Random Politics & Religion #00

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 678 679 680 ... 1375 1376 1377
By fonewear 2015-06-19 09:37:18  
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Odin.Jassik said: »
I just can't believe that it's been politicized.

Funny how people would politicize something that is going through the political process of lawmaking.
That's unheard of.

There is nothing partisan about preventing our youth from childhood diabetes. The only reason there is opposition to the legislation is because it's coming from Obama's direction. It's blatant brinksmanship.

You can't force people to be healthy. If they want to get fat and die, that's their choice. Tell me again how you're a libertarian?

That won't stop Michelle with her magical mystery garden.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
サーバ: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-06-19 09:37:51  
I just can't believe that it's been politicized.

Funny how people would politicize something that is going through the political process of lawmaking.
That's unheard of.

There is nothing partisan about preventing our youth from childhood diabetes. The only reason there is opposition to the legislation is because it's coming from Obama's direction. It's blatant brinksmanship.

You can't force people to be healthy. If they want to get fat and die, that's their choice. Tell me again how you're a libertarian?
This isn't really forcing people (in general) as much as it is limiting poor intake in government run facilities by minors that they are responsible for while they are there. As far as I know this doesn't prevent them from bringing in their wn lunches with whatever the hell they want but rather what would be served to them while they are there by the facility.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-06-19 09:37:59  
The solution is clearly to homeschool them. Then they can be uneducated, socially HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE, fat, and useless.

Just the way the rich right wants them.
By fonewear 2015-06-19 09:38:41  
Ramyrez said: »
The solution is clearly to homeschool them. Then they can be uneducated, socially HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE, fat, and useless.

Hey now quit describing the average FFXI player !
 Bahamut.Ravael
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-19 09:48:14  
That's all fine and dandy until the school is so restricted that they can't make meals that are appealing to students. Not to mention the fact that it drives up the costs of meals, with more than half of schools surveyed saying that the government reimbursement isn't able to cover the cost differences.

So let's see, lower participation, higher costs, more food waste, hundreds of policy memos being sent out to clarify what exactly the standards are... sounds like government intervention to me.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-06-19 09:49:51  
That point where Americans are essentially declaring they want their children to be unhealthy yet talk about being pro life.

Jesus Christ the disconnect.

It's about serving up ***to kids in schools. You know, that deep fried ***that ruinates you later. If you want your child to have the freedom to eat ***daily, make it yourself.
By fonewear 2015-06-19 09:50:05  
That's all fine and dandy until the school is so restricted that they can't make meals that are appealing to students. Not to mention the fact that it drives up the costs of meals, with more than half of schools surveyed saying that the government reimbursement isn't able to cover the cost differences.

So let's see, lower participation, higher costs, more food waste, hundreds of policy memos being sent out to clarify what exactly the standards are... sounds like government intervention to me.

That is why we have quality products like "government cheese" it's a cheese like product that kids enjoy.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-06-19 09:50:31  

Homeschooling isn't as bad as you think. It's also probably not always how you imagine it. I have 4 cousins that were all homeschooled (2 of which still are) and 2 of them up until they went away to college. They basically lived in a community of likeminded people that the mothers stayed at home and had a little program between all of them that educated the children. They were a little socially akward (I think because they spent most of their time around the same group of people all the time) but they were very intelligent and when they got to college they did well. One was a poli sci or something major who obtained his masters and is working in D.C. and the other is an engineer who just graduated this year.

I mean its a far cry from the parents hording their children away and only teaching them what they believe which I think is what most people default to but homeschooling is an option and in some cases a pretty good one.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-19 09:51:32  
Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
That point where Americans are essentially declaring they want the government to decide everything for them but talk about being pro-choice.

Jesus Christ the disconnect.

Ftfy?
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-19 09:52:25  
Don't worry if even you don't home school. The video games will make them fat lazy and socially HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE. There is no winning !
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-06-19 09:53:12  
It's a public school dude, the government is going to decide that meals shouldn't be ***. If you want your kid to eat crap, I think you should be able to do that.

Bag it.
By fonewear 2015-06-19 09:54:32  
I demand school lunch be made from Whole Foods at probably triple the cost of a normal school lunch !

