Random Politics & Religion #00

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 703 704 705 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Caitsith.Zahrah
サーバ: Caitsith
Game: FFXI
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2015-06-25 14:23:36  
Ramyrez said: »
Ugh. Anything amusing about Tom Green went away with a few friends I had in college who liked him entirely too much our freshman year.

It's fifteen years down the road now. Can we finally ask the question, why was Tom Green even popular?
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-06-25 14:24:00  
Cerberus.Laconic said: »
We have to learn it and learn from it so it doesn't happen again. History that is allowed to be forgotten is apt to be repeated.

Which is exactly why I said it shouldn't be flying on government buildings as a current symbol of anything.

Let private citizens live in the past if they want to.

Let it be shown in museums as a relic with all its associations cited, good and bad.

But get it off of official government grounds.
 Caitsith.Zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2015-06-25 14:27:49  
Enuyasha said: »
And So It Begins.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/culture/la-et-cm-thomas-jefferson-confederate-statues-20150624-story.html
http://www.macrumors.com/2015/06/25/apple-removes-civil-war-games-confederate-flag/
http://nypost.com/2015/06/24/gone-with-the-wind-should-go-the-way-of-the-confederate-flag/
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-confederate-monument-lake-eola-petition-20150624-story.html
http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/06/lee_circle_statue_robert_e_lee.html

If we ban Gone With The Wind because of slavery then we have to ban every single movie made and every book written about slavery and The Civil War including school history books and anything and everything that has a confederate flag on it Then we have to ban movies like Schindlers List because it shows a fairly accurate depiction of the Holocaust and other classic movies that depict WWII and show the Nazi flag. We have to ban The Diary Of Anne Frank because Anne writes about her Jewish family and friends living in an attic together in fear of being captured and tortured by the Nazis in WWII and they eventually were found and killed except for dad Otto. After all this is banned then we have to move on to banning anything do with the history of Native Americans, the massacres etc.. Books like Little House On The Prairie have to go because Laura describes in detail how Indians stormed into their home and terrified them etc... Where does it end? We can't hide from every ugly thing that ever happened in history. We have to learn it and learn from it so it doesn't happen again. History that is allowed to be forgotten is apt to be repeated.
Thats a huge slippery slope there. Honestly, the taking down of the glorious traitor shrines shouldve been done a LONG time ago. If you want to preserve history and the arts (Which, even though their subject matter is less than sociable, but they are stull works of art), put them in a museum.

Don't bother. He seems to think The South's identity and culture is intrinsically tied to a damn flag.

'Cause, you know, it's not like if you're an avid Civil War enthusiast you can't shuttle off to Vicksburg and peruse the memorials. If you love the Antebellum South, there's not plantations that are preserved either by the state or privately.

It's the flag. That's The South.
 Cerberus.Laconic
サーバ: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Laconic 2015-06-25 14:29:29  
Why don't you people see it has never really been about the flag? Does the Washington memorial have to come down before you guy are realize wtf is going on or do you support that as well?
Administrator
サーバ: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2015-06-25 14:29:46  
Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
It's fifteen years down the road now. Can we finally ask the question, why was Tom Green even popular?

We can ask, but what the answer tells us about ourselves is going to be really, really uncomfortable.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-06-25 14:30:01  

Meh. Truth be told I shouldn't even care about it being on public buildings.

To paraphrase George Carlin, "it's a symbol, and I leaves symbols to the symbol-minded".
By Ramyrez 2015-06-25 14:31:01  
Why don't you people see it has never really been about the flag?

Yeah. You're right.

It's always been about what that flag represents, and putting it in the past once and for all.
By Enuyasha 2015-06-25 14:33:09  
And So It Begins.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/culture/la-et-cm-thomas-jefferson-confederate-statues-20150624-story.html
http://www.macrumors.com/2015/06/25/apple-removes-civil-war-games-confederate-flag/
http://nypost.com/2015/06/24/gone-with-the-wind-should-go-the-way-of-the-confederate-flag/
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-confederate-monument-lake-eola-petition-20150624-story.html
http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/06/lee_circle_statue_robert_e_lee.html

