Washington State Gets Rid Of "sexist" Language

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Washington state gets rid of "sexist" language
Washington state gets rid of "sexist" language
First Page 2 3 ... 14 15 16 ... 23 24 25
 Ragnarok.Ashman
サーバ: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2013-07-10 18:32:51  
Siren.Mosin said: »
part of being a man is having enough sense to know not to smash your fellow human beings.

women are (generally) weaker physically than men. I could probably kill my wife with my bare hands. she would have to roofie me & then choke me out. gender equality aside, there is a difference in the sexes physically, & thus should be part of the equation when determining any / all respones. I have been beaten by women, did I loose my *** & pound them like it was an MMA free for all? nope!

so, in summery, *** ya blazed, person B is fault.

Women are actually equal and/or superior in all aspects: Emotionally, Psychologically, Hormonally, and ESPECIALLY physically. You only think you would be able to kill your wife barehanded due to the propaganda and conditioning of the misogynist, patriarchal oligarchy you were born into.
[+]
 Siren.Flavin
サーバ: Siren
user: Flavin
By Siren.Flavin 2013-07-10 18:33:20  
Blazed1979 said: »
Siren.Flavin said: »
I have been in a fight before... It's called self control... just because you don't seem to have any doesn't mean the rest of us don't... I mean look at the guy in that video posted just one page back... that girl was wailing on him and he just walked away... it's not difficult... unless you're in actual danger that is...

Again, I'm not saying you should be punished but in many cases the problem can be solved without more violence... restraint even..

Also, let's be clear that women aren't always the only ones to get away with things like this... there have been plenty of times where it comes down to a he said she said situation... guy beats ***out of girl... girl can't prove it was he who did it... guy walks away...

People getting away with things is more to do with the judiciary process and requirements for conviction. Its a separate argument.
Its also not isolated to violent crimes, domestic violence. Its across the entire justice system.

I have plenty of self control. I have to. I'm 6'2 and a history of competing in grappling.
Does that mean someone has the right to come up to me, male or female, and assault me or any other male/female who is physically intimidating?

I also have a wife, a sister and a mother. Never laid a hand on any of them or would ever have the reason to because I wouldn't bring someone like Rihana into my life.

But If some crazy female or male ever assaults me, yes I will make sure to put them down and disarm them of any ability to do further harm.
If you can't stop yourself from "slapping a ***" that you could easily put down or are under the impression that our nature is one to respond to violence with violence and that our brains shut down in the process then I would wonder about your self control...

why are you putting "slapping a ***" in quotation marks while quoting me. Please don't misquote me. Where did I say that?
I haven't refereed to women as "***" nor have I described what my physical retaliation would be, nor the bodily effects of it.

You're projecting.
Wops that one was my fault... Corres was the one that said he would slap a *** I apologize...

You did ask If I had ever been in a fight and then went on to say that
Quote:
Guys have you ever been in a physical fight? Honestly man, when you get slapped in the face, do you think your brain is working rationally without the effects of adrenaline and testosterone + your brains natural inclination to meet force with force?

When you get hit, trust me your brain isn't going to send signals to your fists and your legs telling them to "hold on a sec guys, lets think this one through. how hard was that hit? hmm.. here comes another one, lets gauge their intent. We might loose an eye, but we need to make sure they're trying to do us permanent harm before we start defending ourselves"
That when someone hits you your brain no longer works rationally? My brains natural inclination is also not to meet force with force either... Gauging intent? We're talking about domestic violence and I'm pretty sure you know or at least have a good idea if they're trying to kill you or not... so taking the time to gauge their behavior? cmon...
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2013-07-10 18:36:02  
I have been in a fight before... It's called self control... just because you don't seem to have any doesn't mean the rest of us don't... I mean look at the guy in that video posted just one page back... that girl was wailing on him and he just walked away... it's not difficult... unless you're in actual danger that is...

Again, I'm not saying you should be punished but in many cases the problem can be solved without more violence... restraint even..

