フォーラム » FFXIV » General » Need Your Help: FF14 Project
Need Your Help: FF14 Project
 Fairy.Yakutatazu
サーバ: Fairy
Game: FFXI
By Fairy.Yakutatazu 2009-06-08 11:39:07  
Tbest said:
Wooooodum said:
And Tbest, billions of people believe in the Bible, but that doesn't make it the best religion.

Interesting attempt at an analogy there. Since when does Bible = religion? The Bible in all of its various forms is probably the best 'resource' concerning Christianity in most Christians' views.
It's interesting you'd bring religion into this discussion though... I'm sure that's not where you want this thread to go. Imo however... The Bible is nothing more than a decent collection of stories.

Woo had a good point, I think you missed it Tbest. I agree with what you stated though.

Caiyuo said:
Personally I think regardless of your opinion on the style of manner of operation Woo's site is taking, competition is almost always better because either way it will force Woo's and other's FF14 sites to improve to become the FFXIV site.

^ This, couldn't have said it better myself.
[+]
 Seraph.Caiyuo
サーバ: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-06-08 11:46:44  
Wooooodum said:
Caiyuo, as little or as much as you could contribute would make all the difference. :)
*officially sweet-talked* If being a smooth-talker translates to running a smooth site, you might be onto something. lol PM inc!
 Fairy.Tbest
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-06-08 11:47:23  
*Shrugs.*
It sounds like your definition of drawing someone deeper into a site differs from mine. I don't believe that constitutes using the standard and useful features of a site.

Hmmm.. I think that competition in general and to an extent is good. When it comes to sites regarding a game however, I believe that collaboration is more useful. Bringing sites together to work in conjunction with each other is, in my opinion, a better idea. Like I had stated previously, I would rather see one massive, amazing, uber, (whatever other positive adjective you want to add) site that has every feature anyone could possibly want and the majority of the community working on it than several sites trying to one-up the others.
 Ragnarok.Anye
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-06-08 11:55:56  
Tbest said:
I would rather see one massive, amazing, uber, (whatever other positive adjective you want to add) site that has every feature anyone could possibly want and the majority of the community working on it than several sites trying to one-up the others.

I don't know. I myself use both FFXIclopedia.org and Allakhazam.com to see various opinions or experiences. You can look at Discussions on FFXI wiki, and comments on Alla just to see where people have attempted and succeeded, or even failed.

Having one end-all, be-all site is nice, but depending on the player-base, it may or may not be better than the whole wiki/Alla/somepage dealio we have atm.

/wave Wooooodum, supporting ya 100% on this^^
 Fairy.Yakutatazu
By Fairy.Yakutatazu 2009-06-08 12:13:17  
Tbest said:
*Shrugs.*
It sounds like your definition of drawing someone deeper into a site differs from mine. I don't believe that constitutes using the standard and useful features of a site.

Yeah I'd guess everyone has a different definition for that. I wasn't referring to only features though. For me, this site although it doesn't look extravagant, it's pleasing to look at for me. When I go to Wiki however, I'm not too pleased with the layout/design. Visuals are very highly opinionated (My friends and I have arguments over which graphics are better between WoW vs FFXI for example) so it's hard to captivate everyone. There's a mix between features/design required to draw me in at least.
Tbest said:
Hmmm.. I think that competition in general and to an extent is good. When it comes to sites regarding a game however, I believe that collaboration is more useful. Bringing sites together to work in conjunction with each other is, in my opinion, a better idea. Like I had stated previously, I would rather see one massive, amazing, uber, (whatever other positive adjective you want to add) site that has every feature anyone could possibly want and the majority of the community working on it than several sites trying to one-up the others.

You beat me to the collaboration aspect, I was about to ask Woo if he was planning on doing so, mainly with sites such as this. I'm not too sure how that would work with sites such as Wiki and Alla though. It's good to be friendly with the competition, but if you are too co-operative then they might just take all your best ideas and kill you off.

