Random Politics & Religion #00

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 680 681 682 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Siren.Mosin
サーバ: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2015-06-19 10:56:29  
Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Which one?

well I was talking recent history since they both gave it a good go in ancient history.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-06-19 10:58:27  
Siren.Mosin said: »
Which one?

well I was talking recent history since they both gave it a good go in ancient history.

The secret my friend was polytheism.

Both abandoned Zeus so he abandoned them.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-06-19 10:58:36  
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Most kids don't eat at school for every meal of the day. By the time they hit school, a lot of their likes and dislikes in food is already set. Most schools are nutrition minded, but they also have an understanding of what kids will and won't eat there. Forcing blanket and ineffective legislation is doing what exactly? It's not training kids to eat healthy if they don't do it at home. It's not encouraging them to eat healthy if their choice is between kale chips (<- hyperbole) at school or whatever crap they can bring with them. I'd say it does more to show them that healthy eating sucks, is restrictive, and is what "the man" wants them to do.

Maybe schools where you live are, but none of the ones I went to or family members went to were. So, I'm not sure most is an accurate description. It could be, but I'd have to see more data.

Corporate sponsership played a big role at the public schools I attended. We had pizza hut starting in 6th grade available to purchase, along with coke and snack machines.

In 9th grade Surge came out and the entire student body received free Surge drinks for a week. Those poor teachers.

Chick-fil-a and krispy kreme also made apperances in high school.

Then there is the square pizza that I'm sure many remember.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
サーバ: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2015-06-19 10:59:53  
I'd take some of that rectangular pizza right now.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-06-19 11:00:32  
Which one?

The secret my friend was polytheism.

Both abandoned Zeus so he abandoned them.

From what I remember of the Greek gods, being left alone by Zeus was probably not the worst thing that could happen.

Dude was use his lightning bolts to power all kinds of sockets, if you know what I mean. Couldn't have been easy being a Greek dude. Probably why they, uh. Well.

Went Greek a lot.
By Ramyrez 2015-06-19 11:01:06  
I'd take some of that rectangular pizza right now.

I loved that stuff, man.

That's probably the worst part of me making this argument, because I actually really liked my schools lunches in their greasy, salt-packed glory.

***. Now I want hamburg gravy, mashed potatoes, and corn.
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-19 11:03:43  
Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
Most kids don't eat at school for every meal of the day. By the time they hit school, a lot of their likes and dislikes in food is already set. Most schools are nutrition minded, but they also have an understanding of what kids will and won't eat there. Forcing blanket and ineffective legislation is doing what exactly? It's not training kids to eat healthy if they don't do it at home. It's not encouraging them to eat healthy if their choice is between kale chips (<- hyperbole) at school or whatever crap they can bring with them. I'd say it does more to show them that healthy eating sucks, is restrictive, and is what "the man" wants them to do.
If it's innefective then that is an issue and it needs to be corrected.

Again, there is already an established problem. Is your answer to do nothing about it? This is too hard or my kid doesn't like that so... Don't tell me what to do!

Doing nothing continues to let the problem grow and grow. Is that what we should do?

Well, the problem our government has is that it sees a problem that doing nothing won't fix... and promptly makes it worse by acting on it. Maybe if they didn't pass through half-baked, horribly inefficient policies that Congressmen don't even bother to read (insert infamous Nancy Pelosi quote here), then perhaps "doing nothing" wouldn't seem like such a superior option.
By Ramyrez 2015-06-19 11:07:30  
Well, the problem our government has is that it sees a problem that doing nothing won't fix... and promptly makes it worse by acting on it. Maybe if they didn't pass through half-baked, horribly inefficient policies that Congressmen don't even bother to read (insert infamous Nancy Pelosi quote here), then perhaps "doing nothing" wouldn't seem like such a superior option.

Except that, to enact a superior policy (in terms of achieving the desired goals), you would really get up in arms, I bet, because of all the limitations of freedoms you would perceive (and, in some cases, be correct about even).
By Ramyrez 2015-06-19 11:09:54  
Bahamut.Kara said: »
Corporate sponsership played a big role at the public schools I attended.

We had no corporate involvement. And for a couple of years we weren't even allowed to use the vending machines during the day, only before 8:00 and after 3:00. Not for the nutritional deficiency of Pepsi, but because the school didn't feel it was right to be doing corporate business on school hours.

