Apademak and a potentially grateful Bard
First Page 2
 Leviathan.Jackieolivas
サーバ: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Rahziela
By Leviathan.Jackieolivas 2012-12-13 08:28:21  
Hello Leviathan,

JO2 here looking to the masses for help with something I can't do alone.

I am looking to join (or possibly put together) a group to gather pops and kill Apademak for the 75 horns I need to finish my harp. The main catch is that my play time is so prohibitive to me making progress, being outside my area's prime playing hours. I play from 7am-12pm M-F in the Mountain time zone inf west Texas. Meaning I either need to get with a group that can run early in the morning (which I have yet to find) or a European group that runs around 2p-7p GMT. My past efforts to get into a group for that time have so far been fruitless. So here I go to try again.

Anyone that has seen me around knows that I have been trying to join an active group to regular runs of anything together during that timeframe for quite some time now. And playing in such an odd timeframe (I work nights) has meant that I have had to fund my Gjallarhorn to 99 and my harp through the iron plate and colorless soul stages with solo BST Dynamis runs. However, given Apademak's nature of being a colossal pain in the *** (from what I've read; never fought it myself), I have doubts that I could "merc" through this stage effectively.

And so, here I am. If you happen to have a group that runs around 7am-12pm MST (9am-2pm EST, 2pm-7pm GMT) or if you would be interested in joining me in starting a new group to get us all rolling on a project of building something in that timeframe, please find me online some time or PM me here.
 Leviathan.Jackieolivas
By Leviathan.Jackieolivas 2012-12-13 21:37:21  
Wake-up bump before work.
 Siren.Barber
サーバ: Siren
user: Barber
By Siren.Barber 2012-12-13 21:58:05  
I don't know what it is like on leviathan, but on siren there are several people (many of them jp that would be on during your hours) that sell the horns for 500k each. Its not ideal but if you run out of options id try shouting. Or you can brew them but not having alts would mean about 50the brews worth if crour
 Cerberus.Wulfgarson
サーバ: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Wulfgarson 2012-12-13 22:54:18  
i wish u were on Cerb. i work 3rd shift as well, and my play time is 7am-12pm m-f. vanadiel is a ghost town during those hours. GL.
 Leviathan.Jackieolivas
By Leviathan.Jackieolivas 2012-12-14 21:36:04  
Shameless, self-promoting wakeup bump before work.
By Avitori 2012-12-14 22:12:06  
You can definitely merc Apademak horns. He is a bit more difficult than most abyssea NMs but a highly skilled player might do it for the right price. This is the route I would go if I were in your position. Or maybe level another character WHM or NIN and try to kill him yourself.

You could also pay people to brew him for you?
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
サーバ: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2012-12-14 22:43:11  
This is kinda off-topic. I have an alt that I want to build a harp for. My alt has a pretty well geared whm that I used to dbox glavoid/itze/orthrus.

Can I dbox Apademak? either as WHM+THF or WHM+NIN?
 Cerberus.Wulfgarson
By Cerberus.Wulfgarson 2012-12-14 23:02:21  
u can but i highly recommend some form of stun either Violent flourish or /blm on ur alt/mule. and NEVER cast thunder-based magic on it. NEVER.
 Quetzalcoatl.Haxxor
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Haxxor
By Quetzalcoatl.Haxxor 2012-12-14 23:03:56  
Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »
Can I dbox Apademak? either as WHM+THF or WHM+NIN?

Yes whm + nin e z. I did 75 horns in 2 days. I moved him to the bottom of the ramp and had whm mule up top. Avoid breath, used 1 thunder reist atma. He liked to spin and move after lvl up. Used mijin+rr if lithic breath got me.
 Leviathan.Protey
user: Protey
By Leviathan.Protey 2012-12-14 23:49:11  
you don't need to stun apademak, have your whm up on top of the hill where the conflux is. he never gets hit with fulmination. i MNK/WAR tank it all the time and just eat fulmination. Just to make things easier, I go with somewhat of a defense setup here:

Spharai - - Thunder Sachet
Ganesha's Mask Twilight Torque Moonshade Earring Brutal Earring
Thaumas Coat Melee Gloves +2 Defending Ring Shadow Ring
Engulfer Cape Black Belt Thaumas Kecks Melee Gaiters +2

atmas I go with are RR Lion Gnarled Horn

Barthundra will wear off, but it doesn't matter. Leave your whm on top of the cliff. Remember to side tank. When he does fulmination he might turn toward you. Make sure to go back to his side again. He might also turn and do lithic breath. This is more dangerous than fulmination. instantly cast stona and keep cureskin on your tank. weakness will last a minute or two. just ride it out. he is not hard at all since fulmination can't hit your whm. as long as your tank and whm aren't stupid, it's an easy straight kill that takes about 8 minutes.
 Leviathan.Jackieolivas
By Leviathan.Jackieolivas 2012-12-14 23:54:33  
Unfortunately, Iam not set up to be able to use two characters. The computer I play on can barely handle one. Also, I've never done it before and wouldn't know how to go about doing it. If it involves paying Square another fee for a separate account, then crush that idea at the gate. Mules I have. A different account I don't.
 Cerberus.Wulfgarson
By Cerberus.Wulfgarson 2012-12-15 00:06:11  
the stunning i was referring to was to prevent him from self-casting thunder magic to lvl up. but regardless,GL op, i wish u all the best, and hopefully u can complete the stage.
 Sylph.Krsone
サーバ: Sylph
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2012-12-15 00:38:00  
Leviathan.Protey said: »
you don't need to stun apademak, have your whm up on top of the hill where the conflux is. he never gets hit with fulmination. i MNK/WAR tank it all the time and just eat fulmination. Just to make things easier, I go with somewhat of a defense setup here:

Spharai - - Thunder Sachet
Ganesha's Mask Twilight Torque Moonshade Earring Brutal Earring
Thaumas Coat Melee Gloves +2 Defending Ring Shadow Ring
Engulfer Cape Black Belt Thaumas Kecks Melee Gaiters +2

atmas I go with are RR Lion Gnarled Horn

Barthundra will wear off, but it doesn't matter. Leave your whm on top of the cliff. Remember to side tank. When he does fulmination he might turn toward you. Make sure to go back to his side again. He might also turn and do lithic breath. This is more dangerous than fulmination. instantly cast stona and keep cureskin on your tank. weakness will last a minute or two. just ride it out. he is not hard at all since fulmination can't hit your whm. as long as your tank and whm aren't stupid, it's an easy straight kill that takes about 8 minutes.

The fight takes like 3-4 mins with thf/blm and whm/blm fighting it at the pop ???, stun shouldnt resist for the thf for just the 1-3 stuns the fight will last for and you shouldnt see any fulminations if all spells it cast on itself are stunned, and it doesnt kill anyone. You dont need to move it, just tank on its side where it pops, stunning the spells and you shouldnt see one fulmination. (exception: one apa I did during horn trial which didnt kill anyone and didnt have any thunder magic cast on it yet it spammed fulmination as well as the spinning on the spot BS, not sure why).

The fight would ideally be best done thf/war and sch/blm in duo situation id say that way the sch could embrava for both pops and handle stuns by themselves. If you are going monk duo though like you said, with a fanatics powder (to prevent the terror landing) if you're tanking from the side and again spells are stunned, with af2+2 legs and vere the fight should end before hf/powder wears. I think its apa that gives the powder too.
 Bahamut.Bekisa
サーバ: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Bekisa 2012-12-15 01:07:40  
I 2-boxed over half my horns, it's possible but extremely annoying. You may be better off finding random people in shouts who need body seals from Dhorme, and +2 items from Apademak. If you got gil speed things up by buying pop sets or farming them in your spare time. Even if you only do a few kills a day, it's better than none. Always new people in the game needing items, not saying "use them" but help them get their gear and they help you get your horns :)

FYI - it took me almost 3 months to finish my Almace at that stage doing a few kills a couple times a week. Dominion Ops temps help a lot too though it gets annoying to run back and get them after each fight. Better than losing triggers though :)
 Leviathan.Jackieolivas
By Leviathan.Jackieolivas 2012-12-17 07:11:48  
The "just before I log on in the morning" bump.
By Aeyela 2012-12-17 07:14:44  
Violent Flourish is not a reliable stun on Apademak, even on Dancer main with the added accuracy from using Etoile body. Don't rely on it as an important part of your strategy as it will let you down.
 Leviathan.Jackieolivas
By Leviathan.Jackieolivas 2012-12-19 01:48:54  
The "posting from my phone during downtime at work" bump.

Got my first taste of Apademak with mercs. Although I feel like I got gipped... Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you merc something, don't you normally get to BS while they kill it? I was asked to BLM for stuns, which really should have gotten me a discount.

