users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » Super noob old Paladin returning
Super noob old Paladin returning
 Leviathan.Tavv
サーバ: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Tavv
By Leviathan.Tavv 2013-04-08 21:11:43  
Okay, so I recently got back into the game etc.

I knew what the good stuff was back in the day (2009) but never had any of it. Now I really don't know where to begin. I skimmed these forums for the past few days as well as others and my question is this:

Could I solo most old content with a 99PLD/49DNC?

I talked to a friend who had been playing all this time and got a little advice but I also want to know what the good sub jobs are for PLD anymore. I heard /nin is pretty dead and /whm is what is used for hard stuff now? Are the new weaponskills so good that damage is a solid option for holding enmity now (along with spells of course)?

I looked at the sticky and it didn't quite answer all my questions so thank you very much in advance. I'm sure you get a billion of these all the time over the years so I apologize in advance for annoying the community with these seemingly silly questions.
 Cerberus.Diabolique
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Uchitoru
By Cerberus.Diabolique 2013-04-08 21:34:47  
Whm would be nice for running around maybe, I'm not sure why it would be used for anything besides travel. You should be able to solo most all old content as Pld/Dnc. Going to take awhile but there's no reason why you should die to most anything. /War would be the most common sub still. Not sure if /Run is useful or what really.

Enmity was changed a little in this last patch, I think damage doesn't give as much as it once did but honestly been solo recently so no clue.

One word of advice though. If you don't plan on getting an Ochain or Aegis, or don't have the means to obtain them, it may be a waste of time to play Pld at all. Really sucks but that's just how the game is now. You can get by in Reives or Abyssea and other sort of weak crap with whatever shield, but pretty much nothing else.

Edit: Also, for most of the content you would want gear from, Pld is going to be pretty much useless, so maybe figure out another job to level on the side. No reason to have a Pld tank anything in abyssea, or nyzul II, or salvage II(or I).
By itchi508 2013-04-08 21:35:12  
Are you a career pld? If so follow below advice. If not start a new Job and check other threads for gear advice.

If you don't plan to make relic or emp shield I suggest you play another job or you won't be taken seriously for a main pld tank,,or even be invited in most cases and your goin to struggle and most likely die.
if you want to solo pld in abysea you will need boss/cat wins and atmas.. Therefore you need help at 1st.

with those done now you can pld/war pld/rdm pld/dnc w/e u want as you will be almost invincible with the right atmas.

Start with abysea, get your 5/5 AF3+ 1 & AF3+2. (creed)
Shield: you will want Ochain or Aegis. (Ither route will take wile to make it)
Weapon: Almace is easyest and most preferred.

Equipment: look up the following content on BGwiki.
Meeble burrows
Nyule uncharted. (Phorcys)
Salvage II (Ares+1)
Voidwatch mainly (Mekira & Ogiers)
these items you will want and some are must have for WS, TP and a good DT set.
VW has a lot more than just than what I listed but those are good start for goals along with your VW wins

Also look into some relic +2 equipment as they will also be very beneficial.

Some if these will be very challenging to get and you may not see them for long time. i suggest you stick with abysea until you get most gear you want from there. Start VW w/e possible. Also Salvage and Meebles. As for nyzule you may not be fit to so hold off.

Also if you want to gear your pld you may want to play a dif job to do so as you will find pld rather light on the offense and wont get much action or be very useful in groups. But its still handy and can do fine with it in party or solo if its your only option.

Others will fill in details as I'm to lazy lol but that's a good start there though and will keep you more than busy for next month+ GL
 Leviathan.Tavv
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Tavv
By Leviathan.Tavv 2013-04-08 21:48:55  
That's a really good start so thank you very much.

Mostly the reason why I was looking at PLD is because it was the job I had highest (my only 75 from before the cap was raised) however I've heard how the whole exp burn thing can level of jobs really quickly in Abyssea, but how does that work?

It's not necessarily for lack of wanting to level another job that would be more "useful" but convenience.

From what I've seen I understand though that Ochain and Aegis are the best shields and I would work towards one at least if I decide to take this path but I'm not really sure yet. Thanks so much for your responses.