...come to think of it, my school was pretty great in a lot of ways, if not perfect. It could explain my very negative view of the current mess that is education, and my disdain of private schooling.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-19 11:14:22  
Ramyrez said: »

Except that, to enact a superior policy (in terms of achieving the desired goals), you would really get up in arms, I bet, because of all the limitations of freedoms you would perceive (and, in some cases, be correct about even).

Perhaps, but for once I'd like to be forced to eat crow because one of these freedom-limiting laws actually worked as intended. Instead I find myself watching train wreck after train wreck, but I'm not allowed to complain because doggonit they tried.
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-06-19 11:29:49  
Corporate sponsership played a big role at the public schools I attended.

We had no corporate involvement. And for a couple of years we weren't even allowed to use the vending machines during the day, only before 8:00 and after 3:00. Not for the nutritional deficiency of Pepsi, but because the school didn't feel it was right to be doing corporate business on school hours.

...come to think of it, my school was pretty great in a lot of ways, if not perfect. It could explain my very negative view of the current mess that is education, and my disdain of private schooling.
Sounds like you had a good school. But is that the norm throughout the US?

Brief search indicates vending machines and other competitive food sources to be the norm, but I haven't seen a study that looks at schools restricting those purchases.

Will edit in links, stupid safari refresh
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18595970
http://nepc.colorado.edu/files/CERU-0603-172-OWI.pdf
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20869493
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2879179/
 Lakshmi.Flavin
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-06-19 11:35:51  
We had pizza hut and taco bell along with chili cheese nachos and fries. Plenty of pop in the vending machines too.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-06-19 11:36:34  

Perhaps, but for once I'd like to be forced to eat crow because one of these freedom-limiting laws actually worked as intended. Instead I find myself watching train wreck after train wreck, but I'm not allowed to complain because doggonit they tried.
idk you seem to be doing alright in the complaining department.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-19 11:39:26  

idk you seem to be doing alright in the complaining department.

Well, I could take a cue from you guys and try to pass my complaints as a bill. That should fix the problem.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
サーバ: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-06-19 11:40:48  
Quote:
North Korea says it has succeeded where the greatest minds in science have failed.

The authoritarian, impoverished nation better known for pursuing a nuclear program despite global criticism announced Friday it has a drug can prevent and cure MERS, Ebola, SARS and AIDS.

The secretive state did not provide proof, and the claim is likely to provoke widespread skepticism.

The official Korean Central News Agency said scientists developed Kumdang-2 from ginseng grown from fertilizer mixed with rare-earth elements. According to the pro-North Korea website Minjok Tongshin, the drug was originally produced in 1996.

"Malicious virus infections like SARS, Ebola and MERS are diseases that are related to immune systems, so they can be easily treated by Kumdang-2 injection drug, which is a strong immune reviver," KCNA said.
North Korea claims it has cure for MERS, Ebola and AIDS
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-19 11:42:36  
Hmm, and after reading about this some more, it turns out that the U.S. isn't even that special in the childhood obesity department. There are four countries ahead of the U.S. and a bunch more that aren't very far behind.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-19 11:43:31  
Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
The secretive state did not provide proof

[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-06-19 11:53:19  
Hmm, and after reading about this some more, it turns out that the U.S. isn't even that special in the childhood obesity department. There are four countries ahead of the U.S. and a bunch more that aren't very far behind.

According to the OECD the US is first in adult obesity and number 5 in childhood obesity.

The top 4 countries for child obesity rank 3rd (New Zealand), 14th (Greece), 17th(Slovenia), and 34th (Italy) for adult obesity.

So, what do they do differently later in life in those countries (excluding New Zealand which seems on par with the US) or will they trend toward US levels in the next few years for their adult population?
 Shiva.Nikolce
サーバ: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-06-19 11:55:54  
the US is first in adult obesity

/rips off shirt and twirls it overhead

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! WE'RE NUMBER 1!!!! YEAH!
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-06-19 11:57:29  
Well, I could take a cue from you guys and try to pass my complaints as a bill. That should fix the problem.
Trying to fix a problem is passing a complaint as a bill? ok... well at least I'd hope it'd make ya feel better little buddy.
So is this your new thing? Even if we have a problem its not all that bad if someone is doing it worse than us so we're good?
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-06-19 12:01:37  
But is that the norm throughout the US?

