Random Politics & Religion #00

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 1164 1165 1166 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-15 15:34:38  
maldini, you of all people shouldn't post that .jpg.

Meh, paged like a mofo.

You guys get some dancing penguins.

[+]
 Phoenix.Amandarius
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-12-15 15:40:46  
Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
Ugh...I'm confused. Are we arguing with people who only attended private, parochial schools, and have made it to adulthood not knowing the difference? What is going on here?

Not sure what's going on. Are people still pretending that singing a song is worship? Are they still twisting the Establishment Clause into their own license to hate? Some people just want the right to never be annoyed but for a hateful, angry person that is impossible.

It's a commentary about how truly delicate Americans have become. It is bad enough that we have raised college students to be completely intolerant of ideas they have been programmed to disagree with. One of the most valuable aspects of education is supposed to be the exposure to different cultures and traditions that are not your own including American traditions. If you think that millennials are a bunch of pussies just wait until the kids in grade school now get to be 25 years old.

Teachable moment:

Student: "What does that mean 'Christ the Savior is born'?"

Teacher: "Oh, Christians believe in a man called Jesus that when he died went to heaven. They believe that if you follow what he taught then they will go to heaven. There are many other religions though that teach many other things."

**And something called education happens**
The arguments are against government endorsement of religion. Don't be dense. I was asked to read the bible as part of a literature class but that was very different from having to sit through a school-wide prayer in the morning.

Talking about singing harmless Christmas songs not prayer, oh Dense One.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-12-15 15:44:34  
If done in an educational context, go nuts. The "harm" comes from government endorsement of religion.
[+]
By maldini 2015-12-15 15:45:40  
Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
Ugh...I'm confused. Are we arguing with people who only attended private, parochial schools, and have made it to adulthood not knowing the difference? What is going on here?

Not sure what's going on. Are people still pretending that singing a song is worship? Are they still twisting the Establishment Clause into their own license to hate? Some people just want the right to never be annoyed but for a hateful, angry person that is impossible.

It's a commentary about how truly delicate Americans have become. It is bad enough that we have raised college students to be completely intolerant of ideas they have been programmed to disagree with. One of the most valuable aspects of education is supposed to be the exposure to different cultures and traditions that are not your own including American traditions. If you think that millennials are a bunch of pussies just wait until the kids in grade school now get to be 25 years old.

Teachable moment:

Student: "What does that mean 'Christ the Savior is born'?"

Teacher: "Oh, Christians believe in a man called Jesus that when he died went to heaven. They believe that if you follow what he taught then they will go to heaven. There are many other religions though that teach many other things."

**And something called education happens**
The arguments are against government endorsement of religion. Don't be dense. I was asked to read the bible as part of a literature class but that was very different from having to sit through a school-wide prayer in the morning.

Talking about singing harmless Christmas songs not prayer, oh Dense One.

Why Christmas songs and not Hindu and Budhist mantra chanting?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-15 15:46:18  
If done in an educational context, go nuts. The "harm" comes from government endorsement of religion.
Let us know when the federal government endorses any religion.
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
サーバ: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-12-15 15:52:48  
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
maldini, you of all people shouldn't post that .jpg.

Meh, paged like a mofo.

You guys get some dancing penguins.

I paged like 3 times in a row yesterday :/
There should be a paged warning before hitting post on a post that will page lol
By charlo999 2015-12-15 15:59:40  
Doesn't every religion pray though?
Could just do a general prayer and have each faith focus it to their God?
Buddhists with their legs folded meditating, Hindus with their beads doing yoga, Muslims doing their floor kissing to standing excersises, facing the cube, at certain times of the sun, making sure they are clothed correctly and washed, while reciting the Quran, telling your good and bad deeds to both Angels over both shoulders, making sure your body is correctly positioned, then asking for forgiveness 3 times afterward in case you've messed anything up, Catholics doing their sign of the cross and Rosemary beads, Christians eyes closed in thought.
Whatever the God that created everything and sees and hears everything demands to have done to be able to lend an ear right?
Those not religious could just see it as a nice gesture for goodwill to others. Not really a big deal. And good to learn and ask about others culture.
[+]

Undelete | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-12-15 17:07:38  
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Let us know when the federal government endorses any religion.
If you're going to be continuing Endoq's argument, can you not?
[+]
By volkom 2015-12-15 17:12:02  
YouTube Video Placeholder
 Ragnarok.Zeig
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2015-12-15 17:21:54  
charlo999 said: »
Muslims doing their floor kissing
We don't kiss no floors!
[+]
By charlo999 2015-12-15 18:31:02  
Ragnarok.Zeig said: »
charlo999 said: »
Muslims doing their floor kissing
We don't kiss no floors!

Lost in translation I think. In the uk putting your head (forehead) on something is kissing it, like a headbutt. Bit of uk slang for you.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
Forum Moderator
サーバ: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2015-12-15 19:52:59  
Well, here we go. The debate is on.

