Random Politics & Religion #00

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 1365 1366 1367 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Shiva.Nikolce
サーバ: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-03-24 10:11:25  
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Trump

I'm excited to see what happens next.

And I can't remember the last time I paid this much attention to the presidential race.

There is no telling what will happen if trump wins the nomination he's breaking records for turnout that have baffled everyone.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-03-24 10:12:16  
Anna Ruthven said: »
I kinda get the feeling the GOP will give the nomination to someone else. Looking like Paul Ryan is being considered.
Ryan already said he wasn't running for President.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-03-24 10:14:32  
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
1. vandalism would be such regardless of what was written

2. you've already seen plenty of liberal posters here claiming that suppressing Trump's fans is not the way to go; using the actions of a few idiots or immature people who do so does not justify blanket statements about the rest

The chalk is not being pursued because it is vandalism. It's being pursued because it has hurt certain liberal college student's feelings. Do you think the school puts this much effort into people who write "Bernie 2016"?

{That is not a blanket statement for or against anyone here regardless if you feel it to be, unless of course you are one of those certain whiny liberal college student protesters at Emory university, then YES I'm directly talking about you.}
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-03-24 10:14:33  
Shiva.Nikolce said: »
Trump

I'm excited to see what happens next.

And I can't remember the last time I paid this much attention to the presidential race.

There is no telling what will happen if trump wins the nomination he's breaking records for turnout that have baffled everyone.

It's really not baffling when you consider exactly what's happening and what message is selling.

Disheartening, sure. Disgusting, really.

But not baffling.

But hey:
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-03-24 10:16:43  
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
The chalk is not being pursued because it is vandalism. It's being pursued because it has hurt certain liberal college student's feelings. Do you think the school puts this much effort into people who write "Bernie 2016"?

{That is not a blanket statement for or against anyone here regardless if you feel it to be, unless of course you are one of those certain whiny liberal college student protesters at Emory university, then YES I'm directly talking about you.}

I think Trump is the scum of the Earth and I think this story is idiotic. People have the right to support who they want and chalking sidewalks is 110% normal on college campuses.

The fact that people are trying to violate the First Amendment as relates to Trump because Trump advocates violating the First Amendment is...problematic, to say the least.

The entire situation is revolting and it's revealing very ugly things about this country on both sides of the political spectrum.
Forum Moderator
サーバ: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2016-03-24 10:16:51  

I don't like Trump but the chalk incident is so laughable and absurd I was surprised to see it wasn't an Onion article.

EDIT: I kinda think the whole debacle was something of a satirical protest of Trump's anti-PC rhetoric.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-03-24 10:18:18  
Ramyrez said: »
Trump advocates violating the First Amendment
That's the first I heard of this.

Can you explain?
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-03-24 10:19:23  
The fact that people are trying to violate the First Amendment as relates to Trump because Trump advocates violating the First Amendment is...problematic, to say the least.
So kudos for the small aspect of rationalism in the other stuff you said. However, in what manner does Trump advocate violating the 1st amendment.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-03-24 10:20:09  
So kudos for the small aspect of rationalism in the other stuff you said. However, is what manner does Trump advocate violating the 1st amendment.

Something, something, freedom of religion, something, something, restricting Muslims...
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-03-24 10:23:13  
So kudos for the small aspect of rationalism in the other stuff you said. However, is what manner does Trump advocate violating the 1st amendment.

Something, something, freedom of religion, something, something, restricting Muslims...

Preventing a religious group from immigrating here is not a violation of the 1st amendment.

The 1st amendment does not guarantee the rest of the world the specific right to migrate here

(I assume that's what your rather unspecific comment is aimed at)
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-03-24 10:25:25  
"You can violate people's rights as long as you do it before they're here."

Sounds legit.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-03-24 10:25:50  
The day after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, Roosevelt suspended naturalization proceedings for Italian, German, and Japanese immigrants, required them to register, restricted their mobility, and prohibited them from owning items that might be used for sabotage, such as cameras and shortwave radios.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-03-24 10:26:20  

Preventing foreign nationals from entering into the country, either temporary (visits) or permanent (citizenship or refugee amnesty) is not a violation of the First Amendment....

The US Constitution only applies to US citizens, not foreign nationals. If it applies to foreign nationals, then the whole world is violating the US constitution. Are you going to seek legal action against the world?
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-03-24 10:27:03  
The day after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, Roosevelt suspended naturalization proceedings for Italian, German, and Japanese immigrants, required them to register, restricted their mobility, and prohibited them from owning items that might be used for sabotage, such as cameras and shortwave radios.
But that's ok because he was a democrat.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-03-24 10:27:28  
Trump, Lega, PVV, UKIP, Front National, etc...different names, different countries, same ***.

