Random Politics & Religion #00

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 237 238 239 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
サーバ: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-02-06 12:32:28  
Haters gonna hate, Hillary didn't look that bad in her youth. Bill on the other hand.... whats going with that hair bro.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-02-06 12:34:39  
If you are into hippie lawyers that is.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-02-06 12:41:04  
Asura.Kingnobody said: »

He's into "hippy" lawyers. Know what I mean? Eh? "Know what I mean," he asked him knowingly.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-02-06 12:47:24  

She can take my bar any time.

WAKA WAKA
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-02-06 12:49:50  
Ramyrez said: »

He's into "hippy" lawyers. Know what I mean? Eh? "Know what I mean," he asked him knowingly.
Question remains: Was Hillary an intern while they were dating?
 Bahamut.Milamber
サーバ: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-02-06 12:52:11  
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/01/got-outrageous-public-records-story-send-your-nominations-foilies
Quote:
Got an Outrageous Public Records Story? Send Your Nominations for “The Foilies”

Fighting for government records is sometimes like:

… a game of Battleship, but where you have to go to court to force your opponent to tell you whether you even grazed his aircraft carrier.

… finding yourself at the doors of the Forty Thieves’ cave, except that you have to rap out “Open Sesame” in Morse code with your forehead just to get a peek at the treasure.

… ordering a book from an online store then having to wait 10-30 days just to hear back that the store can neither confirm nor deny whether your item is in stock.

… running the hurdles at the Olympics, but with Droid Kafka and his bureaucrobot army laying down new stretches of barricades every time you think you’re about to cross the finish line.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-02-06 12:57:56  
Bahamut.Milamber said: »
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/01/got-outrageous-public-records-story-send-your-nominations-foilies
Quote:
Got an Outrageous Public Records Story? Send Your Nominations for “The Foilies”

Fighting for government records is sometimes like:

… a game of Battleship, but where you have to go to court to force your opponent to tell you whether you even grazed his aircraft carrier.

… finding yourself at the doors of the Forty Thieves’ cave, except that you have to rap out “Open Sesame” in Morse code with your forehead just to get a peek at the treasure.

… ordering a book from an online store then having to wait 10-30 days just to hear back that the store can neither confirm nor deny whether your item is in stock.

… running the hurdles at the Olympics, but with Droid Kafka and his bureaucrobot army laying down new stretches of barricades every time you think you’re about to cross the finish line.
I don't know about you, but I never had any issues with public records in Texas. I have to deal with it all of the time too.

One phone call to the Texas Comptroller's office or the county's courthouse and I pretty much have your life story that the state is legally bound to give. Mind you, I wouldn't get any of the good stuff (SSN, income, etc.) but I can find out where you were born, when, which hospital, who the doctor was, if your parents ever paid the bill to the hospital, and so on. I can even get information on if you are registered with the state and if you have the right to transact businesses in Texas, among other things. All you really need is a name and where the person lives.
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-02-06 13:25:12  
I don't know about you, but I never had any issues with public records in Texas. I have to deal with it all of the time too.

One phone call to the Texas Comptroller's office or the county's courthouse and I pretty much have your life story that the state is legally bound to give. Mind you, I wouldn't get any of the good stuff (SSN, income, etc.) but I can find out where you were born, when, which hospital, who the doctor was, if your parents ever paid the bill to the hospital, and so on. I can even get information on if you are registered with the state and if you have the right to transact businesses in Texas, among other things. All you really need is a name and where the person lives.
Have you been asking for lawsuit documents, police documents, or FOIA requests?
Quote:
You should feel free to name your own Foilies categories. For example, if the Department of Defense claimed a national security exemption in response to your FOIA request for lunch menus, you might suggest a category for “America’s Most Dangerous Cafeteria.” But we also have several categories already in mind, such as:

Absurdly Over-Redacted Documents

Egregious Copying Fees

Extraordinarily Long Wait for Records

Silly Legal Arguments in Public Records Lawsuits

Wrongest-Headed Anti-transparency Legislation

Gratuitous Glomars
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-02-06 13:27:26  
Bahamut.Kara said: »

Have you been asking for lawsuit documents, police documents, or FOIA requests?
Quote:
You should feel free to name your own Foilies categories. For example, if the Department of Defense claimed a national security exemption in response to your FOIA request for lunch menus, you might suggest a category for “America’s Most Dangerous Cafeteria.” But we also have several categories already in mind, such as:

Absurdly Over-Redacted Documents

Egregious Copying Fees

Extraordinarily Long Wait for Records

Silly Legal Arguments in Public Records Lawsuits

Wrongest-Headed Anti-transparency Legislation

Gratuitous Glomars
Lawsuit documents, yes, although not very often thankfully. Got to know what to report on returns, especially when it involves the Texas SOS or Tax Court.