Oh well. 12/75 now.
 Asura.Planet
サーバ: Asura
user: Jovant
By Asura.Planet 2012-12-19 02:34:27  
i dont know if they changed this or not, and i started to get lazy and didnt read all the post above but.... before i quit the game how i got my horns was i would get my 3 mules the keyitem +myself and i would /shout if anyone wanted to sell there keyitem for 100k. invite them to party and i would use 1 brew to take down 3pops, i would interact with my book to pause the brewing process or the ??? below. i could of done 4 kills but it kind of cuts it close. keyitems are gained easy in a xp/gil/item party or whatever.

as for above question: useally if a merc needs help they would offer some type of discount, but apademak wont really lv up to use fulmination if he's killed fast
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2012-12-19 02:38:41  
They have changed it, you can't interact with NPCs anymore to lock your buffs.

EDIT: Oh and you can't get Apademak's KI from a chest either but it's always been like that.
 Carbuncle.Anesthesia
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: analgesia
By Carbuncle.Anesthesia 2012-12-19 02:57:25  
Leviathan.Jackieolivas said: »
Although I feel like I got gipped... Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you merc something, don't you normally get to BS while they kill it? I was asked to BLM for stuns, which really should have gotten me a discount.

Oh well. 12/75 now.

Depends on who's mercing/how much merc competition there is. If they're the only game in town, they get to dictate terms as they kind of have you over a barrel. Also depends on how much you paid. If you paid what your profile says you're willing to pay, you definitely did not get gypped, stuns or no.
 Leviathan.Jackieolivas
By Leviathan.Jackieolivas 2012-12-21 02:30:16  
26/75

It is a real pain mercing this stage. The mercs I've been doing it with is the only group of mercs that have stepped up. So the lack of competition means they have me by the short and curlies. Having to stun and pay 500 each sucks more than a *** on payday when a Navy ship is in port.

If I could finish the other 2/3 of this thing without having to deal with mercs, I would be ecstatic.
 Odin.Eikechi
サーバ: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-12-21 02:39:01  
That sounds like an absolutely horrendous deal. 500 each AND you are on stun duty? F that noise.
[+]
 Leviathan.Jackieolivas
By Leviathan.Jackieolivas 2012-12-21 02:41:59  
No other choice, unfortunately. Like I said, they are the only gig in town, and I still haven't gotten any hits for forming or joining a group.
By Mookies 2012-12-21 03:52:50  
Stand up for yourself. If you're paying them to merc, they do the work. If you're participating in the fights (in a key role) then you should at the VERY least get a discount.

F that noise.
[+]
 Odin.Eikechi
サーバ: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-12-21 03:56:34  
Also this might be a REALLY dumb question, but if you don't have at least a duo/trio to do Apad's with.. why are you making the HARP of all things?
 Leviathan.Jackieolivas
By Leviathan.Jackieolivas 2012-12-21 04:22:18  
Odin.Eikechi said: »
Also this might be a REALLY dumb question, but if you don't have at least a duo/trio to do Apad's with.. why are you making the HARP of all things?

Because in all the years I've been playing, into taking over this character from my sister, BRD and BST have always been my favorite job classes to play. As posted above, I'm on night shifts right now. When I get moved back to days and can get back into my time zone's normal prime hours for playing, I'll be more than ready to do my part.

And given that I already have Gjallarhorn at full tilt, Daurdabla is the next step to being that much more useful to the community.
 Siren.Heavendragon
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Heavendragon 2012-12-21 04:55:33  
Man if you would be on my Server we could uo it for free. -.-
Need horns to. We just could splitt....
 Leviathan.Jackieolivas
By Leviathan.Jackieolivas 2012-12-25 03:06:50  
The "Twas the night before Christmas and I'm stuck at work" bump.

47/75

At almost 2/3 done, and all with mercs. Got that group to realize that having to stun for them warrants a discount. I'm pretty much resigned to fate and have accepted that I'll have buy the last 28 horns as well.

I still hold out hope that I can find a group to run with. Particularly since the game's focus has shifted slightly toward Salvage. That works since my next project is building Carwenhan. I can already taste the pain of the endless Dynamis runs needed to fund that...
 Leviathan.Jackieolivas
By Leviathan.Jackieolivas 2012-12-27 13:14:33  
Done!

[+]
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-12-27 13:17:37  
Quote:
Apademak and a potentially grateful Bard
Made me chuckle. There's also a chance the bard will be a *** and tell you off after you help him!
First Page 2