Random Politics & Religion #00

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 789 790 791 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Ragnarok.Zeig
サーバ: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2015-07-18 18:21:34  
Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Not sure if anyone posted this one yet:

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/43490/random-politics-religion/787/#2932638

You [+]'d it, lol
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
サーバ: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-07-18 18:26:10  
Ragnarok.Zeig said: »
Not sure if anyone posted this one yet:

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/43490/random-politics-religion/787/#2932638

You [+]'d it, lol
LOL! Thought so, couldn't remember.
[+]'ing it again!
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
サーバ: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-07-19 00:22:57  
Bahamut.Milamber said: »
What will? Trying to alleviate the root causes of dissatisfaction as much as possible: isolation, economic/opportunity disparity, persecution/revenge. But those aren't short term measures, either.

because it's worked so well in palestine?

I'm not going to tell you how you should argue your point... but even though past performance is no guarantee for future success, I would think you would point to some example where this has worked?

but besides that...what makes you think isis wants to end economic disparity? or isolation?

have you seen isis cut off people's heads and burn men alive in cages?

and then you think they are merely dissatisfied? with a disparity in opportunity? are you really that naive?

I don't think that you know these men, or what they are fighting for, or what they want, nor the lengths they are willing to go to get it.

I don't think you understand them at all.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-07-19 04:31:32  
It's only day 4. Funny how AFP is carrying this story though.

Quote:
The conspiracy theories grew wilder as the massive military exercise grew closer: food riots and martial law were coming to the United States, some said.

Dissidents would be assassinated, Wal-Marts turned into prison camps, foreign troops brought in to help.

Then the governor of Texas lent credence to the paranoia by ordering the state's National Guard to monitor a weekslong special operations training exercise called Jade Helm 15 involving 1,200 troops and seven states.

Some people reportedly buried their guns so government troops couldn't take them away. Others stockpiled ammunition and supplies.

A group called "Counter Jade Helm" helped organize quasi-militias to keep track of troop movements.

Jade Helm began last week not with a bang, but a whimper.

Bastrop, Texas -- the scene of a rowdy public meeting where people held up signs declaring "no Gestapo in Bastropo" and wore t-shirts with the words "come and take it" under a drawing of an automatic rifle -- was eerily calm on the third day of the exercise.

Nobody seemed to have seen any of the troops, or the out-of-town conspiracy theorists who vowed to watch their every move.

"We haven't gotten a single call," said Steve Adcock, chief of police in the town of about 7,000.

"We thought that there might be something, but nothing's occurred."

Local officials and some residents resent the attention the protests have drawn.

Bastrop is just a few miles from Camp Swift, a National Guard storage and training facility.

People who live here are strong supporters of the military, Adcock said. He didn't recognize any of the people who angrily challenged an Army colonel at April's rowdy public meeting.

"A lot of the conspiracy stuff is not local people," Adcock told AFP.

"It's making us look really bad."

Kay Rogers, a Bastrop lawyer, said a small minority of local citizens supported the protests.

"If you talk to 10 people about it, only one of them will even raise an eyebrow," she said. "We have a bunch of fringe elements in the county and they squawk pretty loud."

- 'Re-education camps' -

But while the wildest theories like how the government is building re-education camps for Christians, libertarians and other "enemies of the state" may seem outlandish, the underlying fear is widespread.

Some 60 percent of Americans see the government as a "threat to individual liberty," according to a poll conducted by Rasmussen in May.

Two thirds of respondents said they were concerned the government will use military training operations "to impose greater control over the states" yet, oddly, only 16 percent opposed having these exercises in their state.

The Army spent months trying to reassure people that the public would experience "little disruption" to their normal lives aside from "a slight increase in vehicle traffic and the limited use of military aircraft and its associated noise."

Lieutenant Colonel Mark Lastoria got visibly flustered after the lengthy Bastrop meeting erupted in applause when he was called a liar.

