users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Monk » Guarding Skill
Guarding Skill
 Asura.Ryndo
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Zarrox
By Asura.Ryndo 2013-07-18 17:26:11  
I took a look on the MNK guide on here and it gives a brief explanation of the skill...

Is there a way to lvl guarding effectively now? Or is it just the Altep mandragora method?

Any tips appreciated :)
By macsdf1 2013-07-18 18:00:35  
can't get any faster than that. Food and skill up ring/earring?
 Fenrir.Terminus
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2013-07-18 18:20:55  
I'm not sure what could possibly be faster than having a bunch of mobs around your level hiting you guickly but never killing you. And it isn't that mandies in Altepa is what we're stuck with because there is no "effective" way to skill it up - that is the effective way to skill it up.
[+]
 Asura.Razzberry
user: Gilder
By Asura.Razzberry 2013-07-18 19:11:56  
How is it that the altepa mandies dont kill you?
 Odin.Dezaar
サーバ: Odin
user: dezaar
By Odin.Dezaar 2013-07-18 19:43:50  
-pdt gear
-pdt atma
RDM casting phalanx II on you
= Mandies SHOULDN'T kill you ~
[+]
 Shiva.Paulu
サーバ: Shiva
user: Paulu
By Shiva.Paulu 2013-07-18 19:59:04  
Could throw in regen atma for good measure too.
 Siren.Issac
サーバ: Siren
user: Issac
By Siren.Issac 2013-07-18 20:19:11  
I'm a returning player who missed out on the abyssea glory days so I don't have all the great atmas for something like this but I used Apoc (incase it all went wrong), Sea daughter, and plaguebringer atmas along with -pdt gear(about 25%), phalanx II and protect 5. DNC sub.

Leveled the mandies up in altepa quickly to lv100 then pulled about 5~7 at a time and let them beat on me while targeting one to my side so I could never hit any of them. I had the skill up ring and used appropriate skill up food for about half of it. Went from I want to say 160-cap in a few hours.

Then took a friend there and capped his parry, and then another friend and capped his shield. Mandies are great!
 Asura.Ryndo
user: Zarrox
By Asura.Ryndo 2013-07-19 00:26:08  
Thanks for the input guys :) I got the ring and foods easy to get so ill give that a go later. :)
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [33 days between previous and next post]
 Shiva.Mlrlohki
サーバ: Shiva
user: Mlrlohki
By Shiva.Mlrlohki 2013-08-20 23:33:29  
Will have to try it. I did it for Paladin Shield work, got from 160 to 10 below cap in 4 hours as PLD/SCH (SCH for Celerity on Reprisal so I always had Reprisal or Palisade up). Will have to try for MNK eventually though it shouldn't take long, already up to 320.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [61 days between previous and next post]
 Valefor.Xerus
サーバ: Valefor
user: Xerus
By Valefor.Xerus 2013-10-20 22:04:28  
Mandies are fine as long as no one else is also doing it. Main reason for them is because they have high attack rate, and TP moves that won't destroy you, so alternatives would be other mandies (Chasm and Coast are both options, though the ones in Coast don't link) or just a huge horde of things. Orbs in Ule or Grauberg wouldn't be awful choices as alternatives. You're tp will be crazy high as long as you're not evading every attack, so /DNC would likely be best choice for Waltzing yourself unless you have a mule or something around to do all of that stuff. Also, all that new gear is cool and all, but you would likely not want to wear most of it because of the evasion+ you get might be too rough for the mobs, and you cant guard hits that miss you.

3 month late post.
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2013-10-21 03:03:02  
I tried Abyssea yesterday to get the final levels of my Guarding but was unsuccessful.
Even getting ALL mandies of Attohwa on me didn't produce a single guarding skillup in like, what, 30 mins?
Consider I'm at 390 base skill though.

I found it much more proficient to go outside of Adoulin, get all the mandies close to the gates of West Adoulin (wish there were more!), position yourself right in full otronif with some autoregen and /DNC sub and use Healing Waltz every now and then.
With just that I managed to get to 400 in like what, 1 hour? Less than that.

Ionis's increased skillup rate probably did a lot in that, as well as the monster's higher level.
I suggest to go there once your skill is beyond a certain level.

In Abyssea I was using Atma of Vicissitude, Atma of Mounted Champion (is this the name?) and Atma of the Sea Daughter, which is perfect because regain helps with Curing Waltz (hardly had to use any in abyssea...) and slows down the rate at which you attack, making mobs last longer.
To further increase that I was also mainhanding Relic Knuckles, base dynamis relic weapon with 999 delay and +1 damage.
But, as I said before, doubt abyssea is gonna be worth it past a certain level of skill (370ish? maybe less?)
 Bahamut.Braxtaru
サーバ: Bahamut
user: braxtaru
By Bahamut.Braxtaru 2013-10-21 03:16:30  
I recently did a drive to cap all my skills, I did shield in abyssea to cap, but I found the same issue you had.

now-a-days no one does Aby, so the mobs are at their base-level. once your skill ups stop. you need to kill them (individually) so that the base monster level raises up. i spent like 10-15mins killing mandies till their /check level changed. then just parked up again and that took me to cap.

I forget exactly what level it stopped and needed to change, but you can still cap in aby once you lvl the mobs up a tad.
 Bismarck.Kuroganashi
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Kuroganashi 2013-10-21 04:43:56  
Gustav Tunel GOV (PAGE 8)

Worms and Turtles will actually cap ur skill at lvl 99

For Magic:

Worms (NO AGGRO/LINK) (Silence em) Nuke over and over again

Turtles are Slow (Mov-12%) you can Gravity them and kite > nuke or w/e

For Physical:

Worms come /DNC and keep close (they weak)

Turtles Be sure to have TP for curing (their worse DD Move is Breathe will do up to 700 dmg only)

Easy to cap any skill

OR SOA Enemy outside , in Ceiz (I Like Mandy for it ^^)

GL