Random Politics & Religion #00

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 716 717 718 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Bahamut.Kara
サーバ: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-06-30 11:29:12  
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »

Interesting, I've never read Bob Jones University vs. United States case

Quote:
Bob Jones University v. United States was decided May 24, 1983 in an 8-1 decision with majority opinion written by Warren E. Burger, and joined by William J. Brennan, Byron R. White, Thurgood Marshall, Harry A. Blackmun, John Paul Stevens, and Sandra Day O'Connor. The Court, speaking through Burger, read a "common law" public interest requirement into the statute governing tax-exempt charitable status, and cited Congress' refusal to intervene as proof that they approved of the IRS's construction of the statute. The Court applied a strict scrutiny analysis and found that the "Government has a fundamental, overriding interest in eradicating racial discrimination in education . . . which substantially outweighs whatever burden denial of tax benefits places on [the University's] exercise of their religious beliefs." The Court made clear, however, that its holding dealt "only with religious schools—not with churches or other purely religious institutions."[2]

The article you posted advocated taxing all churches no matter if they agree with gay marriage or not. Many have already been advocating this, for decades. The comments seem to mostly not agree with his stance

He's also not quoting the supreme court case correctly, as stated above, it was only for religious schools not purely religious institutions.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
サーバ: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-06-30 11:39:54  
Education is a tricky one when it comes to the first amendment. That said, there's nothing that says religious institutions are purely charitable, and many would argue all that gold in the Vatican is "profit".

I still don't see it, though. People voluntarily give money to churches and churches already pay taxes on things like capital gains.

Since they gave no "owners", it would be hard to prove they are for profit.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-06-30 11:42:24  
The real divine power is God being able to avoid paying his taxes for 13.82 billion years.

Or maybe the creation of the universe was for a tax break. Would make sense, since everything seems so haphazardly thrown together.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-06-30 12:23:18  
Odin.Jassik said: »
Education is a tricky one when it comes to the first amendment. That said, there's nothing that says religious institutions are purely charitable, and many would argue all that gold in the Vatican is "profit".

I still don't see it, though. People voluntarily give money to churches and churches already pay taxes on things like capital gains.

At the absolute minimum they should be paying property taxes. I've got to think that churches especially in cities are in otherwise prime locations for businesses...
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-06-30 12:25:54  
Ramyrez said: »
Odin.Jassik said: »

At the absolute minimum they should be paying property taxes. I've got to think that churches especially in cities are in otherwise prime locations for businesses...
or prime parking, be more useful too. (opinion).
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-06-30 12:26:54  
It's a techdirt article, snark incoming. Primary documents are linked in the full article.

Judge Orders Lying, Cheating Government To Return $167,000 To The Man They Stole It From

from the nothing-civil-about-this-forfeiture dept said:
A federal judge has just ordered the government to return $167,000 it took from a man passing through Nevada on his way to visit his girlfriend in California. The officers really wanted that money, too. They used two consecutive stops to jerry-rig some probable cause… even though at that point they thought they were only dealing with $2000. From the original stop forward, the entire situation was deplorable, indisputably showing that everyone involved was more interested in taking (and keeping) a bunch of cash than enforcing laws or pursuing justice.

judge said:
[T]he warrant application never mentions Monroe’s original stop, that Monroe called Fisher with information about Gorman and Gorman’s vehicle, or that Fisher was dispatched to investigate Gorman. This omission thereby represented to the magistrate that Fisher pulled Gorman over solely due to his traffic violations, as opposed to having been encouraged to investigate Gorman by NHP and Monroe. Second, Fisher represents in the warrant application that Gorman “indicated he had no job.” This is unambiguously contradicted by the video of Fisher’s questioning of Gorman, in which Gorman states clearly that he works for a Maui paddle board company.

The Court is disappointed that the United States would aggressively pursue this forfeiture action while all of its moving documents for summary judgment and supporting affidavits contained material omissions concerning the history leading to the traffic stop and canine sniff at issue. The government’s Motion for Summary Judgment, with supporting affidavits from Deputy Fisher and the Assistant United States’ Attorney, made no disclosure of anything which would have suggested that Fisher’s stop was a follow-up on Monroe’s stop and was based upon suspicion of a drug related offense.

The court sums it up succinctly while ordering the government to hand over not only Gorman's original $167,000, but attorney's fees as well.

Gorman is undoubtedly the successful party here.

This order shows law enforcement at its ugliest: willing to lie and cheat to maintain control of what it stole.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-06-30 12:45:12  
Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
I've started to call everyone "boss" or "chief".

