users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Ninja » NIN TANK
NIN TANK
 Leviathan.Puzzels
サーバ: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Puzzels
By Leviathan.Puzzels 2009-06-08 20:09:31  
Like most people stated, tanking with NIN is much more difficult then PLD.

an okay PLD can do a decent job, but an okay NIN can be a complete disaster.

two key items to tanking with NIN:

what are you fighting!! mobs that attack quickly and/or use -aga spells are very difficult to tank effectively (not saying you cant, just its much more difficult and your whm or healer will spend too much mana on you), if these are the mobs you are facing, better off dropping or moving camp.

second - dont be afraid to lose hate to your melee party mates. since a NIN is going to use essentially the same tools as any other DD melee to retain hate, it cannot be expected that a NIN would hold hate 100% of the time. (like if the war in the party keeps voking after the pld does)

nothing wrong with the mob taking a few swings at the DD while you cast ichi (take advantage and cast the slower spell when you can), especially if the DDs are /nin

i leveled both PLD and NIN - PLD is like driving an automatic, NIN is a 6-speed manual with a tight clutch lol and yeah, eva+ gear does seem like a waste of time. i never parsed anything, but whether i was geared up +eva or not, it didnt seem to make much of a difference (i dont know what the conversion rate would be, but say +40 evasion versus an IT+++ mob gives you a 5% change to dodge an attack...thats only 1 in 20...awesome if it happens whenever your shadows are down lol, but it doesnt seem to work that way)

personally, i was never a big fan of the elemental wheel either. my NIN was a mithra, not the smartest race, and since INT increases the ninjitsu damage, i found my katanas were much more consistent and effective (plus TP for weaponskills). ninjitsu for blind, para and slow are nice and are great ways to start the fight adn the elemental spells are nice to use at range, or prepare the mob for a skillchain/manaburst (been a while since i partied...do peopel even invite BLM anymore? lol)

oh, and just make sure you gear doesnt suck

and just think...there was a time when -aga only took one shadow... i miss those days lol
 Odin.Synyster
サーバ: Odin
user: Synyster
By Odin.Synyster 2009-06-08 20:17:44  
lol yea i didnt level nin till like 2 years after i finished thief and year after i finished bard cause i HATED the job to 37. one day i started levelin not knowing what it was, i continued leveling it forever just because it is the job that doesnt end. it goes on and on my friend. wow that was completely random but oh well .sing a long dammit. anyways back on topic.,

its a fun job but i just really merit on it and thats about it. oh and to people leveling nin. if the sam or drk or w/e dd ws the first say 10-15% of the fight. and they die. dont feel bad thats there fault for being stupid.
 Alexander.Ultrarichard
サーバ: Alexander
By Alexander.Ultrarichard 2009-06-08 20:32:14  
What annoys me about the ninjutsu, is theres no drk elemental wheel. blind an important tool when exping, and if the mobs are resistant, you cant use the elewheel to stick it as you would the other buffs. give us dark elemental-!!
 Carbuncle.Axle
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Zephin
By Carbuncle.Axle 2009-06-08 21:09:42  
Evasion VS Damage

Evasion, if your in a pickup party have no idea how smart/dumb ppl are gonna be, evading might mean life or death. 50+ eva gear doesn't work as hawt as pre 50 though. My parties 37-68 involved many a party w/o haste, and pretty much 0 brd parties. Eva build (50+) will only give you 10% evaded rate. If you land blind maybe 20%.

Damage Setup:
My ls mate had a static which contained a brd and rdm or whm at all times. You can wear a hauby then, and go full DD. With elegy and haste it won't be very bad, plus the mob will die or bounce to someone else before you have to recast.
 Cerberus.Geldric
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Geldricv2
By Cerberus.Geldric 2009-06-08 22:39:48  
Goldo said:
Geldric said:
Are these *** really saying use Eva gear?

You use evasion gear to evade tanking the mob!

Big papi!
Where've you beem D:?
 Ifrit.Thunderz
サーバ: Ifrit
user:
By Ifrit.Thunderz 2009-06-08 23:38:19
 Delete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

well imma put it simple

I hit 75 NIN with evasion gear

it was hard but I pulled it off

I just macrod all my DD gear for blade jin for massive DMG spike then voke

the thing is if you get hit you lose hate but if you evade you keep hate

so It was a mix of evasion tanking + DD gear for ws

then tools

I saw a full DD geared nin it didnt work his shadows went down then pecking flurry

fack
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-06-08 23:41:47  
Wait people still get nins to tank 60+? Weird.
 Ifrit.Thunderz
user:
By Ifrit.Thunderz 2009-06-08 23:54:51