The bad thing about no competition is that whoever has the monopoly or w/e the case tends to get lazy. They may start out with good intentions but if they aren't careful they fall to greed and corruption. Why should Wiki or any other site be more innovative if no one use any other sites? Improvements are driven by competition to 'one-up' the rest.

Competition is a healthy occurrence, it's needed. Yes you could argue that there is already competition, but honestly, most of the competition is the same. These sites are where I would compare Walmart/Kmart etc to have been before the 'supercenters'. Then someone started making shopping more convenient and and the 'big guys' improved.

If you're a Wiki or Alla worshiper then the most this proposed site could do is make what you love even better. You'd be a fool to think they don't have staff members that browse for competition. Good or bad, pass or fail, the least Woo can do is drive the 'big guys' to improve.

Anye said:
Having one end-all, be-all site is nice, but depending on the player-base, it may or may not be better than the whole wiki/Alla/somepage dealio we have atm.

I agree, it depends entirely on the player-base.

I think a huge aspect is security. Personally I stopped and have never since used Somepage since the virus plague they had. If users don't feel safe visiting then it's an auto-bomb.
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-06-08 12:18:04  
Yakutatazu said:
I think a huge aspect is security. Personally I stopped and have never since used Somepage since the virus plague they had. If users don't feel safe visiting then it's an auto-bomb.

Same. I get all the info I need between here and wiki for FFXI. I used to use it way back when I first got into playing, but upon discovering the wiki I never really went back...

And I avoid Alla...never really impressed with it, tbh.
[+]
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-06-08 12:24:15  
Let's take FFXIAH for example. The admins here are constantly improving the site and adding new features, even after having a 'monopoly' on the AH information and (I'm guessing) massive amounts of hits to the site per day.
I'm taking another guess here, but... I would guess it's not the site's need to be competitive with other sites and draw people to view it, but merely their ambition to create a better site that drives them to improve the site.

I feel that "this" reasoning for improving a site and implementing new features is the one needed for a site, not simply "because another site has a feature people like".
 Remora.Rhinok
サーバ: Remora
user: Rhinok
By Remora.Rhinok 2009-06-08 12:37:15  
Woodum DONT LOSE FAITH!
Anyone who argues against woodum is a fool.
His avatar is more eye-catching than alyria's.
[+]
 Garuda.Wooooodum
サーバ: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-06-08 12:37:20  
You seem to think we're going to work on this based on the other sites, just to be better than them. Incorrect, you are reading what you want to read.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
サーバ: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-06-08 12:43:16  
Rhinok said:
Woodum DONT LOSE FAITH!
Anyone who argues against woodum is a fool.
His avatar is more eye-catching than alyria's.

/jealous!

Well I hope to see the site with browsing for things easier than always having to clicking more links to get to where you wanted to go.

I like a clean easy to browse site.
 Fairy.Yakutatazu
By Fairy.Yakutatazu 2009-06-08 12:48:42  
Yes, but look at Wiki and Alla.. they don't 'improve' they only add crap like podcasts to them.

As for this site, it's popularity and hits have increased since they first started adding on. Yes they do improve to better their site, but it is also good for business. Take a look at the ads, a year ago all I saw was RMT ads, now I can load a page and not see a single RMT ad.

It only takes 1 dissatisfied user to give reason for a revolution (I doubt it will be that drastic) and Woo has more than one already. I fail to see a single valid reason why Woo shouldn't try. You (anyone satisfied with the current sites) may not want it but there are many that do.

Wooooodum said:
You seem to think we're going to work on this based on the other sites, just to be better than them. Incorrect, you are reading what you want to read.

SE promises us a 'new' MMO approach, what better way than a 'new' MMO site approach.
[+]
 Garuda.Wooooodum
サーバ: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-06-08 15:49:01  
Thank you for all the PM's everyone. Got quite a few of them so it's gonna take me a moment to reply to them all, but thanks! Never thought I'd get this much support. :)
 Odin.Blazza
サーバ: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-06-08 22:00:15  
Tbest, one suggestion you came up with was having one super mega ultra site that the entire community uses and contributes to, the issue is that if that site is the wiki, then there will never be any improvement to the actual workings of the site, which is an issue. Sure, there'll be a hell of a lot of information, as well as an endless supply of peoples views, opinions and guides, but the format will always stay the same. For that reason alone, having other sites, even if they suck, is a good idea.