If we ban Gone With The Wind because of slavery then we have to ban every single movie made and every book written about slavery and The Civil War including school history books and anything and everything that has a confederate flag on it Then we have to ban movies like Schindlers List because it shows a fairly accurate depiction of the Holocaust and other classic movies that depict WWII and show the Nazi flag. We have to ban The Diary Of Anne Frank because Anne writes about her Jewish family and friends living in an attic together in fear of being captured and tortured by the Nazis in WWII and they eventually were found and killed except for dad Otto. After all this is banned then we have to move on to banning anything do with the history of Native Americans, the massacres etc.. Books like Little House On The Prairie have to go because Laura describes in detail how Indians stormed into their home and terrified them etc... Where does it end? We can't hide from every ugly thing that ever happened in history. We have to learn it and learn from it so it doesn't happen again. History that is allowed to be forgotten is apt to be repeated.
Thats a huge slippery slope there. Honestly, the taking down of the glorious traitor shrines shouldve been done a LONG time ago. If you want to preserve history and the arts (Which, even though their subject matter is less than sociable, but they are stull works of art), put them in a museum.

Don't bother. He seems to think The South's identity and culture is intrinsically tied to a damn flag.

'Cause, you know, it's not like if you're an avid Civil War enthusiast you can't shuttle off to Vicksburg and peruse the memorials. If you love the Antebellum South, there's not plantations that are preserved either by the state or privately.

I had to explain to someone today how symbols hold a large variety of meanings that are also valid when in concerns to what that symbol represents.

I grabbed at the low hanging Swastika and islamic extremist flags fruit, but i hope i got my point across.

From Southerners its the very flawed argument of "BUT ITS MY HERITAGE AND IM PROUD OF IT!". And i agree, The South and "Being Southern" Is a whole lot more than what the rebel flag encompasses, unless people actually like want to be conceptually thought as a bigot in extension.

Why don't you people see it has never really been about the flag? Does the Washington memorial have to come down before you guy are realize wtf is going on or do you support that as well?

That slippery slope again. Do you realize why people dont get swastika tattoos on their foreheads and claim its about their german heritage? Or does the concept escape you?
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-06-25 14:36:49  
Is a whole lot more than what the rebel flag encompasses, unless people actually like want to be conceptually thought as a bigot in extension.

Frankly -- and I realize this is my opinion -- but I've always thought...if you care about states' rights so much, or your region...fly your state flag?

I mean, yeah, you don't all have awesome flags like Pennsylvania, so I know it's a bit disappointing, but...seriously. I think it gets your point across just as well -- if not better -- than that.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-25 14:37:28  
But again, there's a distinct difference between what you shouldn't do, and what you're not allowed to do.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-06-25 14:39:40  
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
But again, there's a distinct difference between what you shouldn't do, and what you're not allowed to do.

And that's where we all like to argue about...everything.

Then there's what you're not allowed to do that you should be able to do.

Like...seriously. Can I ditch these pants already without public indecency charges? I've behaved for 33 years and I'm getting a little tired of the Trouserocracy.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-06-25 14:43:32  
Ugh. Anything amusing about Tom Green went away with a few friends I had in college who liked him entirely too much our freshman year.

*** mobile

Nuff said.

These leftist nut jobs will come for the American flag next.
[+]
 Bahamut.Omael
user: Omael
By Bahamut.Omael 2015-06-25 14:44:52  

Like...seriously. Can I ditch these pants already without public indecency charges? I've behaved for 33 years and I'm getting a little tired of the Trouserocracy.

The rebellion begins here!

[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-25 14:51:07  

It's about 15 years can we ask why FFXI is so popular too !
 Caitsith.Zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2015-06-25 14:52:23  
And So It Begins.

I had to explain to someone today how symbols hold a large variety of meanings that are also valid when in concerns to what that symbol represents.

I grabbed at the low hanging Swastika and islamic extremist flags fruit, but i hope i got my point across.

From Southerners its the very flawed argument of "BUT ITS MY HERITAGE AND IM PROUD OF IT!". And i agree, The South and "Being Southern" Is a whole lot more than what the rebel flag encompasses, unless people actually like want to be conceptually thought as a bigot in extension.

That slippery slope again. Do you realize why people dont get swastika tattoos on their foreheads and claim its about their german heritage? Or does the concept escape you?

