Random Politics & Religion #00

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 1088 1089 1090 ... 1375 1376 1377
By Bloodrose 2015-11-19 17:24:14  
Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Internment camps for freedom! 'merka.
I read this as "internet camp for fat kids!" 'Murica. at first.
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-11-19 20:57:49  
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Phoenix.Xantavia said: »
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Hey if I put down a bowl of M&Ms and told you that one percent of them could be poisonous, how many would you eat?
If I told you 1% of gun owners would use them to kill, how many people would you allow to own a gun?
If I told you that 1% of humans would kill another, how many people would you allow to live?
That's about the odds of it.

How are you going to separate the wolves from the sheep?
 Bismarck.Magnuss
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2015-11-19 21:00:17  
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Phoenix.Xantavia said: »
Hey if I put down a bowl of M&Ms and told you that one percent of them could be poisonous, how many would you eat?
If I told you 1% of gun owners would use them to kill, how many people would you allow to own a gun?
If I told you that 1% of humans would kill another, how many people would you allow to live?
How much wood can a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
 Phoenix.Amandarius
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-11-19 21:17:55  
Enuyasha said: »
Bahamut.Milamber said: »
Bahamut.Milamber said: »
All of them.

The article that you got the information from probably would have mentioned that the "poison" only made you pee blue.
Plus, I'm not allergic to peanuts.
You'd willingly eat poison then. Good job! Anything for the cause of liberalism.
A less than 100% chance that 1% of a bowl of M&Ms (which probably has less than 100 M&Ms in it)?

That's more like eating M&M for the cause of probability and statistics.
I keep seeing this bowl of M&Ms rhetoric and im just like "Who eats handfuls of M&Ms from a bowl?"

M&Ms should be poured into a cup and sipped or gulped while driving.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-11-19 21:42:58  
Go take your "for the children" BS elsewhere.
Christian values
Anyway, that's some pretty badass child recruitment if they can train the kiddos to fool their way through a U.N. screening and a series of interviews by professional U.S. intelligence agents. You sound ridiculous.

Wouldn't be surprised if his parents are dead and he's orphan...

You are so devout to Obama's grand wisdom that you won't even believe your own eyes.
 Shiva.Viciousss
サーバ: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-11-19 21:44:53  
Careful nausi, he might shoot you through the computer screen.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-11-19 21:46:23  
Caitsith.Shiroi said: »

Sounds very alarmist. What if I told you eating meat increase chances of cancer, would you still eat meat?

False equivalence, eating meat doesn't cause cancer. Poison is poison.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-11-19 21:50:20  
So how much are people here willing to concede for the illusion of absolute safety?
What are we conceding at all here? The right to feel smug and noble about bringing in 10s of thousands of unskilled welfare-for-life refugees like the Tszarnaev bros?
[+]
 Phoenix.Xantavia
user: xantavia
By Phoenix.Xantavia 2015-11-19 23:30:10  
Go take your "for the children" BS elsewhere.
Christian values
Anyway, that's some pretty badass child recruitment if they can train the kiddos to fool their way through a U.N. screening and a series of interviews by professional U.S. intelligence agents. You sound ridiculous.

You are so devout to Obama's grand wisdom that you won't even believe your own eyes.
I guess its only bad to pose for a photo with a gun if you aren't american.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
サーバ: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-11-20 00:13:16  
Quote:
Pastafarian allowed to wear colander for license photo
 Bahamut.Kara
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-11-20 00:21:06  

Nausi.

This is not the first time there have been child soliders.

If the US accepts former child soliders as refugees, that will not be a first either.

There are specific organizations in the US -and throughout the world- designed to help child soliders recover from the indoctrination and horrors they experienced on the battlefield.

Have children killed US citizens before? Yes. Usually soliders abroad.

Is that likely to happen again at some point? Yes.

Does that mean we stop trying to help the ones that we can? I don't think so. But after reading your comments I think we probably disagree on this.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-11-20 00:38:15  
So how much are people here willing to concede for the illusion of absolute safety?
What are we conceding at all here? The right to feel smug and noble about bringing in 10s of thousands of unskilled welfare-for-life refugees like the Tszarnaev bros?
Are you saying all refugees live on welfare for life? That the US has never benefited from refugees?
[+]

Undelete | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-11-20 02:38:56  

It's more the left overcompensating for almost three years of ignoring the plight of the Syrian people because Obama drew a red line then backed down. Unfortunately, in their usual fashion they have to be extremely divisive and inflammatory. There is a lot of common ground on this issue. Nearly everyone agrees that we want to help Syrian refugees, but in the times we live in it is prudent to take extra caution when bringing in people from this particular region. It is not Xenophobic. It is not Islamophobic. It is not racist. But this is what is said about people that want to take extra caution when screening people from Syria. We are dealing with an enemy of all humanity whose tactics are to blend in and carry out suicide attacks against civilians. We only have to go back one week to see the devastation that one bad Syrian refugee can cause that slips through screening.

