Random Politics & Religion #00

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 147 148 149 ... 1375 1376 1377
By Altimaomega 2014-11-20 00:59:57  
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Bismarck.Ihina said: »
AO, what would you say if I were to tell you that there's a difference between weather and climate?

Do you actually ever contribute anything to these arguments, or do you just get a kick out of making passive-aggressive comments that often get ignored?

I say hey Rav handle my light work ^^
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
サーバ: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-11-20 01:10:33  
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
er contribute anything to these arguments, or do you just get a kick out of making passive-aggressive comments that often get ignored?

I try not to anymore, but there's a pretty severe lack of scientific literacy going on here.

AO is describing the weather around him awhile everyone else is talking about the climate. Scientific literacy comes in the form of him not understanding that they're different things.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
サーバ: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-11-20 01:11:12  
Altimaomega said: »
Bahamut.Milamber said: »

Since the USA is one of the main CO2 producers, why are the temps not rising here? "You're not saying its the base cause but definitely contributing." Contributing to what? The extremely mild temperatures the USA has had and is continuing to have for the past 2 years. You cannot have it both ways.
Uh, because a gas is not a solid? Localized production doesn't necessarily mean anything other than temporarily greater local concentrations? I'm sure this felt like a legitimate question, but it shows a fundimental lack of understanding of even some of the most basic physical principles. Also, yet again, USA != globe.

Odin.Jassik said: »
We know that CO2 traps more heat than other atmospheric gasses
This is incorrect. CO2 is actually pretty poor when it comes to retaining heat, it simply happens to have peaks at particular temperatures where the other gases have relatively low performance.

Please enlighten my fundamental lack of understanding and describe temporarily to me. Is it 1yr? 2-3yrs?
Seconds, minutes, hours, days, depending on what your concept of relative locality is?
The fundimental lack is the concepts of both diffusion and bulk flow. Bulk flow is likely the primary driver in this circumstance.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2014-11-20 01:11:28  
Since I'm talking Historic check this out.

Record Snow AND cold in Buffalo NY.

“The National Weather Service said Tuesday night that some areas of the Buffalo suburbs were approaching 76 inches of snow since Monday — that's the record for snowfall over a 24-hour period anywhere in the U.S. ever,”

http://www.jrn.com/now-trending/Record-snowfall-cripples-Buffalo-NY-claims-at-least-5-lives-283204501.html
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-11-20 01:14:24  

“The National Weather Service said Tuesday night that some areas of the Buffalo suburbs were approaching 76 inches of snow since Monday — that's the record for snowfall over a 24-hour period anywhere in the U.S. ever,”

http://www.jrn.com/now-trending/Record-snowfall-cripples-Buffalo-NY-claims-at-least-5-lives-283204501.html
And it is record warm in other locatsions. What exactly is your point? Again, US != globe.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-11-20 01:18:58  

Ok, lets take a different approach.
Perform the calculation as to how much energy is required to raise 1L of water from 0 to 1C. Now do the same, with 1L of air. Feel free to show your work.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2014-11-20 01:19:05  

And it is record warm in other locatsions. What exactly is your point? Again, US != globe.

Post one of those locations please.
By Altimaomega 2014-11-20 01:21:33  

Perform the calculation as to how much energy is required to raise 1L of water from 0 to 1C. Now do the same, with 1L of air. Feel free to show your work.

Do I need to factor in the sun intensity at the time and take a barometer reading or just say screw it and ask for more government money when my test turns out wrong?
By Jetackuu 2014-11-20 01:23:58  

How many times do you need to be proven wrong before you shut up?

http://www.wnem.com/story/27410176/trust-steve-how-abnormal-are-these-temperatures

Quote:
I am predicting a low of 9° tonight and a high of 23° for tomorrow. The coldest low ever recorded on Nov. 18 for Cincinnati is 12° way

back in 1880. The coldest the high temperature for the date is 26° set back in 1951 and that's before I was born so I guess it qualifies as a

long time ago too.

But wait there's more!!!

If we dip into the single digits tomorrow morning it will be the earliest it has ever been that cold in ALL CINCINNATI WEATHER HISTORY.

In addition if the high stays colder than 25° it will be the earliest in the season that we have gotten that cold.

As it now stands the earliest Cincinnati has dropped to single digits is Nov. 19. That was in 1880. The earliest the high temperature

did not make it to 25° was November 20 in 1937.

I'm in lower Michigan and it got down to 3*f and had a windchill of -15*f

When you actually prove me wrong, I'll lick the bottom of my shoe.

Let's see, Cincinnati, Oh... 11/18/2014

max temp 21, min 14, record high: 1985, 75F, low: 14f (it actually did hit the record low for that day, but that a trend it does not make).

