users online
フォーラム » Windower » Support » Windower 4 No longer working after vanilla startup
Windower 4 No longer working after vanilla startup
 Sylph.Staleyx
サーバ: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Staleyx
By Sylph.Staleyx 2014-02-23 15:35:20  
So today I was foreced to open ffxi vanilla in order to get a cutscene since it crashes in windower. After getting the cut scene and logging back into windower it crashes from pol > ffxi. I Have noticed now when windower opens the game it shows the old blue playonline screen before pol loads. It's almost acting like its not able to use the windower settings anymore. I have found the exact problem someone is facing on the windower forums also.

I have tried everything except a full reinstall of the game. Operating system is windows 8. If anyone has any ideas please post.

Thank you
 Sylph.Staleyx
By Sylph.Staleyx 2014-02-23 16:02:34  
Trying a uninstall and reinstall of just playonline first before a full one.
 Sylph.Staleyx
By Sylph.Staleyx 2014-02-23 16:29:54  
Still no change after pol redo. Trying full reinstall now.
 Sylph.Staleyx
By Sylph.Staleyx 2014-02-24 06:37:58  
Still not working after a full wipe of ffxi and windower. This must be a windows 8 issue.
By Jetackuu 2014-02-24 07:57:16  
Reinstall windower then, back up your setting files.

make sure you're running as admin.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2014-02-24 08:15:34  
What error/message do you get when it crashes? I've heard of something similar happening before but I don't recall if it was a win8 thing.
 Leviathan.Arcon
VIP
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Zaphor
By Leviathan.Arcon 2014-02-24 08:27:11  
It's almost certainly the very common Win8 issue. The only new thing here is how it appeared (and only kinda new, it was reported before). I'm afraid we can't help with that at the moment.
 Sylph.Staleyx
By Sylph.Staleyx 2014-02-24 10:46:22  
I have tried a reinstall of windower several times. It amazes me that if you have win8 and startup vanilla you will ruin windower for good. Would reverting to win7 take care of this issue? When I get home today I will provide what the actual error says and provide screen
 Shiva.Siral
サーバ: Shiva
user: Siral
By Shiva.Siral 2014-02-24 11:18:03  
May not really helpful but:

I use Windows 8.1 Pro x64 and I had to login to vanilla playonline to get the earmuff KI since windower freezes on black screen with it. I was able to logout from vanilla and then launch windower with no problems.

So not sure if it's just specific windows versions or what. Worked fine for me though. :/
 Leviathan.Arcon
VIP
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Zaphor
By Leviathan.Arcon 2014-02-24 13:26:38  
It's very sporadic. None of the Windower dev team has had any problems with it on Windows 8, which is why we couldn't diagnose it better. Most of the people don't seem affected, but some are, and we're not at all sure what causes it at this point.
 Sylph.Peldin
By Sylph.Peldin 2014-02-24 14:11:35  
Shiva.Siral said: »
I use Windows 8.1 Pro x64 and I had to login to vanilla playonline to get the earmuff KI since windower freezes on black screen with it.
You know you can still do that quest (if you're referring to the Fragmenting quest in Khamir Drifts) with Windower. Yes, it will freeze on black screen, but when you log back in, you'll have completed the quest. I just did this two days ago on my mule.
By Jetackuu 2014-02-24 19:36:42  
Leviathan.Arcon said: »
It's very sporadic. None of the Windower dev team has had any problems with it on Windows 8, which is why we couldn't diagnose it better. Most of the people don't seem affected, but some are, and we're not at all sure what causes it at this point.
probably a specific Windows update or possibly a certain office install that's breaking it.
 Cerberus.Conagh
サーバ: Cerberus
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-02-24 20:29:29  
I hacked my windows 8, killed its libraries, re installed it from the partition and then it allowed me to use windower on Windows 8, and even now its buggy.

Revert to windows 7 and start from there.
 Sylph.Staleyx
By Sylph.Staleyx 2014-02-25 19:33:11  
Updating to 8.1 then will try win7 install. Thank you for the tips!