Dasva said:
Wait people still get nins to tank 60+? Weird.

dunno people piss me off when they lvl nin srsly

why are you going to lvl a expensive job and be Super cheap with it

cant afford the basic stuff like shadows or enfeeb tools I mean wow gtfo

people make Nin job look HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE but the moment I hit 75 I found a new appreciation for the job
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-06-08 23:56:41  
Like cors that use bronze bullets at lvl 75... or rngs that complain about demon arrows.
 Remora.Kiishim
サーバ: Remora
user: Kiishim
By Remora.Kiishim 2009-06-09 00:06:40  
NIN and TANK beside each other? What is this? They can't tank. They weren't made to tank. And the fact that SE made it so absorbed shadows lessen your enmity is proof of that.

NIN was made to enfeeble/DD. I mean if you look at the throwing weapons they get (Although it's almost impossible to get a large amount of the higher leveled ones cause SE hates throwing) and the amount of R. acc and R. att on their AFs, it's clear to see they were made to throw. Now if SE would be smart and put throwing WSs in the game, NIN would probably change a lot.

Hell, if that happened, I would level NIN in parties instead of soloing it.

NIN just can't tank well at all. I've been playing the game for about fives years now and I've seen maybe THREE at the most that kept hate somewhat well.

PLD FOR THE LOVE OF GOD YES PLEASE THX

Now I'll prepare for the burns coming my way.
[+]
 Ifrit.Thunderz
user:
By Ifrit.Thunderz 2009-06-09 00:17:18

no burning to put it to you in a simple way

1 tank

people lvl PLD to 75

are they going to level sync in dunes for exp? no they will not

so if everyone finished doing PLD how can people make pts? they need a 2nd tanking job

but oh noes SE is HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE and didn't make a 2nd tank job but oh wait we decided to make NIN a good tank job boom the deed is done

also i barely see anyone craft some decent throwing thats why no 1 does nin/rng and DD in pts
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-06-09 00:23:14  
nin/drk is still the best hate grabber ever... if they got brd and rdm support
 Odin.Synyster
By Odin.Synyster 2009-06-09 00:40:13  
it really all dependso n what you are tanking. in exp parties. nin is not as good as pld but ill be damned if imma have a pld in a merit pt. nin i dont prefer cause sam/war is good enough . o wait sam/war isnt a tank. o what ever will i do. nin/rng i went for airship fight. was fun. used a gun though. meh i give up. a good nin can tank as well as a pld. but tanking is all about support. a tank is only as good as its support.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-06-09 00:50:19  
I didnt say the best for the situation I said best at getting hate at lvl 74+ of course.
 Odin.Synyster
By Odin.Synyster 2009-06-09 00:56:51  
yeah nin/drk can reach hate cap much faster than any other job. best part is that nin/drk is SOOOOOOOOOO much fun. i think my fav thing to do too bad i dont get to do it often enough
 Midgardsormr.Massaranger
サーバ: Midgardsormr
By Midgardsormr.Massaranger 2009-06-09 00:57:43  
Nin does lose a ton of hate with shadows but to counter that dont use shadows at all for simple task such as dynamis or merit pts. i dont use shadows i macro enmity gear for when i voke and when i debuff to grab hate and then go to max evasion gear i dont get hit much though u are a bit squishy when u are hit which you lose hate to. But evading does not lose hate like a dropped shadow. Having a thf in pt always helps to. But being pld and nin id have to say PLD tank all the way lots less hassle.
 Pandemonium.Gloomis
サーバ: Pandemonium
user: miperich
By Pandemonium.Gloomis 2009-06-09 01:03:49  
NIN tank ftw. PLD is too easy to be fun ^^
 Remora.Dubont
user: Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-06-09 01:15:46  
i hate nin tanks...nin is not a tank. Nin can be versatile such as small nuker, enfeebler, puller, DD...but tanking EFFICIENTLY is something that PLD WAR MNK and SAM do better.
 Odin.Synyster
By Odin.Synyster 2009-06-09 01:18:57  
again it depends on what you are tanking. try tanking omega with mnk sam or war, what about faf or sky gods or jailors or w/e. nin/drk ftw. or nin/rdm. pld is always a great tank and because its easier for both tank and support, people prefer pld. hojo is shitty compared to slow2/elegy, and blind is meh at best. only thing we use ele tools for is PCC bcnm, thats about it at 75 lol. so yea if you are tanking anything big war mnk and sam.... /goodbye. nin/drk ftw, or nin/rdm
 Remora.Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-06-09 01:26:57  
eh i still say those jobs tank better in terms of overall use. Mnk and War were the original tanks then PLD and SAM...and somehow people decided that blinking tanking with nin was the endall..and yes its good..but keeping hate is a problem and also it doesnt utilize the abilities of the nin to its full potential. Ever seen a nin/rng that was actually dedicated? More dmg output than a DRK with Apoc.
 Cerberus.Geldric
By Cerberus.Geldric 2009-06-09 01:28:44  
Thunderz said:
well imma put it simple

then tools

I saw a full DD geared nin it didnt work his shadows went down then pecking flurry

fack

Eva. tanking does jack ***at higher levels. The last time I saw a nin use evasion effectively was when we were holding KV and there a brd casting mambos and a nin in full Eva gear.