But that's probably not counting such a long ago record as the article, and it's definitely not a trend of historic lows.

I wasn't speaking just for a single area anyway, and if I were it would have been for here, not over there.
 Bismarck.Ihina
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-11-20 01:25:31  
Well even though I know you're not interested, it's pretty easy to look this stuff up

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=the+difference+between+weather+and+climate

And it's been awhile since physics class in high school, but I believe the answer is 1000 calories or 4184 joules for H20. I don't remember enough about it to do it for air.
By Jetackuu 2014-11-20 01:25:56  

Don't forget pure water too, not tap.
By Jetackuu 2014-11-20 01:26:34  
Well even though I know you're not interested, it's pretty easy to look this stuff up

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=the+difference+between+weather+and+climate

And it's been awhile since physics class in high school, but I believe the answer is 1000 calories or 4184 joules for H20. I don't remember enough about it to do it for air.
Really depends on where you sample your "air" and it's consistency...
By Altimaomega 2014-11-20 01:30:20  
Jetackuu said: »

How many times do you need to be proven wrong before you shut up?

http://www.wnem.com/story/27410176/trust-steve-how-abnormal-are-these-temperatures

Quote:
I am predicting a low of 9° tonight and a high of 23° for tomorrow. The coldest low ever recorded on Nov. 18 for Cincinnati is 12° way

back in 1880. The coldest the high temperature for the date is 26° set back in 1951 and that's before I was born so I guess it qualifies as a

long time ago too.

But wait there's more!!!

If we dip into the single digits tomorrow morning it will be the earliest it has ever been that cold in ALL CINCINNATI WEATHER HISTORY.

In addition if the high stays colder than 25° it will be the earliest in the season that we have gotten that cold.

As it now stands the earliest Cincinnati has dropped to single digits is Nov. 19. That was in 1880. The earliest the high temperature

did not make it to 25° was November 20 in 1937.

I'm in lower Michigan and it got down to 3*f and had a windchill of -15*f

When you actually prove me wrong, I'll lick the bottom of my shoe.

Let's see, Cincinnati, Oh... 11/18/2014

max temp 21, min 14, record high: 1985, 75F, low: 14f (it actually did hit the record low for that day, but that a trend it does not make).

But that's probably not counting such a long ago record as the article, and it's definitely not a trend of historic lows.

I wasn't speaking just for a single area anyway, and if I were it would have been for here, not over there.

Oh yea my bad I forgot I said trend..
How's business lately, AO?

Not to bad considering the Historic low temperatures and early snow.

We both know you should be eating that shoe not licking it.
By Jetackuu 2014-11-20 01:33:52  
You didn't say trend anywhere in that quote, but it was implied with my original dissenting comment, so you post something about a record low temp for a single day, in one area.

Does the disconnect literally escape you?
By Altimaomega 2014-11-20 01:45:35  
You didn't say trend anywhere in that quote, but it was implied with my original dissenting comment, so you post something about a record low temp for a single day, in one area.

Hahaha w/e dude your so full of it. I'd post a pic of someone backpedaling a bike but your all the sudden not worth my time anymore.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-11-20 01:54:36  

Denmark (it's in Danish)
-an english article discussing October and all of 2014
-->in DK we've yet to get our first freeze. My roses have decided it's spring time and new blooms are coming up.
By Bloodrose 2014-11-20 01:55:26  
But Kara, it's not anywhere in the US, so it obviously doesn't count.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-11-20 01:55:43  

Hahaha w/e dude your so full of it. I'd post a pic of someone backpedaling a bike but your all the sudden not worth my time anymore.
That's ok, you were never worth anyone's time.

edit: also, InigoMontoya.jpg
By Jetackuu 2014-11-20 01:56:17  
Bloodrose said: »
But Kara, it's not anywhere in the US, so it obviously doesn't count.
Denmark? where is that? in space? What's that have to do with the Earth warming?

/sarcasm
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-11-20 02:04:38  

Do I need to factor in the sun intensity at the time and take a barometer reading or just say screw it and ask for more government money when my test turns out wrong?
This answer doesn't make sense.....
By Jetackuu 2014-11-20 02:05:34  
Bahamut.Kara said: »

This answer doesn't make sense.....
We've already established that he doesn't get it, you expected it to make sense?

