Random Politics & Religion #00

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 1280 1281 1282 ... 1375 1376 1377
By Altimaomega 2016-02-20 23:12:35  
Asura.Failaras said: »
Yeah *** that thing making it actually possible for young people to get health insurance.

It was incredibly easy to get health insurance when I was younger.
Cheaper too..
VIP
By Jassik 2016-02-20 23:12:47  
Altimaomega said: »
Less doctors taking government insurances, making longer lines and bad treatment. It is already happening thanks to the ACA. You now that thing that was suppose to make thing Affordable yet the price has only gone up higher and is costing tax payers more money than ever before..

Keep your head firmly implanted in the sand though. Seems to be working for you.

If all insurance is government insurance, how could less doctors take it? How are less doctors already taking government insurance thanks to ACA? If it's costing taxpayers more money, how much? Is that including the ~$1200/year that every taxpayer pays to cover the uninsured while the expanded medicaid would have cost each taxpayer less than half that?

If these things are true, surely there is some data that supports it?
 Asura.Failaras
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2016-02-20 23:13:37  
Yeah *** that thing making it actually possible for young people to get health insurance.

Cheaper too..
Sounds about right.

It isn't anymore.
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2016-02-20 23:13:51  

Cheaper too..

When companies were providing benefits to employees almost universally? What changed since then besides ACA?

Undelete | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Odin.Slore
サーバ: Odin
user: Slore
By Odin.Slore 2016-02-20 23:21:38  
Jassik said: »
Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »
Terraka said: »
It's not even just the idea of tuition free. Universal healthcare would be amazing, have you ever seen someone struggle with hospital bills, after insurance, who just survived cancer? Those hospital bills are close to 6 digits. Why should people who didn't ask to get this illness, who have fought to survive this illness for years, be strapped with bills they never even wanted?

In practice it works great on specific models. However, when you attempt to superimpose it on a model like the US which has a bigger population, larger number of infections/diseases, larger number of travelers, etc. the money has to come from somewhere. These models(countries) where his single-payer system works are smaller than California and have no where near as a complex health system as the state let alone the US. You're essentially trying to oversimply a very complex health system and hoping it works EXACTLY the same way.

I've heard this reasoning put forth without any justification or rationale repeatedly and it just keeps getting repeated ad nauseum.

Since nobody else who's used it can articulate a single reason why population has any impact, maybe you can?

Less doctors taking government insurances, making longer lines and bad treatment. It is already happening thanks to the ACA. You now that thing that was suppose to make thing Affordable yet the price has only gone up higher and is costing tax payers more money than ever before..

Keep your head firmly implanted in the sand though. Seems to be working for you.

My premiums went up by half and I lost my plan that I had for years. Working out great for me but I'm glad the young unworking population has it good while I pay out the nose. What a deal.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2016-02-20 23:24:17  
If all insurance is government insurance, how could less doctors take it?

Notice I didn't say "all" I said Government.
The only reason more people are insured now is because Medicaid enrollment has skyrocketed! Whats Medicaid? Government insurance! What are Doctors choosing not to take as payment anymore? Medicaid!

The Doctors that are taking Medicaid are severely backed up and understaffed! The Doctors that don't take Medicaid are making bank and playing Golf since they are raking in the Insurance money from people that are forced to buy overpriced insurance now thanks to the ACA.

How does this not register in your head? The proof is literally everywhere if you choose to get your head out of the sand.
By Altimaomega 2016-02-20 23:25:26  
Caitsith.Shiroi said: »
Doesn't matter. Bernie and Clinton have no hope of winning this election. The massive swing right is being felt already.

The same massive right swing that was there for McCain and Romney?
Sorry, took me a few minutes to respond. I had to get up off the floor from laughing so hard.
 Asura.Failaras
サーバ: Asura
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2016-02-20 23:26:24  
Quote:
My premiums went up by half and I lost my plan that I had for years. Working out great for me but I'm glad the young unworking population has it good while I pay out the nose. What a deal.
Yeah, it's those damn unemployeds not the majority of Americans that don't have the ability to get the not large amount of jobs that allow you to have health insurance.
By Altimaomega 2016-02-20 23:35:12  
/facepalm
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2016-02-20 23:41:01  

The only reason more people are insured now is because Medicaid enrollment has skyrocketed! Whats Medicaid? Government insurance! What are Doctors choosing not to take as payment anymore? Medicaid!

