Random Politics & Religion #00

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 1370 1371 1372 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Cerberus.Pleebo
サーバ: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2016-03-25 00:07:30  
Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
June 1992, Mr. Biden, then the chairman of the Judiciary Committee, said there should be a different standard for a Supreme Court vacancy “that would occur in the full throes of an election year.” The president should follow the example of “a majority of his predecessors” and delay naming a replacement, Mr. Biden said. If he goes forward before then, the Senate should wait to consider the nomination.

“Some will criticize such a decision and say that it was nothing more than an attempt to save a seat on the court in hopes that a Democrat will be permitted to fill it, but that would not be our intention,” Mr. Biden said at the time. “It would be our pragmatic conclusion that once the political season is underway, and it is, action on a Supreme Court nomination must be put off until after the election campaign is over.

“That is what is fair to the nominee and essential to the process. Otherwise, it seems to me,” he added, “we will be in deep trouble as an institution.”
It's perfect, perfect, how that video cuts out the part where he pledges to support the nominee so long as the Senate is properly consulted.

I posted the full speech before but don't feel like looking through my post history but it's embedded in this link:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/23/us/politics/joe-biden-argued-for-delaying-supreme-court-picks-in-1992.html?_r=0

Relevant part at about 2:44.
Quote:
"I believe that so long as the public continues to split its confidence between the branches, compromise is the responsible course both for the White House and for the Senate," he said. "Therefore I stand by my position, Mr. President, if the President [George H.W. Bush] consults and cooperates with the Senate or moderates his selections absent consultation, then his nominees may enjoy my support as did Justices Kennedy and Souter.

Perhaps I should have specified FULL context.
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Like how rabbits should get Swedish massages for human health studies.
Butt ache alert
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
サーバ: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-03-25 01:13:51  
wabbits

[+]
By Altimaomega 2016-03-25 01:53:59  
Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
It's perfect, perfect, how that video cuts out the part where he pledges to support the nominee so long as the Senate is properly consulted.

/looks at all the consulting Obama has done with the senate.

/yawns
 Cerberus.Pleebo
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2016-03-25 02:08:24  
His nominee has been meeting with the Senate. You should probably learn Checkers first.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-03-25 02:12:46  
Whoa, tone down the pictures, Altima. Chess is clearly a metaphor for racial aggression and violence and will not be tolerated. My company, Generation Snowflake Inc., is making a new game where there are no sides, the colors of the pieces represent various cultures, and every piece moves in exactly the same way. It's called "Tolerance". Check out our Kickstarter! Instead of taking money for it, we will be collecting cribs, pacifiers, and blankies for victims of Donald Trump chalkings at college campuses nationwide.
[+]
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
サーバ: Asura
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2016-03-25 02:44:52  
Politicians flip, politicians flop. Gotta tow the line you're getting paid to tow. Saying what they gotta say, like a stripper or a ***. Not as easy on the eyes though :(
 Valefor.Endoq
サーバ: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2016-03-25 03:12:24  
Shiva.Nikolce said: »
wabbits

By Pantafernando 2016-03-25 08:32:41  
Did you guys like the Obama's tango?

Despite ideology or political positions, I though it was nice. Tango is so Argentina.

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-03-25 08:43:56  
Well you can tell he's not really good at it, the girl was leading.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-03-25 09:04:39  
Asura.Vyre said: »
a stripper or a ***.
Whoa now there bub, some people on this website doesn't like it when you call Obama a ***.

They will call you racist for it.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-03-25 09:09:55  
Asura.Vyre said: »
a stripper or a ***.
Whoa now there bub, some people on this website doesn't like it when you call Obama a ***.

They will call you racist for it.

Frankly, I think it's insulting to strippers and prostitutes to compare politicians to them.
[+]
Administrator
サーバ: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2016-03-25 09:13:53  
Ramyrez said: »
Frankly, I think it's insulting to strippers and prostitutes to compare politicians to them.

