Random Politics & Religion #00

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 1156 1157 1158 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Valefor.Endoq
サーバ: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-12-14 01:01:57  
Shiva.Viciousss said: »
GOP lineup announced for CNN Debate (12/15/15)

9 people again. Too many if it is going to be a 2 hour debate. I hope CNN learned from the first debate they hosted. 3 hour debate, with a 10 minute intermission in the middle. Let the candidates leave the stage, sit down, get a drink, and then come back out. Can easily fill that 10 mins with analysis.
But if its only a 2 hour debate, there will be quite a few candidates that only see single digits of speaking time, and they will be fighting to be heard the entire time.
Looks like a menorah lol
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-12-14 01:21:45  
Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Fox News story:
Quote:
Santa Claus is banned. The Pledge of Allegiance is no longer recited. “Harvest festival” has replaced Thanksgiving, and “winter celebrations” substitute for Christmas parties.

New principal Eujin Jaela Kim has given PS 169 in Sunset Park, Brooklyn, a politically correct scrub-down, to the dismay of teachers and parents.

“We definitely can’t say Christmas, nothing with Christmas on it, nothing with Santa,” PTA President Mimi Ferrer said administrators told her. “No angels. We can’t even have a star because it can represent a religious system, like the Star of David.”

Kim, 33, did not return a call or e-mail seeking comment.

A memo last month from assistant principal Jose Chaparro suggested a “harvest festival instead of Thanksgiving or a winter celebration instead of a Christmas party.” He urged staff to “be sensitive of the diversity of our families. Not all children celebrate the same holidays.”

Ninety-five percent of the 1,600 kids at PS 169 are Asian or Hispanic.
School principal bans Santa, Thanksgiving and Pledge of Allegiance

Harvest festival is moronic. Thanksgiving is a US holiday, it's not religious in nature.

Christmas, however, is completely correct. While Santa might not be strictly religious, as depictions of him vary vastly and are found in all kinds of cultures, "christmas"/angels/"under god" are all absolutely off-limits in a public school. If kids want to say a prayer or tell each other "merry christmas", that's fine, but the school can't be involved.

I wonder how those outraged parents and students would feel if they also put up decorations and celebrated Mawlid al-Nabi (muhammad's birthday).
 Bahamut.Ravael
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-12-14 01:38:03  
Yeah, I can't imagine anything more detrimental to a child's devolopment than the mention of a holiday that practically everyone in the U.S. celebrates, even if only in a secular nature.

Whatever, let this school do what it wants. I'm glad a vast majority of other schools will still be able to operate with some common sense.

Jassik said: »
I wonder how those outraged parents and students would feel if they also put up decorations and celebrated Mawlid al-Nabi (muhammad's birthday).

One form of stupidity is not erased by the stupidity of the opposition. I've seen multiple instances of schools that catered to the diversity of their own student bodies when it came to holidays and I never heard anyone complain. Instead of celebrating diversity, let's just whitewash it so nobody gets their feels hurt, amirite?
VIP
By Jassik 2015-12-14 01:55:09  
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Yeah, I can't imagine anything more detrimental to a child's devolopment than the mention of a holiday that practically everyone in the U.S. celebrates, even if only in a secular nature.

Whatever, let this school do what it wants. I'm glad a vast majority of other schools will still be able to operate with some common sense.

One form of stupidity is not erased by the stupidity of the opposition. I've seen multiple instances of schools that catered to the diversity of their own student bodies when it came to holidays and I never heard anyone complain. Instead of celebrating diversity, let's just whitewash it so nobody gets their feels hurt, amirite?

It's not about whether it's detrimental to the children's development. It is unlawful for any publicly owned organization to endorse any religious symbolism or verbiage. Christmas with Santa and the North Pole and all that jazz isn't necessarily religious, but when you throw in Jesus and angels, it's unlawful.

I said they're being obtuse with the "harvest festival" and whatnot, it's ridiculous. But, even if there's an element of "feelz" in their idea of diversity, not displaying religious symbolism in school isn't "feelz" it's the law. The same law that grants religious people the right to practice their religion bars it from being endorsed by the state. You just can't have it both ways. Don't minimize the importance of a secular government just because you're in the majority.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-12-14 02:08:35  
Bahamut.Ravael said: »

It's not about whether it's detrimental to the children's development. It is unlawful for any publicly owned organization to endorse any religious symbolism or verbiage. Christmas with Santa and the North Pole and all that jazz isn't necessarily religious, but when you throw in Jesus and angels, it's unlawful.