"It is not a preparation for martial law," he said with a sigh audible on a video of the meeting.

"Some people really, truly want to make this something it's not. All we want to do is make sure our guys are trained for combat overseas."

Efforts to create a realistic exercise by having some troops "conduct suspicious activity" while dressed as civilians -- and a map that labeled Texas and Utah as "hostile territory" -- played into the fears of people convinced the government is out to get them.

"This is by far the greatest public conditioning exercise in American history," Gary Franchi of the online Next News Network ominously warned his viewers.

"US military coordinating with local law enforcement and elements of the willing public will be conducting clandestine activities carrying weapons under aircraft cover at night wearing arm bands with a special insignia."

Martial law may not happen this summer, Franchi intoned. But when the times comes: "Troops will be ready and trained to take over your town."
US military exercise sparks fears of martial law
[+]
By fonewear 2015-07-19 08:15:09  
"Don't worry ISIS will go away if we ignore them long enough" Obama
 Bahamut.Milamber
サーバ: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-07-19 09:14:23  
Shiva.Nikolce said: »
What will? Trying to alleviate the root causes of dissatisfaction as much as possible: isolation, economic/opportunity disparity, persecution/revenge. But those aren't short term measures, either.

I'm not going to tell you how you should argue your point... but even though past performance is no guarantee for future success, I would think you would point to some example where this has worked?

but besides that...what makes you think isis wants to end economic disparity? or isolation?

and then you think they are merely dissatisfied? with a disparity in opportunity? are you really that naive?

I don't think that you know these men, or what they are fighting for, or what they want, nor the lengths they are willing to go to get it.

I should clarify: alleviating dissatisfaction reduces their foreign recruiting / support structure.
ISIS doesn't want to end economic disparity or isolation (either in their strongholds or elsewhere); those are their bread and butter.

With regards to the actual held territories, the offensive options are the typical ones:
- offer them/others stupid amounts of money until they do what you want them to
- capture people who don't do what you want them to
- establish sanctions until they do what you want them to
- kill them until they do what you want them to

You have to address both aspects of the organization (recruitment and operations), and realize that as you move further down the list of offensive options towards operations, the more likely you are to create material for recruitment.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-07-19 09:25:46  
I should clarify: alleviating dissatisfaction reduces their foreign recruiting / support structure.

where are you getting this stuff? it sounds like elizabeth warren's talking points memo
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-07-19 09:29:15  
Martial law may not happen this summer, Franchi intoned. But when the times comes: "Troops will be ready and trained to take over your town."
hahahahahahahahaha.
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-07-19 09:37:03  

where are you getting this stuff? it sounds like elizabeth warren's talking points memo
Observation and analysis of similar groups across recorded history, among other things?

IS isn't doing anything particularly new or innovative. They have better access to communications and better ability to distribute propaganda, *partially* thanks to how centralized social media has become.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-07-19 09:54:40  
Observation and analysis of similar groups across recorded history, among other things?

oh I see...because of things and stuff.. why didn't you say so in the first place...that sounds well thought out.

I hadn't considered all the "other things"...

you got a list of these groups you have analyzed there professor?
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-07-19 10:03:03  
we'll just send wave after wave of peace corps volunteers until their knives get dull and they run out of gasoline and they get tired... then we'll drop a couple of prefab starbucks in there and make them baristas...

thats a great plan zapp brannigan

here's your orange frappuccino sir, death to america
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-07-19 10:06:09  
Facebook and Twitter are behind IS, I knew it! Social media is the devil.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-07-19 10:08:35  
Odin.Jassik said: »
Thanks, but I really don't know why you bother.

me neither....

had either of you two ding dongs actually read the article you might have noticed that it agrees with aman,

ISIS recruitment success has nothing to do with economics and more about being part of something bigger than yourself and having a purpose...

I think you both are talking about two very different elements.

