フォーラム » FFXI » General » New Computer Help
New Computer Help
 Bahamut.Foxxy
サーバ: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Foxxy
By Bahamut.Foxxy 2009-06-08 00:13:11  
I got for graduation a laptop that i wanna play ffxi on
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9173262&st=asus+g50vt&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1218044029168
i installed ffxi and all the expansions cept wotg cuz i havnt bought it for comp yet, i normaly play on 360, i cant seem to get it to run with windower when i launch it with windower it works fine on playonline but not ffxi ... w/o windower i can get loged on and everything, but it looks very pixelated and ugly and not how it should w/ a brand new comp built for gaming ... is there something i need to do to make it run better and for windower to work
[+]
 Seraph.Caiyuo
サーバ: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-06-08 00:39:13  
I'm just taking a shot in the dark at the moment, Foxxy, but in general laptops with Nvidia-based graphics cards like the one you have have trouble with ffxi right out of the gate. Most people I know are able to fix the problems with updated drivers, so I'll link you the page that Nvidia reports as the mos up-to-date for your laptop and hopefully that will fix the shitty display problems. From the link you gave, these drivers are for a GeForce 9800M GS card with Vista 64-bit: http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_notebook_winvista64_185.85_whql.html - If this doesn't help it may be as simple as running the FFXI config utility and changing some graphics settings.

Hopefully that's accurate, but that site has an easy search tool to use for the drivers if the information is incorrect. As for your problems with Windower, I'd check thus guide out if you haven't already: http://wiki.windower.net/guides/vista_guide - In general this fixes most people's problems, in addition to making sure you're using the most up-to-date version of Windower provided on their site. Make sure to read the guide from start to finish just in case any small changes help.

Good luck!
[+]
 Bahamut.Foxxy
By Bahamut.Foxxy 2009-06-08 01:22:00  
I tried that and it still says "Playonline Viewer has stoped working" when it should bring me the FFXI menu. I redownloaded the windower and followed that guide.
[+]
 Seraph.Greyfin
user: Greyfin
By Seraph.Greyfin 2009-06-08 01:57:43  
You also need to change the settings of your FFXI via registry edit, or windower gui config.
 Bahamut.Foxxy
By Bahamut.Foxxy 2009-06-08 10:37:09  
I messed with the FFXI config and it made it not pixalted when i run it w/ the offical windower but i still cant get it to work with windower from windower.net
 Fairy.Tbest
サーバ: Fairy
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-06-08 10:45:33  
Do you have the Vista POL Viewer installed from SE's site?

Also, with Windower, everything should be in the 'XP compatibility mode'. Just right click the .exe, properties, then I think it's the 2nd tab, there should be a "run with compatibility for" drop-down. And Windower.net should have a guide on it as well.

You can also see wiki's guide on the graphics part of it for upgrading/downgrading options within the registry. I don't remember the link off-hand. But I'll add it if I think of it.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-06-08 11:04:17  
Tbest said:
Do you have the Vista POL Viewer installed from SE's site?

Also, with Windower, everything should be in the 'XP compatibility mode'. Just right click the .exe, properties, then I think it's the 2nd tab, there should be a "run with compatibility for" drop-down. And Windower.net should have a guide on it as well.

You can also see wiki's guide on the graphics part of it for upgrading/downgrading options within the registry. I don't remember the link off-hand. But I'll add it if I think of it.
Just as a note, POL is saying that with Vista SP1, the specialized version of POL is no longer needed. The guide I linked Foxxy earlier makes a special note about it from the get-go.
[+]
 Bahamut.Foxxy
By Bahamut.Foxxy 2009-06-08 11:20:06  
I have the POL Viewer installed from SE ... I tried the XP compatibility mode but it still gave the same error message "Playonline has stoped working" when i hit play to bring me into FFXI
[+]
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-06-08 11:40:42  
Foxxy said:
I have the POL Viewer installed from SE ... I tried the XP compatibility mode but it still gave the same error message "Playonline has stoped working" when i hit play to bring me into FFXI
Give this post a shot just in case, Foxxy. Seems to address the exact issue you're experiencing with the beta Windower, so I guess just cross your fingers ;;

Link: http://forums.windower.net/index.php?showtopic=14221
[+]
 Bahamut.Foxxy
By Bahamut.Foxxy 2009-06-08 11:51:52  
IT WORKED!!!! Thank You so much Caiyuo! Thank you thank you
[+]
 Unicorn.Excesspain
サーバ: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Excesspain 2009-06-08 11:54:15  
If you have the windower folder inside the PoL folder take it out and put it in another one.

Mine is in program files but would crash if I had it in PoL folder.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-06-08 11:59:47  
Foxxy said:
IT WORKED!!!! Thank You so much Caiyuo! Thank you thank you

You're welcome! :D
[+]