Random Politics & Religion #00

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 1158 1159 1160 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Bahamut.Ravael
サーバ: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-12-14 14:48:29  
Yeah, those kids sure need protecting from the holiday songs and decorations that are present practically everywhere and are hurting exactly zero people. Evergreen trees with lights on them are the end of civilized society as we know it.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-14 14:50:38  
Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
So now people are acting oblivious to how school works?

You don't get to up and leave. If you're not made to participate then you're still a captive audience. Not everyone celebrates Jesus's birthday. This is not a hard concept.
Wait, are you telling us that they spring random Christmas Pageants at schools today without warning? Also, that every single student out there has never played hooky in either in the past or today?

Or that parents don't randomly remove their children from situations where they don't agree with school's take on their education or events?

If you really believe all of the above, I have some oceanfront property in Utah to sell to you.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-14 14:52:28  
maldini said: »
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
The force could be coming from the citizens, even the majority of the citizens.
Gasp, society dictating what society wants? What a strange concept!

Gasp, secular democracy protecting the rights of minorities, what a truly anti-American, anti-democratic phenomenon.
Gasp, a society that wants to celebrate a holiday not only is evil, but also harmful for the minority who doesn't want to be included in the events and also not forced to participate in any way shape or form? What a horrible society to live in!

Also, didn't you say that you blocked me since 2014?
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-12-14 14:52:28  
anti-democratic
It is kind of anti-Democratic, hence why we're a Constitutional Republic :P
 Cerberus.Pleebo
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-12-14 14:52:36  
Don't put yourself in a situation that requires you to sing songs you don't want to sing. It's as simple as that.

If you don't want to sing Christmas songs, don't volunteer to be part of a Christmas Pageant.
Or they could just run away.
I was just kidding when I posted this. I really didn't think you'd actually run with it.
[+]
By maldini 2015-12-14 14:53:40  
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Yeah, those kids sure need protecting from the holiday songs and decorations that are present practically everywhere and are hurting exactly zero people. Evergreen trees with lights on them are the end of civilized society as we know it.

The Jews don't recognize Jesus as a Prophet or God, Muslims don't recognize him as a God. It's pretty blasphemous for both groups, in their own religions, to sing praise for a God they don't believe in.
Just as it would blasphemous for a Catholic to be forced to pray to a God 5 times a day they don't believe in.

Where do you draw the line? The constitution and all modern secular democracies made it clear centuries ago.

You establish one religion as the "accepted" norm, and all other religions as "others". Eventually you have people burning down mosques and synagogues and abortion clinics because their God is the official God, and everyone else is either a goyem, or their way towards heaven, or 70 virgins.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-14 14:54:01  
Don't put yourself in a situation that requires you to sing songs you don't want to sing. It's as simple as that.

If you don't want to sing Christmas songs, don't volunteer to be part of a Christmas Pageant.
Or they could just run away.
I was just kidding when I posted this. I really didn't think you'd actually run with it.
Sure, asking if you would just run away is actually continuing the conversation.

But hey, if you hate it so much, why are you still here?
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-12-14 14:55:24  
What am I hating?
[+]
By Enuyasha 2015-12-14 14:58:09  
And a red cup is attacking christianity and starting a war on christmas :) except like, the whole no religion in school thing actually has a purpose and the war on christmas is pure fiction created by people with persecution complexes.

The Jews don't recognize Jesus as a Prophet or God, Muslims don't recognize him as a God. It's pretty blasphemous for both groups, in their own religions, to sing praise for a God they don't believe in.
Just as it would blasphemous for a Catholic to be forced to pray to a God 5 times a day they don't believe in.

Where do you draw the line? The constitution and all modern secular democracies made it clear centuries ago.

You establish one religion as the "accepted" norm, and all other religions as "others". Eventually you have people burning down mosques and synagogues and abortion clinics because their God is the official God, and everyone else is either a goyem, or their way towards heaven, or 70 virgins.
^^^^^^So much.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-14 14:59:27  
What am I hating?
Obviously Christmas songs. I mean, you want to run away from them, right?

If not, then what's your problem? Why are you bitching?
[+]
By maldini 2015-12-14 15:00:59  
What am I hating?

I love christmas songs but I'll defend people's rights to not be forced to sing them and to subscribe to whatever religion they believe in.
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-12-14 15:01:35  
What am I hating?

Running away is just as valid a solution to this topic as it is to slavery.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-14 15:02:20  
What am I hating?

I love christmas songs but I'll defend people's rights to not be forced to sing them and to subscribe to whatever religion they believe in.
You still haven't said how they are forced to participate in something they don't believe in.

Also, whatever happened to blocking me?
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-12-14 15:03:37  
So today I learned that I apparently hate xmas cause I think people shouldn't be forced to partake in christian rituals such as prayer and religious chants.

Oh no..it's happening again..here it comes.. *rolls eyes* ah dammit couldn't avoid it!
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-12-14 15:04:41  

I don't even think you know who you're arguing with anymore. There's so much hyperbole in your posts that you're barely on topic to begin with.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-14 15:05:06  
Bahamut.Milamber said: »
What am I hating?

