New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Tech Support » FFXIV over remote desktop
FFXIV over remote desktop
サーバ: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Dawnn
By Dawn Charis 2013-09-18 13:56:40  
Hey there, I often find myself minding my own biz and playing upstairs in my house, buuut through one way or another I end up having to sit downstairs so I figured I'd try to remote desktop in.

Problem is it lags like a mother. I was wondering if anyone out there has gotten it to work without the bad lag. If it's all buffed out on my pc side then my laptop should be able to handle it right?

I figured it could also be remote desktop, my dad works through it alot and recommended TeamViewer but I just wanted to get some second opinions.

Edit: Got it to work with software called Splashtop with minimum to no lag. Thank you!

Edit #2: Half tempted to test this on iPhone and iPad, but the app is like 5$
 Lakshmi.Aelius
VIP
サーバ: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Aelius
By Lakshmi.Aelius 2013-09-18 14:31:46  
That's the drawback of playing for long periods of time. MMO's will suck up your RL life. Just go upstairs to play or invest into a laptop.
 Fenrir.Atheryn
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2013-09-18 14:43:17  
I'm no expert on remote desktop programs, but aren't they generally intended for remotely accessing business applications? I wouldn't think they could handle the amount of graphical information FFXIV is pumping out. And even if the program can handle it, your router's upload speed might be getting in the way.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
By Dawn Charis 2013-09-18 14:55:16  
I end up having to come down here for extended periods of time with nothing much to do down here

in any news I got it to work with relatively low lag, awesome software called Splashtop. Framerate is decent and it looks fine

edit: I know if someone can get XI to work on a vita, I could get this to work remotely
edit #2: I work from home with my dad monitoring his servers so we have business grade net and equipment
 Leviathan.Celille
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Celille
By Leviathan.Celille 2013-09-18 14:59:34  
You can't just install the game on your laptop and play using a wireless router?
By Dawn Charis 2013-09-18 15:01:31  
Leviathan.Celille said: »
You can't just install the game on your laptop and buy a wireless router? I don't see why you need a remote desktop if you're only going from upstairs to downstairs.

Laptop is an old vostro 1500, nowhere near powerful enough to run XIV

also as to staying downstairs, my sister is causing issues (shes moved out) and I dont feel comfortable having my mom be down here alone when all my other siblings are at school

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
By Dawn Charis 2013-09-18 15:17:04  
Caitsith.Shiroi said: »
Dawn Charis said: »
edit: I know if someone can get XI to work on a vita, I could get this to work remotely

Vita RD isn't exactly the same as microsoft remote desktop, the application is streaming a video of whats displayed. There's probably a windows equivalent of what you want.

Already posted I got it to work, Splashtop is fairly decent and is free through LAN I believe, I was reading mixed answers on the subject. Anyways I'll update OP and that'll be that

thank you for reading
 Shiva.Kewitt
サーバ: Shiva
user: ginger
By Shiva.Kewitt 2013-09-18 15:21:12  
The way RD works it's meant for High Graphic. Nvidia has been working on Remote desktop graphic support for years. But to get want you want it would cost $50k.

There are other tools out there want make it a little better on a LAN. Splashtop comes to mind but nothing great, The problem comes in playing a game like FFXIV with high end graphic and that same computer is now also having to basically render a video scream of what your doing then send it to you.

Another option would be finding some sort of HDMI transmitter and wireless keyboard and mouse, and hooking up the a TV or Display with HDMI.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-wireless-hdmi-video-transmitter/
 Phoenix.Lagian
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Lagian
By Phoenix.Lagian 2013-09-19 11:28:25  
Not really applicable here unless you want to spend tons of money, but PCoIP supports 3D graphics.