Random Politics & Religion #00

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 1212 1213 1214 ... 1375 1376 1377
By Altimaomega 2016-01-20 23:01:54  
Anna Ruthven said: »
Shiva.Viciousss said: »
He was outside of his jurisdiction and he wasn't on the list of people authorized to carry a weapon inside the rally perimeter, pretty cut and dry, the Secret Service doesn't kid around with that stuff.
Yeah, I know. But I also know crazy people shouldn't have guns and there are no special snowflakes when it comes to background checks when buying from licensed dealers. Anyone who *** about gun control should be bitching about this.

...and I say this as a bit of a gun fanatic.

As a bit of a gun fanatic and probably the biggest fan of the 2nd amendment here.. Being told to check your gun at the door is nothing like any kind of background check and trying to compare them is totally wrong..

The sheriff has every right to boycott the event but to think his status grants him any more rights outside of his jurisdiction is ludicrous.

I know your point is that anyone should be allowed to carry a gun to the event since Trump is supposedly pro-gun. It's a moot point unless people that are anti-gun disarm themselves and their body guards.

Paged!
By Altimaomega 2016-01-20 23:04:09  
Don't know what they would be crying about, this isn't a new thing, if you aren't on the list, you don't get in.
Background checks aren't new either but for some reason people are raising hell about them being required at gun shows now.

You should know the main reason people are against it is because once they finally are able to get it done, they won't stop there and move onto the next thing on the list. May as well make a stand now rather than later.
VIP
By Jassik 2016-01-20 23:52:45  
Nobody made a stand when they neutered the 4th, 5th, and 8th amendments, in fact, people *** cheered.
By Altimaomega 2016-01-20 23:57:29  
You must live in a different America than I do. It's the only way any of your comments make sense.
VIP
By Jassik 2016-01-21 00:02:09  
Altimaomega said: »
You must live in a different America than I do. It's the only way any of your comments make sense.

Oh? I remember cheering and clapping when GWB signed the patriot act.
 Bahamut.Ravael
サーバ: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-01-21 00:07:16  
Jassik said: »

Made me think of a Star Wars quote.

It didn't stop with the Patriot Act.
[+]
Forum Moderator
サーバ: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2016-01-21 00:11:13  
I know your point is that anyone should be allowed to carry a gun to the event since Trump is supposedly pro-gun. It's a moot point unless people that are anti-gun disarm themselves and their body guards.
Not exactly my point, my point is that there are people who will protest anytime anything regarding guns comes out of a politician's mouth. It's not about how or why it's about guns it's just that it's about guns.

If Obama decided to be a troll and call a press conference just to walk up to a podium only to say the word "gun" and walk away, the media would be in a tizzy trying to assume the intended message, the NRA would throw a fit, Ted Nugent would write a song about it (which would suck ***), and gun and ammo sales would go up, basically the same ***that's been happening for the last 8 years.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2016-01-21 00:15:56  
Jassik said: »

I remember people cheering and clapping when Obama got elected.. Your point?

Not exactly my point, my point is that there are people who will protest anytime anything regarding guns comes out of a politician's mouth. It's not about how or why it's about guns it's just that it's about guns.

If Obama decided to be a troll and call a press conference just to walk up to a podium only to say the word "gun" and walk away, the media would be in a tizzy trying to assume the intended message, the NRA would throw a fit, Ted Nugent would write a song about it (which would suck ***), and gun and ammo sales would go up, basically the same ***that's been happening for the last 8 years.

I guess I don't understand. Your upset because politics?
 Shiva.Viciousss
サーバ: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2016-01-21 00:18:16  
Well if they want to protest not being allowed to bring a gun to a Presidential rally, they should have started oh I don't know 50 years ago? People are very aware they are not allowed to bring guns to certain places, especially gun nuts. They know they can't bring a gun to a baseball game, to a concert, or to a political event. It has nothing to do with liberty, and gun nuts know that, thats why they don't try to bring their guns to places they aren't allowed to.
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2016-01-21 00:30:26  
I remember people cheering and clapping when Obama got elected.. Your point?

That's a little different than circumventing unlawful seizures, due process, and instituting a torture program, but whatever helps you justify your background check "line in the sand".
[+]
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2016-01-21 00:30:54  
Well if they want to protest not being allowed to bring a gun to a Presidential rally, they should have started oh I don't know 50 years ago? People are very aware they are not allowed to bring guns to certain places, especially gun nuts. They know they can't bring a gun to a baseball game, to a concert, or to a political event. It has nothing to do with liberty, and gun nuts know that, thats why they don't try to bring their guns to places they aren't allowed to.
My issue is that people know when you buy a gun, you have to have a background check, a recent executive order extended this to gun shows. It's not really a change just a close of a loophole. Licensed dealers have to do a background check, now private dealers who set up in a gun show do too. I'm not sure why this is such a big deal but to some, it is.