Grandpa is starting to seep into the mannerisms again ~.~

See I think "chief" is great, I've always know it to be right on the line of condescension.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-06-30 12:49:46  
Bahamut.Kara said: »
The article you posted advocated taxing all churches no matter if they agree with gay marriage or not.

Are you suggesting that the article I posted doesn't advocate that churches should pay taxes if they don't participate in gay marriage?
By Ramyrez 2015-06-30 12:50:53  
The article you posted advocated taxing all churches no matter if they agree with gay marriage or not.

Are you suggesting that the article I posted doesn't advocate that churches should pay taxes if they don't participate in gay marriage?

Could you twist the narrative a little harder? I think I see a bit of it not quite bent enough to fit your needs.
By fonewear 2015-06-30 12:57:39  
Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
The real divine power is God being able to avoid paying his taxes for 13.82 billion years.

Or maybe the creation of the universe was for a tax break. Would make sense, since everything seems so haphazardly thrown together.

You see God invented taxes. Therefore he doesn't have to pay them !
By fonewear 2015-06-30 12:58:21  
Actually we can blame the Ancient Egyptians for taxes !

Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-06-30 12:59:21  

Quote:
Conservatives should not object. The libertarian position here is simple and clear: everybody has freedom of conscience, including religious organizations; the tax code should apply equally to all; and the government should not be in the business of “picking winners”, and deciding who does and who doesn’t qualify for tax exemptions. So, abolish tax exemption for all religious organizations, whether they support gay marriage or not. Religion is concerned with spiritual matters; when it comes to taxes, the general principle is “give unto Caesar that which is Caesar’s”. Which is to say, give to the country’s secular monetary authorities that which you owe in tax.

Many people would consider such a move — abolishing all religious tax exemptions — to be too drastic. But at the very least it is entirely right and proper for the state to say to a church that if you want to thumb your nose at a fundamental right which is held by all Americans, then we are not going to privilege you with tax-free status. We’ll let you practice your bigotry, at least within the confines of your own church. But we’re not about to reward you for doing so.

He wants both, at the very least ,those who don't support gay marriage.

But like I said, the supreme court case he is holding up as proof that the US has done this before is only for religious universities.

Purely religious organizations (churches) have been historically protected by the court for tax exemption and definately for discriminating against individuals because of religious beliefs. However, there are caveats that even purely religious organizations have to abide by, e.g. not engaging in politics on the pulpit.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-30 12:59:44  
What do you know taxes are in the Bible:

Early taxation is also described in the Bible. In Genesis (chapter 47, verse 24 – the New International Version), it states "But when the crop comes in, give a fifth of it to Pharaoh. The other four-fifths you may keep as seed for the fields and as food for yourselves and your households and your children"
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-06-30 13:01:47  

Could you twist the narrative a little harder? I think I see a bit of it not quite bent enough to fit your needs.

Article Headline: Does your church ban gay marriage? Then it should start paying taxes.

Then in the first paragraph:

Quote:
...now that the US government formally recognizes marriage equality as a fundamental right, it really shouldn’t skew the tax code so as to give millions of dollars in tax breaks to groups which remain steadfastly bigoted on the subject.

Response from P&R Nausi's "twisting the narrative".

Brilliant Ramy, just brilliant.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-30 13:02:48  

Quote:
Conservatives should not object. The libertarian position here is simple and clear: everybody has freedom of conscience, including religious organizations; the tax code should apply equally to all; and the government should not be in the business of “picking winners”, and deciding who does and who doesn’t qualify for tax exemptions. So, abolish tax exemption for all religious organizations, whether they support gay marriage or not. Religion is concerned with spiritual matters; when it comes to taxes, the general principle is “give unto Caesar that which is Caesar’s”. Which is to say, give to the country’s secular monetary authorities that which you owe in tax.

Many people would consider such a move — abolishing all religious tax exemptions — to be too drastic. But at the very least it is entirely right and proper for the state to say to a church that if you want to thumb your nose at a fundamental right which is held by all Americans, then we are not going to privilege you with tax-free status. We’ll let you practice your bigotry, at least within the confines of your own church. But we’re not about to reward you for doing so.

But like I said, the supreme court case he is holding up as proof that the US has done this before is only for religious universities.

Purely religious organizations (churches) have been historically protected by the court for tax exemption and definately for discriminating against individuals because of religious beliefs. However, there are cavets that even purely religious organizations have to abide by, e.g. not engaging in politics on the pulpit.

