users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » Soft cap?
Soft cap?
 Pandemonium.Nususu
サーバ: Pandemonium
Game: FFXI
user: nususu
By Pandemonium.Nususu 2009-07-26 12:53:18  
Can someone explain to me what exactly the soft cap means? I see it a lot in relation to attributes and I would like to know what it means to meany responses are appreciated.
 Asura.Artemicion
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Artemicion 2009-07-26 12:54:47  
It means rounded out it will generally revolve around that number. It could be slightly lower or higher based on your attributes and skill level, but generally speaking, a soft cap means the most you can get will revolve + or - that number.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-07-26 12:59:14  
I always thought soft cap was just a lower spell (usually heard in like Cure or Waltz's) that doesn't take much Mnd/Chr before you cannot increase the potency any further.

Like Cure II has a soft cap of 90 (I believe, haven't cured without a Light staff/Nobles in awhile). The amount of Mnd it takes to reach that is extremely low, don't even need +Mnd gear.
 Kujata.Argettio
サーバ: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-07-26 13:33:06  
A hard cap is one that can not be broken or exceded ever (stoneskin without gorget of mifflers is hard capped at 350HP).

A soft cap is one that can be exceded, but not easily.

EG: Cure II has a soft cap of 90hp, you can cure for 88-90Hp as soon as you get the spell while naked (like 40MND), adding a little MND will get you to 90. At 75, even with 150 MND build you will cure for something like 94Hp.

So you can go over 90, but not easily, The soft cap is the spells 'natural' curing amount and although you can go over this point its not effective; you are far better off stacking -enmity etc rather than trying to squeeze out 1-2 more hp.
[+]
 Asura.Artemicion
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Artemicion 2009-07-26 13:34:47  
Argettio said:
A hard cap is one that can not be broken or exceded ever (stoneskin without gorget of mifflers is hard capped at 350HP).

A soft cap is one that can be exceded, but not easily.

EG: Cure II has a soft cap of 90hp, you can cure for 88-90Hp as soon as you get the spell while naked (like 40MND), adding a little MND will get you to 90. At 75, even with 150 MND build you will cure for something like 94Hp.

So you can go over 90, but not easily, The soft cap is the spells 'natural' curing amount and although you can go over this point its not effective; you are far better off stacking -enmity etc rather than trying to squeeze out 1-2 more hp.

Heh, explained in a much better manner than I can without coffee. Very well said ^^
 Pandemonium.Nususu
サーバ: Pandemonium
user: nususu
By Pandemonium.Nususu 2009-07-26 14:35:03  
Thanks for the clarification.