users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » THF ws gear
THF ws gear
 Phoenix.Kasuki
サーバ: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Kasuki
By Phoenix.Kasuki 2009-06-09 10:55:05  
excluding anything from salvage what would everyone recommend for a THF ws build?
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-06-09 10:57:50  
hecatomb for head legs hands feet. Enkidu would be good subsitute for legs/hands. Um dragon harness or mirke with acc/att for body. hecatomb if you got mandau. Enkidu body not bad either really. Cuch or warwolf for belt. Foragers for back. idk how many slots are you able to easily maccro lol?
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
サーバ: Midgardsormr
user: frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-06-09 10:59:46  
This is a loaded question lol. Which WS, stacked with what?
I.E. DE > solo, DE w/ TA, DE with SATA, DE with SA
SB > solo, SB w/ TA etc etc.

Setup can vary wildly for each.
 Asura.Dajociont
サーバ: Asura
user: Jamehkun
By Asura.Dajociont 2009-06-09 11:00:16  
Heca head, body, hands, feet. Heca legs or enkidu legs, flame/rajas ring. Warwolf mantle, forager's/cerberus mantle +1, brutal earring/triumph earring. Gorget depending on ws you're using, soil for Dancing Edge, etc.
 Phoenix.Kasuki
By Phoenix.Kasuki 2009-06-09 11:03:25  
can easily make macros for all slots thats not a problem i'm pretty much just trying to get the highest dmg output i can from a ws with Blau and TH knife.

was thinking pretty much full heca (aside from hat dont do hnm lol) back cuchu waist warwolf neck a gorget dex rings and a dex earring
 Unicorn.Excesspain
サーバ: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Excesspain 2009-06-09 11:03:50  
This is what I use.

Some stuff I just don't care to switch out.
aka Bravo's, since I don't have anything to swap it with atm.
 Phoenix.Kasuki
By Phoenix.Kasuki 2009-06-09 11:04:42  
Frobeus said:
This is a loaded question lol. Which WS, stacked with what?
I.E. DE > solo, DE w/ TA, DE with SATA, DE with SA
SB > solo, SB w/ TA etc etc.

Setup can vary wildly for each.

Lets just say Solo for now lol also i am lead to beleive DE is best thf ws but would like confirmation on this
 Phoenix.Kasuki
By Phoenix.Kasuki 2009-06-09 11:06:28  
Excesspain said:

lol thats bassically what i had in mind apart from the legs
 Shiva.Artemicion
サーバ: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-06-09 11:09:53
 Delete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Well, assuming you would be using dancing edge the most, your setup would be somewhat dependent on whether you ate meat or sushi. Obviously if you ate sushi you could emphasize your gear learning more twords STR, WS mods and attack in gear such as Hecatomb, and vice versa with eating meat with gear such as Enkidu or Homam which adds good handfuls of accuracy.

For the other less multi-hit based WSes like Shark Bite and Mandalic Stab, it's pretty hard to go wrong as far as accuracy needs go, so most people go STR/Mod/Atk crazy and the results are pretty stellar.
 Unicorn.Excesspain
By Unicorn.Excesspain 2009-06-09 11:11:20  
Yeah I'm just lazy and holding out for my Homam legs. I think I'm next in line lol.

Maybe I'll save up some zeni and get enkidu sub.
 Phoenix.Kasuki
By Phoenix.Kasuki 2009-06-09 11:12:59  
so building up on STR would be better over all for my DE?
 Shiva.Artemicion
サーバ: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-06-09 11:14:46
 Delete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

The gear setups somewhat depend on your situation of using it as Frobeus mentioned. However, generally speaking your priorities in DE should be: Accuracy > Attack > STR > Mods
 Phoenix.Kasuki
By Phoenix.Kasuki 2009-06-09 11:20:27  
I see, so in theory Amemet +1 > Cuchu since i can make up acc else where with other ws gear and such.

As for being situational i mainly use my thf for Farming and helping friends maybe one day ;p end game occasionally for a change of pace.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-06-09 11:21:06  
DE

IDK your weapons or what you have access to, so I won't list them

Ammo: Fire Bomblet
Head: Heca > orc hat > enkidu > skadi
Neck: Gorget/Love -> Crazy math on this
Ear1: Pixie > hollow > merman (acc dependent)
Ear2: Brutal
Body: Skadi > Anteres(unsure if S > A is correct)> DH+1 (acc dependent) > Mirke (w/ correct aug) > Enkidu
Hand: Heca > Enkidu > skadi
Ring: Thunder > Acc ring (Acc dependent)
Ring: Rajas
Back: Cuchu > Cerb+1 > Forag (Fuzzy on this one tbh)
Wast: Warwolf > Life (Acc dependent)
Legs: Heca > Enki > Oily > skadi > DL+1
Feet: Heca > Enki > skadi

I prob forgot some stuff, since I don't think about thf gear all that much

When you solo, more STR and acc and att
When you stack with SA, more dex since it adds directly to SA but still some acc and att
When you stack with TA, revamp the whole thing for AGI and acc

Thats just DE.