What I think is funny is that people who have no reason to fear rejection will devote hours and even money to go to NRA meetings, rallies, and use internet social media to protest and complain about a process that only takes a few minutes. The question in regards to background checks becomes "Why are you worried?" which the only legitimate answer for is some reason for rejection such as a felony or violent crime on your record or a serious mental issue in which cases you probably need a gun about like a blind man needs a Ferrari.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2016-01-21 00:45:30  
My issue is that people know when you buy a gun, you have to have a background check, a recent executive order extended this to gun shows. It's not really a change just a close of a loophole. Licensed dealers have to do a background check, now private dealers who set up in a gun show do too. I'm not sure why this is such a big deal but to some, it is.

Only dealers that sell more than 100+ guns a year. People that sell less are not required to do a background check. And this whole thing goes on the assumption criminals follow laws. The reason it is a big deal is because it is just one more step taken towards anything bigger.

What I think is funny is that people who have no reason to fear rejection will devote hours and even money to go to NRA meetings, rallies, and use internet social media to protest and complain about a process that only takes a few minutes. The question in regards to background checks becomes "Why are you worried?"

One man signed a piece of paper and limited the 2nd amendment and you are not worried?

The question in regards to background checks becomes "Why are you worried?" Is about as orwellian as you can get.
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2016-01-21 00:58:02  

Only dealers that sell more than 100+ guns a year. People that sell less are not required to do a background check. And this whole thing goes on the assumption criminals follow laws. The reason it is a big deal is because it is just one more step taken towards anything bigger.

What I think is funny is that people who have no reason to fear rejection will devote hours and even money to go to NRA meetings, rallies, and use internet social media to protest and complain about a process that only takes a few minutes. The question in regards to background checks becomes "Why are you worried?"

One man signed a piece of paper and limited the 2nd amendment and you are not worried?

The question in regards to background checks becomes "Why are you worried?" Is about as orwellian as you can get.
Seems more like paranoia to me. Clinton did more to limit the second amendment by banning sales of assault rifles outright. That one man won't be in office much longer so there's a chance that piece of paper will mean very little in the future.

EDIT: ..and yeah, criminals don't follow the law.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2016-01-21 01:09:50  
Seems more like paranoia to me.
Phrase it however you want to help you sleep better at night, but exercising 1st amendment rights is not paranoia.

Clinton did more to limit the second amendment by banning sales of assault rifles outright.
I and many people here were children or teenagers then and had many other things on our minds. I do remember it being a huge deal though and it got a lot of people mad. Perhaps all the "big deal" as you put it is because people don't want to be in that situation anymore.. Makes you wanna rethink that whole paranoia thing huh..

That one man won't be in office much longer so there's a chance that piece of paper will mean very little in the future.
If you want to leave your rights to chance that is your right. Other people tend to not like doing that for some reason.

EDIT: ..and yeah, criminals don't follow the law.
Why make more laws when we don't enforce the ones we have? Why blame guns when criminals are the ones who pull the trigger? We don't blame the bomb, car, knife, or lightsaber. Why make it harder for people who follow the law? You realize all these checks cost money and that is essentially a tax on the 2nd amendment right?

In the end it really isn't even about any of the above it's about control.
 Quetzalcoatl.Tesseracta
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Tussell
By Quetzalcoatl.Tesseracta 2016-01-21 03:58:15  
You are all as stupid as me.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-01-21 07:58:15  
I'm still baffled as to how so many people don't realize that guns are just inexorably tied to masculinity in our country and the bottom line is a bunch of insecure guys feel less like men if they can't be sure that they can "squeeze off a few rounds" whenever they want.

The U.S. does not, and never has had, a gun problem.

We have a multitude of other social problems (violence glorification, media sensationalism, masculinity problems, "cowboy" fantasies, etc.) and gun debates are the lazy (read: American) way of addressing all these issues in the worst way possible.

Much like abortion debates have never been entirely about abortion, etc. It's about being able to control the population and make sure we're "all on the same page socially," (that is, Christian-minded 'murricans) whether we want to be or not.

What's sort of ironic is that if you're anti-gun control, but ardently pro-life, and claim to be in favor of "small government," you're so full of ***you have e-coli bursting out of your eyeballs and don't even realize it.

And in all of this, we see why Trump has a ton of support, even from some democrats. Authoritarianism certainly has its allure if you agree with everything your demagogue is saying. "Yeah, we're all going to be on the same page whether you like it or not."

Social belief rape at its finest.

*seeing that the pot is sufficiently stirred, Rammie goes back to his coffee and paperwork*
By Ramyrez 2016-01-21 08:01:14  
Paged!

In fairness, despite all of us (yes, I'm culpable) wanting desperately for lightsabers to be a real thing, can you even imagine how utterly horrifying it would actually be as a weapon? I mean, it's a thing the government wouldn't just have to regulate, it'd be on the level of surface-to-air missile systems in its clearance requirements. The damage you could cause with a true-to-lore lightsaber is immense.
By fonewear 2016-01-21 08:10:50  
Ramyrez said: »
I'm still baffled as to how so many people don't realize that guns are just inexorably tied to masculinity in our country and the bottom line is a bunch of insecure guys feel less like men if they can't be sure that they can "squeeze off a few rounds" whenever they want.

The U.S. does not, and never has had, a gun problem.

We have a multitude of other social problems (violence glorification, media sensationalism, masculinity problems, "cowboy" fantasies, etc.) and gun debates are the lazy (read: American) way of addressing all these issues in the worst way possible.

Much like abortion debates have never been entirely about abortion, etc. It's about being able to control the population and make sure we're "all on the same page socially," (that is, Christian-minded 'murricans) whether we want to be or not.

What's sort of ironic is that if you're anti-gun control, but ardently pro-life, and claim to be in favor of "small government," you're so full of ***you have e-coli bursting out of your eyeballs and don't even realize it.

And in all of this, we see why Trump has a ton of support, even from some democrats. Authoritarianism certainly has its allure if you agree with everything your demagogue is saying. "Yeah, we're all going to be on the same page whether you like it or not."

*seeing that the pot is sufficiently stirred, Rammie goes back to his coffee and paperwork*

Can you summarize this to 3 words or less so I'll read it ?
By Ramyrez 2016-01-21 08:13:47  
fonewear said: »
Can you summarize this to 3 words or less so I'll read it ?

"America, *** yeah!"
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
サーバ: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2016-01-21 09:28:14  
"Why are you worried?"
It follows the same train of thought as the people who say go ahead and search through my personal effects for no reason because I have nothing to hide.

I'm not saying I completely agree in this particular case of background checks, but just answering the question.

As for my actual opinion of when it comes to gun control, I really don't care either way. Obviously there's got to be some kind of sane limit, like a civilian doesn't need a RPG need to be shooting down police helicopters, etc., but when it comes to regular guns and rifles and such I don't believe limiting, creating new stricter rules, or even enforcing laws already in place will stop mass shootings or even gun crime in general. Well... not completely, but at the end of the day I know people will find a way to cause harm regardless of the device they use.

The closest I can think of is the amount of guns already owned and out on the s streets contributes to the overall problem of violence and shootings obviously to a certain degree, but I believe the problem is more related to society than access to new and 2nd hand gun sales. The only thing gun control legislation and some of the new rules, etc. do is help catch people who already committed a crime, not prevent any crimes. Which is good to an extent, but it's not a silver bullet. And I'm not a gun person at all. I don't hate them, but I not a enthusiast either. I only fired a real sniper rifle and shotgun a few years ago just to see what the big deal was. It was alright and fun way to kill an hour or so.

If anything I think public debates on gun control just stirs up the crazies on both sides and causes gun sales and other self defense tool sales to go up. I think that a public discussion on gun safety and making sure those who own guns take better precautions that other people, especially their kids if they have them, not get a hold of their guns. Have better public discussions on how to make sure your teenager can't easily access your rifle, but how to make sure you have easy access to it in case you need it, and stuff like that.

So that's why I'm worried, lol.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2016-01-21 09:33:08  
I was thinking about replying to your post, until I came to this sentence.

I'm trying to figure out how this works.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
サーバ: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2016-01-21 09:46:58  
you get any mail yet?
By Jetackuu 2016-01-21 09:48:18  
In fairness, despite all of us (yes, I'm culpable) wanting desperately for lightsabers to be a real thing, can you even imagine how utterly horrifying it would actually be as a weapon? I mean, it's a thing the government wouldn't just have to regulate, it'd be on the level of surface-to-air missile systems in its clearance requirements. The damage you could cause with a true-to-lore lightsaber is immense.
The wonderful thing about technology (and horrible) is that once it's open to the public there's no stopping it.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-01-21 09:59:44  
Do they cut or do they burn?
By Ramyrez 2016-01-21 10:00:54  
Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
I was thinking about replying to your post, until I came to this sentence.

I'm trying to figure out how this works.

Ehh. I don't know that it does. I was just sort of letting the running the gamete of social issues at that point for the 'murricaness.

Some of the points I feel are pretty true though. We have a tendency in this country to boil things down to a few key issues and passive-aggressively wedge all the others issues into those "choice" issues in awkward ways, sometimes with varying degrees of guile.
By Ramyrez 2016-01-21 10:01:05  
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Do they cut or do they burn?

Both!
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2016-01-21 10:33:54  
Siren.Mosin said: »
you get any mail yet?
Nothing yet, haven't checked today though.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
サーバ: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2016-01-21 10:50:43  
we're only on day 8 atm. it might be a while yet.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-01-21 11:49:09  
So they finished investigations about Litvinenko(not sure I spelled it right)and they concluded it was issued by Putin.

Now, not that anyone is surprised, but this being sort of officials I had a question: will it have any real bearing? Or it will just end up being another thing that simply works as propaganda against Russia?
 Shiva.Viciousss
サーバ: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2016-01-21 11:57:37  
Nothing is going to come from it, everyday Russian citizens will continue to suffer.
First Page 2 3 ... 1212 1213 1214 ... 1375 1376 1377