フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » For the Shinies! A Guide for Thief
For the Shinies! A Guide for Thief
First Page 2 3 ... 223 224 225 ... 261 262 263
 Asura.Lothire
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Lothire
By Asura.Lothire 2020-07-08 19:31:48  
Would anyone here with a well-geared THF be willing to upload their current .LUA to help me with 2 things:

- an LUA file I can swap things in and out of
- a checklist of gear to work towards

Preferably something simple, that allows me to just swap in and out the different pieces of gear that I currently have. There's one posted a bit further down the THF forum but it's from a year ago or so, and probably outdated.

Thanks
By Honeybaked 2020-07-08 22:35:36  
Simon, what is the situation where it is worth using Vajra/Twash over Tauret/Twash? And does it consist of having AM up at all or using Mandalic at all for that matter? I use my Vajra in certain situations where I want a light SC and mainly SA and TA damage. Very interested if there is even more potential use?
By Boshi 2020-07-09 12:35:39  
what about super sweet jugo
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-07-09 12:40:24  
Honestly jugo never really met the moment, it's fun and all

Now it's augs are even more lackluster... evasion+20, really?
By SimonSes 2020-07-09 12:53:48  
Honeybaked said: »
Simon, what is the situation where it is worth using Vajra/Twash over Tauret/Twash? And does it consist of having AM up at all or using Mandalic at all for that matter? I use my Vajra in certain situations where I want a light SC and mainly SA and TA damage. Very interested if there is even more potential use?

Scenarios you mentioned are the ones where Vakra would be very good. AM3 should be used because you dont really lose much building that TP anyway. 3000tp SA or TA Mandalic is very powerful. Other situation would include low attack scenarios. Around 2.0 pdif where Mandalic would give you more pdif gains than crit hit from Evis. That being said the best situation for Vajra would be something that involves one or few of the above combined with being forced to use hybrid set or I should rather say Malignance set. For example Odyssey Sheol B solo would be good example of that.
By SimonSes 2020-07-09 13:11:58  
Asura.Eiryl said: »
Honestly jugo never really met the moment, it's fun and all

Now it's augs are even more lackluster... evasion+20, really?

Its very good augment. There is plenty of pure dps options already. I for sure will be doing one for evasion build. Finally something better than Nibiru Knife (Evasion should be the same, but Jugo is much better offensively on top of that)
 Fenrir.Melphina
サーバ: Fenrir
user: melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2020-07-09 15:00:26  
I was disappointed with the Jugo Kukri +1 augment myself. I was hoping for something that would make it competitive in the DPS category, but I suppose I'm just reminiscing back to the old lvl 75 cap era where blau/sirocco was king among the general thief populace. Back in the era where relic and mythics were absurdly rare.

Quote:
Something something greater colibris..something something...salvage, einherjar, Zeni nms and such....meh

Yeah, but old memories aside, the jugo +1 was already well behind the current DPS options before this update and it got nothing offensively going forward. The evasion however is a nice boon and as simon says, it slots very well into an evasion hybrid build. It's actually a solid augment for the purpose, which just happens to be utility over DPS.

Ternion +1 actually looks like it's a stronger offhand dagger offensively than a perfect taming sari, but with the caveit that you can't just equip plunderer's armlets +3 and cap treasure hunter anymore, and anathema harpe +1 works extremely well as a non REMA offhand option for Tauret. The thing about oddysey so far is that all the upgrades in Both Sheol A AND B are minimal improvements over existing stuff. Kentarch +1 for example... yeah it beats grunfeld rope in rudra's performance, but not by a huge margin. There are lots of new BiS pieces for several jobs from oddysey now, but none of them are revolutionary. It feels like they're feeding us table scraps for now until empyrean releases, but even filler content passes the time and helps keep things interesting.
By Honeybaked 2020-07-09 15:14:27  
SimonSes said: »
Honeybaked said: »

Scenarios you mentioned are the ones where Vakra would be very good. AM3 should be used because you dont really lose much building that TP anyway. 3000tp SA or TA Mandalic is very powerful. Other situation would include low attack scenarios. Around 2.0 pdif where Mandalic would give you more pdif gains than crit hit from Evis. That being said the best situation for Vajra would be something that involves one or few of the above combined with being forced to use hybrid set or I should rather say Malignance set. For example Odyssey Sheol B solo would be good example of that.

Thanks for your answer. Just wanted to confirm I didn't miss something.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-07-09 15:23:55  
Fenrir.Melphina said: »
I was disappointed with the Jugo Kukri +1 augment myself. I was hoping for something that would make it competitive in the DPS category, but I suppose I'm just reminiscing back to the old lvl 75 cap era where blau/sirocco was king among the general thief populace. Back in the era where relic and mythics were absurdly rare.

