サーバ: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2013-09-09 20:03:51  
Leviathan.Celille said: »
Anna Ruthven said: »
Siren.Knivesz said: »
Bahamut.Milamber said: »
Honestly, the shouts shouting back at the RMT shouts are worse than the RMTs.
My blist is filling up due to those people more so than the RMTs themselves.

While those are certainly annoying those people eventually shut up anyway when they realize the RMT are never gonna care what they say cause its a bot spamming the shout, not a person. The bot on the otherhand is non stop 24/7 until they get suspended and then replaced with another bot. Blacklisting any of these people is a waste of time. Only thing you can do is avoid the starter cities and wait for SE to start charging for subscriptions. Hopefully the prospect of having to pay all these subscription costs for each mule the RMT have to make to replace the one that got banned will somewhat curb this nonsense.
Never mattered in XI, they just immediately remade them. What I'm wondering is, why exactly couldn't SE just put it in the ToS agreement (if it isn't already) that selling in-game currency and/or accounts will result in legal action, and when they are caught, bring some sort of charges and have the RMT site shut down? Or why not make a way to IP ban?

What law(s) would you charge them with and what are you going to do if they're not from Japan? It's simpler and cheaper for SE to just ban them and have them buy another copy of the game, plus its a win-win for SE anyway. Unless of course YOU plan to go door-to-door Jay and Silent Bob style and take down these RMT yourself.

Also, IP bans are really easy to get around.

Law won't work, their GOVERNMENT RMT themselves. IP ban just means it's a bit less profitable for RMT(due to increased cost), but they'd still exist as long as it's profitable.

Only way to deal with RMT is to stop buying gil, really as simple as that. But I guess it's useless to say it cuz ppl still gonna buy it.
 Carbuncle.Shokox
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Shokox
By Carbuncle.Shokox 2013-09-09 20:32:26  
I've seen more consecutive RMT shouts in 2 days of FFXIV than I have in almost 10 years of FFXI, if that's any indication. (On Excalibur).

I have a feeling the problem is much worst on any server that is legacy, mainly because it already has a defined auction house system.
 Lakshmi.Reddwarf
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Reddwarf
By Lakshmi.Reddwarf 2013-09-09 21:03:59  
Asura.Ackeronll said: »
I've noticed most of these account have seemingly legit names. Meaning some of them might be hacked accounts. I feel bad for the real owners.

Moral of the story? Security Tokens = Friend.

i got hacked in FFXI with a token, its not 100% safe, as the passcode is valid for more than 1 use. use Caution.
 Leviathan.Starcade
サーバ: Leviathan
user: starcade
By Leviathan.Starcade 2013-09-09 21:33:51  
Leviathan.Celille said: »
What law(s) would you charge them with and what are you going to do if they're not from Japan? It's simpler and cheaper for SE to just ban them and have them buy another copy of the game, plus its a win-win for SE anyway. Unless of course YOU plan to go door-to-door Jay and Silent Bob style and take down these RMT yourself.

Also, IP bans are really easy to get around.

Theft. Theft of Square-Enix' intellectual property.

Failure to do so voids your Terms of Service and you have, then, no legal right to go after players in other countries for their criminal thefts through botting/hacking/RMT/what have you.

In short, you do what is necessary, whereever it is necessary, if you (as Square-Enix) wish to claim ownership over everything (gil, items, eq, EVERYTHING) in your game.
 Leviathan.Starcade
By Leviathan.Starcade 2013-09-09 21:36:16  
Ragnarok.Afania said: »
Only way to deal with RMT is to shut the game down,

IFYPFY. Most of the remaining prominent FFXI players are nothing short of RMT scum.
Forum Moderator
サーバ: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2013-09-09 21:36:23  
Lakshmi.Reddwarf said: »
I've noticed most of these account have seemingly legit names. Meaning some of them might be hacked accounts. I feel bad for the real owners.

i got hacked in FFXI with a token, its 100% safe, as the passcode is valid for more than 1 use. use Caution.
From what I can tell, numbers are randomized ever 3 mins, and every number is valid for around 10-15 mins.
 Lakshmi.Aelius
VIP
user: Aelius
By Lakshmi.Aelius 2013-09-09 21:36:48  
They should make it so where you can't make a shout/yell until like lvl5 or something.