To be fair though, I wouldn't want to do the calculation, depending on how many different elements we're talking about, as after all I am rather lazy.
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-11-20 02:07:26  

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/
In particular, Denmark is on track with what will likely be the second warmest fall on record, and is on track for busting the record high yearly average temperature record.
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-11-20 02:12:04  

No, energy is energy. Assume standard atmosphere and pressuers. Assume no phase change is necesasry (e.g. liquid water at 0C).
If you want to calculate how much solar insolation is required based on the reflectivity/absorbtion rate of the relative materials feel free, but it isn't really necessary to consider for the point made. Plus, there is little evidence that you would be capable of actually performing the more complicated scenario, let alone correctly defining it. But if you wish to take that as a challenge, and learn what is necessary to prove me wrong by completing both the original task, and the further exercise, please, feel free. But in that case, you will need to post your work.

In any event, out for the work. Later all!
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-11-20 02:13:17  
I think he thought you guys said to measure, not calculate.

Or he doesn't understand the difference.

edit: when you said "air" did you mean oxygen? or did you mean the mixture of gases that we breath?
nvm, there's numbers for "air" at 1 atmosphere of pressure, I'm too lazy to do it though...

edit2: I'm going to be irked if I have that problem on my final now...
By Altimaomega 2014-11-20 02:20:42  

In particular, Denmark is on track with what will likely be the second warmest fall on record, and is on track for busting the record high yearly average temperature record.

Yup post more information that only goes back to 1997, because fail.

As for Denmark.. I cannot find a Record temp list any place. But i did find this. http://www.copenhagen.climatemps.com/

Come autumn/ fall temperatures decrease achieving average highs of 12.3°C (54.2°F) during the day and lows of 7°C (44.6°F) generally shortly after sunrise.
From the article I was given.
Quote:
Meteorology institute DMI predicted last week that October 2014 would end with an average temperature right around 12C, putting it among the top three Octobers since weather recordings began in 1874.
Looks average to me. And nowhere in that article does it say those high temps happened. Oct 27 was a Monday and they were predicting the highs to happen.

Please feel free to post a little better Proof than avg. temperatures almost being broken.. kthxbye.
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-11-20 02:23:23  

edit: when you said "air" did you mean oxygen? or did you mean the mixture of gases that we breath?
I'm not the engineer in the family but to get a quick overview
Heat, work, energy
By Altimaomega 2014-11-20 02:24:54  

No, energy is energy. Assume standard atmosphere and pressuers. Assume no phase change is necesasry (e.g. liquid water at 0C).
If you want to calculate how much solar insolation is required based on the reflectivity/absorbtion rate of the relative materials feel free, but it isn't really necessary to consider for the point made. Plus, there is little evidence that you would be capable of actually performing the more complicated scenario, let alone correctly defining it. But if you wish to take that as a challenge, and learn what is necessary to prove me wrong by completing both the original task, and the further exercise, please, feel free. But in that case, you will need to post your work.

In any event, out for the work. Later all!

You can't even do this.

Cerberus.Pleebo
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-11-20 02:27:24  

As for Denmark.. I cannot find a Record temp list any place. But i did find this. http://www.copenhagen.climatemps.com/

Come autumn/ fall temperatures decrease achieving average highs of 12.3°C (54.2°F) during the day and lows of 7°C (44.6°F) generally shortly after sunrise.
Quote:
Meteorology institute DMI predicted last week that October 2014 would end with an average temperature right around 12C, putting it among the top three Octobers since weather recordings began in 1874.
Looks average to me. And nowhere in that article does it say those high temps happened. Oct 27 was a Monday and they were predicting the highs to happen.

Please feel free to post a little better Proof than avg. temperatures almost being broken.. kthxbye.

...wat
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-11-20 02:29:15  
Bahamut.Kara said: »

I'm not the engineer in the family but to get a quick overview
Heat, work, energy
checkadaedits, it's fine, I'm way too lazy to do the math, I can do the energy calculation, and I'll be going over thermodynamics again soon enough...

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
...wat
basically
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-11-20 02:30:04  

Quote:
Looks average to me. And nowhere in that article does it say those high temps happened Oct 27 was a Monday and they were predicting the highs to happen.

Um...

1. The article I posted in Danish lists the top temps for October
2. They are saying the average will be 12C for October 2014, not that it is on average 12C in october. The final average temp for october 2014 was 12.1C second hottest october on record.

Quote:
Oktober 2014 fik en døgnmiddeltemperatur på 12,1°C for landet som helhed. Det er hele 3°C over normalen beregnet for perioden 1961-90 (9,1°C) og 2,7°C koldere end den seneste 10-års dekadeværdi på 9,4°C beregnet på perioden 2001-2010.
Rough, quick translation:
October 2014 was 12.1c. This is 3c~ higher than normal October temperature. From 1961-1990 it was average 9.1c and 2001-2010 average was 9.4c
First Page 2 3 ... 147 148 149 ... 1375 1376 1377