Quote:
Something something greater colibris..something something...salvage, einherjar, Zeni nms and such....meh

Yeah, but old memories aside, the jugo +1 was already well behind the current DPS options before this update and it got nothing offensively going forward. The evasion however is a nice boon and as simon says, it slots very well into an evasion hybrid build. It's actually a solid augment for the purpose, which just happens to be utility over DPS.

Ternion +1 actually looks like it's a stronger offhand dagger offensively than a perfect taming sari, but with the caveit that you can't just equip plunderer's armlets +3 and cap treasure hunter anymore, and anathema harpe +1 works extremely well as a non REMA offhand option for Tauret. The thing about oddysey so far is that all the upgrades in Both Sheol A AND B are minimal improvements over existing stuff. Kentarch +1 for example... yeah it beats grunfeld rope in rudra's performance, but not by a huge margin. There are lots of new BiS pieces for several jobs from oddysey now, but none of them are revolutionary. It feels like they're feeding us table scraps for now until empyrean releases, but even filler content passes the time and helps keep things interesting.

Table scraps is the name of the game. juuuuuuust enough to keep you busy and not complaining about lack of content while paying $20 a month for nothing.

(I'm not saying it can't be your prerogative to be satisfied, just that, it is what is happening) So that it doesn't "feel like" anything, it is that something.
 Midgardsormr.Epics
サーバ: Midgardsormr
user: syztems
By Midgardsormr.Epics 2020-07-10 10:00:42  
I read critical hits help land TH. Anyone know if that's true? So a "th set" would pretty much be a our af bonuses and amumu?

Just wondering since I have only ever hit th13 like once .
 Carbuncle.Arakon
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: arakon
By Carbuncle.Arakon 2020-07-10 12:50:23  
Midgardsormr.Epics said: »
I read critical hits help land TH. Anyone know if that's true? So a "th set" would pretty much be a our af bonuses and amumu?

I usually farm HTMB on thief and the best way I found to proc TH level up by using all JAs including Provoke (THF/WAR).

I start with Feint, then TA a trust and use SA with Bully if the mob is still targeting me. For the rest of the fight, I am just applying abilities (Steal, Despoil, Provoke, Feint, TA, SA) when they are ready.

Most of the fights end in 5 minutes on VE but I have done 10 mins+ Alexander on Easy and it can hit TH14 regularly.

As for gear, all my gear are TH+, that goes up to TH14+, including herculean helm and legs with TH+, Chaac belt, offhand Taming Sari.
By Rhinos 2020-07-10 12:59:06  

Never heard of crits helping th procs, however SA/TA helps procs and happen to cause crits.
 Bahamut.Unagihito
サーバ: Bahamut
user: eelman
By Bahamut.Unagihito 2020-07-10 13:05:26  
What sets are everyone using for Steal/Mug/Despoil? Just swapping in the obvious JA+ gear? I saw something earlier about a Mug set and HP amount being stolen and it got me wondering.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-07-10 13:10:32  
It's like... ~800 Mug
ItemSet 371031

I don't think anything takes over as new best from Sheol B but hadn't really looked (cacoethic ring is a tie for best)

Steal is just anything with Steal+ not that there's anything worth stealing, and nothing increases tp on despoil, so no swaps
 Shiva.Thorny
サーバ: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2020-07-10 13:12:14  
https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Plun._Bonnet_%2B3 ?
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-07-10 13:13:29  
It only adds gil, not modifies or increases hp in any way (which I would like to see them change, even if it's something dumb like +5% more hp stolen 105%)
By Rhinos 2020-07-10 13:14:32  
Bahamut.Unagihito said: »
What sets are everyone using for Steal/Mug/Despoil? Just swapping in the obvious JA+ gear? I saw something earlier about a Mug set and HP amount being stolen and it got me wondering.