Then again, having Shout filtered works wonders.
 Leviathan.Starcade
By Leviathan.Starcade 2013-09-09 21:42:40  
Lakshmi.Aelius said: »
They should make it so where you can't make a shout/yell until like lvl5 or something.

You know what happens then: Tells, going down your alpha list of farmed account names.

You could even have the bot somehow get the full list of player names and get everybody.
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2013-09-09 21:47:30  
Leviathan.Starcade said: »

You know what happens then: Tells, going down your alpha list of farmed account names.

You could even have the bot somehow get the full list of player names and get everybody.
They already send /tells.
 Lakshmi.Aelius
VIP
By Lakshmi.Aelius 2013-09-09 21:49:59  
Then remove /tells until lvl5.

Honestly takes like 20-30 minutes to get to 5 if even that. It's just that no spammer wants to take the time to get a character, lvl it to 5, then spam for like 10 minutes, then make a new character, lvl to 5, spam for 10 minutes... repeat... At least the spammings will be intermittent.
 Asura.Ina
サーバ: Asura
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2013-09-09 21:51:59  

They are actually using hacked accounts to do the shouting/tells since digital sales on on lock down, so atm that wouldn't solve anything. My friend got hit by it so now we are afraid half the server has him on black list >.>
 Lakshmi.Aelius
VIP
By Lakshmi.Aelius 2013-09-09 21:58:30  
That's unfortunate. My token from ffxi still works. :)
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2013-09-09 22:10:57  
Asura.Ina said: »

They are actually using hacked accounts to do the shouting/tells since digital sales on on lock down, so atm that wouldn't solve anything. My friend got hit by it so now we are afraid half the server has him on black list >.>
Oh, Ina, I saw a semi-familiar name. It wasn't our SCH from Stone Vigil, was it? If I have him blisted, let me know and I'll remove him when he gets the account back.
 Asura.Ina
By Asura.Ina 2013-09-09 22:15:44  

Oh, Ina, I saw a semi-familiar name. It wasn't our SCH from Stone Vigil, was it? If I have him blisted, let me know and I'll remove him when he gets the account back.
It was Bookoo that got hacked, Rookoo was our SCH. The two of them play together so they made similar names but if you did Blist him and took him off that would be awesome.
 Sylph.Saikou
サーバ: Sylph
user: Saikou
By Sylph.Saikou 2013-09-09 22:16:50  
I haven't had any of my accounts hacked on FFXI or FFXIV thankfully and I use a token. Then again I really think people are stupid enough to buy gil or have someone PL them by giving out the account info. People need to scan their PC regularly for trojan/virus/keylogger or any other unecessary stuff they may come across on their PC.
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2013-09-09 22:30:15  

It was Bookoo that got hacked, Rookoo was our SCH. The two of them play together so they made similar names but if you did Blist him and took him off that would be awesome.
Bookoo Parnook, let me know when his account is back under his control and I'll be happy to remove him. I was kinda worried, the name stuck out, seemed familiar.
 Asura.Ina
By Asura.Ina 2013-09-09 22:39:53  

Bookoo Parnook, let me know when his account is back under his control and I'll be happy to remove him. I was kinda worried, the name stuck out, seemed familiar.
Hes got it back now, running castrum with him atm XD
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2013-09-09 22:44:30  

Hes got it back now, running castrum with him atm XD
I'll remove him when I get on tomorrow.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Aelius
VIP
By Lakshmi.Aelius 2013-09-10 14:29:18  
I saw one rmt last night selling 10m gil for $900.

I never laughed so hard at the desperation before.
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2013-09-10 14:43:13  
I saw one rmt last night selling 10m gil for $900.