There is zero reason that this should be a divisive issue. Even after 7 years of President Obama, politicizing this surprised me.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-11-20 05:21:16  
No one claimed to be against screening the refugees, it's only intelligent to do so. I don't see where this divisiveness even is on that.

eating meat doesn't cause cancer.
I know reality is bad, but we already explained to you that a diet high on red meat increases your chances of developing cancer. It's unhealthy.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-11-20 05:27:40  
Meanwhile they have taken 170 hostages in a hotel in Mali, 3 persons killed so far. They're releasing everyone who shows to able to recite the quran.
 Bismarck.Leneth
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Leneth 2015-11-20 06:39:04  
Quote:
Poison is poison.
I know some users get easily drawn into frequency fights, but when something like this is typed in the reply box, one should come to their senses. Take a break for a few minutes and type something else once one comes back. It will help.
[+]
By volkom 2015-11-20 08:28:16  
Quote:
Skanky suicide bomber used to be a selfie-taking party animal...
She was hardly a model Muslim before she became an ISIS suicide bomber — drinking booze, hanging out with drug dealers and posing for naked photos in a bubble bath...
When a cop yelled out, “Where’s your boyfriend?” she answered, “He’s not my boyfriend!” according to a recording that also captured the sound of roaring gunfire.

Aitboulahcen then emptied the magazine of a Kalashnikov assault rifle before blowing herself up and becoming Europe’s first female suicide bomber.

stuff

Question. What drives people to blow themselves up?
By Ramyrez 2015-11-20 08:30:49  
volkom said: »
Question. What drives people to blow themselves up?

Fervent beliefs to something bigger than themselves.

When you truly believe you're doing the right thing -- and especially when you think it's an act your god will smile upon and allow you into paradise -- it's probably a lot easier than you think. It's like a ranger jumping on a grenade to save the rest of their squad. It's a viewed as a heroic thing to do in our culture. Similarly, in theirs, sacrificing yourself to take out enemies -- or even attempting to do so and failing -- is a glorious act.

I'd post a cracked article that's actually fairly serious, but I don't know how seriously it'd be taken by anyone. If you're interested go look it up though. One of their columnists read through a bunch of issues of ISIS' magazine and provides some pretty enlightening feedback and info about it.
By Jetackuu 2015-11-20 08:34:26  
Apparently, radical religion.
By Jetackuu 2015-11-20 08:35:31  
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
I know reality is bad, but we already explained to you that a diet high on red meat increases your chances of developing cancer. It's unhealthy.
some studies have shown*
By Ramyrez 2015-11-20 08:36:59  
Jetackuu said: »
Apparently, radical religion.

Religion certainly makes it easier if you think there's an afterlife waiting to reward you, but I'd posit that it's quite possible to do so without that aspect as well if there are other perceived rewards.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-11-20 08:37:40  

I ask that question all the time.
By Ramyrez 2015-11-20 08:39:34  
some studies have shown*

Aye. Correlation does not equal causation, but there is some very compelling correlation, enough to at least work on the premise that it does increase your risk. Specifically, flame char on red meat.

That said, cancer is a multi-factorial issue with a host of contributors. The very air you breath. The water you drink. Etc. Almost too many to count.

I, for one, am going to keep eating my flame-grilled burgers and steaks because they're *** delicious and life is only so long even in the ideal circumstances.
[+]
Administrator
サーバ: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2015-11-20 08:40:04  
Ramyrez said: »

This is the answer.

It doesn't even have to be religion (though that's certainly the most recent, and obvious example). People have found reasons to sacrifice themselves for as long as there have been people. It doesn't matter whether it's religion, patriotism, or anything else - if someone believes strongly enough in something that transcends them, and feels it can be advanced further by their death than their life, then that's what is going to happen.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-11-20 08:40:11  

I ask that question all the time.

I ask it most frequently at hockey games getting felt up by arena security.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-11-20 08:42:00  
Drama Torama said: »
Ramyrez said: »

This is the answer.

It doesn't even have to be religion (though that's certainly the most recent, and obvious example). People have found reasons to sacrifice themselves for as long as there have been people. It doesn't matter whether it's religion, patriotism, or anything else - if someone believes strongly enough in something that transcends them, and feels it can be advanced further by their death than their life, then that's what is going to happen.

And, as I said, sometimes those people actually are right. At least as far as our society holds such things. We frequently hold in high esteem and honor people who have sacrificed themselves to save others, putting their own life on the line -- or giving it up -- in favor of a greater number or in favor of a life deemed more valuable.

I strongly, vehemently disagree with suicide bombers intentions, actions, and beliefs.

But I understand what makes them think that way.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-11-20 08:43:31  
They use specific drugs that remove fear and give a sense of invincibility to do it, they wouldn't be able otherwise.
By Ramyrez 2015-11-20 08:46:37  
They use specific drugs that remove fear and give a sense of invincibility to do it, they wouldn't be able otherwise.

You give human willpower too little credit, though it certainly is the case some of the time that there's a bit of chemical assistance.
Administrator
サーバ: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2015-11-20 08:50:03  

Wait, what?

Okay, so, coming back to reality for a moment, the motivations for suicide bombers vary between fervent belief, actual nihilism, and in a lot of cases, familial motivation.

The families of suicide bombers often get sizable payouts, and that could mean all sorts of things to a poor family - being able to move out of a dangerous neighborhood/region/country, getting a child/nephew/etc into a school abroad, any of a hundred "this money will get my family a better life" applications. Think of it as the world's most violent life insurance. These sums are often multiple times what a family could earn in a year, and when you're that desperate and poor? That could change the lives of literally everyone you love. You think there are people who won't sign up for that?
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 1088 1089 1090 ... 1375 1376 1377