The Doctors that are taking Medicaid are severely backed up and understaffed! The Doctors that don't take Medicaid are making bank and playing Golf since they are raking in the Insurance money from people that are forced to buy overpriced insurance now thanks to the ACA.

How does this not register in your head? The proof is literally everywhere if you choose to get your head out of the sand.

I am having trouble sorting through this. You're talking about single payer and immediately go into how doctors aren't taking government insurance, but then that wasn't about single payer and something about medicaid being overpriced because doctors play golf?

Seriously, I asked a few straight forward and earnest questions and you just spout off a bunch of incoherent insults.

Undelete | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
By Altimaomega 2016-02-20 23:57:37  

I am having trouble sorting through this. You're talking about single payer and immediately go into how doctors aren't taking government insurance, but then that wasn't about single payer and something about medicaid being overpriced because doctors play golf?

Seriously, I asked a few straight forward and earnest questions and you just spout off a bunch of incoherent insults.

I see why you are confused. I never said Medicaid was overpriced. Medicaid is actually "free" Government funded, I.E. Taxpayers.

Another little tidbit, Medicaid does not pay what traditional insurance pays. The reason Doctors are refusing to take it.

Why would they when they can take as many Traditional insurance holders as they need, since people are now forced to have one or the other.

The catch here is that if you make "too much" money the government will not give you Medicaid "free insurance" (taxpayer money) and force you to buy the traditional insurance. Then if you make just under "too much money" they will subsidize your plan "free money". (taxpayer money)

If you are making "too much" money for that then you are force to buy overpriced traditional insurance without being subsidized..

It is complicated as all hell, and meant to be that way so nobody knows how screwed they are.

LoL no you didn't, you once again tried to put words in my mouth. If you think having your head in the sand is an insult. I have a new term for you crybully..
[+]
By Altimaomega 2016-02-20 23:59:21  
Caitsith.Shiroi said: »
Sorry, took me a few minutes to respond. I had to get up off the floor from laughing so hard.

Same here, you said the exact same things people said on this forum every election.

Trump by a landslide!
No.. I didn't.. I would love to see that quote. Also, I've been on this forum for every election. And No, they didn't either..
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
サーバ: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2016-02-21 00:01:27  
Terraka said: »
It's not even just the idea of tuition free. Universal healthcare would be amazing, have you ever seen someone struggle with hospital bills, after insurance, who just survived cancer? Those hospital bills are close to 6 digits. Why should people who didn't ask to get this illness, who have fought to survive this illness for years, be strapped with bills they never even wanted?

In practice it works great on specific models. However, when you attempt to superimpose it on a model like the US which has a bigger population, larger number of infections/diseases, larger number of travelers, etc. the money has to come from somewhere. These models(countries) where his single-payer system works are smaller than California and have no where near as a complex health system as the state let alone the US. You're essentially trying to oversimply a very complex health system and hoping it works EXACTLY the same way.

I've heard this reasoning put forth without any justification or rationale repeatedly and it just keeps getting repeated ad nauseum.

Since nobody else who's used it can articulate a single reason why population has any impact, maybe you can?

ok theres a few reasons. You are superimposing a completely different practice of medicine and how medical care is delivered. Nurses are a lot cheaper than MDs for both the patient and insurance company. Unfortunately the US doesnt give RNs the same perscription authority as MDs like Sweden and other European countries.

Lastly cost driven market adjustments vary on population. Lets take Hep C since Sovuldi is one of the most modern and expensive medications out there at $84k for treatment. As the pharmaceutical company I can drive up the cost in a country like the US because Hep C is fairly prevelent still and its infection rate is somewhat high. If i go to Sweden the number of Hep C patients and infection rate is significantly lower so I would need to lower the cost to compete with my competitor medications.

Population also has to do with public health systems because think of playing roulette. The more roulette tables I play the more likely I am to hit a particular number right? Now rather than roulette tables imagine genomes mutating like H1N1, HIV, Hep C, Syphilis, Meningitis, etc. In a smaller population pool I have a smaller likely hood of hitting that magic number which produces resistance to a medication. In a bigger population pool I have a higher chance of hitting that magic number to produce resistance or a new strain. That means countries like the US need to produce vaccines for the flu and pneumonia more often versus a country like Sweden.