Also, let's be clear that women aren't always the only ones to get away with things like this... there have been plenty of times where it comes down to a he said she said situation... guy beats ***out of girl... girl can't prove it was he who did it... guy walks away...

People getting away with things is more to do with the judiciary process and requirements for conviction. Its a separate argument.
Its also not isolated to violent crimes, domestic violence. Its across the entire justice system.

I have plenty of self control. I have to. I'm 6'2 and a history of competing in grappling.
Does that mean someone has the right to come up to me, male or female, and assault me or any other male/female who is physically intimidating?

I also have a wife, a sister and a mother. Never laid a hand on any of them or would ever have the reason to because I wouldn't bring someone like Rihana into my life.

But If some crazy female or male ever assaults me, yes I will make sure to put them down and disarm them of any ability to do further harm.
If you can't stop yourself from "slapping a ***" that you could easily put down or are under the impression that our nature is one to respond to violence with violence and that our brains shut down in the process then I would wonder about your self control...

It does not demonstrate "self-control" to sit there and take a beating from a man OR a woman.

Fighting back against a man who is kicking your *** = standing your ground.

Fighting back against a woman who is kicking your *** = you're a misogynist, don't you have any self restraint?

Clearly you don't seek equality
 Siren.Flavin
By Siren.Flavin 2013-07-10 18:37:52  
Oh my Sharon Osbourne... I will say though that the chick who guest starred on Big Bang did try to talk it down a bit... but damn Sharon Osbourne... wtf...

The opening and closing text doesn't really say much about us either though... Why wouldn't we care about those things?

Edit: Barring some crazy persons opinion on the topic... was she convicted and how much time did she get?

If a man had mutilated his wife's breasts for filing a divorce, and John Stewart joked about it on the daily show:

1. He would be taken off air
2. Have to go on public television and apologize
3. Pay a heft fine
4. Never hear the end of it from Feminist groups.
AS I'm reading up on it I'm finding that they were made to publicly apologize as there was public backlash... and people are still talking about it and how insensitive it was so we haven't heard the end of it yet... Not sure if they were fined and no they will most likely not be taken off the air...
 Cerberus.Pukushu
サーバ: Cerberus
user: pukushu
By Cerberus.Pukushu 2013-07-10 18:43:30  
Cerberus.Eugene said: »
Quetzalcoatl.Khrnos said: »
Catherine Kieu drugs her husband, straps him onto the bed, waits for him to wake up, cuts off his penis with a kitchen knife, tosses it into the garbage disposal and turns it on. All because? He was divorcing her.

Response: "He probably deserved it. Hahaha".

Chris Brown beats up Rihanna because she's acting like a crazy ***.

Response: National outrage. What a piece of ***.

But I'm probably missing a few things and oversimplifying it.
I'd say you're oversimplifying. She got life in prison for that.

Pretty sure the point was not the punishments didnt fit the crime. Both were punished and rightly so. Khrnos' point was how society responded to it.
 Cerberus.Eugene
user: Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2013-07-10 18:45:31  
Cerberus.Pukushu said: »
Catherine Kieu drugs her husband, straps him onto the bed, waits for him to wake up, cuts off his penis with a kitchen knife, tosses it into the garbage disposal and turns it on. All because? He was divorcing her.

Pretty sure the point was not the punishments didnt fit the crime. Both were punished and rightly so. Khrnos' point was how society responded to it.
She was punished proportionately greater for her crime. And I feel confident in saying our judicial process is a better representation of our society than Sharon Osbourne is.
[+]
 Siren.Flavin
By Siren.Flavin 2013-07-10 18:53:44  
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »

It does not demonstrate "self-control" to sit there and take a beating from a man OR a woman.

Fighting back against a man who is kicking your *** = standing your ground.

Fighting back against a woman who is kicking your *** = you're a misogynist, don't you have any self restraint?