But anyway, the fact of the matter is that Woooo wants to try this, and he has people willing to help, and other people willing to visit the site. That's really all you need to know, if you don't like it you're more than welcome to only go to wiki. Either way, stfu, no-one cares.

And to the guy asking about taru-taru, FFXIV will have similar races to FFXI, from what I understand, they won't be exactly the same (galkas have no tails) and have different names, but they'll all be there. I personally am hoping for manthras and she-galkas, as well as perhaps another race or two added in just for shits and giggles (from the picture WoOoOoO linked there looks like a child race?).
[+]
 Asura.Ludoggy
サーバ: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-06-08 22:02:34  
Blazza said:
(from the picture WoOoOoO linked there looks like a child race?).

I'm sure you can guess I'm a very happy camper.
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-06-09 00:30:30  
Blazza said:
Tbest, one suggestion you came up with was having one super mega ultra site that the entire community uses and contributes to, the issue is that if that site is the wiki, then there will never be any improvement to the actual workings of the site, which is an issue. Sure, there'll be a hell of a lot of information, as well as an endless supply of peoples views, opinions and guides, but the format will always stay the same. For that reason alone, having other sites, even if they suck, is a good idea.

But anyway, the fact of the matter is that Woooo wants to try this, and he has people willing to help, and other people willing to visit the site. That's really all you need to know, if you don't like it you're more than welcome to only go to wiki. Either way, stfu, no-one cares.

And to the guy asking about taru-taru, FFXIV will have similar races to FFXI, from what I understand, they won't be exactly the same (galkas have no tails) and have different names, but they'll all be there. I personally am hoping for manthras and she-galkas, as well as perhaps another race or two added in just for shits and giggles (from the picture WoOoOoO linked there looks like a child race?).

:O Brilliant idea! Wow, sure is a good thing I listen to your advice and actually give a damn about what you have to say. Ohh.... Wait... I don't. Sorry I got your hopes up there.

Last I checked, everyone on this forum was free to give his or her opinion on any matter. Yes, we all get the warnings from Ms. Moderator, but as long as we're not posting inappropriate content, cursing a ton, blatantly spamming, and so on we're pretty much free to speak our minds. =)

Don't you just love this forum?

On-topic: Like I've stated before, I prefer sites be similar to wiki and straight-forward. If I need info on a certain NM, quest, npc, etc. wiki has me covered. It serves its purpose and I like that. =)

Semi-on-topic: That 'child' race with the horns looks pretty cool. What was it previously called again?
[+]
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-06-09 01:05:09  
Actually I've never had a warning because I'm not negative *** like you are.

Yes, we all have the right to state our opinion, we also have the right to realise when no-one cares and to shut the *** up, a right you're ignoring.
 Bismarck.Kuroganashi
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Kuroganashi 2009-06-09 01:33:13  
Blazza said:

This is like talking of WoW's return after thrashing other MMOs to distract money off Final Fantasy Online (Not even intended to be called XI);

The flying mounts were meant for the Chocobos, this is like asking which came first? Final Fantasy or Blizzard Entertainment, just because Eugene Choi SOUNDS different from Eugene G. Choy;

Then this recalls the time of Dungeons & Dragons to Magic The Gathering to Nostradamus to The Crusades to Monty Python.

Just face the facts that Native Americans were known as Asians & just about every other country had an Asian at some point. It's like asking, who was the first person that designed the entire myspace.com layout originally & had the permission of Tony Hawk's Nintendo 64 games to design the base art engine of ToAU / WoG / ACP++ mainly as well as story production but got bought out of the money this whole time; As well as being affiliated with designing youtube.com layout with the permission of google.com because of the families involved about googleplexed theorems.

