Random Politics & Religion #00

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 197 198 199 ... 1375 1376 1377

Undelete | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Nikolce
サーバ: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-01-15 11:50:53  
Bloodrose said: »
I think your friend was taken in by the Doomsday Boogeyman.

First, I guess, you would have to be conceited enough to think that we as a species somehow matter and then also that the earth, as living planet, somehow matters and that "life" is somehow dependent on ours and/or our planet's existence.

I think that in the grand cosmic scheme of all of the things... the best that we can hope for is an accidental contamination event that brings life in the form of a virus or bacteria to an otherwise barren world (which will probably be mars if we haven't done that already)

and one would hope that at such time whoever is in charge of such things would pull the trigger on the device that would eradicate our solar system before the contamination reached the rest of the galaxy

I sometimes look at ants digging intricate tunnels and wonder if there is a Michael Antgelo the other ants revere for his tunnel making artistry... that we will never know about because we accidentally stepped on the ant that was putting them on the path to self experssion...

and in the same respect what little is left of the pyramids when we are gone perhaps might pique the curiosity of some other species that happens by on the way to someplace more interesting...

huh... I wonder what that's all about down there and they will google it and be like oh yeah the chimpeons I remember them from history class... didn't we blow them up or something...and steal all their cadmium...

/shrug
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-15 11:53:40  
Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
A friend of mine today explained how humanity is *** and we'll never be able to repair the earth; and when fossil fuels run out it'll be the end of our way of life completely.

I said no, the minute fossil fuels are gone (and likely decades before) all that money and energy will be focused on finding the next exploitable fuel source we can renew or come up with to make it lucridly profitable. Humanity will adapt and nothing will really change behaviour wise on a large scale; On that precipice we'll come up with amazing things to replace necessity.

Do you guys agree with him?
Heck, I highly doubt we will deplete our entire fossil fuel resource.

With technology advancing more towards "greener" energy (solar, wind, water), we will be off of fossil fuels well before we spend our entire worldwide reserve.

Part of the price of gas dropping can be indirectly attributed towards the advancement of this technology. Indirectly, mind you.
Oil and gas companies pretty much run the works, and you think they're going to just stop before full depletion?

That is a very impressive optimism and faith in the future replacement's profitability señor
That's not what I meant.

I meant that our technology will advance the production of greener technology while slowing the demand for oil/gas production, which will keep reserves from depleting fully.

Your friend believes that we will deplete before technology will curb/eliminate demand. I say the opposite is true.
[+]
By Bloodrose 2015-01-15 11:57:19  
The current technology is already beginning to curb and slowly eliminate demands, and it hasn't even been that long since the base tech was made widely available and affordable among the masses in comparison to the use of oil
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-01-15 11:57:38  
If we got close to depleting the reserves, the oil companies would know about it far in advance and would already be working on developing alternative ways to make money and stay in business. We wouldn't just run into a brick wall of no more oil. There would be a gradual decline.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2015-01-15 12:00:49  
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
would already be working on developing alternative ways to make money and stay in business.

I think several of them are heavily invested in alternative energy research, and they like to publicize it as saying, "See!? We want green energy too!!"

When in truth...they just want to control the next big energy, too. But still. It's something.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-15 12:22:52  
I know what you meant. I just don't think something that profitable would ever stop; creating a use and demand for energy like that will be easy. Even if most of the world stops using crude oil completely.
Short-term goals maybe. Long-term survivable goals however would require the companies to change from an oil-producer to alternative energy producer (and gamble on the alternative energy to focus on, as solar, wind, water, and so forth have equal possibilities as of today).

Just like some companies now are really getting into refurbishing old equipment instead of buying new digital age stuff and having to retrain all their staff on all the new systems for example. Avoiding change and real investment to an unrealistic unsustainable degree.
Again, maybe short-term. Refurnishing older equipment adds to the life of the equipment, and is usually cheaper than buying state-of-the-art equipment, while maintaining the standards that type of equipment is expected to preform.

For example: A 10 key calculator is supposed to add/subtract/multiply/divide/etc. You can either take an older electronic 10 key and repair it so it works again, or buy the newest version that also plays music too. If you only need the calculator to do what a calculator is designed to do, it would be cheaper just to repair it than to buy the new model that does additional things you don't need it to do.