In the case of bacteria bigger population, which means more bacteria, also means higher exchange rate of genes aka conjugation, which means higher chance of giving your friend some new genetic material and developing resistance.

Hence bigger populations need to spend more on research, medicine, preventative care, health education, medical practioners because they have more complex health systems not just because they have more people.
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2016-02-21 01:02:06  
ok theres a few reasons. You are superimposing a completely different practice of medicine and how medical care is delivered. Nurses are a lot cheaper than MDs for both the patient and insurance company. Unfortunately the US doesnt give RNs the same perscription authority as MDs like Sweden and other European countries.

Should be addressed either way, obviously.

Lastly cost driven market adjustments vary on population. Lets take Hep C since Sovuldi is one of the most modern and expensive medications out there at $84k for treatment. As the pharmaceutical company I can drive up the cost in a country like the US because Hep C is fairly prevelent still and its infection rate is somewhat high. If i go to Sweden the number of Hep C patients and infection rate is significantly lower so I would need to lower the cost to compete with my competitor medications.

We're one of the only modern nations that doesn't regulate the price of prescription drugs. Pharma are also notorious for taking government research grants to finance drug research then transferring ownership of the finished product to an oversea subsidiary while charging prices meant to recoup the development cost they didn't pay. Why should their bottom line be a barrier to healthcare for the taxpayers?

In the case of bacteria bigger population, which means more bacteria, also means higher exchange rate of genes aka conjugation, which means higher chance of giving your friend some new genetic material and developing resistance.

That has more to do with population density than gross population.

Hence bigger populations need to spend more on research, medicine, preventative care, health education, medical practioners because they have more complex health systems not just because they have more people.

This is just hypothetical, since there are no analogues to each system in relative populations. The only thing you can say factually is that we do spend more, not that we need to. Line item cost comparisons to other countries put our spending per capita much higher than smaller and even more densely populated countries, not because it costs more deliver the medication or procedures here, but simply because there is no guarantee of payment or reasonable limit on profiteering.
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2016-02-21 01:07:30  
LoL no you didn't, you once again tried to put words in my mouth. If you think having your head in the sand is an insult. I have a new term for you crybully..

I asked bacon a question, which you responded to, and I asked you to clarify what you were talking about, because it wasn't an answer to the question you quoted.

Not a single thing I asked you was intended to bully or instigate. I don't know if you're just begging for conflict or if you really don't think a question can just be a question, but stop with this stupid routine.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2016-02-21 01:28:50  
I asked bacon a question, which you responded to, and I asked you to clarify what you were talking about, because it wasn't an answer to the question you quoted.
It was an answer, just not the answer you wanted.

Not a single thing I asked you was intended to bully or instigate.
I see, You just enjoy either purposely putting words in my mouth or are completely misinformed on how screwed up the ACA and our medical industry is.

Knowing you are most likely not misinformed, the former would be instigating.

I don't know if you're just begging for conflict or if you really don't think a question can just be a question
Again, I have rarely ever seen you ask a legit question that wasn't a pretense.

but stop with this stupid routine.
The routine you started? Okay...
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2016-02-21 09:17:25  

Should be addressed either way, obviously.

We're one of the only modern nations that doesn't regulate the price of prescription drugs. Pharma are also notorious for taking government research grants to finance drug research then transferring ownership of the finished product to an oversea subsidiary while charging prices meant to recoup the development cost they didn't pay. Why should their bottom line be a barrier to healthcare for the taxpayers?

That has more to do with population density than gross population.

This is just hypothetical, since there are no analogues to each system in relative populations. The only thing you can say factually is that we do spend more, not that we need to. Line item cost comparisons to other countries put our spending per capita much higher than smaller and even more densely populated countries, not because it costs more deliver the medication or procedures here, but simply because there is no guarantee of payment or reasonable limit on profiteering.

Like I said overhauling "how" we practice medicine will take decades. MDs don't make what they used to they're not giving up their prescription authority without a fight. Technical a vet is competent to prescribe you meds...food for thought.

