New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Servers » Phoenix » Defending Ring
Defending Ring
 Fenrir.Sylow
サーバ: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-03-30 22:33:02  
Before someone goes, BUT SAMPLE SIZE, the margin of error for Ridill is .4% (1.8-2.6%) and the margin of error for Defending Ring is 1.2% (3.2-5.5%) --->

SE says they have the same drop rate, so they must interact with treasure hunter differently. If I had to guess, it's because Fafnir drops 13 items and KB drops only 10.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
サーバ: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2013-03-30 22:36:56  
Phorcys said: »
People say Ridill is a 10% drop rate. Well guess what? It's far less than 10% and Defending Ring has a far less drop rate than Ridill.

Wrong.
SE actually confirmed that Dring and Ridill have the same droprate.

Edit: Beaten :<
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-03-30 22:37:54  
They've confirmed that they have the same base droprate, but as FFXIDB says, it doesn't work out that way for some reason, with Ridill being about half as rare.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-03-30 22:38:28  
Actually it could have something to do with them altering Fafnir's drop tables to include Sweet Tea.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2013-03-30 22:38:48  
In the 11th annual census. Page listing all the R/E/Ms, they also listed other rare drops. In the paragraph above the chart, it states this
Quote:
The wide disparity between the numbers for Ridill and the Defending Ring are likely a testament to relative frequency of players taking on the monsters that drop each (the drop rates for the two items are identical).

Source
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-03-30 22:47:54  
Despite what SE says, it's statistically quite unlikely for the difference to be due to sample size.
[+]
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2013-03-30 22:51:33  
Does actually have a piece of R/Ex gear prevent it from dropping into a loot pool? Also, if you already have a Ridill, and one does drop into the pool, unless you drop tbe first one, you can not obtain the new one, for GW to track. If that is the case, it can explain why Ridill has a lower drop rate. The people who kill Fafnir already have it, therefore cannot obtain it again

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2013-03-30 23:06:21  
I guess part of it depends on how ffxidb obtains its data.

Take VW for example. Akvan shows to have a .91% chance at dropping the body. And 2% chance at dropping the bullet. If it goes by actually obtaining the item into your inventory, then people who don't need the bullet may scrap it, or those who have it may not be able to re-obtain it. So the actual drop rate on bullet might be higher than listed. I know I see way more ppl get the bullet per run than the body. Far more than a .91% vs 2%
 Odin.Eikechi
サーバ: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-03-30 23:07:40  
52 out of 1214 for D ring according to database

95 out of 4383 for ridill. So you guys do the math. Sample size isn't the issue I don't think.
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-03-30 23:13:57  
Bismarck.Snprphnx said: »
I guess part of it depends on how ffxidb obtains its data.

Take VW for example. Akvan shows to have a .91% chance at dropping the body. And 2% chance at dropping the bullet. If it goes by actually obtaining the item into your inventory, then people who don't need the bullet may scrap it, or those who have it may not be able to re-obtain it. So the actual drop rate on bullet might be higher than listed. I know I see way more ppl get the bullet per run than the body. Far more than a .91% vs 2%

yet KB nor fafnir have anything to do with that. if it drops it drops, it if it doesn't, it doesn't. Regardless of how VW is carried out, these 2 NMs can be very cut and dry calculated, no?
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2013-03-30 23:17:22  
I'm not questioning sample sizes. I'm wondering at what point does ffxidb show a drop. If it only registers it when it hits a players inventory, then a group who kills Fafnir, and everyone has a Ridill, the drop can not fall to a player, so it may not register it as having dropped at all.
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-03-30 23:29:55  
Bismarck.Snprphnx said: »
I'm not questioning sample sizes. I'm wondering at what point does ffxidb show a drop. If it only registers it when it hits a players inventory, then a group who kills Fafnir, and everyone has a Ridill, the drop can not fall to a player, so it may not register it as having dropped at all.