Post deleted by User.
By Bloodrose 2015-01-15 12:26:49  
*insert Alanis Morisette meme here*
 Ragnarok.Nausi
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-01-15 12:56:28  
Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »
Police and CPS investigate Maryland couple for not being helicopter parents

Quote:
Danielle and Alexander Meitiv say they are being investigated for neglect for the Dec. 20 trek — in a case they say reflects a clash of ideas about how safe the world is and whether parents are free to make their own choices about raising their children.

“We wouldn’t have let them do it if we didn’t think they were ready for it,” Danielle said.

She said her son and daughter have previously paired up for walks around the block, to a nearby 7-Eleven and to a library about three-quarters of a mile away. “They have proven they are responsible,” she said. “They’ve developed these skills.”

The Meitivs say they believe in “free-range” parenting, a movement that has been a counterpoint to the hyper-vigilance of “helicopter” parenting, with the idea that children learn self-reliance by being allowed to progressively test limits, make choices and venture out in the world.

“The world is actually even safer than when I was a child, and I just want to give them the same freedom and independence that I had — basically an old-fashioned childhood,” she said. “I think it’s absolutely critical for their development — to learn responsibility, to experience the world, to gain confidence and competency.”

I don't know about the rest of you, but I spent my entire childhood from about 6 years old+ walking home at least half a mile from school, depending where I lived (I moved several times), along with about 30 other kids, at minimum, who lived "too close" for the bus systems.

We were taught not to speak to strangers, to never get in a vehicle with a stranger or take gifts or food from them. Etc.

Yet -- somehow -- CPS has a hard time managing to investigate and remove children from actual dangerous, neglectful, abusive situations.

Child services has serious issues in this country where if you aren't being an overbearing parent turning your child into a codependant headcase, you're somehow engaging in neglect.

More examples of absolutely oppressive government overreach. You're in part to blame ramyrez, you keep electing these people into office.

No you can't decide your own cancer treatment course, no you can't treat a disease we don't recognize, no you can't allow kids to achieve any level of independence. Just follow the state, they know what's best you know.
By Bloodrose 2015-01-15 12:58:25  
I believe, if memory serves, Ramyrez doesn't vote, and if he does, it's libertarian.

These are, unfortunately, the kind of people that people like nausi elects into office, that have a habit of going so far against the wishes of their constituents, that they fail to realize what the *** just happened.

Go eat a potato and call it a day, Nausi.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2015-01-15 13:00:57  
I do vote. Or at least, I have. In the past however it's been not so much because I support one person as much as I want to do my part to keep someone worse out of office.

But 2016 is looking mighty unappealing across the board.

I might stay home with a bag of spuds.

That said, as I'm not a resident of the states in question here, my vote in that regard means little to nothing.

CYS and the government, incidentally, are only partly to blame. They don't have the "right" to crack down harder on real terrible parents, and they're stuck chasing their tails responding to every half-*** call like this. Honestly, I don't think in Pennsylvania CYS would have gone this route, in my experience.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-01-15 13:05:29  
A friend of mine today explained how humanity is *** and we'll never be able to repair the earth; and when fossil fuels run out it'll be the end of our way of life completely.

I said no, the minute fossil fuels are gone (and likely decades before) all that money and energy will be focused on finding the next exploitable fuel source we can renew or come up with to make it lucridly profitable. Humanity will adapt and nothing will really change behaviour wise on a large scale; On that precipice we'll come up with amazing things to replace necessity.

Humanity will not be doomed in that way. "Free" markets work. There is no better solution to any problem we face than to set 8-9 billion individual minds to work on solving it.

We will be doomed (and always have been doomed) when tyrants gain enough power to be capable of squeezing off freedom through stifling economic poverty, and the hyper ethnic nationalism that so often emerges as a solution..

Or... a meteor, that will probably doom us too.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-15 13:05:55  
Ramyrez is not in fault for what happens in Maryland.

He is only responsible for the idiots elected in Pennsylvania.

Like how I am only responsible for the idiots elected in Texas.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-01-15 13:09:20  

Was said in the greater sense.

Vote for people who want more government control, and you'll get it.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-01-15 13:11:18  
Saudi's are building a boarder wall to keep out isis.