I never laughed so hard at the desperation before.
$900 or $9.00? If $900, I'm gonna lol hard.
 Cerberus.Gimp
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Gimp513
By Cerberus.Gimp 2013-09-10 21:53:57  
remembered this link from a wile ago as much as i hate rmt its a very interesting clip to watch the lengths these idiots go to is extreme to say the least http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ketOtwjAdO4
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2013-09-10 22:12:24  
Cerberus.Gimp said: »
remembered this link from a wile ago as much as i hate rmt its a very interesting clip to watch the lengths these idiots go to is extreme to say the least http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ketOtwjAdO4
I remember seeing that. *** from both sides.
 Sylph.Mirvana
サーバ: Sylph
user: Mirvana
By Sylph.Mirvana 2013-09-14 20:05:51  
I'm just hoping some new players don't jump in, see the shout spam, think FFXIV is already overrun with RMT, and quit before the game really gets going.

Once payment periods start up SE will probably start banning creditcards/paypal accounts that get lots of RMT association. RMTs will also slow way down once it becomes unprofitable to have 10-20 characters per server banned every hour.
VIP
user: Kalila
By Kalila Violette 2013-09-15 12:36:25  
meh, just posting this here cause of the number of banned accounts:

09/13/2013 1:32 AM
Regarding RMT Advertisements (Sep. 12)

Having confirmed in-game advertisements for RMT* sites, we have taken the following actions to address this issue.
*RMT (Real Money Trade) is selling account or game data with actual currency in the real world.

[Period]
Sep. 5, 2013 to Sep. 10, 2013 (PDT)
- Accounts receiving disciplinary action for RMT advertisement: 828 accounts
- Action Details: Permanent ban from FINAL FANTASY XIV

In addition to chat filters, we will continue to address RMT activity through cooperation with our GM teams and STF (Special Task Force). When you see an RMT advertisement, please file a report by using the in-game command [System Menu] -> [Support Desk] -> [Contact Us] -> [Report Cheating].

Okay, so... RMT were able to use almost 1000 accounts while servers weren't able to accept any more characters. Now we know that RMT were stealing a lot of accounts and sending RMT tells with them. I also know that a few people got hacked (which btw their characters were restored very quickly). I don't think they were actually able to steal 1000 accounts though.

Did they plan this out ahead and make 1000+ accounts during phase 4? I'm not really sure how there can be almost 1000 accounts banned when servers weren't accepting new characters.
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2013-09-15 13:38:26  
"Having confirmed.." sounds funny to me, this article being released Sept. 12th. It really took them this long? A GM could've confirmed it with the first report.

Secondly, that is across all servers newer servers weren't locked at certain points and were likely flooded with latent RMT accounts. Still seems like a lot though.
 Leviathan.Andret
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2013-09-15 20:54:52  
I don't know anything about scripting or system administrating so this is purely conjecture. I think if you know a fair bit of scripting then you can probably break most FFXIV account passwords without much hacking in the servers. These accounts might or might not be active but they are real accounts. Once SE upgraded the servers and allow people to create more characters, they activated their accounts and started creating characters and spam all servers.

There is a password file containing a very large amount of passwords (gigabytes in texts) on the internet. If a hacker somehow got into SE server and obtained the encrypted password list then he can probably break most of the passwords in a couple hours.

Or he can link 100 computers and spam SE login servers with most common passwords. This is unlikely but plausible. SE will most likely detecting a high amount of incorrect logins and will experiencing something like a DDOS attack if they are spamming their servers with a lot of computers.

Another theory is that a set of users/passwords were 'obtained' at some point by some real hacker groups and get sold online. This is a lot like credit card and identities. They were obtained and kept hidden then sold. They could be split into smaller packs or just getting a resale over and over.

This means having a very long password ex: "FoxtrotFoxtrot10ray1ndia4ictor" (FFXIV) would be helpful. It doesn't mean it can't be broken as the master password list is VERY VERY long. However, it will most likely put you at the bottom of the found password as they will probably check for something like "password1". You can invent other ways to make your password longer and harder to crack but also easy to remember. I used roman numbers to randomize and NATO phonetic alphabet to make it longer. 1981 = M1cM9xxC8I1 = M1cM9xxCharlie8I1

Having a token will also be extremely helpful in preventing your account from getting stolen as the hacker can't spam SE servers with your account. However if your password is "1234567890" then it won't be so helpful.
 Ragnarok.Afania
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2013-09-16 10:47:49  
Leviathan.Andret said: »
I don't know anything about scripting or system administrating so this is purely conjecture. I think if you know a fair bit of scripting then you can probably break most FFXIV account passwords without much hacking in the servers. These accounts might or might not be active but they are real accounts. Once SE upgraded the servers and allow people to create more characters, they activated their accounts and started creating characters and spam all servers.