Clearly you don't seek equality
Clearly you haven't read a single word I've written... REsponding with self control is responding to the situation... It could be against a man or a woman... if you're 200 pounds and an MMA champ and some 115 pound guy comes swinging at you it would, theoretically, be easy for you to control the situation without excessive violence... You don't resort to violence if you don't have to... Man or woman... IT is all about self control... You got your hear so far stuck up your *** where you can only think about thinks being against men that you don't seem to be willing to come to any conclusion other than feminists are a plight to society and I am their victim! If you touch me I will beat you into the ground! granted I am exaggerating...
 Valefor.Applebottoms
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Applebottoms 2013-07-10 18:55:01  

She was punished proportionately greater for her crime. And I feel confident in saying our judicial process is a better representation of our society than Sharon Osbourne is.
But she's so adorable! I wanna give her a hug. D:
 Cerberus.Pukushu
By Cerberus.Pukushu 2013-07-10 18:57:30  

Maybe society was the wrong word. TMZ certainly didnt report on Kieu for weeks, nor did other national media outlets. Maybe the right word is popular opinion. Courts opinion is quite often not popular opinion even though it may represent the values of our society as a whole in a better way.

Lets also be clear, I do not in anyway condone either violent act.
 Valefor.Applebottoms
By Valefor.Applebottoms 2013-07-10 19:00:49  

Maybe society was the wrong word. TMZ certainly didnt report on Kieu for weeks, nor did other national media outlets. Maybe the right word is popular opinion. Courts opinion is quite often not popular opinion even though it may represent the values of our society as a whole in a better way.

Lets also be clear, I do not in anyway condone either violent act.
Make a joke about cutting a man's penis off: lol. that's funny, penis.

Make a joke about hitting a woman: WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU!?

Kinda that mentality.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2013-07-10 19:21:53  
Well this thread was productive.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2013-07-10 19:48:24  
Love the false dichotomy folks.

Chris Brown got ***on because he was an internationally known performer paraded as a good guy, young person doing the right thing before being outed as a self-destructive, woman beating, delinquent. Kinda like Tiger Woods and we all know what happened to him after he cheated on his wife.

The public put faith in Brown and was more than happy to tear into him when their trust is betrayed and so it was with Chris Brown who saw his public image take a nosedive to the point of needing to reinvent himself to remain relevant.

Some random broad who cut her husband's penis off doesn't compare because the public didn't put stock in her to later have to walk back and it's the entire gender roles kerfluffle that results in men being summarily dismissed when bad things happen to them.

He wasn't strong enough.
Shoulda kept his woman in line.
He was probably abusive.
She's an insane psychopath driven to kill by the moon phases.
 Cerberus.Pukushu
By Cerberus.Pukushu 2013-07-10 19:58:57  
@ OP I do think that this was a mostly useless use of time and taxpayer dollars. I understand that wastes of time and taxpayer dollars happen every day in government. If all they do going forward is stop using the old language and start using the new language, then great. No big deal. If they suddenly want to republish and resign every thing that has the old language in it then that kind of government waste is outrageous.

I think that society is moving towards a more gender neutral standard. We certainly are not there and some sections are moving slower and some may never have much equality, but we are moving as a whole. Women are doing things now that 100 years ago would have been unheard of. Military generals and admirals, senators and congresswomen, secretaries of state and supreme court justices, CEO's and presidents of major corporations, prime ministers and pastors as well as many other top ranking political, military, religious and civil positions.

There are less women in these positions than men which is more to do with not as many qualified to do those jobs. Men have been doing those jobs longer and have had the head start on gaining the skills to make them more qualified for longer, but that head start is closing. More and more women are getting equal or better education. As this generation of highly qualified women start getting experience there will be more available talent to choose from for top positions, or in many cases to create their own companies.