Man, they should talk to the people on this thread. They apparently don't know that border walls don't work.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2015-01-15 13:13:10  

I refuse to take responsibility for the majority of Pennsylvanian voters. My candidates largely haven't won any of the past elections, and while I did vote for Wolf, I'm still not sold on him...but potato would have been better than another term of Corbett.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-01-15 13:20:41  
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Was said in the greater sense.
Vote for people who want more government control, and you'll get it.

where you going for a Joseph de Maistre "Every nation gets the government it deserves" sentiment or a Alexis de Tocqueville "democracy in america" kind of dealie
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-01-15 14:34:27  
that's ok... take all of the time you need...

<jeopardy music>
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-01-15 14:46:38  
YouTube Video Placeholder
 Bahamut.Milamber
サーバ: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-01-16 04:59:34  

Heck, I highly doubt we will deplete our entire fossil fuel resource.

With technology advancing more towards "greener" energy (solar, wind, water), we will be off of fossil fuels well before we spend our entire worldwide reserve.

Part of the price of gas dropping can be indirectly attributed towards the advancement of this technology. Indirectly, mind you.
Oil and gas companies pretty much run the works, and you think they're going to just stop before full depletion?
When their projections show something else being more profitable than oil/gas for the investment, they will drop it like a hot potato.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-01-16 13:28:54  
Surely Sec of State Kerry didn't really take James Taylor to France so that he could sing to them "You've got a Friend" in order to make up for not showing up last week?

Is this real life?
By Blazed1979 2015-01-18 13:30:31  
Quote:
The veteran CNN anchor Jim Clancy has left the network after a series of Twitter messages he wrote about the terrorist attack on the French satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo that left 12 people dead.

In the tweets, which were sent on the day of the attack, Mr. Clancy wrote about the cartoons the paper had published depicting the Prophet Muhammad, but he then began criticizing supporters of Israel and sparring with other Twitter users. Mr. Clancy’s Twitter account has since been deleted, but the tweets were published on several websites, including Gawker, Twitchy and Mediaite.

CNN confirmed on Saturday that Mr. Clancy had left the network but declined to comment on whether his departure was related to the Twitter messages. Mr. Clancy declined to comment.

On Jan. 7, Mr. Clancy posted a message about cartoons Charlie Hebdo published before the massacre at its Paris office. “The cartoons NEVER mocked the Prophet,” he said. “They mocked how the COWARDS tried to distort his word.” The message was retweeted more than 600 times.

Some called Mr. Clancy’s statement untrue. One was Oren Kessler, a research director at the Foundation for Defense of Democracies, which studies international terrorism. He responded with a tweet that said, “The magazine was targeted in the past over an issue in which Muhammad was listed as guest editor.”

Mr. Clancy then posted a series of tweets including one that said, “These accounts are part of a campaign to do PR for #Israel @JewsMakingNews @elderofziyon Nothing illegal - but PR not HR: Human Rights.”

Mr. Clancy, who anchored the global news show “The Brief,” had worked at CNN for more than 30 years, covering the fall of the Berlin Wall, the Rwandan genocide and the Iraq wars, according to a biography that has since has been deleted from CNN’s website.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/18/business/media/cnn-anchor-jim-clancy-leaves-after-tweets.html?_r=0

Quote:
CNN's Jim Clancy resigns after anti-Israel tweets
Anchor leaves Cable News Network after 34 years following controversial Twitter debate with pro-Israel activists over terror attack on Charlie Hebdo.
Ynet
Published: 01.17.15, 17:47 / Israel News
Veteran CNN anchor Jim Clancy issued a statement Friday saying he is leaving the network, where he has worked for 34 years, one week after he was involved in a controversial debate on Twitter with pro-Israeli activists over the attack on satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo in Paris.

Follow Ynetnews on Facebook and Twitter

On January 7, Clancy posted a tweet claiming that the caricature of Muhammad published by the French magazine did not mock the Muslim prophet. "They mocked how the COWARDS tried to distort his word. Pay attention,” he wrote.

CNN's Jim Clancy resigns after harsh statements made against Israelis on Twitter.
CNN's Jim Clancy resigns after harsh statements made against Israelis on Twitter.

The tweet led to a number of responses from his followers. "Absolutely untrue. The magazine was targeted in the past over an issue in which Muhammad was listed as guest editor," Oren Kessler, a deputy director of research at the Foundation for Defense of Democracies wrote, challenging Clancy's interpretation.