The point is, in meritpos, a DD nin will do a much more effective job at holding hate against other equally/better geared DD's then an eva. nin spamming voke and using tools. And by DD nin I mean he has good DD gear for both TP and Ws. Not just swapping out for WS.
 Cerberus.Geldric
By Cerberus.Geldric 2009-06-09 01:30:08  
Dubont said:
eh i still say those jobs tank better in terms of overall use. Mnk and War were the original tanks then PLD and SAM...and somehow people decided that blinking tanking with nin was the endall..and yes its good..but keeping hate is a problem and also it doesnt utilize the abilities of the nin to its full potential. Ever seen a nin/rng that was actually dedicated? More dmg output than a DRK with Apoc.

Kinda wanna see a Nin/Rng. Heard it was great but buying/finding ammo is holding it back.
 Remora.Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-06-09 01:41:17  
Geldric said:
Dubont said:

Kinda wanna see a Nin/Rng. Heard it was great but buying/finding ammo is holding it back.

yea..kinda why u have to be dedicated...but it puts out more dmg than any job in the game
 Ifrit.Thunderz
user:
By Ifrit.Thunderz 2009-06-09 02:13:24

Geldric said:
Thunderz said:
well imma put it simple

then tools

fack

Eva. tanking does jack ***at higher levels. The last time I saw a nin use evasion effectively was when we were holding KV and there a brd casting mambos and a nin in full Eva gear.

The point is, in meritpos, a DD nin will do a much more effective job at holding hate against other equally/better geared DD's then an eva. nin spamming voke and using tools. And by DD nin I mean he has good DD gear for both TP and Ws. Not just swapping out for WS.

your thinking way 2 situational I was talking about across the board lvl'ing b4 I ding 75 not being 75 and using evasion gear.

For how 2 tank as a 75 NIN Im still clueless but in a PT b4 75 I played with eva gear + ws gear swap some DD pieces
 Cerberus.Geldric
By Cerberus.Geldric 2009-06-09 10:08:18  
Because 99.9% of everything in this game are situational..?

Assuming the OP's Ninja is not 75, based on what I have seen from his merits along with he recent purchases, at lower levels a DD nin will always pull ahead of an eva nin in terms of holding hate through raw damage. Is eva gear horrible? No, macro it in during Ichi, and ni if you want, casts so when eva does proc you won't get interrupted.

But again, DD nin, and using the elemental wheel to your advantage pre 50, is the best way for a nin to hold hate outside of endgame areas. Ie; Meritpo's and whatnot.
 Bismarck.Kuroganashi
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Kuroganashi 2009-06-09 10:24:18  
CHAST A SPHELL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXS6MKE-IP0

same vocalist~? Hehe.

http://www.myspace.com/fleshfield

---

Ninja is fun for the running, suck for the gil burning. Corsair is fun for the rolling, suck for the necessities. Dancer is great overall, skill necessary to level & obtain the pretty gear. Thief... Wow, even worst without all the fun. Bard: "I'm pretty, oh so pretty!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIHJkfsgXl0

"I'm solo, doesn't mean i'm single. Or Ron Jeremy."
[+]
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
サーバ: Garuda
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-06-09 10:31:04  
Uh wut? Another troll?
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
サーバ: Midgardsormr
user: frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-06-09 10:34:30  
Fieleles or w/e's new account.
 Odin.Kraytos
user: Tyseng
By Odin.Kraytos 2009-06-09 10:35:24  
Checo said:
yup if you really want to be tricky and effective,

NIN/DRK it out, refresh and haste is a must,

Stun-->Bind-->Sleep--(posion if you have time)

And you will hold hate like a champ

You can kite like a champ also, if your Fast boots are in effect.

Enm+ gear ftw, but dont sacrafice too much haste for it.

i'm assuming he's talking about exp since he doesn't know how to tank on ninja and nin/drk blows for exp pt
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
サーバ: Garuda
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-06-09 10:36:19  
Frobeus said:
Fieleles or w/e's new account.

GFDI what does it take to get rid of it