The problem 40 yrs ago was that you didnt have the same % of educated or motivated women. That generation holds most of our top positions today, but in the last 40 yrs we have seen a large increase in the % of women that are being educated and also motivated to pursue civil, military political and religious positions of authority. It does take time to 'climb the corporate ladder' though. I would be very surprised if we didnt see a female president in the next 40 yrs though it certainly could be in less than 4 yrs.

tldr;

changing 40,000 words inst an effective use of time/money and the world is changing to be more inclusive, but it takes generations for change to actually happen.
 Cerberus.Pukushu
By Cerberus.Pukushu 2013-07-10 20:02:02  
Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Love the false dichotomy folks.

Chris Brown got ***on because he was an internationally known performer paraded as a good guy, young person doing the right thing before being outed as a self-destructive, woman beating, delinquent. Kinda like Tiger Woods and we all know what happened to him after he cheated on his wife.

The public put faith in Brown and was more than happy to tear into him when their trust is betrayed and so it was with Chris Brown who saw his public image take a nosedive to the point of needing to reinvent himself to remain relevant.

Some random broad who cut her husband's penis off doesn't compare because the public didn't put stock in her to later have to walk back and it's the entire gender roles kerfluffle that results in men being summarily dismissed when bad things happen to them.

He wasn't strong enough.
Shoulda kept his woman in line.
He was probably abusive.
She's an insane psychopath driven to kill by the moon phases.

Your sarcasm has wooshed me. Seriously I have no idea what your point is.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2013-07-10 20:38:48  
Point is dont compare a musical superstar to some rank 'n file pleb.
 Bahamut.Kara
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2013-07-11 00:29:06  
I think that the men and women in this thread who are spouting ***about "keeping women in line" or "punishing her" need to volunteer at domestic abuse groups before making insane and wild assumptions that the "women are asking for it". Or talk with cops/social workers/nurses who deal with this on a daily basis.

Women die everyday from a close family member in the US. Ignoring this fact is disgusting.
[+]
By Blazed1979 2013-07-11 03:26:27  
Bahamut.Kara said: »
I think that the men and women in this thread who are spouting ***about "keeping women in line" or "punishing her" need to volunteer at domestic abuse groups before making insane and wild assumptions that the "women are asking for it". Or talk with cops/social workers/nurses who deal with this on a daily basis.

Women die everyday from a close family member in the US. Ignoring this fact is disgusting.

I hope you're not confusing my desire for true gender equality as anything other than that.

I don't believe anyone needs to be "kept in line". People regulate their own behavior, and providing their actions don't infringe upon the rights of others, they should be free to do w/e the f_ck they want to.

I'll spell it out in simpler forms so no one can misquote me or misrepresent what I am saying.

Any violence is wrong. But the instigator bares a greater portion of the blame. And just because they end up loosing a physical encounter THEY STARTED, shouldn't get them off the hook.

Telling men to "restrain yourselves from responding and retaliating" without telling women to "Restrain yourselves from getting physical" is just a one sided, biased, hypocritical, illogical, irrational approach at truly establishing gender equality and protecting women, from men, AND THEMSELVES.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-07-11 05:15:43  
Was backreading a bit, apologize if I repeat something others already stated.

If I slap someone(impossible due to personal problems, but anyway), I expect to be slapped back, or pushed(and roll for a couple of miles cause I'm a lightweight), but not to be beaten to a pulp. Yes, you do lack self control if you go berserk for a slap. On the same note if a man slaps me I'm not going to sue him, but if he slaps me multiple times or uses violence in general then yes.
Please, don't act like slapping someone or punching them is the same thing, it is not. And going on a rampage cause someone stepped out of line is not acceptable either.
[+]
By Drjones 2013-07-11 08:14:36  
Kinda makes me think about the movie con - air... not really sure if there are actual laws around like that or not though...

Also, there is a difference between defending yourself or ending a threat and beating the ***out of someone... is a g/f that is slapping at you and pushing you really pose a threat to your safety?
Still back reading, but I wanted to address this post.