The CNN reporter then tweeted “Hasbara?,” in response, implying that Kessler was engaging in public diplomacy on Israel's behalf.

Clancy's tweets.
Clancy's tweets.

“These accounts are part of a campaign to do PR for Israel," Clancy wrote, adding that a “pro-Israel voice" was attempting to "convince us that cartoonists were really anti-Muslim and that’s why they were attacked. FALSE.”

After the online debate, Clancy deleted his Twitter account.

Clancy's tweets.
Clancy's tweets.

n his resignation statement, the CNN anchor did not mention the reason for his departure. He posted the following message: "After nearly 34 years with Cable News Network, the time has come to say farewell! It has been my honor to work alongside all of you for all of these years."

A CNN spokesperson issued the following statement in response: “Jim Clancy is no longer with CNN. We thank him for more than three decades of distinguished service, and wish him nothing but the best."

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4615997,00.html
By Blazed1979 2015-01-18 13:36:20  
Hi Ladies :), picking up the toilet seat will be the least of your worries from now on.

New Law Requires Gender Neutral Bathroom Signs
By Blazed1979 2015-01-18 15:48:27  
Ignorance Of Law Now A Protected Excuse For Cops
(so much wrong with this ><!!)
[+]
By Bloodrose 2015-01-18 15:59:20  
Blazed just earned a +1.

The video of these... journalists... shall we say?

Bring up some very interesting points - both for and against the argument they are making.

I do agree that it does set a very dangerous precedent, although it appears to be under "reasonable conditions", and that in fact, the officer in question, had "reasonable cause" to pull the person over, due to the vaguely written law.

The officer is then required to make a decision based on the general safety of the public - which, in my opinion, was the correct one.

Now, on the Supreme Court part. Again, they make good arguments for and against this issue, and even go to the lengths to explain the difference in worlds that the Supreme Court Justices live in, and the world of the average citizen. But I wouldn't say the average citizen is harassed by the police. But there are officers who *do* end up harassing otherwise average citizens. Big difference in the argument.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-20 07:46:25  
Japanese Premier vows to save Japanese hostages from ISIS

Quote:
The Islamic State group threatened to kill two Japanese hostages Tuesday unless they receive $200 million in 72 hours, directly demanding the ransom from Japan's premier during his visit to the Middle East. Prime Minister Shinzo Abe vowed to save the men, saying: "Their lives are the top priority."

However, Abe and other Japanese officials declined to discuss whether they'd pay the ransom for the captives, identified in an extremist video as Kenji Goto and Haruna Yukawa. Their kidnapping immediately recalled the 2004 beheading of a Japanese backpacker in Iraq, carried out by the Islamic State group's predecessor over Japan's involvement in the U.S.-led war there.

Tuesday's video, identified as being made by the Islamic State group's al-Furqan media arm and posted on militant websites associated with the extremist group, mirrored other hostage threats it has made. Japanese officials said they would analyze the tape to verify its authenticity, though Abe offered no hesitation as he pledged to free the men while speaking to journalists in Jerusalem.

"It is unforgivable," said Abe, now on a six-day visit to the Middle East with more than 100 government officials and presidents of Japanese companies. He added: "Extremism and Islam are completely different things."

In the video, the two men appear in orange jumpsuits with a rocky hill in the background, a masked militant dressed in black standing between them. The scene resembles others featuring the five hostages previously beheaded by the Islamic State group, which controls a third of Iraq and Syria.

"To the prime minister of Japan: Although you are more than 8,000 and 500 kilometers (5,280 miles) from the Islamic State, you willingly have volunteered to take part in this crusade," says the knife-brandishing militant, who resembles and sounds like a British militant involved in other filmed beheadings. "You have proudly donated $100 million to kill our women and children, to destroy the homes of the Muslims ... and in an attempt to stop the expansion of the Islamic State, you have also donated another $100 million to train the (apostates)."

The militant's comments likely refer to money Abe pledged while in Egypt to help Iraq's government and aid Syrian refugees.

Abe said he would send Yasuhide Nakayama, a deputy foreign minister, to Jordan to seek the country's support and to resolve the hostage crisis. The premier also said the Israeli government, which Japan promised Sunday to cooperate with on counterterrorism, are sharing information to aid in the hostage crisis. The Israeli prime minister's office declined to comment.

Speaking in Tokyo, Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga also declined to say whether Japan would pay the ransom.