You mean like this:

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-30 13:05:58  
Jeremiah Wright never engaged in politics from the pulpit not even once !
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-06-30 13:06:38  

Quote:

Purely religious organizations (churches) have been historically protected by the court for tax exemption and definately for discriminating against individuals because of religious beliefs. However, there are caveats that even purely religious organizations have to abide by, e.g. not engaging in politics on the pulpit.

He sure does want to attack the church and for them to be punished. He's clearly advocating using the recent court ruling as the instrument.

Everyone who forecasted this just days ago was absolutely correct.
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-06-30 13:06:51  

Article Headline: Does your church ban gay marriage? Then it should start paying taxes.

Quote:
...now that the US government formally recognizes marriage equality as a fundamental right, it really shouldn’t skew the tax code so as to give millions of dollars in tax breaks to groups which remain steadfastly bigoted on the subject.

Your Article said:
...everybody has freedom of conscience, including religious organizations; the tax code should apply equally to all; and the government should not be in the business of “picking winners”, and deciding who does and who doesn’t qualify for tax exemptions. So, abolish tax exemption for all religious organizations, whether they support gay marriage or not. Religion is concerned with spiritual matters; when it comes to taxes, the general principle is “give unto Caesar that which is Caesar’s”. Which is to say, give to the country’s secular monetary authorities that which you owe in tax.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-30 13:08:04  

Quote:

They have to find some way to punish those who believe differently than they do while making it as PC friendly as possible. Saying "your specific belief is what we're punishing you for" is just a little too hard for some of them to say outright.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-30 13:08:48  
Bahamut.Ravael said: »

Quote:

They have to find some way to punish those who believe differently than they do while making it as PC friendly as possible. Saying "your specific belief is what we're punishing you for" is just a little too hard for some of them to say outright.

You know the rules Rav you either believe what I believe or you are a bigot/racist redneck !
[+]

Undelete | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-30 13:12:39  
Caitsith.Shiroi said: »

Being treated equally is punishment ...? Talk about entitlement

A lot of nonprofits are tax-exempt. What's equal about taking your rage out on churches alone?
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-06-30 13:13:09  
Bahamut.Milamber said: »

Quote:

Your Article said:
...everybody has freedom of conscience, including religious organizations; the tax code should apply equally to all; and the government should not be in the business of “picking winners”, and deciding who does and who doesn’t qualify for tax exemptions. So, abolish tax exemption for all religious organizations, whether they support gay marriage or not. Religion is concerned with spiritual matters; when it comes to taxes, the general principle is “give unto Caesar that which is Caesar’s”. Which is to say, give to the country’s secular monetary authorities that which you owe in tax.
Yes the guy is of the opinion that the churches should be punished, they don't deserve their tax breaks, they never did, but we should surely use this new legislative victory as an instrument to further punish them.

What is the purpose of quoting this? Does this somehow invalidate something earlier in the article?
By fonewear 2015-06-30 13:13:35  
Caitsith.Shiroi said: »

Being treated equally is punishment ...? Talk about entitlement

A lot of nonprofits are tax-exempt. What's equal about taking your rage out on churches alone?

Why cause churches are evil that's why !
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-06-30 13:14:25  
He sure does want to attack the church and for them to be punished. He's clearly advocating using the recent court ruling as the instrument.

Everyone who forecasted this just days ago was absolutely correct.
People attack churches all the time about taxation. People and groups have been doing this for decades.

You (and others) forecasted that "they" would force churches to marry gay couples.

Where in that article is it stating a law that would force churches to marry gay couples?

Where in that article were churches forced to marry interracial couples?

Taking away tax free status is not forcing them to marry gay couples.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-06-30 13:15:37  

Yeah. That's it. Keep playing the victim, like Christianity isn't still the major force in this country.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-06-30 13:15:40  

You know I'm with you on this one, but sometimes I don't even know if the other side even realizes they're contorting or if they don't and that's all part of the mental disorder too.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-30 13:16:02  
They're using the gay marriage ruling as a tool to remove tax-exempt status from churches. Are you guys blind? The author himself connected the two. Just because the argument is old doesn't mean that the two aren't related now.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-30 13:17:12  

Yeah. That's it. Keep playing the victim, like Christianity isn't still the major force in this country.

My bad, I forgot that you guys had the monopoly on that.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-06-30 13:18:15  
Oh ***, he found an opinion piece on a website no one's ever heard of by an author trying to generate clickbait with his poorly-researched article.

THIS MEANS SOMETHING
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 716 717 718 ... 1375 1376 1377