to muslims. I wonder how he'd be able to tell who is and who isn't a muslim or does he just mean those brown looking people from over there?

Will the libs show their outrage at the descrimination or stay quiet because less gun will be on the street?

Will the conservatives Show their outrage over this outrageous violation of the second ammendment and the right as an american to own a gun or the blatant disrepect for the freedom of religion or will they stay quiet because only christianity really matters in the US and muslims shouldn't have guns cuz they're all terrorists.

Who's hypocritical nature will shine the brightest!?
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-07-23 10:48:57  
Saw that yesterday, didn't feel like giving him the time of day here.
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-07-23 10:48:58  
Shiva.Nikolce said: »
Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
Tell that to the people that believe in creationism...
the 5,000 year old earth guys that think dinosaurs and carbon dating are an elaborate hoax?
No, they think carbon dating and dinosaur fossils are Satan's deceptions.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-07-23 10:49:20  
Why do you associate that with being far right? I'm pretty far into the right and I love pleasurable sex as much as any other guy.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-07-23 10:51:07  

Basically in a response to the recent shooting this business owner is now refusing to sell to muslims. I wonder how he'd be able to tell who is and who isn't a muslim or does he just mean those brown looking people for over there?

Will the libs show their outrage at the descrimination or stay quiet because less gun will be on the street?

Will the conservatives Show their outrage over this outrageous violation of the second ammendment and the right as an american to own a gun or the blatant disrepect for the freedom of religion or will they stay quiet because only christianity really matters in the US and muslims shouldn't have guns cuz they're all terrorists.

People have the right to serve whomever they want to. The second amendment do not guarantee your right to have me sell you a gun, just to have one in and of itself.
By Ramyrez 2015-07-23 10:51:10  
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Why do you associate that with being far right? I'm pretty far into the right and I love pleasurable sex as much as any other guy.

Deep belief in religious doctrine is pretty thoroughly associated with the conservative right.

Most people do enjoy sex.

Religious conservatives just like to pretend they don't at times.

*shrug*

I was just making the point that they're both full of ***crazy.
 Shiva.Nikolce
サーバ: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-07-23 10:51:56  
Garuda.Chanti said: »
Shiva.Nikolce said: »
Tell that to the people that believe in creationism...
the 5,000 year old earth guys that think dinosaurs and carbon dating are an elaborate hoax?
No, they think carbon dating and dinosaur fossils are Satan's deceptions.

Now I have to go find the show I watched...

I remember watching it and saying out loud to the television... dude... your brain is broken...

like when I read some of lolgrim's posts
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-07-23 10:52:03  
According to much of the right you are doing it wrong.

Sex is supposed to be for procreation, not fun.

Personally I think they are wrong and you are right.
Administrator
サーバ: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2015-07-23 10:52:06  

Left and right are big groups. Surely you can concede that the "sex is for procreation only" crowd probably lives somewhere in the ultra-orthodox religious sects on the right.

I mean, it's not the hedonists on the left saying that.
By Ramyrez 2015-07-23 10:53:33  
Drama Torama said: »
I mean, it's not the hedonists on the left saying that.

Sex for pleasure is wrong.

Lots of sex for pleasure is right.
 Siren.Mosin
サーバ: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2015-07-23 10:53:57  
Alcohol & sex, something we can all agree on. quick change the name of the topic & see if everyone gets along.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-07-23 10:54:01  
Ramyrez said: »
Saw that yesterday, didn't feel like giving him the time of day here.
There's a guy in TX too I think.
By Ramyrez 2015-07-23 10:55:22  
Siren.Mosin said: »
Alcohol & sex, something we can all agree on. quick change the name of the topic & see if everyone gets along.

To be fair, at least when alcohol comes up as a discussion, we do all get along and just discuss booze.

There are entire pages of proof.
[+]
Administrator
By Drama Torama 2015-07-23 10:59:41  

To be fair, at least when alcohol comes up as a discussion, we do all get along and just discuss booze.

Here, peace in our time.
 Bahamut.Ravael
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-07-23 11:00:41  
I don't hold science as absolute truth. It's a tool. An imperfect tool at that but the best we have to use to attempt to understand the world around us. There's still many things we don't understand, many things we can't test for and imperfect ways of coming to the conclusions we do. Hell it's pretty obvious seeing that people in the same field come to different conclusions on the same data...

I don't really argue that we should make fun of religious people as much as keep things like people advocating creationism be taught to children in schools and legislating "because god said so".

