Is Science The New Religion Of The 21st Century?

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Is Science the New Religion of the 21st Century?
Is Science the New Religion of the 21st Century?
First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 ... 12 13 14
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
サーバ: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-05-22 14:40:47  
Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »
I mean these religious texts were written at different times. One cannot expect them to be applicable verbatim in 2014.

Religious texts themselves are not the monster here but rather man himself and how he chooses to interpret those texts. There is a degree of interpretation with such old texts simply because they cannot be taken verbatim in today's day and age.

Why not?

Timeless documents that have direct consequences on an eternal reward or punishment are meant to be affected by the flow of time? If I didn't know better it sounds like God wants people to purposely *** and end up in Hell as these are divinely inspired documents if we're to believe the authors. All of that OT brutality was sanctioned by God as were the flood, Sodom and Gammorah as well as those adventures with Jews in the desert.

As it stands unless you're following some universalist interpretation or a sect that doesn't believe in literal Hell it's essentially faith bingo within Christianity. Following Jesus has a clear reward, eternal life. The Bible is meant to be prove God's existence and insight into the eternal creators will that you should emulate. Events in the Bible are meant to be seen as true, factual things that happened.

Each sect thinks they have it right and the stakes are an afterlife mechanic. Without the Bible to ground the faith you've basically got Deism or just believing because you whatever to believe.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-05-22 14:44:52  
Caitsith.Zahrah said: »

The direction on this thread...

Themed!
 Leviathan.Chaosx
サーバ: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-22 15:04:28  
Caitsith.Zahrah said: »

The direction on this thread...
It's actually turned into a great direction.

Reminiscing the old Hercules and Xena shows.

I approve!
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-22 15:11:56  
eslim said: »
Cerberus.Tikal said: »
if a man rapes your daughter, he owes you 50 silver shekles and has to take her hand in marriage. Morality.
looks like they chose the lesser evil. killing/jailing the man would of done nothing for the woman that was raped and in that society she would of never ever gotten married and her/her family would of been the center of sorrow for the community and 50 shekels in w/e age you're referring to was probably a lot of money.

but i digress, i would of probably raped him back, take all his money, and take care of my daughter her whole life if that's what she wanted.
I don't remember what episode of Hercules or Xena that was.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
サーバ: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-05-22 15:24:21  
Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Timeless documents that have direct consequences on an eternal reward or punishment are meant to be affected by the flow of time? If I didn't know better it sounds like God wants people to purposely ***

You mean Free-will?

The Bible is meant to be prove God's existence
No it's not.

Events in the Bible are meant to be seen as true, factual things that happened.
No they are not. Not all books in the bible are meant to be interpreted as historical events, some are simply moral lessons or fables.

In any case you are kinda lumping all religions into one Christianity basket. Every religious text is different, and as I've stated before they were written at different times where present day circumstances were not relevant, or had transpired.

The present day advents of science and medicine were not present when the bible was written. Watson and Crick had not described the structure of DNA yet, Einstein had not published his research on photoelectric effect...these advents have a significant baring on how we view the world. One cannot simply expect religious documents written prior to such significant events to still be completely relevant.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-05-22 15:34:19  
Don't bother Bacon.

Certain people on this forum thinks whatever they want and think that it is the absolute truth.

Because somebody on TV told them so, or they saw it on wikipedia.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-05-22 15:37:11  
It isn't free will if your divinely inspired document has blatant contradictions yet still possesses a win/lose mechanic within it. You also have to play the divinely inspired card regarding all the books of the canon thrown out by the council of Nicea and the early Christian chaos of literally everyone claiming to have it right. Sound familiar? Yup. Which books were legit? Which weren't? Did the council get it right? Was anything tampered with for political gains? Faith.

As I said before, some sects have adopted an 'it's about the journey, not the dogma' stance regarding their faith. This is unappealing for most as the idea of everyone winning isn't exactly their speed. Then you have the sects that believe in predestination. And the sects that follow in the elect. Again, more faith.

The Bible is proof that the Christian God of the OT exists and proof that Jesus existed in the NT hence the accounts of his life and crucifixion. Preachers don't Bible beat for their health, it is the path by which people are to understand the sacrifice of Jesus through. Without the Bible, the entirety of the faith has no legitimacy and no hard 'evidence'. Christianity needs the Bible, deism needs nothing other than a hunch + individual experience.