"I INVENTED THE PIANO KEY NECK TIE! I INVENTED IT! WHAT HAVE YOU GOT DEREK?! NOTHING! NOTHING! NOTHING!" ---Mugatu "Zoolander";
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Odin.Karusan
user: Karusan
By Odin.Karusan 2009-06-09 02:31:39  
If I remember correctly the way it sort of worked from a user standpoint. First was Alla, then was somepage, then was ffxi-atlas, then was wiki. Each took an idea from the previous and added to it to form something better. You can probably throw other sites in but I don't care about them. Point is progression and improvement was had and it's the end user that benefits. I'll just say good luck Woo on your Project, if at the end of it you end up with even a small community site then you should consider yourself successful and that's something you should keep in mind even if there are haters.

The reason wiki is so successful is because it can be updated by so many users. The problem with many sites run by a team is that the team gets lazy or worn out and doesn't have a chance to actually play the game. Not something I'm saying will happen but you do need to remember Woo that the important thing is that you experience the world of FFXIV, not spend all your time administering it.

At least we have a long time before any of that sort of thing becomes a problem. :)

Oh and Woo, I didn't mean don't post the link to your website I just mean don't act like it's not yours. You should take pride in your work. :)
 Caitsith.Neonracer
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2009-06-09 03:40:25  
Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Yakutatazu said:

Same. I get all the info I need between here and wiki for FFXI. I used to use it way back when I first got into playing, but upon discovering the wiki I never really went back...

And I avoid Alla...never really impressed with it, tbh.

Right.. a place where it is congested or plagued with viruses, isn't my idea of a place where info should be retained. After I was told about the "Wikia", I went there isntead. As for Alla, I said thell with it.. b.c it was B.S IMHO, and kinda too Emo for my likings,but FFXI-Atlas or Vana'diel Atlas.. those 2 are my 2 personal treasure trouves of over-flowing wealth on info.

=/
 Asura.Korpg
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-06-09 06:03:14  
Tyfoon said:
isnt it better to postpone this till the game actualy comes out?

Plus, doesn't everyone want to go to wiki at the first sign because A) its like the biggest and fastest way to post/look up useful information that you can just ignore the useless info (aka threads about who's the better tank)?

Just read up to your second bump on your mule, because Filielle pretty much killed this thread later on. I would love to imput my knowledge, but all my knowledge that I would share would be knowledge you can prove with, so I can't until the game comes out.
 Odin.Karusan
By Odin.Karusan 2009-06-09 06:05:51  
Korpg already has a website registered anyway, it's called figjam.com
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-06-09 06:08:16  
No no no Korpg, Tbest killed this thread well before crazy chops did.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-06-09 06:11:04  
Karusan said:
Korpg already has a website registered anyway, it's called figjam.com

I'll bite. What in the hell is figjam.com? I'm not checking it until I know its safe and doesn't have shitload of viruses waiting for me to lose my info from.
Blazza said:
No no no Korpg, Tbest killed this thread well before crazy chops did.

I'll bite. What did Tbest say to kill this thread?
 Odin.Karusan
By Odin.Karusan 2009-06-09 06:17:05  
Korpg said:

I'll bite. What in the hell is figjam.com? I'm not checking it until I know its safe and doesn't have shitload of viruses waiting for me to lose my info from.

It's safe

Edit: Although not very informative of what figjam means. Does make me laugh though.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-06-09 06:28:51  
Karusan said:
Korpg said:

It's safe

Still not going there.

What is it? I know it has some sort of hidden meaning to it. So spill the beans son.
 Odin.Karusan
By Odin.Karusan 2009-06-09 07:00:26  
Even if you looked you'd still ask me to explain.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-06-09 07:37:03  
Korpg, look it up in the dictionary you fool.
[+]
 Bismarck.Kuroganashi
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Kuroganashi 2009-06-09 07:58:17  
Karusan said:
Korpg said:

It's safe

Edit: Although not very informative of what figjam means. Does make me laugh though.

Fig fruits from Greece & Jam being a stasis of fermentation to fruit alcohol.
[+]