I said they're being obtuse with the "harvest festival" and whatnot, it's ridiculous. But, even if there's an element of "feelz" in their idea of diversity, not displaying religious symbolism in school isn't "feelz" it's the law. The same law that grants religious people the right to practice their religion bars it from being endorsed by the state. You just can't have it both ways. Don't minimize the importance of a secular government just because you're in the majority.

I draw a clear distinction between endorsing religion and acknowledging its existence. If a public school hung a giant "Jesus is the reason for the season" banner, I would call that highly inappropriate. Allowing Christmas decorations but disallowing Hanukkah decorations? Highly inappropriate. Having a student choir sing "Silent Night" at a Christmas concert as part of a program of classic Christmas songs? Who the frick cares, get over it. Doing what that principal did is a solution for feeble minds who can only handle black and white extremes.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-12-14 02:17:52  
Those feeble minds sue and win because they're right. I'm sure you would rather have no christmas in school than have them paying out large chunks of an already meager budget in judgments and legal fees.

The guy went a little overboard, but that's the nature of today's litigious society.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-12-14 06:00:29  
I think decorations and stuff for xmas are fine, it's all pagan anyway and something that just creates a pleasant atmosphere and offends no one. Though, at least over here, children are forced to sing religious xmas songs(and sometimes pray too), and that is most definetely not fine.
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-12-14 09:09:11  
Valefor.Endoq said: »
Shiva.Viciousss said: »
GOP lineup announced for CNN Debate (12/15/15)

Looks like a menorah lol
Can I light them on fire?
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
サーバ: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-12-14 09:17:23  
Garuda.Chanti said: »
Can I light them on fire?

only if you scream "nobody move, we're here for your money!!!" first squeaky fromme
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-12-14 09:18:05  
Those feeble minds sue and win because they're right. I'm sure you would rather have no christmas in school than have them paying out large chunks of an already meager budget in judgments and legal fees.

Lol. They're "right"? Let's take a look at one of the few cases that the Supreme Court actually heard. Lynch v. Donnelly
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-14 09:25:24  
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Though, at least over here, children are forced to sing religious xmas songs(and sometimes pray too), and that is most definetely not fine.
If you say so.

I never knew that Christmas could be considered so evil to certain people...
[+]
 Phoenix.Amandarius
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-12-14 09:32:07  
If it is something that a liberal finds annoying, it is evil.

Oh look happy people celebrating Christmas. I am miserable. LETS GET 'EM!
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
サーバ: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2015-12-14 09:35:42  
someone quick play some christmas music, these guys are getting feisty.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-14 09:37:58  
Let her worry about her own issues.

As long as she doesn't demand us to change to her ways, then she can *** about anything she wants.
 Shiva.Nikolce
サーバ: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-12-14 09:41:43  
Siren.Mosin said: »
someone quick play some music, these guys are getting feisty.

PARKER Edit: see what happens when you take out christmas!!!!

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-12-14 09:42:40  
My post wasn't hard to read, try again and notice how I said there's nothing wrong with xmas decorations around the school, but nobody should be forced into religious rituals(such as songs about Jesus and praying).

Wow 3 of you couldn't read two sentences.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-14 09:50:11  
My post wasn't hard to read, try again and notice how I said there's nothing wrong with xmas decorations around the school, but nobody should be forced into religious rituals(such as songs about Jesus and praying).

Wow 3 of you couldn't read two sentences.
No, we read your sentence just fine.

Maybe you should read what I quoted you in saying.

Do you need me to hold your hand and help you read what you wrote? I could also give you a cookie and tell you what a good little girl you are for reading what you wrote.
By volkom 2015-12-14 09:58:50  
Read that an SAS sniper took out 5 guys with 3 bullets. Thought it was pretty dope that 1 bullet killed 3 of them.
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-12-14 10:41:47  
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Though, at least over here, children are forced to sing religious xmas songs(and sometimes pray too), and that is most definetely not fine.
If you say so.