Probably once, twice a year. Longest I waited was by the end of the workday.

It helps out a lot if you talk to the clerk respectfully and answer with "sir" or "ma'am" often.
 Siren.Lordgrim
サーバ: Siren
user: Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2015-02-06 13:29:42  
Quote:
Egregious Copying Fees

In the state of CT if you want a copy of the past 4 years of your drivers record, you can't get any further then that for some reason in CT it is 25 dollars for 1 piece of printed paper.

In Ct they also believe in a thing called property tax on vehicles, so if you was to buy a brand new or used car and pay it off, you still got to pay twice a year " for the privilege to drive it even if you own it". Its not like that for every state, some have different laws regarding that on community lvls. I asked where does the the money go to? I was told to fix roads, i then asked why does CT have one of the highest taxes on gas? i agreed THAT was to fix roads. I then asked why do a lot of CT roads have so much damage since it seems our tax dollars seem to not fix them fast enough when we pay to never see results to put state workers to work on that task. I was never given a answer.

a prime example of taxation without proper representation.

rp&r page 213 Let Freedom Reign
rp&r page 216 The Law That Never Was the 16th amendment.
rp&r page 223 The Constitutional Republic known as the USA.
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-02-06 13:30:53  
It helps out a lot if you talk to the clerk respectfully and answer with "sir" or "ma'am" often.
Particularly if you match the genuflectory word with the correct gender. Not so much if you don't.

And damnit Chrome, genuflectory is a word. Go look it up.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-02-06 13:31:35  
Siren.Lordgrim said: »
Quote:
Egregious Copying Fees

In the state of CT if you want a copy of the past 4 years of your drivers record, you can't get any further then that for some reason in CT it is 25 dollars for 1 piece of printed paper.
A) What in the hell does the legal fee have anything to do with getting more than 4 years of driver's licenses?

B) Add "Statue of Limitations" on the growing list of things Lordgrim doesn't know.
By Jetackuu 2015-02-06 13:32:34  
Heh, one benefit if I ever need to get documents from my local courthouse: I know one of the clerks.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-02-06 13:32:39  
Particularly if you match the genuflectory word with the correct gender. Not so much if you don't.

And damnit Chrome, genuflectory is a word. Go look it up.
You can add words to the dictionary for spell-checker. I have to do it all of the time.

Most of the time you can tell on the phone, but if you have a question, just ask the agent to repeat their name by saying "I'm sorry, I missed your name, it's Mr./Mrs.?" That way, I know which gender I'm talking to.
By Ramyrez 2015-02-06 13:32:54  
You people think that's annoying.

Try dealing with medical records.

"Well, yes, your release is technically HIPAA-compliant but we require you go above and beyond this so kiss off."

*arrg*

Medical record clerks are born bitchy. I swear.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-02-06 13:34:45  

"Well, yes, your release is technically HIPAA-compliant but we require you go above and beyond this so kiss off."

*arrg*

Medical records aren't public though, so there's part of the bitchiness right there.

You just made that clerk do some work!
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-02-06 13:37:56  
Lawsuit documents, yes, although not very often thankfully. Got to know what to report on returns, especially when it involves the Texas SOS or Tax Court.

Yeah, it also depends on what case you are asking about and how annoyed officials are. There have been a lot of problems with not fulfilling requests or charging absurd fees in the last few years.

One example
Quote:
Officials in Ferguson, Missouri, are charging nearly 10 times the cost of some of their own employees' salaries before they will agree to turn over files under public records laws about the fatal shooting of 18-year-old Michael Brown. The city has demanded high fees to produce copies of records that, under Missouri law, it could give away free if it determined the material was in the public's interest to see. Instead, in some cases, the city has demanded high fees with little explanation or cost breakdown.