I don't know much about internet security myself, but I doubt scripting works well, since your account would be locked if you fail too many times. Once I forgot my password and I was unable to log in for a couple of hours. If someone else try it and got my account locked, I may notice it when I want to play. So far I haven't heard of any story of their account locked when they want to play.

Long time ago I read a blog post somewhere by someone working in the industry, and they have to deal with RMT hacking into game servers for account info very often.

SE also confirmed RMT hacked into other game company's server and steal account, then use same account/password for SE account. There's a possibility that they already hacked into SE server and got the info.

Kalila Violette said: »
Did they plan this out ahead and make 1000+ accounts during phase 4? I'm not really sure how there can be almost 1000 accounts banned when servers weren't accepting new characters.

Not really surprising if they've been planning to create account and RMT before the game launches.
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2013-09-16 12:33:28  
Lakshmi.Reddwarf said: »
i got hacked in FFXI with a token, its 100% safe, as the passcode is valid for more than 1 use. use Caution.
From what I can tell, numbers are randomized ever 3 mins, and every number is valid for around 10-15 mins.

When I first got my token I tried using a number twice, firing up XIV right after XI. Didn't work. The error msg said the number had been used. Only tried it once.
[+]
By Mesic 2013-09-20 00:27:14  
Sylph.Hitetsu said: »
You should spend less time inside the city gates. I barely have that issue. I have 14 people on my Black List and I'm one of the least sociable people you'll ever find.

Most of those are the one (yes, one) tell that I receive off RMT.

Also - what do you expect SE to do with it?

Ban a Lv1 RMT that shouts in the middle of Ul'dah, so it can be replaced with another? The best option is to actually let them shout - Blacklist them and ignore them, don't report them because then they get banned and you get another one replacing it. This means that you need yet another space on your blacklist.

Besides, a lot of this will possibly die down when the game is actually being paid for, unless they start offering free trials. FFXI did it right at first, needing a CD Key before you can get your free time limited the amount of money that could be made from RMT spam. Allowing free trials/playing without paying will cause mass creation of RMT accounts.

I think they can deal with it. Have a GM just stand in cities. Sees a gil shout ban the char immediately. Make it something super easy for the gm to do. Literally a click of a button and done. Can't create characters that fast. It would probably still happen but its definitely going to put a dent in the shouts.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2013-09-20 01:10:41  
Leviathan.Andret said: »

There is a password file containing a very large amount of passwords (gigabytes in texts) on the internet. If a hacker somehow got into SE server and obtained the encrypted password list then he can probably break most of the passwords in a couple hours.

Or he can link 100 computers and spam SE login servers with most common passwords. This is unlikely but plausible. SE will most likely detecting a high amount of incorrect logins and will experiencing something like a DDOS attack if they are spamming their servers with a lot of computers.

Another theory is that a set of users/passwords were 'obtained' at some point by some real hacker groups and get sold online. This is a lot like credit card and identities. They were obtained and kept hidden then sold. They could be split into smaller packs or just getting a resale over and over.

This means having a very long password ex: "FoxtrotFoxtrot10ray1ndia4ictor" (FFXIV) would be helpful. It doesn't mean it can't be broken as the master password list is VERY VERY long. However, it will most likely put you at the bottom of the found password as they will probably check for something like "password1". You can invent other ways to make your password longer and harder to crack but also easy to remember. I used roman numbers to randomize and NATO phonetic alphabet to make it longer. 1981 = M1cM9xxC8I1 = M1cM9xxCharlie8I1

Having a token will also be extremely helpful in preventing your account from getting stolen as the hacker can't spam SE servers with your account. However if your password is "1234567890" then it won't be so helpful.
I always liked the XKCD about passwords:

LINK

Linked cause mouseover text is important too and hotlinking doesn't get that ; ;

Though even this won't help you from keyloggers so be sure to browse securely.