Also both population and density are important. Density effects mainly how fast something spreads. Also I consider the US to be fairly dense compared to other nations.

Because we have higher cases of diseases more money is spent. More dollars are needed to deal with the complex nature of the US.
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-02-21 09:32:23  
Shiva.Viciousss said: »
what's the difference I know about politics but Im not exactly sure what differentiates a caucus from a primary?
A primary is the same as the regular election, go to the polling station anytime between open and close (usually 8am-5pm or later) and cast your ballot, go home. It takes minutes.

A caucus is a ridiculous fanfare that will happen at a set time, say 7pm at a local gym or church or something like that. You have to be there at 7 or you don't get to vote at all. Some speakers representing each candidate will get up there and make a final pitch and then everyone present will cast a vote. Sometimes its as simple as writing on a piece of paper, other times you have to stand in a certain part of the room that corresponds to your candidate. It always takes a long time, sometimes hours.
Because of the restrictive time frame of a caucus, along with the hoopla, it will always have a way lower turnout than a primary.
We used to have a caucus system here in "The Other Washington." It was fun. It was replaced by a primary system. I miss it.
By Mesic 2016-02-22 04:17:41  
Also I consider the US to be fairly dense compared to other nations.

Meh. #179 of 241.

Source
 Shiva.Nikolce
サーバ: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-02-22 10:29:08  
YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
サーバ: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2016-02-22 11:39:59  
Kasich is passing a bill to de-fund planned parenthood in Ohio. there goes the last guy I half-assedly liked in the presidential race.

Now I might have to get serious about Trump2016.

he's going to make america great again.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
サーバ: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2016-02-22 11:48:51  
O and let's have a proper send-off for Jeb-o.

[+]
By Altimaomega 2016-02-23 00:33:48  
Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Odin.Slore said: »
Why was it ok for Obama and democrats to fillabuster Bush's pick for SCJ but if Republicans even talk about it its OMFG the hate the US. Hypocrisy by some of the people here is amazing.
The obvious difference being that Republicans have refused to vote on anyone. You'd have a point if they had at least waited for a nomination to be announced. So, no, sorry. Stash the 'h' word away for another day.
This H word?

We need another word, Hypocrisy isn't doing it anymore.

Quote:
Well, this is awkward.

C-SPAN has resurfaced video of a floor speech delivered by then-Senate Judiciary Committee Chair Joe Biden on June 25, 1992. In it, Biden explicitly calls on then-President George H.W. Bush to not nominate anyone to fill whatever Supreme Court vacancies should arise between then and the presidential election in November, and suggests that if Bush did put forth a nominee, the Judiciary Committee might not hold hearings.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2016-02-23 01:16:51  
Oh look, more quote mining.

Quote:
“I believe that so long as the public continues to split its confidence between the branches, compromise is the responsible course both for the White House and for the Senate,” he said. “Therefore I stand by my position, Mr. President, if the President [George H.W. Bush] consults and cooperates with the Senate or moderates his selections absent consultation, then his nominees may enjoy my support as did Justices Kennedy and Souter.”
He then says if that doesn't happen then, yes, there would be no consideration of the hypothetical (there was no open position at that time) nominee. This is obviously the exact same thing as being against all nominees under any condition.

Yawn, boring, next
By Altimaomega 2016-02-23 01:36:51  
Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Hypocritical stuff.
 Shiva.Nikolce
サーバ: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-02-23 13:30:01  
Siren.Mosin said: »
Kasich is passing a bill to de-fund planned parenthood in Ohio. there goes the last guy I half-assedly liked in the presidential race.

Now I might have to get serious about Trump2016.

he's going to make america great again.

we (ohio) haven't cornered the market on crazy politicians...

but we sure do have a metric shitton

JohnK
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-02-23 14:06:10  
I have found a Republican governor who would be worth voting for as president.

Unfortunately he isn't running.

Brian Sandoval, Nevada
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-02-23 14:59:49  
Garuda.Chanti said: »
I have found a Republican governor who would be worth voting for as president.

Unfortunately he isn't running.

Brian Sandoval, Nevada

So, you'd vote for a RINO that's more moderate-liberal than conservative. You're not exactly blowing anyone's mind here.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 1280 1281 1282 ... 1375 1376 1377