Mug hp drain scales with DEX+AGI(with JP). The others are just ja+
 Quetzalcoatl.Tesseracta
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Tussell
By Quetzalcoatl.Tesseracta 2020-07-10 14:15:29  
Asura.Eiryl said: »
It's like... ~800 Mug
ItemSet 371031

I don't think anything takes over as new best from Sheol B but hadn't really looked (cacoethic ring is a tie for best)

Steal is just anything with Steal+ not that there's anything worth stealing, and nothing increases tp on despoil, so no swaps
Mummu set +2 would like to have a word with you.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-07-10 14:22:01  
That is true, totally forgot about mummu... it's only 43 more, but more is infact more (and much easier than volt)
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2020-07-10 17:37:23  
Does the Despoil+ on some gear affect the amount of TP stolen from Despoil, with capped JPs?
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-07-10 17:41:13  
Nope. Just like mug+ it's for item theft %
 Asura.Kusare
user: gaira
By Asura.Kusare 2020-07-20 03:59:53  
adhemar bonnet path b with set bonus from feet beats blistering sallet for evisceration yes? it's gotta be close though.
 Fenrir.Melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2020-07-20 07:37:45  
Quote:
adhemar bonnet path b with set bonus from feet beats blistering sallet yes? it's gotta be close though.

The main draw of blistering sallet is the accuracy.

Blistering Sallet +1 -- 41 str, 41 dex, 83 total accuracy, 45 total attack, 10% Critical hit rate, 3% Double attack

Adhemar bonnet +1 (Path B) - 31 str, 33 dex, 25 total accuracy, 80 total attack, 2% Critical hit rate (with set bonus active from adhemar hands +1), 6% Critical hit damage, 4% Triple attack rate

So the sallet wins on accuracy, but loses everywhere else. Adhemar's 4% triple attack, 6% critical hit damage, and 35 attack over blistering +1 easily beats out the 8% critical hit rate differential. So you have to ask yourself, do you need the extra 58 accuracy or not? If yes, blistering +1. If no, adhemar +1. Thief generally tends to have an overabundance of accuracy on its gear and is usually attack starved, so in almost every situation the adhemar bonnet +1 is the winner.
 Asura.Kusare
user: gaira
By Asura.Kusare 2020-07-20 07:41:38  
thanks, i'll make kentarch my priority then.
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2020-07-20 09:24:10  
Isn't Adhemar Bonnet +1 B 24.75 acc, not 30?
 Fenrir.Melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2020-07-20 10:36:43  
Yeah, It's 25. Not sure where I found that other 5 accuracy from. I fixed that. It has no bearing on the results though, since the whole point was that the accuracy was the reason you would use the sallet in the first place.
 Midgardsormr.Epics
サーバ: Midgardsormr
user: syztems
By Midgardsormr.Epics 2020-07-20 14:50:48  
Is it possible to land TH higher than 9 initially? Sometimes it seems like urmallahu starts at th10
 Bismarck.Indigla
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Indigla
By Bismarck.Indigla 2020-07-20 14:55:01  
Is it possible to land TH higher than 9 initially? Sometimes it seems like urmallahu starts at th10
Kupower or possibly the escha/reisenjima domain blessing here (I don't remember for sure, but sounds likely, I know kupower for sure) will push beyond the normal initial TH8 starting cap to TH9 making first proc TH10.
[+]
 Fenrir.Melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2020-07-20 14:57:08  
Quote:

Kupower or possibly the escha/reisenjima domain blessing here (I don't remember for sure, but sounds likely, I know kupower for sure) will push beyond the normal initial TH8 starting cap to TH9 making first proc TH10.

TH procs are always incremental. Gear caps at TH 8, so the first proc will always be TH 9. Either you're just missing it in the chat log, or one of the aforementioned TH auras is active. They start TH with +1 and don't display in the log.

Quote:
Hindsight thoughts about sallet stuff from earlier

Also upon further thought sallet is just sub-optimal as a TP head piece. If you need accuracy that much then you should be using or working toward obtaining plunderer's bonnet +3. The cost of lustress hides is about the same as the cost of the relic hat upgrade components too, so if you own neither then the bonnet is the way to go.

Plunderer's Bonnet +3 -- 31 strength, 41 dex, 75 total accuracy, 93 total attack, triple attack + 4%

The fact of the matter is that the sallet gives up 4% triple attack, and no matter how you slice it that's too much of a loss for it to be a top tier headpiece. It's still solid, but there are better options available. Adhemar +1 is the premium headgear for accuracy capped situations, and plunderer's bonnet +3 is the premium headgear for non-accuracy capped situations. Truth be told, our relic hat is really strong and matches up pretty closely to adhemar. The crit damage and rate pushes adhemar ahead slightly, but for a general purpose TP head our bonnet is very good. The sallet only has 9 accuracy up on our relic cap, and our relic cap has 48 more attack than the sallet in addition to 4% triple attack, which again, is more valuable than the 10% crit rate.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-07-20 14:59:07  
The vorseal starts you at 9, first proc 10 like indigla said
First Page 2 3 ... 223 224 225 ... 261 262 263