Not evil, just compulsory and unavoidable.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-14 10:48:45  
If you say so.

Then why is it being demonized?

How harmful is it to sing "Silent Night" anyway?
By Jetackuu 2015-12-14 10:58:22  
Fox News story:
Quote:
Santa Claus is banned. The Pledge of Allegiance is no longer recited. “Harvest festival” has replaced Thanksgiving, and “winter celebrations” substitute for Christmas parties.

New principal Eujin Jaela Kim has given PS 169 in Sunset Park, Brooklyn, a politically correct scrub-down, to the dismay of teachers and parents.

“We definitely can’t say Christmas, nothing with Christmas on it, nothing with Santa,” PTA President Mimi Ferrer said administrators told her. “No angels. We can’t even have a star because it can represent a religious system, like the Star of David.”

A memo last month from assistant principal Jose Chaparro suggested a “harvest festival instead of Thanksgiving or a winter celebration instead of a Christmas party.” He urged staff to “be sensitive of the diversity of our families. Not all children celebrate the same holidays.”

Rally up the Starbucks cup crowd, the "war on Christmas" continues!
By maldini 2015-12-14 11:34:58  
Fox News story:
Quote:

At first I thought this was a bit much. Even over here in the UAE we have all the malls playing xmas songs and trees decorated everywhere. At work, we just drew secret santas today and in the mornings from 8 am to 8:30 am the office speakers play xmas songs.

And this is officially a Muslim country. But we respect other people's beliefs and traditions and want them to feel as much at home as possible.

But after reading the debate between Jassik and Ravael, I have realized that it is actually best to remove all religious branding from schools.

I view religion as something very personal. But have seen how it can be politicized, commercialized and used to manipulate the masses. When used in such ways, it can create intolerance and xenophobia. this coming from a spiritual and strong muslim might sound alien, but a lot of us feel that way. You can't market religion. You can only make it accessible to those who want it. If one really wants to market religion, let them do so by being a living embodiment of that religion's values and principles.

My opinion has also changed because I believe religion is sacred and not something to be commercialized and monetized. I have seen my own religion manipulated by all sides to justify their ambitions.

Christians, in my opinion, who really hold their religion sacred should feel the same way. Christmas season is all about the $$$ for corporations. There's nothing to stop individuals from gathering with their families during the christmas season and appreciating everything it represents. But it shouldn't be given more space and voice than any other religion. Let people choose their own beliefs.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-12-14 11:58:36  

French teacher invented Aubervilliers school attack

Quote:
A teacher at a French preschool who said he had been stabbed by a man shouting "Islamic State" has admitted he made the story up, prosecutors say.

The teacher said he had been attacked while alone in a classroom in Aubervilliers, a suburb of Paris.

But prosecutors said he had wounded himself with a box cutter and was now being questioned as to why he lied.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-12-14 12:39:55  
If you say so.

Anything that promotes silent peaceful nights that share love and presents is inherently evil I tells ya !
[+]
By fonewear 2015-12-14 12:43:47  
I'd do so far as we should ban Christmas lest people get offended by all the good will and cheer among men. That is very sexist !
By fonewear 2015-12-14 12:49:05  
While we are at banning offensive things can we ban FFXIAH (think was already suggested but was good idea) from the internet someone might get offended.

South Park knows what to do for those offended by Christmas:

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Bismarck.Dracondria
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-12-14 12:58:42  
I think decorations and stuff for xmas are fine, it's all pagan anyway and something that just creates a pleasant atmosphere and offends no one. Though, at least over here, children are forced to sing religious xmas songs(and sometimes pray too), and that is most definetely not fine.

We sing songs too and have a Lucia procession but it's not religious in nature anymore (hasn't been for quite a while). Some of the songs are Christian but no one thinks of it that way these days.

It's this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkTVT59wfYQ

Christmas over here isn't about Jesus or anything Christian, it's about family and the giant Yule Goat

[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-12-14 13:05:44  
If you say so.

Because it is compulsory and unavoidable? Would you be comfortable with being forced to sing songs that worship any particular deity?
Why not Cthulu?
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-12-14 13:08:30  
#banyulegoats
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker