Random Politics & Religion #00

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 1052 1053 1054 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
サーバ: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-10-30 09:42:55  
Shiva.Nikolce said: »
and am I the only one that thinks "the great wall of america" has a nice ring to it?

I would totally pack up the family into the station wagon and go see that ***...

walk across the top of it for half a mile.

toss some bread crumbs to the poor children on the other side...

look through those binocular stand things you have to stick a quarter in to get them to work...

Work out how you're going to get Mexico to pay for it. Join the Trump delegation as you march to the capital and demand payments for the wall and the subsequent laughter as Mexico laughs you off their territory.

It'll be almost as hilarious as when Herman Cain quoted a great poet who happened to write the lyrics for Pokemon 2000.
 Shiva.Nikolce
サーバ: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-10-30 09:43:11  
Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Quote:
think about it for a minute. who could it possibly benefit to stick an innocent man in jail?

Kids for cash scandal.

wish I had horned in on that deal....

/reads about it
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-10-30 09:47:42  
Join the Trump delegation

it's sounding better all the time...

no I mean trump's enemies named it the "great wall of america" it's supposed to be a "put down" illustrating what a huge waste of time and resources...

but I think it has a nice ring to it and people are going to want to go see it now...

you have to remember people like me are idiots and are easily lured by shiny things
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-10-30 09:52:13  
Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
why would you assume they are innocent if they copped a plea deal?

that makes no sense.

Extremely overworked public defenders who convince people to take a deal instead of risking it at trial because they have so many cases they can't provide an adequate defense

yeah because it looks great when the lawyers lose all their cases everyone wants to hire a lazy *** that never goes to trial... >.> again makes no sense

what scenario is more likely

A.) they suggest people caught red handed to cop a plea deal rather than hope for a miracle

B.) they think everyone is guilty of something anyways and prison will be good for them and they love losing cases
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-10-30 09:52:54  
We already have a Great Wall of America thanks, it's called Black Friday shoppers in the Best Buy parking lot.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-10-30 09:53:05  
Jassik said: »
How is the prospect that nearly a quarter million Americans are in prison wrongly not shocking? Or do you just assume that they must have done something else they didn't get caught for?

We already have a Great Wall of America thanks, it's called Black Friday shoppers in the Best Buy parking lot.

I bet you two hand out fruit on Halloween.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-10-30 09:55:29  
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
How is the prospect that nearly a quarter million Americans are in prison wrongly not shocking? Or do you just assume that they must have done something else they didn't get caught for?

I bet you two hand out fruit on Halloween.

Communist Manifestos actually.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-10-30 09:57:37  
hire a lazy *** that never goes to trial

It's a public defender, the poor people who can't afford a proper lawyer don't have any other choice. These people work hundreds of cases, sometimes up to a thousand cases a year when they should be working maybe 150 a year

They pressure their clients into taking a plea bargain instead of going to trial because if they do go to trial they might end up with something worse. They are severely underfunded and understaffed
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-10-30 09:58:19  

you're thinking way too small!

we can have gate guards and changing of the guard ceremonies like in korea!!!

YouTube Video Placeholder

LOOK AT THOSE *** HATS!!!! THEY ARE AWESOME!!!
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-10-30 10:03:02  

It's a public defender

you are a HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE bear. public defenders are kids just out of law school it's like an internship. they have to do well to get hired elsewhere.

it doesn't serve them to throw cases. they are going to fight any case they think they can win because it makes them look LIKE GOOD LAWYERS.

they go to school for umpteen years and take oaths to fairly represent their clients and stuff.

the public defender's office aren't fielded by jackhole couch potatoes who love throwing in the towel...
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-10-30 10:03:06  
Some people plead guilty to crimes because they can't pay the bail, if they claim they're innocent and sit in jail they can lose their job or housing (if it's transitional housing). Then they also have a record after which will make it even more difficult for them. Your system is very harsh on poor people.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-10-30 10:06:57  

It's a public defender

you are a HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE bear. public defenders are kids just out of law school it's like an internship. they have to do well to get hired elsewhere.

it doesn't serve them to throw cases. they are going to fight any case they think they can win because it makes them look LIKE GOOD LAWYERS.

they go to school for umpteen years and take oaths to fairly represent their clients and stuff.

the public defender's office aren't fielded by jackhole couch potatoes who love throwing in the towel...

Taking a plea deal is not the same as losing a case at trial
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-10-30 10:07:14  
Some people plead guilty to crimes because they can't pay the bail, if they claim they're innocent and sit in jail they can lose their job or housing (if it's transitional housing). Then they also have a record after which will make it even more difficult for them. Your system is very harsh on poor people.

I know that you want to believe that. It's called confirmation bias. America is a bad place full of evil rich people that get off putting poor people in jail...

we don't want to pay for FOOD STAMPS jackass

what makes you think we want to pay for their room and board too?
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-10-30 10:09:14  
Taking a plea deal is not the same as losing a case at trial

dude it's losing.

in sweden you probably get off on losing because you all suck.

this is america. we hate losing anything.

YouTube Video Placeholder
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-30 10:31:21  
Our legal system was constructed to keep innocent people out of jail

I'm going to stop you right here because this is my point.

I like how your numbers climbed from 50k-100k to 250k overnight lol

why would you assume they are innocent if they copped a plea deal?

that makes no sense.

think about it for a minute. who could it possibly benefit to stick an innocent man in jail?

and think about this one. OJ had great lawyers and got off for a double murder he absolutely committed.

do you think OJ is innocent?