Apple pfft organic apples.

Milk...not unless it is locally produced by a hippie !
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-19 09:56:58  
Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
It's a public school dude, the government is going to decide that meals shouldn't be ***. If you want your kid to eat crap, I think you should be able to do that.

Bag it.

Except it's not working. Logistically it's a nightmare. Don't take my word for it.

School Nutrition Organization: Myth vs. Fact
By Ramyrez 2015-06-19 09:57:38  
Lakshmi.Flavin said: »

Homeschooling isn't as bad as you think. It's also probably not always how you imagine it. I have 4 cousins that were all homeschooled (2 of which still are) and 2 of them up until they went away to college. They basically lived in a community of likeminded people that the mothers stayed at home and had a little program between all of them that educated the children. They were a little socially akward (I think because they spent most of their time around the same group of people all the time) but they were very intelligent and when they got to college they did well. One was a poli sci or something major who obtained his masters and is working in D.C. and the other is an engineer who just graduated this year.

I mean its a far cry from the parents hording their children away and only teaching them what they believe which I think is what most people default to but homeschooling is an option and in some cases a pretty good one.

Yeah, I know. I'm hard on homeschooling beacuse of a portion of them. I work with MDs who have homeschooled their kids, and some how have lived in said communities. I still think that even under the best of circumstances it's of dubious value though, because school is about so much more than just what you learn in class.

Just opinion though. And one that has little to no practical application in my own life. *shrug*
By Ramyrez 2015-06-19 09:59:26  
fonewear said: »
I demand school lunch be made from Whole Foods at probably triple the cost of a normal school lunch !

Apple pfft organic apples.

Milk...not unless it is locally produced by a hippie !

There is no scientific basis for eating organic. Somewhat paradoxically, the organic food push is capitalism at work preying on people's fears. Same for the GMO scare tactics.

Drinking milk is entirely unnecessary, though it does have some benefits. I wouldn't go throwing raw milk at children who have never even seen it in their lives, though.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-06-19 10:00:02  

So it's no longer about just not giving people what they want as it is about costs and such?

Idk... money can make being able to run programs more difficult but when I think about raising kids and such the general basis is that we are supposed to be doing whats best for them correct? Serving them food that is better for them and leads them to better health and awareness would be part of that right? I'm not sure if you have kids or nto so hypothetically would you give into any of their demands or would you tell them they have to eat their veggies instead of grabbing a side of icecream with that fried chicken?

We make decisions for them because we supposedly know whats better. We're not just supposed to give them whatever they want either. It doesn't really have to be all that appealing and honestly if you get them started on healthier things early kids will eat just about anything.

The thing is here that we have a problem. It is a problem and we know its a problem. Keeping on the same path because we don't want to be told what to do or because its a little more difficult the other way shouldn't be the right choice. Finding a way to maybe alter the legislation or work with those writing it to make it work for everyone though...
[+]
 Cerberus.Laconic
サーバ: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Laconic 2015-06-19 10:06:01  

I want to see the proof of school lunch's causing one cause of childhood diabetes.

Another thing I have noticed a bunch of people saying is "bag it". Isn't it interesting how they want to point out that a choice does exists, even though everyone knows that is the next thing to get "restricted" from schools.
By Ramyrez 2015-06-19 10:07:14  
they can't make meals that are appealing to students.

Here's the thing. The meals aren't appealing to students because their families have already attuned them to a diet higher in salts, fats, and sugars.

"Natural preference" for foods certainly exists, and children naturally taste bitter food more intensely, which is why getting them to eat unaltered veggies can be so difficult in many instances.

But a large portion of the reason those "healthier" foods are unappealing is entirely because of how their palletes have already been conditioned.

Again, this is a "I'm not just the owner; I'm a client" moment. I can tell you that it takes a lot of *** work and, frankly, irritation/displeasure as an adult to adjust to a healthier diet once you've lived for 25 years on a steady diet of deliciousness-heavy, nutrient-weak food.

Now, in fairness to my parents, we only ate fried/greasy food once or twice a weak (pizza, wings, burgers/fries/etc.) But once you grow up and leave home and you don't have anyone telling you to eat the untasty stuff today...