That would be a terribly inefficient database, and I think it's reaching for a reason to not trust it's numbers.
By Chimerawizard 2013-03-30 23:56:56  
Pretty sure ffxidb does not recognize CFH when checking loot on death if that helps, which explains why guaranteed drops sometimes show 99%. Can also say pixie earring drop rate is way off since is should be kills-d.rings=pixie. That is hopefully all from groups that kill KB and all members already have pixie earrings.
 Asura.Kohanu
サーバ: Asura
user: Kohanu
By Asura.Kohanu 2013-03-31 00:01:57  
I'm honestly not sure what people are confused about here. Of course Ridill and D.Ring work off TH differently. Ridill drops or doesn't, D.Ring is a "one of these two items always drops" item. If, in theory, TH helps to cause an item to drop if it otherwise wouldn't have or expands the range on the percentage roll of it dropping, neither of those things would be taken into effect for D.Ring since the drop slot already has a 100% chance of loading an item. It's just like back in the O.Kote days.

"But TH could just help make D.Ring drop instead of Pixie Earring!"

Seems rather unlike to me, since that would mean TH would have to give specific items preference over others. While possible, it just doesn't seem like something they'd do.
By Kiralai 2013-03-31 00:26:32  
Asura.Kohanu said: »
I'm honestly not sure what people are confused about here. Of course Ridill and D.Ring work off TH differently. Ridill drops or doesn't, D.Ring is a "one of these two items always drops" item. If, in theory, TH helps to cause an item to drop if it otherwise wouldn't have or expands the range on the percentage roll of it dropping, neither of those things would be taken into effect for D.Ring since the drop slot already has a 100% chance of loading an item. It's just like back in the O.Kote days.

"But TH could just help make D.Ring drop instead of Pixie Earring!"

Seems rather unlike to me, since that would mean TH would have to give specific items preference over others. While possible, it just doesn't seem like something they'd do.

You would think that would result in Ridill appearing to have the higher drop rate and not the other way around, though. I'm inclined to believe the same thing you do with regards to how TH works, but it makes you wonder what's causing the disparity in favor of the ring. I suppose just the higher number of kills including instances of nothing dropping because people already have Ridill, but eh...
By Phorcys 2013-03-31 00:42:44  
Phoenix.Suji said: »
Fenrir.Terminus said: »
So much crazy drama for a guy that trying to sell something that lots of people want to buy.
Not sure what you mean, the drama in here is barely worth a handful of popcorn.

^This made me lol
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-03-31 00:47:34  
RA/EX won't even drop if everyone in the party has it, so Snrphnx has a decent point. However, I thought it was pretty much agreed that Ridill droprate was lowered: 2% seems absurd compared to kings days. Perhaps the census overlooked the droprate reduction.
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-03-31 00:49:07  
Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
RA/EX won't even drop if everyone in the party has it, so Snrphnx has a decent point. However, I thought it was pretty much agreed that Ridill droprate was lowered: 2% seems absurd compared to kings days. Perhaps the census overlooked the droprate reduction.

Funny because a billion times over I've had coffer keys drop when I had one, it just says it can't be obtained. I've always heard this, but just can't agree based on the coffer keys.
 Ragnarok.Hevans
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Hev
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2013-03-31 00:53:25  
Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »

no. this isn't true. it was a glitch that was abused in early ffxi to force dring drops. if everyone had a pixie earring it would force dring since they share the same slot. one or the other always drops. it was fixed years ago though.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-03-31 00:56:42  
Odin.Eikechi said: »
Funny because a billion times over I've had coffer keys drop when I had one, it just says it can't be obtained. I've always heard this, but just can't agree based on the coffer keys.
Usable items will drop.

Quote:
no. this isn't true. it was a glitch that was abused in early ffxi to force dring drops. if everyone had a pixie earring it would force dring since they share the same slot. one or the other always drops. it was fixed years ago though.
Everyone knows that. Why don't you tell the Pixie Earrings that didn't drop on over 40 of my KBs. Rare marked gear will not drop if the entire party has it. Since the fix, nothing drops though.. it doesn't force the other item.

You can confirm this in about 15 seconds checking XIDB: dring and pixie combined is only 1078/1214. Joyeuse is 113/115. Uther's grip is 3053 out of 3171. Kamome is 20822 out of 29694.
Check your facts before you correct people.