Random Politics & Religion #00

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 202 203 204 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-21 12:41:14  
Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
The *** for lordgrimm continues! He might be more sought after than Pleebo now...
Well, why don't you make outlandish unsubstantiated claims that can be easily disproved and people will start making fun of you too.

All you really have to do is post more.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-21 12:41:59  
Shiva.Viciousss said: »
I'm sure this is inviting disaster but I am curious what he thinks happened to the US gold treasury in 1934. Maybe he thinks Goldfinger was real and he succeeded in nuking Fort Knox, but I didn't think that was set in 1934.
I'm sure there's a youtube video that says that Fort Knox never existed.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
サーバ: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-01-21 12:45:28  
Well... Greenbacks (gold reserve act of 1933), but that doesn't mean the US doesn't own gold, just that it isn't the sole valuation of our currency. It actually started much earlier than that, we had silverbacks in the 1870's.

Jassik's random trivia of the day...
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-21 12:50:32  
That's reading a little deep into a children's story.

I'm not ignoring the interpretations, they look reasonable and accurate.

But I think there comes a time in one's life where it's better to enjoy the fiction than to analyse the hidden meaning. I mean, I know there were several hidden meanings behind Star Wars Episode III, but to be honest, I don't really care as it's purpose is to entertain, not to be politically insightful...
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-01-21 13:00:03  
Baum was a journalist before he was a children's novel writer. He even ran a newspaper. I think it's naive to discount the original Oz novels as just a children's story, considering Baum himself was outspoken about the socioeconomic situation of the time.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-21 13:01:49  
Why are you on the defensive? I basically agreed with you and you are calling me naive......for agreeing with you......
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-01-21 13:04:59  
Asura.Kingnobody said: »

Yeah, sure looks like you agreed with me.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-21 13:07:09  
Odin.Jassik said: »

Yeah, sure looks like you agreed with me.
I'm sorry, did that sound like I was outright disagreeing with you? I mean, by the looks of it, that was an opinion.

I'm sure that you stopped reading beyond that sentence, because you basically ignored the rest of the post...
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-01-21 13:09:00  
because the rest of your post is so agreeable...
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-21 13:21:51  
My post neither attacked your viewpoint nor attempted to counter the source. I stated a personal opinion on reading between the lines too much in a fictional story, which neither attacked you, your viewpoint, nor the author's interpretations of the political meaning of The Wizard of Oz.

You are the one being defensive because I stated a personal opinion.
 Shiva.Onorgul
サーバ: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-01-21 13:22:25  
I do think you're getting a little unnecessarily defensive, Jassik. That said...

But I think there comes a time in one's life where it's better to enjoy the fiction than to analyse the hidden meaning.
You have that reversed. There comes a time in one's life when one leaves the folly of youth behind and knuckles under to understand what an author is saying. It may be that you're not interested in Baum's political views, but they are well-known and they're rather overt in his Oz books if you ever read them.

All story-telling exists for a more complex purpose than conveying a series of events. When you tell an anecdote from your life, do you mention how many steps you took or how long you spent washing your hands after using the bathroom? That kind of editorial prerogative is informed by knowing that you have a point to make. Even Michael Bay has more point to make than "Explosions are cool." You're not called upon to agree with it, though.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-21 13:32:40  
Shiva.Onorgul said: »
I do think you're getting a little unnecessarily defensive, Jassik. That said...

But I think there comes a time in one's life where it's better to enjoy the fiction than to analyse the hidden meaning.
You have that reversed. There comes a time in one's life when one leaves the folly of youth behind and knuckles under to understand what an author is saying. It may be that you're not interested in Baum's political views, but they are well-known and they're rather overt in his Oz books if you ever read them.

All story-telling exists for a more complex purpose than conveying a series of events. When you tell an anecdote from your life, do you mention how many steps you took or how long you spent washing your hands after using the bathroom? That kind of editorial prerogative is informed by knowing that you have a point to make. Even Michael Bay has more point to make than "Explosions are cool." You're not called upon to agree with it, though.
If you analyze everything ever made, you will find yourself to be a very bitter man.

I will never deny that political statements do not exist in fictional stories. I'm just saying that over-analysis of said fictional stories destroy the purpose of the stories to begin with, which is to entertain.

Stories are stories. If you treat them as such, then you will find the entertainment value to be much greater than if you believe that every story has some underlying message that you must understand...
 Bahamut.Milamber
サーバ: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-01-21 13:35:58  
Yes, and no. Stories don't have to have a moral, or a deeper underlying meaning, Or at least the one that the author intended.
Sometimes a story is just a story.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-21 13:39:21  
Bahamut.Milamber said: »
Yes, and no. Stories don't have to have a moral, or a deeper underlying meaning, Or at least the one that the author intended.
Sometimes a story is just a story.
I'm glad somebody gets what I'm saying.
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-01-21 13:40:39  
Did I say moral or hidden meaning? I said "point."