Yeah, strippers and prostitutes:
- actually contribute to the economy, rather than wreck it
- actually show up for work
- make it clear up front whether or not they're going to *** you
- etc, etc
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-03-25 09:40:07  
In stupid racial news:

Bernie Sanders criticized for saying white people don't know what it's like to be poor

Quote:

Bernie Sanders took some heat online for a response he gave during the CNN Democratic debate in Flint, Michigan, on Sunday.

Sanders said he was told by a woman active in the Black Lives Matter movement that he didn't understand "what police do in certain black communities" and "the degree to which we are terrorized" during everyday activities. "When you're white, you don't know what it's like to be living in a ghetto," Sanders said. "You don't know what it's like to be poor, you don't know what it's like to be hassled when you walk down the street or you get dragged out of a car. I believe as a nation in the year 2016 we must be firm in making it clear we will end institutionalized racism and reform a broken criminal justice system."

On Twitter, several people pounced on Sanders' statement, saying it was totally off the mark.

I know this is 3 weeks old, but I just came across this today.

This is just another example of Sanders pandering to a crowd just for votes. Just like pretty much every politician ever.

Now if people will wake up to realize this......
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-03-25 09:56:39  
This is just another example of Sanders pandering to a crowd just for votes. Just like pretty much every politician ever.

No one ever says he doesn't pander to voters or small donators?

At least not that I've seen.

They're clearly wrong if they've said that.

He just doesn't pander nearly as much to big-money donors. He still does that, too, obviously, because he's a politician and that's what they do.

There are people who say he doesn't do that at all, but obviously they don't understand how things work.

As far as his actual statements, making any blanket statements about race is misguided, at best. In this case I think he's sort of bungled the point he was trying to make.

It's true that it's extremely difficult, borderline impossible, for anyone who doesn't live in predominantly black, poor areas to understand or empathize with people who live in such a situation. As the number of whites in such areas is extremely low, his point is valid, though again...made poorly.

He does himself no favors by presenting his point in a poor way, which is a bungle he's made several times, to be honest.

Truthfully I think his pandering attempts are so blatantly obvious and badly done because he's actually not that good at pandering.

Which, in a roundabout way, is sort of a nice thing. But it certainly does him no favors garnering votes.
 Shiva.Viciousss
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2016-03-25 09:56:44  
Altimaomega said: »
/yawns

He nominated the person that Orrin Hatch, the most senior republican senator, recommended.
By Ramyrez 2016-03-25 10:01:01  

/yawns

All I know is that pawn has done a very poor job of defending his king. Look at him, standing around watching others kill his liege, nary a finger raised in protection.

What a terrible, terrible guard. He should be ashamed!
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-03-25 10:01:09  
It's true that it's extremely difficult, borderline impossible, for anyone who doesn't live in predominantly black, poor areas to understand or empathize with people who live in such a situation.
The way these people make it sound like they are taken out on the street and beaten up by cops every day. You know, the usual rape/pillage/murder storyline we hear every now and then from third-world countries.

While I may not know what it's like to live in those areas, that doesn't mean I don't know how to help improve everyone's lives, including theirs. But why should anyone listen to me, even if evidence shows that my ideas are correct?
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-03-25 10:02:25  
While I may not know what it's like to live in those areas, that doesn't mean I don't know how to help improve everyone's lives, including theirs. But why should anyone listen to me, even if evidence shows that my ideas are correct?

Then run for office.

You make it clear you have money.

You've clearly got these amazing plans and ideas.

Do something about it.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-03-25 10:03:26  

/yawns

All I know is that pawn has done a very poor job of defending his king. Look at him, standing around watching others kill his liege, nary a finger raised in protection.

He just realized he was only a pawn his whole life.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-03-25 10:04:49  
Valefor.Sehachan said: »

/yawns

He just realized he was only a pawn his whole life.

Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2016-03-25 10:11:20  
It's true that it's extremely difficult, borderline impossible, for anyone who doesn't live in predominantly black, poor areas to understand or empathize with people who live in such a situation. As the number of whites in such areas is extremely low, his point is valid, though again...made poorly.

Excuse me.

Have you ever lived in a trailer park before?