The OT is played down because we're to focus on Jesus in the NT (and because the OT is chock full of barbarity) but that doesn't mean the God of the OT isn't the same God of the New. It's meant to read like a two-part special except it's chock full of inconsistencies.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2014-05-22 15:37:14  
The present day advents of science and medicine were not present when the bible was written. Watson and Crick had not described the structure of DNA yet, Einstein had not published his research on photoelectric effect...these advents have a significant baring on how we view the world. One cannot simply expect religious documents written prior to such significant events to still be completely relevant.
Why not? An all-powerful all-knowing god should be able to predict these things. It should be timeless, and yet it isn't.

Undelete | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-05-22 15:49:36  
eslim said: »
Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »
An all-powerful all-knowing god should be able to predict these things. It should be timeless, and yet it isn't.
if god created everything in a timeless manner then science is completely misleading lol.
Don't worry, Scientists will prove that God doesn't exist.

They said so!
 Bismarck.Dracondria
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2014-05-22 15:53:38  
You also have to play the divinely inspired card regarding all the books of the canon thrown out by the council of Nicea and the early Christian chaos of literally everyone claiming to have it right.

YouTube Video Placeholder

1:03:10
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-05-22 16:10:10  
That Da Vinci Code joke did not go over well at all.
 Bismarck.Misao
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2014-05-22 16:55:01  
 Cerberus.Pleebo
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-05-22 16:57:01  
[+]
 Bismarck.Dubai
user: Enitsu
By Bismarck.Dubai 2014-05-22 17:29:12  
War is the new religion.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-22 18:02:28  
Quote:
Liberals were more likely to exaggerate their religious attendance than conservatives. Liberals attend services less frequently than conservatives do. Yet their desire to be thought more religiously observant than they actually are is greater.
Source
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-22 18:05:07  
And of course this new Pew study:

Quote:
Most Americans would rather have a president who believes in God rather than one who doesn't. In a recent study conducted by the Pew Research Center, Americans ranked atheism as the most negative trait that could be displayed by presidential candidates who plan to seek the White House in 2016.
Americans More Likely to Vote for a Cheating, Pot-Smoking or Gay President Over an Atheist One in 2016, Says Study
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-05-22 18:05:30  
Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »
Why not? An all-powerful all-knowing god should be able to predict these things. It should be timeless, and yet it isn't.

Because the bible wasn't written by God, it's was written by man. You are assuming that the bible itself is written by the hand of God.

It isn't free will if your divinely inspired document has blatant contradictions yet still possesses a win/lose mechanic within it. You also have to play the divinely inspired card regarding all the books of the canon thrown out by the council of Nicea and the early Christian chaos of literally everyone claiming to have it right. Sound familiar? Yup. Which books were legit? Which weren't? Did the council get it right? Was anything tampered with for political gains? Faith.

Please don't take this offensively, but why are you so adamant about "attacking faith" if I may ask? What harm does it do to you directly? It seems as if you and several others are at this point just looking to make personal attacks against religion all together.

Additionally, you seem to be under the premise that every person has the same interpretation of the bible or any religious text as you. That's a bit naive don't you think? Not even I think that. Interpret the bible however you want, but please don't be tactless and attack religion simply because people choose faith(regardless of the degree).
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-05-22 18:32:07  
Why do I attack faith? Because it perpetuates ignorance which directly affects me. All of those glossed over passages that some refuse to acknowledge have been responsible for untold suffering for millions and to hear it's 'divine' is an affront to my existence. It's barbaric human thought codified into heavenly mandate and brutally enforced by the sword. Blind magical thinking is responsible for most of the ignorant, racist, sexist, misogynist thought that has ravaged this globe for far too long and left unchecked seeks to recoup its lost gains.

People use faith to shield themselves from the world, as a beacon of hope, a crutch on the futility of the human existence and a way to struggle through an unfair world but appealing to such entities does little to change the reality of our existence. If you manage to use this in a positive fashion, I've already said lets get to work making our realm a better place. For all the ***I give religion, this isn't going to stop me from working at a religious soup kitchen, visiting my old Catholic principal, breaking bread with the faithful or generally treating the religious with respect.