Simple examples: Baum was a well-known advocate of women's suffrage, go figure that he wrote with active female protagonists. Similarly, though he was a Christian, he felt people should make an informed and adult decision about religion and stoutly refused to include it in his work. The latter actually is hidden since it deals with something deliberately excluded from the text itself.

Is the Yellow Brick Road a metaphor for the gold standard? Sure. Did Baum intend that? That's virtually impossible to verify. Choosing never to analyze is choosing never to think. There's no point to fiction or non-fiction if you're not going to think.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-01-21 13:41:29  
Cracked: 6 Books Everyone (Including Your English Teacher) Got Wrong

Humor site
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-01-21 13:43:32  
Was wondering when we'd beat that dead horse.

:D
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-01-21 13:50:00  
If you analyze everything ever made, you will find yourself to be a very bitter man.
Also, I enjoy analysis, both for its own sake and for what it yields. I have noticed that most Americans start completely losing their ***every time I ask "Why?" It's not even a complex question like, "Why do you not want to punch Justin Bieber in the face?" It's usually a question like, "So why are you studying communications?"

It's always communications, incidentally. Those morons can't even explain what their field is, much less why they're in it. Used to be we shipped the shiftless idiots off to the philosophy department, but we've carved out a new sub-basement with "communications" and "business management" and all these other meaningless things.

Rant rant rant.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2015-01-21 13:50:48  
Well... Greenbacks (gold reserve act of 1933), but that doesn't mean the US doesn't own gold, just that it isn't the sole valuation of our currency. It actually started much earlier than that, we had silverbacks in the 1870's.

Jassik's random trivia of the day...

William Jennings Bryan is not amused!!!!
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-01-21 22:00:30  
Breaking News: GOP kills abortion bill

Hot off the press, the House has killed the vote on an abortion bill on the eve of the Roe vs Wade ruling.

CNN

Fox News

Quote:
Rep. Trent Franks (R-Ariz.), the bill’s lead sponsor, had predicted Wednesday that his proposal would easily pass because it "has overwhelming support among the American people."

Whoops. So much for that delusion.
By Jetackuu 2015-01-21 22:05:38  
Vic's said:
The House will vote instead Thursday on a bill prohibiting federal funding for abortions -- a more innocuous anti-abortion measure that the Republican-controlled chamber has passed before.

They somehow forget about the Hyde amendment?
By Bloodrose 2015-01-21 22:34:50  
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Jetackuu said: »
I like the charm of NPH
I mean come on, who doesn't?

It's a common misconception that women want to be treated like crap. So common, in fact, that even women seem to believe it.
This explains the fad behind Fifty Shades of Grey.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-01-21 22:35:58  
Shiva.Onorgul said: »
I do think you're getting a little unnecessarily defensive, Jassik.

I posted a link to a wikipedia article about the allegory of the Oz series as a segue from bashing a user. KingContrary just has to argue with everything everyone says. The article isn't my interpretation or opinion, it's just food-for-thought piece to change the subject.
[+]
By Bloodrose 2015-01-21 22:41:06  
If you want hidden analysis, one of the greatest films for that happens to be Edward Scissorhands, because you can see detail in it that wasn't apparent in the book.

So many characters, and references come to life in that movie.
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-01-21 22:42:03  
Jetackuu said: »
Vic's said:
The House will vote instead Thursday on a bill prohibiting federal funding for abortions -- a more innocuous anti-abortion measure that the Republican-controlled chamber has passed before.

They somehow forget about the Hyde amendment?
Either it's a duplicate to show they are "doing something" or it's a bill to strip planned parenthood and other contraceptive providers.

Or maybe they are trying to modify it, again.
 Shiva.Viciousss
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-01-21 22:48:37  
Its a duplicate from last year to save face from the embarrassment of not being able to pass new legislation despite "overwhelming support from the American people." Nice to see the dysfunction in Capitol Hill remains as strong as ever.
By Blazed1979 2015-01-23 02:19:46  
This is pretty nuts... I don't understand anything about climate change and global warming, its never interested me seeing as I live in a small desert nation... but then... this happened on my way to work last week

(For the people don't know the significance, this is the middle east... in the middle of the desert!!
YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
By Altimaomega 2015-01-23 03:01:25  
The definition of a desert is how little precipitation the area gets. It has no bearing on if it rains or snows. Just sayin..
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-01-23 03:03:09  
Altimaomega said: »
The definition of a desert is how little precipitation the area gets. It has no bearing on if it rains or snows. Just sayin..

Uh... I think it's just poor wording, but it has everything to do with whether it rains or snows. (rather, whether it doesn't rain or snow)
 Phoenix.Xantavia
サーバ: Phoenix
user: xantavia
By Phoenix.Xantavia 2015-01-23 03:50:38  
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
stale and regurgitated talking points that have been proven inaccurate.

So, just like pretty much everything that comes out of Obama's teleprompter.
Why has this been a thing from what seems like the very first day of Obama's presidency? Do people think no other president in history ever used a teleprompter, or is there more to it which I've never heard about.
First Page 2 3 ... 202 203 204 ... 1375 1376 1377