You put some degree of faith in pretty much everything you do, almost every decision you make... As a collective humanity's understanding of how things work is still expanding as we learn more about it and the way the world works. The knowledge we had yesterday could be invalidated tomorrow.

In the end though I would always believe someone with some expertise in a specific field... say a doctor over someone telling me that god says this.

None of that is unreasonable. I try to make sure that any time there's information that I can't independently verify, it gets put into my head as a reasonable possibility and never as an absolute. It tends to be safer to trust the word of an expert as you say, but there are experts who know that many people will simply believe anything they tell them and take full advantage of it. I saw an article recently about a doctor that falsely diagnosed cancer in a large number of patients for his own financial gain. Does that mean to never trust doctors? No, it just means that you have to be careful and remember that even the "geniuses" of our society are humans, and thus are susceptible to human folly.

Also, I didn't know that you and I were capable of sharing civil discourse. It's weird, but a good weird.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-07-23 11:02:45  
Drama Torama said: »

Here, peace in our time.

Now if we can get a piece in our time we'll have the boots knockin' covered too.
By Ramyrez 2015-07-23 11:14:13  
Fast Food Workers Win A Historic Raise

Quote:
New York made shockwaves on Wednesday when a specially-convened state wage board called for a hike in the minimum pay for fast food workers to $15 an hour. Assuming it’s approved by Gov. Andrew Cuomo --and no signs suggest otherwise-- the new rate will be, at once, a jaw-dropping victory for labor activists, a rare political setback for name-brand restaurant chains, and the latest piece of fodder for a national debate about the value of fair pay.

Ugh.

I hate to sound like a selfish *** (or a broken record), but I really don't like where this is going. I just don't see a valid model on how devalueing higher-skill work is the way to fix income inequality.

I fail to see how it's going to do anything but further destroy the middle class and ultimately lead to more income inequality.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-07-23 11:20:39  
15/hr in NYC is nothing. You're still unable to pay rent / pay bills off that even on a 40 hour week so....

15*40 = 600 * 2 = $1200 - taxes, SSI, disability etc etc = ??????
Average 1bed unsubsidized NYC rent = ~3k.

The argument that fast food workers are all teens making summer scratch is also bunk when the average worker is in their mid-late twenties.

Even if you want to improve, GL when you can't even make enough to have discretionary income for things like college or spending money in the economy. Welfare here you come!
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-07-23 11:21:57  
Well, at least they're giving it 4-6 years to become mandatory depending on where you live in the state. I still don't think it's a good idea, but as an advocate for state rights I say let them be the guinea pigs and see if it works out.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-07-23 11:26:04  
Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
15/hr in NYC is nothing. You're still unable to pay rent / pay bills off that even on a 40 hour week so....

15*40 = 600 * 2 = $1200.

Uh, unless you're going for something that I don't understand, your math is off.

15*40 = 600 * 4 = $2400

Now, as far as the "average" 1 bedroom unsubsidized rent goes, that really isn't a good metric. There are some expensive and swanky 1 bedroom apartments in NYC that can throw off an average. If you're looking at whether or not $15 an hour is liveable, look at the average price for an apartment that a minimum wage worker would actually live in.
 Shiva.Viciousss
サーバ: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-07-23 11:27:31  

Another shop owner that isn't familiar with anti-discrimination laws.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-07-23 11:28:47  
Fast Food Workers Win A Historic Raise

Quote:
New York made shockwaves on Wednesday when a specially-convened state wage board called for a hike in the minimum pay for fast food workers to $15 an hour. Assuming it’s approved by Gov. Andrew Cuomo --and no signs suggest otherwise-- the new rate will be, at once, a jaw-dropping victory for labor activists, a rare political setback for name-brand restaurant chains, and the latest piece of fodder for a national debate about the value of fair pay.

Ugh.

I hate to sound like a selfish *** (or a broken record), but I really don't like where this is going. I just don't see a valid model on how devalueing higher-skill work is the way to fix income inequality.

I fail to see how it's going to do anything but further destroy the middle class and ultimately lead to more income inequality.

Not seeing how high skill jobs are being devalued other than wages not rising thus min wage coming more into line with what it should be to keep up with inflation. Which it isn't. Which most jobs aren't.

The real good high paying jobs that require skill sit idle because people lack the qualifications for them. Or they get lapped up by qualified international workers.