Just last night there was a representative of Lega on tv advocating a mass deportation of the 2 mil muslims that live in Italy, regardless of how long they've been here, status, political alignment, etc.

What a cancer.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-03-24 10:28:30  

Preventing people of certain nationalities is not preventing people by religion.

There's a fundamental different. Nationality is a function of governance.

Our government is to be free of religion.

Ipso facto, if you want to single people out by nationality, it's still a little shitty, but it's fair game.

Religion, by way of our government not establishing a national religion, can therefore not be a basis for our government to screen people, because they're not supposed to consider religion in the first place.
By Ramyrez 2016-03-24 10:29:40  

FFS you're closed minded.

Attack me if you want to attack me, but stop using broad labels as if I've ever defended anyone just by nature of their political affiliation.

Also, Japanese internment camps are a black mark on this country's history, for the record. I don't give a good god damn what his/our politics were.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-03-24 10:29:55  
"You can violate people's rights as long as you do it before they're here."

Sounds legit.

NO!

The rest of the world has no right to migrate to America.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-03-24 10:31:02  

FFS you're closed minded.

Attack me if you want to attack me, but stop using broad labels as if I've ever defended anyone just by nature of their political affiliation.

Also, Japanese internment camps are a black mark on this country's history, for the record. I don't give a good god damn what his/our politics were.
I wasn't referring to you in that comment.

Unless you want to consider yourself the general populace of democrat/liberal mindset.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-03-24 10:32:26  
I'm still waiting on Ramy to say that foreign nationals are protected by the US constitution.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-03-24 10:33:21  
Some people find this deplorable. I used to think i understood why but I can no longer feel certain it is disgust against a specific tactic, or a fear at the thought of standing up against tyranny/evil.

What do you think?
By Ramyrez 2016-03-24 10:35:02  
I'm still waiting on Ramy to say that foreign nationals are protected by the US constitution.

Please read up on the 14th Amendment and get back to me.

What Nausi's saying, basically, is that "as long as we stop them from getting here we really don't give a good god damn about their rights, *** them."

I wasn't referring to you in that comment.

Well, I'm the only one disagreeing presently so I had to infer you were just being passive aggressive. I apologize for assuming.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-03-24 10:36:56  

Preventing people of certain nationalities is not preventing people by religion.

There's a fundamental different. Nationality is a function of governance..

/erases muslims and writes in "anyone from nations in conflict in the global war on terror"

there... happy!?
By Ramyrez 2016-03-24 10:38:24  
Well, that's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is they don't have constitutional rights if they aren't Americans.

They don't.

For someone who claims to love the Constitution so much you're woefully uneducated.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-03-24 10:40:09  
Please read up on the 14th Amendment and get back to me.
Again, still only applies to Americans and not foreign nationals.

What Nausi's saying, basically, is that "as long as we stop them from getting here we really don't give a good god damn about their rights, *** them."
We are only bound by their rights under international law. The US government still has the option to deny people the right of entry into this country for any and all reasons.

What you are trying to do is apply US law on foreign nationals, which gives them US rights also. However, that's not how the world works.

Well, I'm the only one disagreeing presently so I had to infer you were just being passive aggressive. I apologize for assuming.
I will take the blame of miscommunication. I'm sorry if I made it seem like I was referring to you, which, in hindsight, would have looked like that.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-03-24 10:42:45  
Again, still only applies to Americans and not foreign nationals.

Quote:
“nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.” Just before the Due Process and Equal Protection Clauses, the 14th Amendment prohibits states from making or enforcing “any law which shall abridge the privileges and immunities of citizens of the United States.” Notice that the 14th Amendment uses citizens in one places, and persons in another. This has long been thought to mean that non-citizens (“persons”) have due process and equal protection rights, once in the territory of the United States. The Fifth Amendment (which applies to the federal government) likewise uses the phrase “no person shall be . . . deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law.”

I get the technical difference being assumed in Nausi's argument and acknowledge that getting down to the strict word-for-word, obviously they're not protected until they're here. The idea is to head them off at the pass so they don't have to be offered the rights we (clearly) take for granted.

I just think it's a thin excuse to be an insular coward.
First Page 2 3 ... 1365 1366 1367 ... 1375 1376 1377