People from the West who are joining up vs. The hardcore IS leaders and followers

They aren't the same and they aren't being recruited in the same ways

Amand stated that a lot middle class educated individuals were crossing over to IS. Which he can't back up because the statistic does not exist.

According to the FBI only 200 individuals in total have been confirmed, and nothing mentioned middle class educated people. Specific emphasis was on teenagers and young adults.

Like Leneth pointed out many in Europe who have joined IS have since come back disillusioned.

It's really not surprising that the propaganda and promises being used to attrack foreign volunteers would not match reality.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-07-19 11:08:03  
Bahamut.Kara said: »

Yes, it's a very common tactic on P&R to try to change what the argument is about, rather than admit you are wrong.

"Amand stated that a lot middle class educated individuals were crossing over to IS. Which he can't back up because the statistic does not exist."

that isn't exactly what he said but so what.. if the statistic doesn't exist, how is his claim any more ludicrous that yours that they are poor and disenfranchised?

ok so bin laden, is one example of aman's point. he was quite wealthy and well educated...

so then to dispute that claim you would post some statistic or example that contradicted this claim not try to change the argument to there was "only 200 coming from the us" what the hell difference does that make?

Jassik said
A few hundred people are the exception to a few million.

which doesn't even make any sense. a few million what? people that didn't join isis?

so ostensibly the 200 from the US stat was supposed to support jassik's "few hundred" claim.

but it doesn't

it attempts to change the argument to the number of people coming from the usa WHICH NOBODY IS ARGUING

also, nothing in that stat says they are poor or disenfranchised.

So, I'm watching the argument from outside and commenting that your husband's post was full of ***. And he tried to spin away from it again and change the argument again.

So... in closing you are absolutely correct that we are talking about different elements. But it's mil's fault!

I know Mil meant well and was trying to validate jassik, but he was wrong because it didn't strengthen or support jassik's argument....or anyone elses...

His post was bad and he should feel bad for posting it!
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-07-19 11:33:53  
...so

Not only celebrities have the crazy ideas of buying islands! Pierre Rusconi, representative of the swiss parliament intends to actually incite the swiss goverment to buy a piece of Greece so that Switzerland would have its own sea access.

And I joked when some weeks ago I said that other countries were gonna buy Greece. The dismemberment begins!
[+]
By fonewear 2015-07-19 12:32:53  
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
...so

Not only celebrities have the crazy ideas of buying islands! Pierre Rusconi, representative of the swiss parliament intends to actually incite the swiss goverment to buy a piece of Greece so that Switzerland would have its own sea access.

And I joked when some weeks ago I said that other countries were gonna buy Greece. The dismemberment begins!

I'd invest in Greece just for some good olive oil !
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-07-19 12:48:03  

oh I see...because of things and stuff.. why didn't you say so in the first place...that sounds well thought out.

Sicarii
Fenian Brotherhood
Sheikh Said rebellion
Ararat rebellion
Aum Shinrikyo
Hui Minorities War
The various forms of IRA over the mid-late 1900s
By fonewear 2015-07-19 13:00:53  
we'll just send wave after wave of peace corps volunteers until their knives get dull and they run out of gasoline and they get tired... then we'll drop a couple of prefab starbucks in there and make them baristas...

thats a great plan zapp brannigan

here's your orange frappuccino sir, death to america

Normally when I go to starbucks I ask the barista how to end racism. And make it quick junior my coffee is getting cold !
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-07-19 13:06:46  

Yes, it's a very common tactic on P&R to try to change what the argument is about, rather than admit you are wrong.

"Amand stated that a lot middle class educated individuals were crossing over to IS. Which he can't back up because the statistic does not exist."

that isn't exactly what he said but so what.. if the statistic doesn't exist, how is his claim any more ludicrous that yours that they are poor and disenfranchised?

ok so bin laden, is one example of aman's point. he was quite wealthy and well educated...

so then to dispute that claim you would post some statistic or example that contradicted this claim not try to change the argument to there was "only 200 coming from the us" what the hell difference does that make?