Many a story of hiring managers pulling their hair out looking for 5-10 years of experience in some field that requires a very specific skillset. Something a fresh college grad couldn't handle.
By Jetackuu 2015-07-23 11:32:38  
Bahamut.Ravael said: »

15*40 = 600 * 2 = $1200.

Uh, unless you're going for something that I don't understand, your math is off.

15*40 = 600 * 4 = $2400

Now, as far as the "average" 1 bedroom unsubsidized rent goes, that really isn't a good metric. There are some expensive and swanky 1 bedroom apartments in NYC that can throw off an average. If you're looking at whether or not $15 an hour is liveable, look at the average price for an apartment that a minimum wage worker would actually live in.
Even if it were half that it's basically unaffordable when you factor in other necessities.

Health insurance
phone
electric
water
food
transportation (at least they don't have to have a car).

$15/hour isn't much $ anymore, this isn't 1992.
By Jetackuu 2015-07-23 11:36:50  
This won't, giving the minimum wage increases proportional to inflation won't do that.

There's a lot of things that will do that though, but since they're legal, well.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-07-23 11:39:02  
Jetackuu said: »

15*40 = 600 * 2 = $1200.

15*40 = 600 * 4 = $2400

Even if it were half that it's basically unaffordable when you factor in other necessities.

Health insurance
phone
electric
water
food
transportation (at least they don't have to have a car).

$15/hour isn't much $ anymore, this isn't 1992.

Perhaps. I make more than that, but I live off of less than that and I have a wife and two kids. Sure I don't live in NYC, but I don't live in a super cheap area either. You can't expect everyone to be smart with money though, unfortunately.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-07-23 11:39:37  

forgot Bacon.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-07-23 11:39:39  
I don't hold science as absolute truth. It's a tool. An imperfect tool at that but the best we have to use to attempt to understand the world around us. There's still many things we don't understand, many things we can't test for and imperfect ways of coming to the conclusions we do. Hell it's pretty obvious seeing that people in the same field come to different conclusions on the same data...

I don't really argue that we should make fun of religious people as much as keep things like people advocating creationism be taught to children in schools and legislating "because god said so".

You put some degree of faith in pretty much everything you do, almost every decision you make... As a collective humanity's understanding of how things work is still expanding as we learn more about it and the way the world works. The knowledge we had yesterday could be invalidated tomorrow.

In the end though I would always believe someone with some expertise in a specific field... say a doctor over someone telling me that god says this.

None of that is unreasonable. I try to make sure that any time there's information that I can't independently verify, it gets put into my head as a reasonable possibility and never as an absolute. It tends to be safer to trust the word of an expert as you say, but there are experts who know that many people will simply believe anything they tell them and take full advantage of it. I saw an article recently about a doctor that falsely diagnosed cancer in a large number of patients for his own financial gain. Does that mean to never trust doctors? No, it just means that you have to be careful and remember that even the "geniuses" of our society are humans, and thus are susceptible to human folly.

Also, I didn't know that you and I were capable of sharing civil discourse. It's weird, but a good weird.
Some people are just awful... Self-gain trumps all. Something like that it'd be good to get a second opinion at times if possible. There are also issues with the human fallibility as you touched on all people are susceptible to human folly. Maybe they missed something or misinterpreted the test or the image was bad or whatever... when it comes to something you can't afford to lose, like your health, it's always best to protect yourself as much as possible.

I've always been told anything is possible.
[+]
Administrator
By Drama Torama 2015-07-23 11:41:53  
The only concern I have with the raise is that it's state-wide, not just NYC (it's delayed elsewhere, but still happens). Stop using NYC as the basis for state-wide laws.

Even if you want to make the argument that this in and of itself is a good thing, the trend of using one of the most expensive places on earth as a basis for wage changes seems, uh, ill-advised.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-07-23 11:42:16  

Basically in a response to the recent shooting this business owner is now refusing to sell to muslims. I wonder how he'd be able to tell who is and who isn't a muslim or does he just mean those brown looking people from over there?

I'm outraged that I don't care !
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-07-23 11:44:29  
You can't expect everyone to be smart with money though, unfortunately.
Our education system doesn't really set them on the right path for this either though. I've always been an advocate of introducing classes that prepare kids for actual life in the world. Mos twalk out there and have no idea whats going on and are just expected to learn on the go. Is it possible? Yes. Would we all be better off if we gave them all a head start? We all would be.

It's all well and good that they want kids to be well rounded enough to have basic knowledge but they also need to be taught how to properly function in society and the consequences that come with some things.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 800 801 802 ... 1375 1376 1377