B-b-b-but, Louisiana!

/furiously shakes Lousiasha

It's NOT really about the flag! It's about Obama coming to bust up Shreve's work on the Red River because of those scallywags who hid Jefferson Davis!!!

May as well have fun with it now.
By fonewear 2015-06-25 14:52:38  

When alcohol is involved there is no should or shouldn't there is just do !
Administrator
サーバ: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2015-06-25 14:53:20  
fonewear said: »
It's about 15 years can we ask why FFXI is so popular too !

No. This thread is volatile enough as it is.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-25 14:53:55  
Bahamut.Omael said: »

The rebellion begins here!

Lisa this is all the money we have bury in the back yard before you father burns it !
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-06-25 14:55:09  
fonewear said: »

When alcohol is involved there is no should or shouldn't there is just do !

I, uh.

*raise hand hesitantly*

Small point of order about the alcohol and "should" or "shouldn't" as relates to pants.

I have it from a "reliable source" that alcohol is not acceptable reason to, and I quote, "let it all hang out".
By Enuyasha 2015-06-25 14:55:25  
And So It Begins.

B-b-b-but, Louisiana!

/furiously shakes Lousiasha

It's NOT really about the flag! It's about Obama coming to bust up Shreve's work on the Red River because of those scallywags who hid Jefferson Davis!!!

May as well have fun with it now.
Jindal is best governor, us liberal welfare queens just hate that he's making us get jobs.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-06-25 14:57:03  
Personally, I like Bernie Sanders' idea to fix all the *** awful bridges in our country and unemployment at the same time...
By Enuyasha 2015-06-25 14:58:18  
Personally, I like Bernie Sanders' idea to fix all the *** awful bridges in our country and unemployment at the same time...
Thatll work, except all the money will go to The French Quarter and the same road will be fixed 6 times in a month like time en memoreum.
By fonewear 2015-06-25 14:58:34  

More government stimulus ?
 Caitsith.Zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2015-06-25 15:04:39  
Jindal is best governor, us liberal welfare queens just hate that he's making us get jobs.

I heard that if you turn off the bathroom lights, light a candle, repeat Abbott three times in the mirror, do the hokey-pokey and turn yourself about, Perry will become President in 2016!
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-25 15:05:13  
*googling welfare queens* did not disappoint !
[+]
 Bahamut.Omael
user: Omael
By Bahamut.Omael 2015-06-25 15:07:30  

I heard that if you turn off the bathroom lights, light a candle, repeat Abbott three times in the mirror, do the hokey-pokey and turn yourself about, Perry will become President in 2016!

Like Perry couldn't be the President with his +1 Glasses of Smartening.
[+]
By Enuyasha 2015-06-25 15:08:16  

Jindal closed"re-purposed" all of our community clinics Satanic abortion chapels.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-25 15:09:45  
According to google this is a welfare queen:

[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-25 15:11:53  
And gasp she is from the UK:

http://dailycaller.com/2014/10/28/british-welfare-queen-im-fat-because-i-dont-get-enough-taxpayer-money-video/

Christina Briggs is 26 years old, has two kids and weighs 350 pounds. And she blames the British welfare system for making her morbidly obese.

Briggs claims the money she receives, £20,000 ($35,500), isn’t enough for her to buy healthy food, so her cabinets are loaded with junk food. “It’s not my fault – healthy food is too expensive,” she said.

Unemployed since becoming pregnant after a one-night-stand, Briggs’ two children are by two different men.

Briggs told Closer magazine she needs more money if she’s going to get healthy, saying it would be best if the government offered her money, £1 per pound ($1.61 US), to lose weight. She claims she can’t get a job because she has to care for her children, one of which has attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and kidney issues.

“There’s no way I could get a job,” she says. “I don’t feel bad about the taxpayer funding my life and my child’s medical problems, because I don’t treat myself or buy anything excessive. I just get enough money to live on – the taxpayers should help fund my diet.”
By fonewear 2015-06-25 15:16:44  
Scientists are still baffled how woman that weighs 350 pounds can have one kid let alone two !
First Page 2 3 ... 703 704 705 ... 1375 1376 1377