Ok, if you want to be put into a situation you are uncomfortable (to say the least) in, by all means do it.

While I, if ever in a situation I don't want to be in, would do the smart thing and remove myself from that situation.

If you want to be a dipshit and stay in that situation you don't want to be in, then why should I care?
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-12-14 15:05:18  
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
So today I learned that I apparently hate xmas cause I think people shouldn't be forced to partake in christian rituals such as prayer and religious chants.

Oh no..it's happening again..here it comes.. *rolls eyes* ah dammit couldn't avoid it!

Yup, you're completely off base too because nobody here is suggesting such a thing.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-12-14 15:05:20  
What am I hating?

Because the education system is not about exclusion. Your solution that non-believers should simply opt-out (by ditching, lol) is not a viable one.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-12-14 15:05:36  

Apparently, you could avoid it by running away.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-14 15:07:14  
What am I hating?

Because the education system is not about exclusion. Your solution that non-believers should simply opt-out (by ditching, lol) is not a viable one.
So, give us a real-life example of singing Christmas songs is compulsory to everyone, and that exclusion is not allowed by punishment.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-12-14 15:08:01  
Bahamut.Milamber said: »
What am I hating?

Ok, if you want to be put into a situation you are uncomfortable (to say the least) in, by all means do it.

While I, if ever in a situation I don't want to be in, would do the smart thing and remove myself from that situation.

If you want to be a dipshit and stay in that situation you don't want to be in, then why should I care?
You shouldn't even be put into that situation in the FIRST place. You are utterly missing that point.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-12-14 15:08:39  
Bahamut.Kara said: »
spoken to anyone who was daughters/sons of the confederates maybe you don't know what we are talking about.
I highly doubt you did either.

Considering that any sons or daughters of confederates would be well over 100 years old by now. Grandsons/daughters of confederates maybe, but even then they are well past their shelf date.
Erm, what?

I was referring to the descendent clubs.
http://www.scv.org/
http://www.hqudc.org/
Call them as clubs next time, instead of making it sound like people.
They are people. They are descendents of veterans of the civil war on the confederate side. The Union side also has their own clubs, maybe organization is a better term.

You've never heard of this before?
I'm talking about you referring them as actual sons and daughters of confederates. Like how you said:

spoken to anyone who was daughters/sons of the confederates
You know, the actual people you made it sound like are still alive. Not the grandsons/granddaughters or grandnephews/grandnieces or whatever distant relation they may have. Hell, they are more than likely 3 or 4 generations away from the actual fighters of the confederation.

So, try again next time.
Right, so you've never spoken to someone involved with these organizations because that is how they refer to themselves.

Edit:
I can understand how what I wrote could sound confusing to someone not familiar with the group but many of my peers in school were part of this (on either side) and you used to be able to apply for college scholarships through them, so maybe my exposure level is higher than average
They may reference themselves to be descendants, but to call them actual sons or daughters of the confederate is stretching the truth beyond their breaking point.

But hey, if you want to consider them sons/daughters, go for it. Not the first time you are wrong, and it certainly won't be the last time either.

Taking this out of the EU thread as it is a complete derail.

How many here have never heard the sons/daughters of the confederacy/union?

My exposure through family and friends could be higher than average but everyone I knew referred to their membership as a daughter/son of the confederacy/union.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-12-14 15:09:45  

Yup, you're completely off base too because nobody here is suggesting such a thing.
It's what I said to begin with about the situation here, and for which I've been bitched at.

Go backread, I said clearly it's what happens here.
[+]
By maldini 2015-12-14 15:11:38  

I don't even think you know who you're arguing with anymore. There's so much hyperbole in your posts that you're barely on topic to begin with.

I'm on point. You're just not seeing the greater implications. If you really can't connect, then you don't truly understand why the US was set up to be a secular state in the first place and why religion should be kept out of schools and public institutions.

The state should not favor any religion over another. If you truly believe there is nothing wrong with Christmas songs being sung in schools, then you have to concede you have no problem with school cafeterias being shut during Ramadan and no consumption of food being allowed on campus, no pork and un-kosher food being served throughout the year, and prayer breaks being mandatory throughout the day. Also, no beef served, ever, don't want to offend the hindus.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-12-14 15:11:55  
I was in the top school choir in my city. We were invited to a variety of holiday functions and catered our songs to whomever we were singing for. We had many atheists in the choir and a Jew, and nobody was forced to sing anything that they didn't feel comfortable singing. Nobody opted out because they were more interested in singing for the fun of it and honing their craft instead of whining and complaining. Heck, we even sang Hava Nagila that year and had a blast doing it. Call the freaking wambulance.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-12-14 15:12:27  

I don't even live there and I've heard of organizations like this
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
サーバ: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2015-12-14 15:17:08  
spoken to anyone who was daughters/sons of the confederates maybe you don't know what we are talking about.
I highly doubt you did either.