In one case, it billed The Associated Press $135 an hour — for nearly a day's work — merely to retrieve a handful of email accounts since the shooting. That fee compares with an entry-level, hourly salary of $13.90 in the city clerk's office, and it didn't include costs to review the emails or release them.

The Washington Post was told it would need to pay $200 at minimum for its requests, including city officials' emails since Aug. 9 discussing Brown's shooting, citizen complaints against Ferguson officers and Wilson's personnel file. The website Buzzfeed requested in part emails and memos among city officials about Ferguson's traffic-citation policies and changes to local elections, but was told it would cost unspecified thousands of dollars to fulfill.

Inquiries about Ferguson's public records requests were referred to the city's attorney, Stephanie Karr, who declined to respond to repeated interview requests from the AP since earlier this month. Through a spokesman late Monday, Karr said Missouri law can require fees but she didn't address why charges specific to the AP's request were nearly tenfold the lowest salary in the city clerk's office. Karr said searching emails for key words constitutes "extra computer programming" that can bring added costs.

article
By Jetackuu 2015-02-06 13:38:47  

*arrg*

I can attest to this, try working with them.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-02-06 13:43:06  

Yeah, it also depends on what case you are asking about and how annoyed officials are. There have been a lot of problems with not fulfilling requests or charging absurd fees in the last few years.

One example
Quote:
Officials in Ferguson, Missouri, are charging nearly 10 times the cost of some of their own employees' salaries before they will agree to turn over files under public records laws about the fatal shooting of 18-year-old Michael Brown. The city has demanded high fees to produce copies of records that, under Missouri law, it could give away free if it determined the material was in the public's interest to see. Instead, in some cases, the city has demanded high fees with little explanation or cost breakdown.

In one case, it billed The Associated Press $135 an hour — for nearly a day's work — merely to retrieve a handful of email accounts since the shooting. That fee compares with an entry-level, hourly salary of $13.90 in the city clerk's office, and it didn't include costs to review the emails or release them.

The Washington Post was told it would need to pay $200 at minimum for its requests, including city officials' emails since Aug. 9 discussing Brown's shooting, citizen complaints against Ferguson officers and Wilson's personnel file. The website Buzzfeed requested in part emails and memos among city officials about Ferguson's traffic-citation policies and changes to local elections, but was told it would cost unspecified thousands of dollars to fulfill.

Inquiries about Ferguson's public records requests were referred to the city's attorney, Stephanie Karr, who declined to respond to repeated interview requests from the AP since earlier this month. Through a spokesman late Monday, Karr said Missouri law can require fees but she didn't address why charges specific to the AP's request were nearly tenfold the lowest salary in the city clerk's office. Karr said searching emails for key words constitutes "extra computer programming" that can bring added costs.

article
I can only go by the agency I deal with. Luckily I have yet to deal with any out-of-state record requests, although getting property tax information in certain states (I'm looking at you Illinois!) is like pulling teeth!

Every county in Texas has an online registry for appraisal and property tax values. If you knew my name, you can look up the Bexar County Tax office and find out the value of my home and how much property taxes I paid last year. That's one of the joys of living in Texas, and nobody gives a ***how much their neighbors' house is appraised at (it's never right).
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-02-06 13:49:01  

Every county in Texas has an online registry for appraisal and property tax values. If you knew my name, you can look up the Bexar County Tax office and find out the value of my home and how much property taxes I paid last year. That's one of the joys of living in Texas, and nobody gives a ***how much their neighbors' house is appraised at (it's never right).

Not sure about online but FL you could access that information, as well. It's considered public information, iirc.

Boliga.dk (requires understanding danish or using dictionary) you can see every property purchased in Denmark, many previous sales (going back a few decades, but some of the properties are a few hundred years old), property value compared to property in same area, etc. This is not a state run website, those you can get more precise information from.
By Ramyrez 2015-02-06 13:50:30  
Jetackuu said: »

They go out of their way to not know things, I swear.

*calls to get something refaxed beacuse pages were missing*

"Yes, I was wondering if you could please refax these records, they didn't come through completely."

"We never got your request."

"You already sent them to me..."

"I've got no record of receiving that request."

"YOUR NAME IS ON THE COVER SHEET OF THE PARTIAL TRANSMISSION."

"Oh. That. Okay, I'll do what I can."

*headdesk*
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-02-06 13:52:15  
Jetackuu said: »

They go out of their way to not know things, I swear.