/dropmic

Ack, Chaos, I'm out. Night.
 Bahamut.Ravael
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-12-15 21:03:17  
maldini said: »
Why Christmas songs and not Hindu and Budhist mantra chanting?

Welcome back to the false equivalence show, everybody! Today we have Maldini pretending that Hindu and Buddhist schoolchildren are upset that we sing Frosty the Snowman in the winter instead of chanting mantras.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-12-15 21:32:34  
Have we talk about how the "vetting" process for immigrants doesn't even include looking at what people post on social media because it violates a cornerstone of political correctness?
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-12-15 21:36:25  
Josiahkf said: »
Valefor.Endoq said: »
I would like to use my privilege to get a bunch of free stuff please...

What's this? What do you mean I can't get these benefits because I'm not a "minority"?

This "privilege" ***sucks :(
This will help explain what I mean Senor.

"Privilege: Unearned access to social power based on membership in a dominant social group."

"Privilege" is just the latest mechanism to enable people to feel victimized by traditional culture.

The SJWs are just pawns in a greater game.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2015-12-15 21:51:00  
Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Josiahkf said: »
I would like to use my privilege to get a bunch of free stuff please...

What's this? What do you mean I can't get these benefits because I'm not a "minority"?

This "privilege" ***sucks :(
This will help explain what I mean Senor.

"Privilege: Unearned access to social power based on membership in a dominant social group."

"Privilege" is just the latest mechanism to enable people to feel victimized by traditional culture.

The SJWs are just pawns in a greater game.
The point is stated; a more just and inclusive world for everyone.

It boils down to, would you like to be enlightened with what humanity has to deal with or would you just like to know what your current group of humans deals with.
Most of the "privileged" people SJWs target know about the social issues others deal with, they just aren't allowed to contribute to a dialogue because of the SJW strategy of "shut up and check your privilege" and backing them into a corner with their ears plugged while shouting utter ***.

No, not all white males are born with a silver spoon in their mouths, everyone has problems and most of the SJWs I've seen are on a pity party. These people are more often than not just starved for attention with a bias opinion for one reason or another.
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-12-15 21:51:43  
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Have we talk about how the "vetting" process for immigrants doesn't even include looking at what people post on social media because it violates a cornerstone of political correctness?

Do you have an actual reason why it doesn't include that or are you just going to keep making these stupid statements ad nasium?
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-12-15 21:53:54  
All this pressure to expand our area of concern far past our area of control will ultimately leave us crippled and stagnant. Accomplishing nothing, while worrying about everything.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-12-15 21:56:16  
Lol'd

[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
サーバ: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2015-12-15 21:56:59  
Okay. This has been bugging me for a bit...

(Also I'm not familiar with those customs you listed)

I'm going to preface this with, I'm not an atheist and this isn't coming from a bad place.

You're not familiar with any of the following practices: Baptism/Christening, Communion, Catechism, Confirmation. (I'm kind of glad I didn't throw in a mention of the Sacrament to gauge.)

Now, you're Christian and that's fine and dandy, and how you practice is up to you. But where I'm flummoxed is, how have you not been exposed to any of these words via friends, family and in school when touching on the Reformation? These are all part and parcel to Christianity whether Catholic (Christening/Catechism Catholic exclusive), Lutheran, Anglican, Episcopalian, Methodist, Presbyterian, Baptist, and a bevvy of other denominations.

Are you absolutely serious that you have never heard of any of these practices before today?
[+]
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2015-12-15 21:58:42  
Check my post again. Being a while male had absolutely nothing to do with a class privilege.

Don't act like anyone here claims they are the same thing, that's like claiming there are no poor white people.
I wasn't commenting on your views, I was commenting on the SJW belief system that they alone are the one group knowledgeable on everyone's issues and social status simply by profiling them.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-12-15 22:01:02  
All this pressure to expand our area of concern far past our area of control will ultimately leave us crippled and stagnant. Accomplishing nothing, while worrying about everything.

Nailed it. On top of that, we have a whole lot of dreaming going on about where things should be and practically nobody giving feasible solutions on how to actually get there.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-12-15 22:25:58  
Bahamut.Ravael said: »

Nailed it. On top of that, we have a whole lot of dreaming going on about where things should be and practically nobody giving feasible solutions on how to actually get there.
The solutions are in front of us. "Know what you have so you can understand those that don't have it instead of treat them with discrimination." and the responses from the dominant group is "*** everyone but me."

I can't force any of you to actually care about humanity, all I can do is urge you to.
If you are saying we should give to and have compassion for those who have less than us, then I agree.

Am I still missing your point? Or was that it?
 Shiva.Viciousss
サーバ: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-12-15 23:25:07  
So, how did the debate go? Looks like it focused on security, so I'm sure the candidates just completely failed the facts.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-12-15 23:59:54  
Shiva.Viciousss said: »
So, how did the debate go? Looks like it focused on security, so I'm sure the candidates just completely failed the facts.

"I didn't watch it, but I know they were wrong."

You don't have to show your pre-conceived bias card so early in the game, Vic. At least let the discussion start first.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 1164 1165 1166 ... 1375 1376 1377