Jassik said

which doesn't even make any sense. a few million what? people that didn't join isis?

so ostensibly the 200 from the US stat was supposed to support jassik's "few hundred" claim.

but it doesn't

it attempts to change the argument to the number of people coming from the usa WHICH NOBODY IS ARGUING

So, I'm watching the argument from outside and commenting that your husband's post was full of ***. And he tried to spin away from it again and change the argument again.

So... in closing you are absolutely correct that we are talking about different elements. But it's mil's fault!

I know Mil meant well and was trying to validate jassik, but he was wrong because it didn't strengthen or support jassik's argument....or anyone elses...

You can read in the FBI's testimonial that the common trend is for youth; generally speaking, people who consume social media and are seeking a sense of belonging.

In general, those seeing a sense of belonging to this extent tend to be people who feel isolated, disenfranchised, or otherwise denigrated. People who are poor often fall into one or more of those categories, but it is by no means exclusive based on income. You could well argue that seeking a sense of belonging is simply a human condition; but it is abnormal to fulfill a sense of belonging via extremism.

Unfortunately, various terrorist organizations (and those joining them) actually do have valid points of grief against the US, which doesn't exactly help matters any.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
サーバ: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-07-19 13:44:32  

Jassik said

but it doesn't

He was trying to argue that a lot of affluent westerners join ISIS as a counterpoint to poverty being a factor. I was simply pointing out that "A lot" is subjective and represents a small portion of the people who join ISIS. That you can't take the exception and disprove the rule as it were. The rest of the discussion I haven't participated in.

Since none of us are diplomats or social scientists actively studying ISIS, the most any can do is point to their findings, and their findings aren't consistent with the view you and Aman have put forth.

I don't have a horse in this race, I don't have an opinion on ISIS or how to get us out of the hole we dug ourselves, but history and the experts tell us that further occupation and oppression will only intensify the hatred.
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-07-19 14:14:09  

It's pretty much exactly what he said.

Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
It is not a rare exception. Many well education middle-class people are flocking to ISIS.

Siren.Mosin said: »
The best way to curb their recruitment is an overwhelming and humiliating defeat militarily.

NOPE!

the best way to curb recruitment is to improve the quality of life in some of these shitty counties. bombing them into rubble, probably, isn't the best way to go about that.

Describe for me the shitty quality of life the shooter in Tennessee had? Poor guy only had an Electrical Engineering degree with his whole life ahead of him living in his little nice neighborhood without a care in the world.

I didn't say "they" were poor and disenfranchised (also not the only reason mentioned). However, it's a statement I agree with if we are talking about the majority of middle eastern IS followers.

IS has anywhere from 30,000-200,000 fighters according to different countries/agencies analysts. I'd be damn impressed if most of them had college degrees and came from middle class backgrounds. According to analysists they don't, but the information the general public receives from these various analysts is not complete.

Quote:
Hmm, Bin Laden is dead, don't think he's flocking to IS currently.

The leaders of these organizations typically have had an education and some money, but the followers typically have not. Same with almost every revolution/war throughout history.

Quote:

Eh, it seems many here keep switching between the western fighters who are joining and the native home front fighters, while treating them as interchangable.

When their are different reasons and recruitment tactics being used, with some overlap between the groups.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-07-20 00:50:05  
He was trying to argue that a lot of affluent westerners join ISIS as a counterpoint to poverty being a factor.

he said they were "middle class" which is a pretty broad stroke and nobody has shown any statistics that the people going there from the us and europe aren't. Kara said "the information the general public receives from these various analysts is not complete."
and then went on to agree with me further "The leaders of organizations typically have had an education and some money"

ok and also

It's almost what he said.

almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades honey

but it is by no means exclusive based on income.

right and so if the couple hundred people from the us, 6,000 from europe 6,000 europeans join isis in syria and the leadership (according to kara)

so... roughly 6,250 or so have enough money to connect to social media and travel to syria wouldn't that then validate aman's claim that the "few hundred out of a million" figure was indeed pulled directly out of jassik's ***

I therefore find in favor of the defendant aman, and the three of you all owe him an apology...