Considering that any sons or daughters of confederates would be well over 100 years old by now. Grandsons/daughters of confederates maybe, but even then they are well past their shelf date.
Erm, what?

I was referring to the descendent clubs.
http://www.scv.org/
http://www.hqudc.org/
Call them as clubs next time, instead of making it sound like people.
They are people. They are descendents of veterans of the civil war on the confederate side. The Union side also has their own clubs, maybe organization is a better term.

You've never heard of this before?
I'm talking about you referring them as actual sons and daughters of confederates. Like how you said:

spoken to anyone who was daughters/sons of the confederates
You know, the actual people you made it sound like are still alive. Not the grandsons/granddaughters or grandnephews/grandnieces or whatever distant relation they may have. Hell, they are more than likely 3 or 4 generations away from the actual fighters of the confederation.

So, try again next time.
Right, so you've never spoken to someone involved with these organizations because that is how they refer to themselves.

Edit:
I can understand how what I wrote could sound confusing to someone not familiar with the group but many of my peers in school were part of this (on either side) and you used to be able to apply for college scholarships through them, so maybe my exposure level is higher than average
They may reference themselves to be descendants, but to call them actual sons or daughters of the confederate is stretching the truth beyond their breaking point.

But hey, if you want to consider them sons/daughters, go for it. Not the first time you are wrong, and it certainly won't be the last time either.

My exposure through family and friends could be higher than average but everyone I knew referred to their membership as a daughter/son of the confederacy/union.

DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution) and Daughters of the Texas Republic. Haven't heard a peep about these since scholarship hunting.

Need to sneak over to the other thread, I guess. :/

EDIT: Woah! Woah! Woah! This in conjunction with other blurbs on here have me under the assumption that KN wasn't much of an over-achiever in preparation for college.

No amount of trying to flip the script on Kara can cover for your ignorance of these organizations.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
サーバ: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-12-14 15:21:46  
I was in the top school choir in my city. We were invited to a variety of holiday functions and catered our songs to whomever we were singing for. We had many atheists in the choir and a Jew, and nobody was forced to sing anything that they didn't feel comfortable singing. Nobody opted out because they were more interested in singing for the fun of it and honing their craft instead of whining and complaining. Heck, we even sang Hava Nagila that year and had a blast doing it. Call the freaking wambulance.

Thats a nice story but what does it have to do with religion in schools?
[+]
 Bahamut.Omael
user: Omael
By Bahamut.Omael 2015-12-14 15:24:20  

A couple of my siblings and their friends and family are members of the SCV. They stopped inviting me to their Confederate Heroes' Day gathering once they figured out why I was wearing a white shirt every time.
[+]
By maldini 2015-12-14 15:25:36  
change of pace and a bit of comedy (I really did LOL @ Dopey)

Quote:
Donald Trump in spat with 'dopey' Saudi Prince as Muslim row rumbles on
Prince Al-Waleed bin Talal, whose wealth dwarfs even that of Mr Trump, uses Twitter to call on Republican front-runner a disgrace to all America

Donald Trump, the Republican presidential candidate who has shot to the head of the polls with a campaign based on hyperbole and bombast, has done it again, this time engaing in a very public slanging match with a Saudi prince.
Prince Al-Waleed bin Talal, who is thought to be worth $32 billion (£21 billion), called on the Republican frontrunner to withdraw from the race following his demand that Muslims to be banned from entering the US.

The prince, who does not hold an official government position, built his wealth through seed money from his father and a series of smart investments.
His investment firm, Kingdom Holding, owns stakes in hotels like The Four Seasons, Fairmont and Raffles - the sort of upmarket venues that Mr Trump would surely covet.

Intriguingly, his media holdings include a considerable stake in the parent company of Fox News, one of Mr Trump's frequent platforms.
Earlier this year the prince said he would be giving away all his money to charity.
In contrast, Mr Trump claims to be worth $9 billion - also built from a $1 million loan from his father - but four of his companies have claimed bankruptcy.
On Friday night, he responded to Prince Al-Waleed in typically unrestained style.

Mr Trump's comments have already cost him business in the Middle East, with a major chain of department stores halting sales of his glitzy "Trump Home" line of lamps, mirrors and jewellery boxes.
On Thursday, Dubai real estate firm Damac, which is building a $6 billion golf complex with Mr Trump, stripped the property of his name and image.
It is just the latest in a series of Twitter spats for Mr Trump, whose campaign uses outrage to generate headlines and keep the 69-year-old on television talk shows.
This week a petition to keep him out of the UK passed 500,000 signatures, raising the prospect of a parliamentary debate.

So far, however, each controversy has failed to dent his lead. In fact, the latest polls suggest Republican voters broadly support his proposal to keep out Muslims in the wake of terrorist attacks in Paris and California.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/donald-trump/12047322/Donald-Trump-calls-Saudi-Prince-dopey-as-Muslim-row-rumbles-on.html
First Page 2 3 ... 1158 1159 1160 ... 1375 1376 1377