Killing Ifrit is Dead
 Sylph.Shipp
サーバ: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Shipp
By Sylph.Shipp 2014-05-04 15:31:41  
Anna Ruthven said: »
Shiva.Onorgul said: »
I have two separate editions of the FFXI Bradygames guide. Some of the stuff, especially job/subjob combinations, are hilarious. It's also one of the big reasons why I was looking around for an FFXI forum when I was at work: it was very clear that Monk/White Mage was not going to be viable whatever it said.

I should scan some of the funnier bits of those guides and post 'em. Folks who started playing after 2005 or so have probably never seen what passed for decent information back then. Hell, the lousiness of Brady is a big part of why I wrote guides on KI.
MNK/WHM was used for burst damage on Sky gods, I know a few MNKs who prided themselves on not only their normal setup but their MND set up as well. This was before CoP was fully released though.

It was also often used on tiamat for chi blast, I believe. I want to say we swapped them in during flight phase with the blms and smns since iirc, chi blast still hits her during flight.
[+]
 Sylph.Shipp
By Sylph.Shipp 2014-05-04 15:39:36  
Also, my personal favorite Brady gem is under BLM

SUMMONER/BLACK MAGE
As a SMN/BLM, you get all the benefits in terms of magical potential and the ability to attack a monster directly with magic. The basic idea is to summon, for example, Carbuncle, set it to attack a monster, then sit back and cast spells until the monster is history. The additional magic points are most appreciated, as summoner can cost lots of MP.

Spring 2004 edition.
Forum Moderator
サーバ: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2014-05-04 15:50:51  
Yeah, We often did skillchains and then dropped to get MNKs in who had 12 boosts, then we were reinvited. Good times.
 Shiva.Onorgul
サーバ: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-05-04 15:54:47  
Yeah, We often did skillchains and then dropped to get MNKs in who had 12 boosts, then we were reinvited. Good times.
I used Chi Blast a lot on gods back then. I was slightly put off by the change made years ago that made battle music start up regardless of having your weapon drawn. There was something soothing about listening to the music in sky while killing Genbu.
[+]
Forum Moderator
サーバ: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2014-05-04 15:59:39  
I'm very aware, Anna, but I was talking about when leveling up.

I actually grabbed my Brady Guide and it doesn't recommend /WHM for Monk. Oh, no, indeed not. It recommends /RDM. I'm not clever enough to make this up:

Quote:
Monk/Red Mage
Red Mages aren't usually taken as a support job because of their somewhat limited Magic Points. As a support job for a Monk, this is even more pronounced, yet a number of people are very happy with this duo. One reason may be the truly one-sided way that Monks deal with most problems by walking up and hitting monsters until they collapse. With a Red Mage, enfeebling magic is possible. A Monk who can enfeeble and exploit enemy weaknesses can still be effective.

I want to play the game where that recommendation makes sense, that is, where a support job allows one to do most of what the main job can do. You'd still wind up with the usual MNK/WAR and DRG/SAM paradigms since you'd want to mix the best of two similar jobs, but it would be fun to occasionally contribute a bit more. I think that's why some people enjoy subbing RUN for certain Delve runs.

@Draugo: No more "narcissistic" than keeping a folder of screenshots. It's my work-product, why wouldn't I want to retain it?
Oh, I see. Lol

I used to like the RDMs who'd sub NIN and say it was a "debuff machine" not taking into account that'd require Ninjutsu skill. This was when Utsusemi was well over 1mil and quite a few people were missing it. Come ToAU, I used to laugh at the melee RDMs that would join a party expecing to melee when they were invited to heal. I must admit, I took a bit of pleasure in asking "Do you have WHM sub?" when they got to camp, it was even more pleasurable to lecture them on why we needed /WHM and make them look incompetent. Yes, I was an *** back in the day. I leveled RDM in those days and had fun with it, didn't get many complaints, probably because I'd been on the opposite side of the party.

I did get annoyed during the "No, SMN is a healer... Sub WHM!" days.
 Leviathan.Draugo
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Draugo 2014-05-04 15:59:43  

I actually grabbed my Brady Guide and it doesn't recommend /WHM for Monk. Oh, no, indeed not. It recommends /RDM. I'm not clever enough to make this up:

Quote:
Monk/Red Mage
Red Mages aren't usually taken as a support job because of their somewhat limited Magic Points. As a support job for a Monk, this is even more pronounced, yet a number of people are very happy with this duo. One reason may be the truly one-sided way that Monks deal with most problems by walking up and hitting monsters until they collapse. With a Red Mage, enfeebling magic is possible. A Monk who can enfeeble and exploit enemy weaknesses can still be effective.

I want to play the game where that recommendation makes sense, that is, where a support job allows one to do most of what the main job can do. You'd still wind up with the usual MNK/WAR and DRG/SAM paradigms since you'd want to mix the best of two similar jobs, but it would be fun to occasionally contribute a bit more. I think that's why some people enjoy subbing RUN for certain Delve runs.

@Draugo: No more "narcissistic" than keeping a folder of screenshots. It's my work-product, why wouldn't I want to retain it?
Just trying to ruffle your feathers heh. RIP KI
 Sylph.Shipp
By Sylph.Shipp 2014-05-04 16:14:48  

Quote:
Monk/Red Mage

Oh, I see. Lol

I used to like the RDMs who'd sub NIN and say it was a "debuff machine" not taking into account that'd require Ninjutsu skill. This was when Utsusemi was well over 1mil and quite a few people were missing it. Come ToAU, I used to laugh at the melee RDMs that would join a party expecing to melee when they were invited to heal. I must admit, I took a bit of pleasure in asking "Do you have WHM sub?" when they got to camp, it was even more pleasurable to lecture them on why we needed /WHM and make them look incompetent. Yes, I was an *** back in the day. I leveled RDM in those days and had fun with it, didn't get many complaints, probably because I'd been on the opposite side of the party.

I did get annoyed during the "No, SMN is a healer... Sub WHM!" days.
I have mixed feelings on those dark SMN days. It got annoying to heal, but avatars quite frequently missed and at the time, there wasn't a separate timer for ward and rage. MP also was a lot larger of an issue back then, and you would run out after about 5 mins if you used pred claws every 45 secs.

I like where SMN is currently, especially after playing the bastardized version in XIV which is not a SMN, imo. Just wish we could have had the current SMN back then, or even smm magic actually doing anything back then in regard to avatars.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [474 days between previous and next post]
 Asura.Mrxdemix
サーバ: Asura
user: Mrxdemix
By Asura.Mrxdemix 2015-08-22 00:18:40  
Valefor.Endoq said: »
I thought it died back in like 2007~2008 or some time around then haha

And the drama on some of the server threads drawfs any drama I ever seen on ffxiah lol (my server was really bad for drama)

Man. I caused so much drama on the Asura KI forum. I was a real idiot 10 years ago.
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
サーバ: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-08-22 00:38:36  
Lol that site's valefor section was insane and had the most pages than any other server back in the day.
 Valefor.Shinzagoon
サーバ: Valefor
user: Shinza
By Valefor.Shinzagoon 2015-08-27 03:17:56  
Priran, Churchill, Suichi... *** dude, the list could go on.
 Leviathan.Zirg
サーバ: Leviathan
user: zirg
By Leviathan.Zirg 2015-09-02 17:10:19  
Signs of the times. Killingif dieing off is a smart move. Cut and run why you still make a little $$$ off FFXI. Can't blame them. Hell i cut and ran away from the free falling FFXI a few months ago.

Now don't get me wrong. FFXI was the $#!7 at one time. Well if you didn't like pvp, or any hints on what to do on a quest, making you have to go online and hope someone stumbled acrossed the way to finish a quest and posted it. Make sites like Killingif a gift from the game gods lol.

But that crappy quest setup mixxed with the old school exp party grinds was two of the things that made the game last. The crap we had to put up with, forced us to become team players made strong bonds between some players, makeing freinds for life.

Ty Killingif for being here when we needed you. Was also the first ffxi site i came across for helps/fourms. And ty SE for makeing a game that was, key word WAS a fun place to be for so many and so long.

Now for you die hards left behind. I really do hope you enjoy the time you have left on this game. BUT, if you're looking for a kick @$$ newer mmo, ESO is rocking hard on xbox1. I can't speak for the other systems, but xbox1 players, you might want to check it out!!!! :)

PS: Before someone flames saying if ESO is so great, why are you posting on a game you no longer play, instead of playing it. Well to spread the word, and let ppl know about it. + waiting on food to cook so i can eat and get back to some pvp.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
By Malebolge 2015-09-07 22:07:26  
Didn't somepage start trying to install viruses if you visited it or some goofy ***like that? I remember stopping using it very suddenly.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2015-09-09 20:42:41  
I used to like the RDMs who'd sub NIN and say it was a "debuff machine" not taking into account that'd require Ninjutsu skill.

Actually the magic evasion down from the Ninjitsu spells always land for full duration and full effect, only the magic damage component does a skill based accuracy check. It's calculated hte same way Dia and Bio is. Could be really helpful in sticking debuffs on resistant NM's, though definitely not a XP party tactic.

Raiton: Ichi then Slow
Doton: Ichi then Silence
Huton: Ichi then Paralyze

Then you could also use them right before a nuke to help with the C rated elemental skill. Of course that was before /SCH existed and fixed that problem.

I know, completely OT.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [1434 days between previous and next post]
 Asura.Elizabet
user: Elizabet
By Asura.Elizabet 2019-08-13 19:33:17  
I bumped this for Aeonova.
[+]
 Asura.Aeonova