"If true, the act of threat in exchange of people's lives is unforgivable and we feel strong indignation," Suga told journalists. "We will make our utmost effort to win their release as soon as possible."

Yukawa, a 42-year-old private military company operator, was kidnapped in Syria in August after going there to train with militants, according to a post on a blog he kept. Pictures on his Facebook page show him in Iraq and Syria in July. One video on his page showed him holding a Kalashnikov assault rifle with the caption: "Syria war in Aleppo 2014."

"I cannot identify the destination," Yukawa wrote in his last blog post. "But the next one could be the most dangerous." He added: "I hope to film my fighting scenes during an upcoming visit."

Nobuo Kimoto, an adviser to Yukawa's company, told Japanese public television station NHK that he had worried "something like this could happen sooner or later."

"I was afraid that they could use Yukawa as a card," Kimoto said.

Goto, 47, is a respected Japanese freelance journalist who went to report on Syria's civil war last year.

"I'm in Syria for reporting," Goto wrote in an email to an Associated Press journalist in October. "I hope I can convey the atmosphere from where I am and share it."

The Islamic State group has beheaded and shot dead hundreds of captives — mainly Syrian and Iraqi soldiers — during its sweep across the two countries, and has celebrated its mass killings in extremely graphic videos. The group also beheaded American hostages James Foley and Peter Kassig, Israeli-American Steven Sotloff, and British captives David Haines and Alan Henning.

The group still holds British photojournalist John Cantlie, who has appeared in other extremist propaganda videos, and a 26-year-old American woman captured last year in Syria while working for aid groups. U.S. officials have asked that the woman not be identified out of fears for her safety.

Tuesday's video marks the first time an Islamic State group message publicly has demanded cash. The extremists requested $132.5 million (100 million euros) from Foley's parents and political concessions from Washington, though neither granted them during months of negotiations before his killing, U.S. authorities say.

The Islamic State group has suffered recent losses in airstrikes by a U.S.-led coalition, and with global oil prices being down, their revenue from selling stolen oil likely has dropped as well. The extremists also have made money from extortion, illicit businesses and other gangland-style criminal activity.

Its militants also recently released some 200 mostly elderly Yazidi hostages in Iraq, fueling speculation by Iraqi officials that the group didn't have the money to care for them.

Japan relies on the Middle East for most of the crude oil it needs to run the world's third-largest economy. It also has been working to build wider economic ties in the region, like with Abe's current Mideast tour.

This is Abe's second Mideast hostage crisis since becoming prime minister. Two years ago, al-Qaida-affiliated militants attacked an Algerian natural gas plant and the ensuing four-day hostage crisis killed 29 insurgents and 37 foreigners, including 10 Japanese who were working for a Yokohama-based engineering company, JCG Corp. Seven Japanese survived.

In 2004, followers of Jordanian militant Abu Musab al-Zarqawi in Iraq beheaded Japanese backpacker Shosei Koda and wrapped his body in an American flag over Japan having troops in Iraq doing humanitarian work. A video by al-Zarqawi's group, which later became the Islamic State group, showed Koda begging Japan's then-prime minister to save him.

Seriously, why would ISIS kidnap Japanese citizens? Greedy mother *** they are, they will not gain any support from the international community from kidnapping and demanding ransom from Japan.

Japan has got to be the most pacifistic society in the world....
 Siren.Lordgrim
サーバ: Siren
user: Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2015-01-20 08:23:52  
they are pacifistic now because we changed the way they thought after world war 2. Remember they attacked us first and brought our country into the war? Things are vastly different now i agree japan is more peaceful to a degree but there is still saber rattling over island chains disputed with china. Mind you only because Japan is backed by U.S favor inside the United Nations. I agree with what Abe said, extremism and Islam are completely different things and i pray for those citizens and all who are victimized over there faith and freedoms.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-20 08:46:21  
They are pacifists because they viewed themselves as the conquered.

Never before in their history has a nation outright beat them in a war, the Japanese were the ones who usually won or there was a stalemate in their skirmishes.

That's their culture, there are countless battles were the conquered clans had to exist next to the conquerors.

As for the "saber rattling over islands," it's just one island that have been claimed by both Japan and China for years. It is basically a piece of rock in the middle of the ocean....
First Page 2 3 ... 197 198 199 ... 1375 1376 1377