/gavel
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-07-20 00:58:18  
Sicarii
Fenian Brotherhood
Sheikh Said rebellion
Ararat rebellion
Aum Shinrikyo
Hui Minorities War

ok for starters the sicarii all killed themselves they weren't won over by economic reform... /keeps reading

all the Sheikh Said were mercilessly hunted down and hanged...

Ararat rebellion bombed into submission...

Hui Minorities War... castrated, forced into slavery,burned to cinders in full view of the public >.>
/rubs temples

were any of them quelled with hugs and economic reform!?
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-07-20 01:02:53  
Sicarii
Fenian Brotherhood
Sheikh Said rebellion
Ararat rebellion
Aum Shinrikyo
Hui Minorities War

ok for starters the sicarii all killed themselves they weren't won over by economic reform... /keeps reading

all the Sheikh Said were mercilessly hunted down and hanged...
/rubs temples

It's obvious that all of the problems in the Middle East can be solved by pretending that we're Sandra Bullock and ISIS is just the kid from The Blind Side.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-07-20 01:05:44  
he said they were "middle class" which is a pretty broad stroke and nobody has shown any statistics that the people going there from the us and europe aren't. Kara said "the information the general public receives from these various analysts is not complete."
and then went on to agree with me further "The leaders of organizations typically have had an education and some money"

Nobody has contested that there are middle class westerners joining them, they just aren't a large enough portion of the organization to make the leap that poverty isn't a factor/major factor in ISIS's recruitment success at home. The leaders are almost certainly educated based on their tactics and mobility, but that also doesn't mean that their followers are.

It could definitely be an effective way to keep the lid on the can, but no, it probably wouldn't put the worms back in it.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-07-20 01:11:29  
Nobody has contested that there are middle class westerners joining them, they just aren't a large enough portion of the organization to make the leap that poverty isn't a factor/major factor in ISIS's recruitment success at home.

YOU DID!!! that's how this whole crapfest started!

/fume motion
/boiling teapot noise
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-07-20 01:13:56  
Come on guys, you should know better to mess with a man that provides his own sound effects.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-07-20 01:14:19  
Nobody has contested that there are middle class westerners joining them, they just aren't a large enough portion of the organization to make the leap that poverty isn't a factor/major factor in ISIS's recruitment success at home.

YOU DID!!! that's how this whole crapfest started!

/fume motion
/boiling teapot noise

No, I didn't. I said a few hundred people isn't a significant amount of their ranks as to exclude poverty as a factor in their recruiting success. The middle class westerners joining ISIS make up a maximum of 1% of the organization. If 99% of a group was poor, would you say that poverty wasn't a factor in their actions?

Did you get hacked by Altima or something?
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-07-20 01:24:52  
No, I didn't. I said a few hundred people isn't a significant amount of their ranks as to exclude poverty as a factor in their recruiting success. The middle class westerners joining ISIS make up a maximum of 1% of the organization. If 99% of a group was poor, would you say that poverty wasn't a factor in their actions?

if ifs and butts were candy and nuts I would have a warehouse full of both to the ceiling....

dude...you are pulling these numbers straight out of your ***.now it's 99%!?

say a few hundred one more time I dare you!

[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-07-20 01:29:59  
I don't know where your 99% figure is coming from. The highest estimate I've seen for the number of ISIS fighters is around 200k, with most other estimates in the 5-figure range. While some of its fighters are indeed young, uneducated, poor males, it also includes a fair number of ticked off Sunni's who feel disenfranchised as a government minority. There's more going on here that needs to be solved that feel-good charity can't fix on its own.
First Page 2 3 ... 789 790 791 ... 1375 1376 1377