(Getting that respect reciprocated is another thing altogether.)

Thinking that Thor calls down lightning bolts or that God makes the tides go in and out is cute and even I love to fantasize about mythology (thanks Final Fantasy!) but understanding how these processes actually work give us the ability to dispel the primal fears that make up the human condition and prevent all those centuries of ignorance, death and human stupidity from happening again.

Lastly, apparently you haven't bothered to read because I've pointed out multiple times that in a world of numerous sects there are groups who have rectified the problems I've pointed out in religious texts. I also think I've used well and enough tact, thanks.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2014-05-22 18:34:39  
Because the bible wasn't written by God, it's was written by man. You are assuming that the bible itself is written by the hand of God.
Oh trust me, I don't think god wrote the bible. But many arguments in favor of the text claim that the writers were divinely inspired.
By fonewear 2014-05-22 18:36:29  
Why do people use bold because they forgot how to argue.

Also militant atheism.

[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-05-22 18:39:35  
fonewear said: »
Why do people use bold because they forgot how to argue.

Also militant atheism.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Not even most biological science undergrads(those are the feisty ones!) are as determined to undermine Christianity.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-05-22 18:41:02  
Why do I attack faith? Because it perpetuates ignorance which directly affects me. All of those glossed over passages that some refuse to acknowledge have been responsible for untold suffering for millions and to hear it's 'divine' is an affront to my existence. It's barbaric human thought codified into heavenly mandate and brutally enforced by the sword. Blind magical thinking is responsible for most of the ignorant, racist, sexist, misogynist thought that has ravaged this globe for far too long and left unchecked seeks to recoup its lost gains.

People use faith to shield themselves from the world, as a beacon of hope, a crutch on the futility of the human existence and a way to struggle through an unfair world but appealing to such entities does little to change the reality of our existence. If you manage to use this in a positive fashion, I've already said lets get to work making our realm a better place. For all the ***I give religion, this isn't going to stop me from working at a religious soup kitchen, visiting my old Catholic principal, breaking bread with the faithful or generally treating the religious with respect.

(Getting that respect reciprocated is another thing altogether.)

Thinking that Thor calls down lightning bolts or that God makes the tides go in and out is cute and even I love to fantasize about mythology (thanks Final Fantasy!) but understanding how these processes actually work give us the ability to dispel the primal fears that make up the human condition and prevent all those centuries of ignorance, death and human stupidity from happening again.

Lastly, apparently you haven't bothered to read because I've pointed out multiple times that in a world of numerous sects there are groups who have rectified the problems I've pointed out in religious texts. I also think I've used well and enough tact, thanks.

God doesn't care what you think.
 Shiva.Onorgul
サーバ: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-05-22 18:42:09  
Why not undermine a religion that has been demonstrably responsible for hundred of thousands, if not outright millions, of deaths? We undermined several secular systems that accomplished exactly that same effect in just the past century and only the HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE few are going to stand up and say we should've have done so.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-05-22 18:44:45  
I'm no expert in religion but what people believe (or not believe) doesn't offend me so much that I rant and rave about it.
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
サーバ: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-05-22 18:47:58  
I'm no expert in religion but what people believe (or not believe) doesn't offend me so much that I rant and rave about it.
I rarely encounter someone who actually cares that someone believes in the transubstantiation of the Eucharist. The ranting and raving tends to be about people applying their religious beliefs to other people, either via being a complete *** or, worse yet, by trying to enshrine them in law.
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-05-22 18:48:02  
Why do I attack faith? Because it perpetuates ignorance which directly affects me.
Faith does not perpetuate ignorance, man does.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-05-22 18:50:26  
I wouldn't say ignorance is bliss I'd say intolerance of religion is bliss to some.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-05-22 19:05:29  
God doesn't care what you think.

Which one?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-05-22 19:07:33  
I wouldn't say ignorance is bliss I'd say intolerance of religion is bliss to some.

Another one who can't read but what am I expecting from our resident one-liner. Perhaps once you've picked up basic reading comprehension we can move further.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 ... 12 13 14