*calls to get something refaxed beacuse pages were missing*

"Yes, I was wondering if you could please refax these records, they didn't come through completely."

"We never got your request."

"You already sent them to me..."

"I've got no record of receiving that request."

"YOUR NAME IS ON THE COVER SHEET OF THE PARTIAL TRANSMISSION."

"Oh. That. Okay, I'll do what I can."

*headdesk*
Welcome to the 1980-90s?
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-02-06 13:53:45  

Not sure about online but FL you could access that information, as well. It's considered pulic information, iirc.

Boliga.dk (requires understanding danish or using dictionary) you can see every property purchased in Denmark, many previous sales, property value compared to property in same area, etc. This is not a state run website, those you can get more precise information from.
I wish there was a record of all of the HUD statements issued across the country. I don't think those are public records.

I hate having to call my clients to ask for HUD statements only to find out that they either "never received one" (which is bull) or "don't know what I'm talking about."

Lucky for me those excuses only happen during tax season....well ***.
By Ramyrez 2015-02-06 13:54:40  
Welcome to the 1980-90s?

The medical field's numerous advancements in terms of treatment rarely reflects in the office technology.

There are health systems out there that use electronic record systems, but they have their own host of hoops through which you need to jump that are equally irritating, just in different ways.

But many individual doctors' offices demand faxes or -- worse still -- won't take ANYTHING electronically and demand a mailed request with a wet-signed signature. Electronic authorizations are no good to them! Because electronic could be fake, but a wet signature they didn't see signed couldn't possibly be fake!

HIPAA, while good for some things, can make working with medical records very, very irritating. And as stated, some places are so deathly afraid of HIPAA violations that they go so far above and beyond the requirements it's painful.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-02-06 13:56:13  
Obama unveils new foreign policy of "Strategic Patience".

One generally calls for patience AFTER a plan of action has been implemented. Having patience before you do anything isn't really patience, it's procrastination.

What a joke.
By Jetackuu 2015-02-06 13:59:04  
Welcome to the 1980-90s?

The medical field's numerous advancements in terms of treatment rarely reflects in the office technology.

There are health systems out there that use electronic record systems, but they have their own host of hoops through which you need to jump that are equally irritating, just in different ways.

But many individual doctors' offices demand faxes or -- worse still -- won't take ANYTHING electronically and demand a mailed request with a wet-signed signature. Electronic authorizations are no good to them! Because electronic could be fake, but a wet signature they didn't see signed couldn't possibly be fake!

HIPAA, while good for some things, can make working with medical records very, very irritating. And as stated, some places are so deathly afraid of HIPAA violations that they go so far above and beyond the requirements it's painful.

I'm so glad the local hospital is almost fully EMR compliant, and the reason I say almost is because some of the partnered practices hadn't converted yet, I believe they may be now, which is cool.

Yes there are issues with digital copies, but the risk of that in comparison to the benefit of EMR is worth it in most opinions.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-02-06 13:59:36  
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »

One generally calls for patience AFTER a plan of action has been implemented. Having patience before you do anything isn't really patience, it's procrastination.

What a joke.
Thank you for summarizing your analysis.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-02-06 14:01:14  
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »

What a joke.
Are you being serious?
[+]
By Bloodrose 2015-02-06 14:01:43  
No, Nausi's being SUPER CEREAL!
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-02-06 14:03:28  
Welcome to the 1980-90s?

Make an appointment online or over the phone (usually online).
Go into the doctor's office. Swipe my card. Sit in the waiting room, usually for about 15minutes (I usually plan to arrive at least 10 minutes early for transit). Doctor calls my name, go in, talk, get examined, blood taken and tests run (if checking for bacterial infection)/referred to specialist if further investigation/clarification is needed, and have a short discussion about danish medical terms and how my danish is doing. Usually exiting at about 20 minutes after seeing the doctor. If I need a prescription, I go to the drugstore, swipe my card, get a number, get called up, get a short introduction to the medicine if I need it from, pay, and leave.

I can honestly say that I've never experienced the like with regards to level of care and efficiency in the US.

I'd usually spend the total amount of time I use for the above just filling out paperwork, then waiting in the waiting room just to see the doctor.
First Page 2 3 ... 237 238 239 ... 1375 1376 1377