Getting them on the right path as children is long-term going to help them.
By Ramyrez 2015-06-19 10:10:35  
Cerberus.Laconic said: »
I want to see the proof of school lunch's causing one cause of childhood diabetes.

Anecdotal, but from age 12 and up my school offered endless sugar/fat (Little Debbie snacks/etc.) as extras at school where you could purchase essentially an unlimitted quantity at a cheaper cost than you could at most convenience stores.

Another thing I have noticed a bunch of people saying is "bag it". Isn't it interesting how they want to point out that a choice does exists, even though everyone knows that is the next thing to get "restricted" from schools.

If it helps, I am adamantly against the schools telling children what they can bring in to eat. If their parents want them eating whatever they want, that's their choice.

But for those who choose to/have to eat the school's food (and yes, especially for those of whom their parents are pieces of ***and can't/won't feed them), a balanced, nutrient-rich lunch should be the order of the day.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-06-19 10:10:37  
Stop helping children.

Clearly the wise parents will feed their children well and the awful parents children will just die off. Nature will correct itself and thus balance is achieved. Bonus points because the poor will die off in droves as a result. Win/win scenarios.

Freedom! To die painfully of heart failure.
[+]
 Cerberus.Laconic
サーバ: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Laconic 2015-06-19 10:10:39  
Keeping on the same path because we don't want to be told

Seems quite a few people on this forum love to be told what to do and how to do it.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-06-19 10:12:07  

Yeah, I know. I'm hard on homeschooling beacuse of a portion of them. I work with MDs who have homeschooled their kids, and some how have lived in said communities. I still think that even under the best of circumstances it's of dubious value though, because school is about so much more than just what you learn in class.

Just opinion though. And one that has little to no practical application in my own life. *shrug*
I think it all depends really. The only thing you really miss out on in some cases is social interaction which you can pick up in clubs outside of schools and the like. They still have friends and such in this community. I think the biggest culture shock thing is that all the people they are around are similarly minded. you don't really always get a full view of how everyone is.

In any case I can't really argue with the results as they all turned out to be really good well adapted kids so I mean what can ya say.
By fonewear 2015-06-19 10:15:17  
All the more reason to not have kids.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-06-19 10:15:23  
any case I can't really argue with the results as they all turned out to be really good well adapted kids so I mean what can ya say.

All just personal experience then, I guess. I've seen a lot of gifted/home schooled kids adapt absolutely horribly once they hit real life.
By Ramyrez 2015-06-19 10:15:49  

Seems quite a few people on this forum love to be told what to do and how to do it.

Now come on. Let's be honest.

We want to be the ones doing the telling.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-19 10:15:52  
Most kids don't eat at school for every meal of the day. By the time they hit school, a lot of their likes and dislikes in food is already set. Most schools are nutrition minded, but they also have an understanding of what kids will and won't eat there. Forcing blanket and ineffective legislation is doing what exactly? It's not training kids to eat healthy if they don't do it at home. It's not encouraging them to eat healthy if their choice is between kale chips (<- hyperbole) at school or whatever crap they can bring with them. I'd say it does more to show them that healthy eating sucks, is restrictive, and is what "the man" wants them to do.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-19 10:16:29  
The problem I have with home schooling is shelter kids from the real world. When they finally go to high school/college they won't be as socialized as kids that went to public school.
By Ramyrez 2015-06-19 10:16:55  
fonewear said: »
All the more reason to not have kids.

Amen.

But these little plumpers need to see to our affairs when we retire, so let's try to keep them alive longer than us maybe.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-06-19 10:16:58  

Seems like some would bite their nose off just to spite their face lol...

You want to make sure my kid eats healthy at school????? I'll make damn sure you don't succeed just cuz you told me!

Kids are told what to do on a daily basis. That they have to go to school, clean their rooms, do their homework, if they can or can't go out and what will be for dinner that night.

I don't get what the big deal is.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-19 10:19:47  
The big deal is if kids get told what to do the terrorists win !
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 678 679 680 ... 1375 1376 1377