Flavin, if it was a boyfriend slapping and pushing his girlfriend there wouldn't be hardly anyone questioning whether or not that constituted a threat to her safety. Double standards etc etc.

Now back to catching up on the rest of the thread.
[+]
 Bismarck.Longkissgnight
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Longkissgnight 2013-07-11 08:42:08  
@Drjones

A man slapping a woman around is an equal threat to a woman slapping a man around. Making such a blunder based soley on gender is the epitome of sexism, and the central source of our gender equality problem. A woman can be just as big and strong as a man, and believe it or not... A woman can learn MMA. Do most women have the skills? Ofcouse not! Is it fair to judge ALL women based on some? No, and that is exactly what you are doing.

Try this: A large man is a threat to a small woman.

A large woman is a threat to a small man.

A person is NOT weak because they're a woman...

A person is weak because of personal lifestyle choices.
[+]
 Bismarck.Longkissgnight
By Bismarck.Longkissgnight 2013-07-11 08:51:14  
Regarding this issue, everyone should strive to think freely like Ashman! Wish I could quote his last post, but Im on my "stupid phone."
By Drjones 2013-07-11 08:57:13  
Bismarck.Longkissgnight said: »
Regarding this issue, everyone should strive to think freely like Ashman! Wish I could quote his last post, but Im on my "stupid phone."
So we should all be sarcastic as hell? I think I can manage that.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2013-07-11 09:03:32  
To clear up the Chris Brown and Rihanna issue.

She did not physically attack him first.

In all the court documents I just read it never states she slapped him.

He never claimed she slapped him. She dropped the charges and got back together with him. The state can still choose to prosecute and they did. He pleaded guilty to one charge of some assault type.
 Bismarck.Longkissgnight
By Bismarck.Longkissgnight 2013-07-11 09:04:05  
Drjones said: »
Bismarck.Longkissgnight said: »
So we should all be sarcastic as hell? I think I can manage that.

Sarcasm would be irrelevant. What he said was true, besides the point that women are superior in some aspects.
By Blazed1979 2013-07-11 09:52:04  
I guess when I say retaliate and fend a physical attack off from a women, this is what every feminist sees playing out in their head

When in actual fact, this is what I'm talking about

If I was that dude, the girl would be knocked out cold on the floor, no regrets.

BONUS:

Every man's fantasy !!!!SUPER BONUS!!!!
 Siren.Flavin
By Siren.Flavin 2013-07-11 10:32:47  
I guess when I say retaliate and fend a physical attack off from a women, this is what every feminist sees playing out in their head
When in actual fact, this is what I'm talking about
If I was that dude, the girl would be knocked out cold on the floor, no regrets. BONUS:
Every man's fantasy !!!!SUPER BONUS!!!!
The video you said that was actual fact of what you were talking about he pretty much did nothing... he did what looked like slapping a plate she was holding back up into her face and then everyone else broke it up? Theen you talk about knocking her out... so you would actually respond more violently then what happened in the video?

I have no volume for the first video so I can't really hear what was being said and I don't get how the second video supports your cause... I have some videos to post myself but I won't be able to get to em til later...
 Bismarck.Longkissgnight
By Bismarck.Longkissgnight 2013-07-11 10:41:13  
Rape wouldn't be a fantasy for a man if the woman shot him afterwards.
By Drjones 2013-07-11 10:46:33  
This thread just keeps going further down the rabbit hole.
 Bismarck.Longkissgnight
By Bismarck.Longkissgnight 2013-07-11 10:49:37  
If rapists looked like Brad pitt then it might actually be enjoyable.. Imagine if the girl in the video looked like the stereotypical rapist: dirty, fat, ugly, smelly, etc. Would that be your fantasy?
 Bismarck.Longkissgnight
By Bismarck.Longkissgnight 2013-07-11 10:52:10  
Drjones said: »
This thread just keeps going further down the rabbit hole.

Here.. Have a carrot!
First Page 2 3 ... 14 15 16 ... 23 24 25