If you go to the "Post pics of your gear" thread on BG and find some of the good thfs there, they have *** loads of different builds.
 Siren.Bungie
サーバ: Siren
user: Bungie
By Siren.Bungie 2009-06-09 11:25:15  
this is what i use, works well for me.

http://www.ffxiah.com/item_sets.php?id=51056

I just go all out DEX pretty much and rape ***, its more about choosing the right ws per mob.

i never stack str or attack really unless i dont have SATA to stack it with and I'm solo DD (cept for ***like roc/sim)..
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-06-09 11:25:18  
Kasuki said:
I see, so in theory Amemet +1 > Cuchu since i can make up acc else where with other ws gear and such.

As for being situational i mainly use my thf for Farming and helping friends maybe one day ;p end game occasionally for a change of pace.

So many things to consider. If your farming lower mobs where you are capped on acc then you can just mod out like crazy.

If your fighting something with higher evasion your going to need a lot of acc on a multihit WS
Sushi or meat will vary your multihit a ton.

Shark and Man stab can be great with the right build.

Do you have X's?

The final thf ws (total brain fart, the name escapes me) is a crit based WS, and since X's adds quite an umph to crits, it makes that WS very strong.
 Phoenix.Kasuki
By Phoenix.Kasuki 2009-06-09 11:36:39  
Bungie said:
this is what i use, works well for me.

http://www.ffxiah.com/item_sets.php?id=51056

I just go all out DEX pretty much and rape ***, its more about choosing the right ws per mob.

i never stack str or attack really unless i dont have SATA to stack it with and I'm solo DD (cept for ***like roc/sim)..

this is a pretty nice build any other head peices u could recommend? i'm thinking O hat or Denali, i cant do salvage and i dont currently do HNM ; ; so no heca hat for me lol

I could get the Enkidu's cap @.@ just need to get up that far in ZNMs and need to find some good help for the fight lol and whats the Orc hat?
 Bahamut.Raenryong
サーバ: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-06-09 11:39:02  
DEX is better than STR. If you build up on STR you'll find fSTR, the only contributing part of STR damage on THF (barring Mercy Stroke) capping very early on and most of it being wasted.

WSs for THF:

Low eva/def enemies: DE
Low eva/med def enemies: Evis
Med eva/med def enemies: Shark Bite
High eva/high def enemies: Mandalic Stab

All are built differently~
[+]
 Unicorn.Excesspain
By Unicorn.Excesspain 2009-06-09 11:42:21  
Evisceration Fro.
 Odin.Aramina
サーバ: Odin
user: Darkmoose
By Odin.Aramina 2009-06-09 11:50:27  
My THF is 74 at the moment (on Darkmoose) and I'm still working on gearing it and tweaking gear as I work toward 75.

I spend most of my time farming duo with a friend on SAM/DNC, so I get a large portion of my damage from SA+WS or TA+WS plus Skillchain Damage. Because of how I play, here's what I've been using at 74, with planned changes for 75.

I wouldn't mind some constructive comments of what I have good and bad, as well as maybe some areas where I'm just totally wrong. For reference, on DC Sahagin (loving the SSG lately), I typically hit DE and Evisceration for about 1-1.3k and Shark Bite is pretty consistent around 900-1k.

Working in Tandem with a Soboro SAM/DNC who opens the skillchains (Dark Gekko>Evis, Light Kasha>Shark, or Distortion Enpi>DE) for me, that leads to massive skillchain damage, often 2-2.5k combined just from closing WS and SC.

Main: Stylet (Saving for Blau)
Offhand: Thief Knife/Misericorde
Ranged: Always a crossbow, just like always a bow on my SAM.
Head: Optical Hat (Definitely need to do something here)
Neck: Chivalrous Chain (Light Gorget for Shark/Mandalic Stab, working on Breeze Gorget for DE/Evisceration)
Ear1: Fenrir/Spike depending on time of day (Brutal at 75)
Ear2: Ethereal Earring
Body: Dragon Harness (Planning to get Mirke +Acc/Atk)
Hands: Dragon Mittens (Have N.Hands, saving for Cursed atm)
Ring1: Thunder Ring (I have a Flame for solo WS)
Ring2: Rajas Ring
Back: Amemet Mantle +1
Waist: Warwolf Belt
Legs: Dragon Subligar
Feet: Dragon Leggings

I will likely get N.Feet and N.Body next time we get them to drop, since I have tons of Sky points at the moment.

Because I'm usually using things stacked with SA and sometimes TA, I tend to favor DEX Builds because of the SA Boost and WS Mods, with a healthy amount of AGI also.

I don't typically go straight AGI for TA+WS since the WS Mods are still primarily DEX, so I get some AGI and some DEX.

I'm not sure if I'm "doing it wrong" but I'm pretty satisfied with the results so far.

As far as TP Builds, I have Accuracy and Haste based setups, and they seem to work fairly well for me, but this is about WS builds.

I know that solo, when I'm not getting to use SA or TA, I'm better off with STR/Atk.

Anyway, I'm interested to see how this thread develops and I'd like to mess around with stuff.

THF is my 6th 75 job, and I'm fairly well equipped on the others, so I don't have loads of cash or space to throw at it right now. Because of that, I've been farming a lot and tweaking things piece by piece along the way. Blau, Scirocco, Ziska, etc are all in the works, but still a ways off.
 Odin.Aramina
サーバ: Odin
user: Darkmoose
By Odin.Aramina 2009-06-09 16:00:58  
Bump because this got buried in midday BS.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
サーバ: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-06-09 16:03:59  
I'd still use DEX for soloWS. DEX and STR are roughly even on an unstacked DE/Evis, and DEX gives you accuracy whereas STR gives you atk, acc > atk.