I've spent most of my life either living in trailer parks or in cheap run down housing with entirely too many brothers and sisters under one roof. I am thankful that I was the fifth child and didn't have to sell drugs and steal like my oldest brother did to afford food and school clothes for the rest of us.

Now there is a whole long backstory to all this but the short version is that I grew up dirt poor white trash, the kind you liberals make fun of on a daily basis. So please tell me all about how I can't possibly understand the crushing despair and harsh lifestyle of impoverished people.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-03-25 10:12:23  

Then run for office.

You make it clear you have money.

Do something about it.
Nobody will vote for me, I'm a Texan and people still remember Bush. Ted Cruz isn't helping me out either.

I know that people will vote/not vote for me because of where I live, I know that people are that petty.

I rather not waste the money.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-03-25 10:15:29  
Asura.Saevel said: »

Excuse me.

Have you ever lived in a trailer park before?

I've spent most of my life either living in trailer parks or in cheap run down housing with entirely too many brothers and sisters under one roof. I am thankful that I was the fifth child and didn't have to sell drugs and steal like my oldest brother did to afford food and school clothes for the rest of us.

Now there is a whole long backstory to all this but the short version is that I grew up dirt poor white trash, the kind you liberals make fun of on a daily basis. So please tell me all about how I can't possibly understand the crushing despair and harsh lifestyle of impoverished people.

...you lived in a predominantly black urban area?

I was speaking to the very specific situation at hand.

It could be that I'm giving Bernie to much credit for the situation he's describing, and he was in fact being broad and just wrong.

I'm willing to admit being wrong on that if that's the case.

But if you assume that I am speaking to the fact that no one white can understand crushing poverty, you're talking to someone else who once resided in a trailer, whose room was smaller than a standard single-person prison cell.

Believe me, I'm sorry if I gave that impression, because I'm painfully clear on the subject myself.

Asura.Saevel said: »
the kind you liberals make fun of on a daily basis

Please do not make assumptions about me. I don't make fun of anyone who doesn't bring it upon themselves, and my definition of that is decidedly narrower than yours, I assure you.
By Ramyrez 2016-03-25 10:16:13  
Nobody will vote for me, I'm a Texan and people still remember Bush. Ted Cruz isn't helping me out either.

I know that people will vote/not vote for me because of where I live, I know that people are that petty.

Do you hold any regional office?

Effect changes at your own local level. Make them work. Prove everyone wrong.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-03-25 10:17:12  

...I might. I mean, it's not like I have much else to do now.
By Ramyrez 2016-03-25 10:19:17  

Here, here.

I look forward to being proved wrong.

Because really, what's the worst that happens if I'm wrong?

"Oh look. You were right. I'm better off now! Damn!"
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-03-25 10:20:26  

Then run for office. You make it clear you have money.
Do something about it.

he's busy educating the poor misguided misanthropes that post on this website... all twenty six of us.. >.>

because if he can sway just one person on a rarely visited forum section of a third party hack website of a dying fourteen year old on line japanese video game... then... he's one step closer to...achieving his lifetime goal of.... making...

ok I have no idea what happens if he actually winds up convincing anyone of anything...

but if you have an electron microscope you can almost see the conservative cracks starting to form in pleebo's progressive liberal armor... after seven or eight more years who knows what will happen?
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-03-25 10:22:49  

Here, here.

I look forward to being proved wrong.

Because really, what's the worst that happens if I'm wrong?

"Oh look. You were right. I'm better off now! Damn!"
Except you wouldn't be effected.

Hell, most of my ideas require federal-level intervention. It's mostly tax law.

Texas doesn't have a state income tax for individuals.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-03-25 10:23:38  
Shiva.Nikolce said: »
but if you have an electron microscope you can almost see the conservative cracks starting to form in pleebo's progressive liberal armor... after seven or eight more years who knows what will happen?
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-03-25 10:31:15  
Ted Cruz isn't helping me out either

it's his voice... dear gods.. if him or hillary wins I'm going to remove the speakers from my television...holy crap
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 1370 1371 1372 ... 1375 1376 1377