Your purposely twisting my words. 50-100k is the DoJ's projection of people in prison who are outright innocent. I was talking about people who received harsh sentences either because they lacked adequate counsel or took bad pleas because they lacked the resources to fight charges. Disparate sentencing is well in excess of 250k. And the vast majority of those prisoners pose zero flight risk and removing them from society only serves to drive them into further criminal activity because they can no longer get legitimate work.

Do you think you should be locked into minimum wage dead end jobs for life because you were caught with some weed as a teenager?
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-10-30 10:33:06  
Do you think you should be locked into minimum wage dead end jobs for life because you were caught with some weed as a teenager?

Better than the guy who was caught with 3 ounces of crack and got life in prison

Or the guy who sold small amounts of marijuana when he was 24 years old and happened to have a gun in his possession. He was sentenced to 55 years in prison with no possibility of parole
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-10-30 10:35:59  

Yes, unless you're rich. Then mommy and daddy can play the affluenza card. If you're poor then *** off and die mate, presumably after someones made a bunch of money warehousing you in a prison. Stop breaking the law and we wouldn't have to oneshot your life with a 2k AOE to the 'nads.

There's no forgiveness in America unless you're a mildly famous star caught banging the maid then we want to know just how many times you baned and in what positions before giving you a pass. Were you also on dope? Even more forgiveness. But under NO circumstances are you allowed to bang the campaign assistant while your wife is legit dying cause cmon man, have some class.
By Jetackuu 2015-10-30 10:40:36  

I know that you want to believe that. It's called confirmation bias. America is a bad place full of evil rich people that get off putting poor people in jail...

we don't want to pay for FOOD STAMPS jackass

what makes you think we want to pay for their room and board too?
Because some of them make a fortune on it and then evade their taxes.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-10-30 10:44:23  

Better than the guy who was caught with 3 ounces of crack and got life in prison

Is that excessive? Probably. But not reporting the other facts associated with the case is misleading. It was meth. It was closer to 4 ounces. It was enough for about 30-60 sales. His sentence was compounded due to Oklahoma's 3-strikes law (and thus he had previous convictions, including wife battery and weapons violations). He was found with a loaded handgun on the last drug arrest, despite being under court supervision.

It makes for a more informed opinion when you take the time to look at the whole picture.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-10-30 10:46:36  

are you saying that if I get caught with weed as a teenager I am too stupid to start my own business? or save money? or work more than one job?
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-10-30 10:51:03  

are you saying that if I get caught with weed as a teenager I am too stupid to start my own business? or save money? or work more than one job?

Everyone knows that nobody who has ever been caught smoking weed has ever made more than minimum wage.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-10-30 10:51:23  
Bahamut.Ravael said: »

Is that excessive? Probably. But not reporting the other facts associated with the case is misleading. It was meth. It was closer to 4 ounces. It was enough for about 30-60 sales. His sentence was compounded due to Oklahoma's 3-strikes law (and thus he had previous convictions, including wife battery and weapons violations). He was found with a loaded handgun on the last drug arrest, despite being under court supervision.

It makes for a more informed opinion when you take the time to look at the whole picture.

You're correct, it was different from what I remembered. It's still excessive to sentence someone to life in prison over drugs (and a gun). Far worse crimes get much lower sentences.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-30 10:51:44  

Most small businesses fail in the first year and they are prohibitively expensive to start. Someone working a low wage job because their record excludes then from higher employment isn't going to have that option.

The point is that there are lifelong hardships that are the result of disparate treatment and overly harsh sentences for minor offenders
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-10-30 10:51:52  
Bahamut.Ravael said: »

just think it through logically...

I saw a black panther party guy talking about the koch brothers (anthony bourdain's show iirc) keeping the black man down and keeping people poor.

that makes no sense. it's prima facie absurd.

they are a business that sells stuff. if nobody can afford their crap they close down

they want to make money. the more people that can afford to buy things the better it is for them.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-10-30 10:55:06  

This does not happen. All you do is present the most ridiculous hyperbole ever. No one who goes to jail as a teen is locked into a life of working minimum wage.

Even if there were statistics supporting that, it would hardly be solely because of the incarceration. People make bad choices and if you take away those consequences, they're likely to make worse ones.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-10-30 10:55:43  
Most small businesses fail in the first year
Thanks Obama!
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-10-30 10:55:47  
The point is that there are lifelong hardships that are the result of disparate treatment and overly harsh sentences for minor offenders

not always. I know two guys personally who started their own landscaping company with lawnmowers they found in the trash and ended up selling their company to Davey Tree and retired at forty.

they dreamed the whole thing up while smoking weed in my bedroom

just because life gives you lemons doesn't mean you have to stick them up your *** and then complain about it
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-10-30 10:57:23  

and why shouldn't there be!?

how the hell else are you going to stop people from doing criminal ***!?
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-10-30 10:57:44  
just because life gives you lemons doesn't mean you have to stick them up your *** and then complain about it
If you're a "victim" you sure do.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-30 10:59:05  
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »

This does not happen. All you do is present the most ridiculous hyperbole ever. No one who goes to jail as a teen is locked into a life of working minimum wage.

Even if there were statistics supporting that, it would hardly be solely because of the incarceration. People make bad choices and if you take away those consequences, they're likely to make worse ones.

Do you not have a grasp of object permanence? Closing your eyes doesn't make things not real.
First Page 2 3 ... 1052 1053 1054 ... 1375 1376 1377