No idea. I probably would have loved the corporate stuff at the time, but I probably also would have left high school 25 lbs heavier.
By Ramyrez 2015-06-19 12:02:22  
Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
North Korea claims it has cure for MERS, Ebola and AIDS

"You see, we just kill the infected and burn their bodies. That way it's controlled!"
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-06-19 12:03:25  
Shiva.Nikolce said: »

Image in head...

/scrubsheadclean
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-06-19 12:03:56  
Shiva.Nikolce said: »
the US is first in adult obesity

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! WE'RE NUMBER 1!!!! YEAH!

FARVA'S NUMBER ONE! FARVA'S NUMBER ONE!
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-19 12:04:29  
So is this your new thing? Even if we have a problem its not all that bad if someone is doing it worse than us so we're good?

Nope. It just surprised me is all, given the rhetoric. If phrasing my argument for me and arguing against it makes you feel all tingly inside, have at it.
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-06-19 12:06:27  

You are certainly allowed to complain. Now, do your complaints have basis?

That's the tricky question. Doing some preliminary reading on the SchoolNutrition.Org pdf you linked, there is this:
Quote:
FACT: The new nutrition standards for school meals are so complex that since October 2010, USDA has
released approximately 200 policy memos to clarify the regulations. The Q&A document on the Final
Rule on the “Nutrition Standards in the National School Lunch and School Breakfast Programs” is in its
7th iteration and is 62 pages long. This is just one of several Q&A documents pertaining to the new
regulations.
The Q&A document linked is 62 pages long (which really isn't very long at all). It's also written well, and pretty damn straightforward.

Now, I'd argue that the original item is not structured well for those who need to implement the rule. At all.
The new regulations start on page 16; wait, no, page 22; wait, no, it is summarized on page 24; oh wait, the actual requirements to the program start on page 54 (for lunch) and 67 (for breakfast). The document is 81 pages long. 54 pages of it are essentially irrelevant to actually performing the task as hand, and involve the history of how the rule evolved to the point at which it is now. Discard.

Now that you have where the requirements begin, the guidelines themselves are pretty friggin straightforward.

The 62 page Q&A document? It mainly takes excerpts from the rule, so that people who don't read the document can have information on it.
Example:
QnA said:
What forms of fruits are required?
Schools may offer fruits that are fresh; frozen without sugar; canned in light syrup, water or
fruit juice; or dried. Pasteurized, full-strength fruit juice may also be offered (it is credited to
meet no more than one-half of the fruits component offered over the week). Required
quantities are established in the meal patterns for lunch and breakfast. Note: Frozen fruit
with added sugar allowed temporarily in SY 2012-2013 and SY 2013-2014. See
memorandum SP 20-2012-Revised.

Rule said:
(ii) Fruits component.
Schools must offer fruits daily as part of the lunch menu.

Fruits that are fresh; frozen without added sugar; canned in light syrup, water or fruit juice; or dried may be offered to meet the requirements of this paragraph.

All fruits are credited based on their volume as served, except that 1⁄4 cup of dried fruit counts as 1⁄2 cup of fruit.

Only pasteurized, fullstrength fruit juice may be used, and may be credited to meet no more than one-half of the fruits component.

No, the rules are not overly complex. They are actually pretty straightforward and clear.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-06-19 12:09:21  
Bahamut.Milamber said: »
The 62 page Q&A document? It mainly takes excerpts from the rule, so that people who don't read the document can have information on it.

It's so people who went, "TL;DR!" Can turn around again and go "TL;DR;Too Hard!"
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-06-19 12:17:48  

Nope. It just surprised me is all, given the rhetoric. If phrasing my argument for me and arguing against it makes you feel all tingly inside, have at it.
How is asking you questions any of the nonsense you just claimed it was?
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-19 12:25:14  

They were stupid questions that were inferred from basically nothing. If you prefer, you can just assume the answer to them is "no".
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-06-19 12:29:25  

They were stupid questions that were inferred from basically nothing. If you prefer, you can just assume the answer to them is "no".
So you just think they're stupid so you made up some *** about me making an argument for you and then arguing against it myself. Good on you buddy lol..

I didn't infer it from basically nothing. I was curious because instead of actually discussing the issue your last few posts have been about other nations and how they're either worse than us, right around us or how they do things as shitty as us. I was asking to find out if you actually are using that as some kind of excuse or you're just rambling on about other places in the world.
First Page 2 3 ... 680 681 682 ... 1375 1376 1377