users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Dragoon » So many polearms o.o
So many polearms o.o
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
サーバ: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2013-01-16 12:32:53  
If you have someone(s) to let you in via DC/logout/warp methods then you can solo SSR for more alex. If you can clear all the mobs and the boss then you can get an average of 90ish per run factoring in a linen drop occasionally.

Especially helpful if the prices of alex creeps up on you as you make it and can also reduce the monotony of daily namis.
 Shiva.Kuraneko
サーバ: Shiva
user: Kuraneko
By Shiva.Kuraneko 2013-01-16 13:10:29  
Solrain said: »
I would do like everyone else said and do the OAT while holding out for Herja's. Did you have the 85/90 version done already? It seems like you did from one of your previous posts. Spending 2-3m on Mirrors/Sand is a much smarter investment than spending 150-200m on a Gungnir that will add little to no benefit over the OAT as far as damage goes. OAT is a ridiculously fun weapon on a ridiculously fun job.

I know you tossed it once and would have to restart but it's honestly not that bad to build; I thought camping the NMs was the worst of it. Once I buckled down either solo, or just asking people farming Shoggoth/Lampry Lord if I can have their Orange and I'll keep popping their T2s for them with BST.

Sand and mirrors can be even cheeper (EDIT: disregard; I can English. -.-.. for the ones I bought I didn't send nearly 100-120M; maybe 1M tops on Shiva) if folks in your ls are nice and just give them to you. I know folks that just drop them cause they're sick of waiting for buyers. I'd have folks just give them to me at T4 cities and onward if I just asked if anyone wasn't needing them. Sound needy? A little bit, but it's better than having people toss *** ~they~ don't need if you do. This wouldn't cut into your alex fund badly and if you got body cells could sell them and put that to alex too. From NM stage to 99 it was probably 2 weeks of pretty casual play getting OAT done.

Ryu is one sexy pole arm; I second the (re)build your OAT and focus on mythic.

EDIT: sidenote to some OAT love: It's pretty fun to pump out like 5 ws in a row without making a tp swing between sekkanoki, jumps, and meditate. Frequency makes up for spike damage; even better once you add in your DoT damage from swings.
 Odin.Creaucent
サーバ: Odin
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2013-01-16 14:05:03  
Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »
Odin.Creaucent said: »
You could take rhongomiant to 95/99 rhongomiant and gungnir have exactly the same dmg and delay if 99 gungnir beats oat then 99 rhongomiant will as well plus it gets high ODD with AM3 up. Im making gungnir and I have 90 rhongomiant though I am taking my time... well rhongomiant does look a lot better than gungnir. If you dont want to waste money on plates and cinders or cant get the scales then take gungnir to 95 since its alot better than what you have now. 125 vs 147 dmg.
Rhongomiant is a waste of time and money. Never suggest anyone make one much less level it to 99, save them the heartache.

Might as well tell people not to make a 99 gungnir while you are at it. Dmg159 delay492 vit+20 camlann's ODD aftermath vs dmg159 delay492 acc+40 ws never worth using add effect def down 2.5x damage with 16% proc rate. Gunna be spamming stardiver with both and its easy to get 300% tp with jumps or temps for the ODD. Im sure the gap at 99 isnt as large as people make out though someone who can math it out can probably prove that wrong haha. Obviously the acc helps with harder stuff but who takes drg to that?
 Ragnarok.Ashman
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2013-01-16 14:14:22  
You could take rhongomiant to 95/99 rhongomiant and gungnir have exactly the same dmg and delay if 99 gungnir beats oat then 99 rhongomiant will as well plus it gets high ODD with AM3 up. Im making gungnir and I have 90 rhongomiant though I am taking my time... well rhongomiant does look a lot better than gungnir. If you dont want to waste money on plates and cinders or cant get the scales then take gungnir to 95 since its alot better than what you have now. 125 vs 147 dmg.
Rhongomiant is a waste of time and money. Never suggest anyone make one much less level it to 99, save them the heartache.

Might as well tell people not to make a 99 gungnir while you are at it. Dmg159 delay492 vit+20 camlann's ODD aftermath vs dmg159 delay492 acc+40 ws never worth using add effect def down 2.5x damage with 16% proc rate. Gunna be spamming stardiver with both and its easy to get 300% tp with jumps or temps for the ODD. Im sure the gap at 99 isnt as large as people make out though someone who can math it out can probably prove that wrong haha. Obviously the acc helps with harder stuff but who takes drg to that?

Never having to use camlann's torment + defense down on a job thats capped on attack less than thf is a bit of a big deal. Saving 300 tp is 3 lost weapon skills (plus the fact that 300 tp with sekkanoki could have been 2 ws).

I don't dissagree that the difference is probably not as huge but peoples loathing of wrongomiant factors in 1) difficulty of making, 2) the fact that it IS worse. Chloris path + same price to 99 + worse weapon, not just a straight comparison of the finished product.

(for the record i would tell people not to make a 99 gungnir)
[+]
 Odin.Eikechi
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-01-16 14:54:03  
At least Gungnir looks badass... If the def- stacks with Angon, it suddenly becomes a really sweet weapon though, I'd think.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2013-01-16 15:01:54  
Odin.Eikechi said: »
At least Gungnir looks badass... If the def- stacks with Angon, it suddenly becomes a really sweet weapon though, I'd think.

overwrites angon.........
[+]
 Bismarck.Kelhor
Administrator
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Rooks
By Bismarck.Kelhor 2013-01-16 15:04:21  
Yeah, it's actually a major source of grief for DRGs. If it was equal, or at a bare minimum didn't overwrite the superior value from Angon, it'd be less of a concern, but as it stands, using the Gungnir actually can gimp your party/alliance.

It's awful, and it's one of a trillion things that needs fixed I know, but no job's relic should actually make your job LESS powerful.
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-01-16 15:08:38  
Ragnarok.Ashman said: »
Odin.Eikechi said: »

overwrites angon.........

No i mean if they change it... I'm fully aware of the current derp that is Gung's added effect.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2013-01-16 15:13:03  
oh, derp.
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-01-16 15:38:41  
Ragnarok.Ashman said: »
oh, derp.

No, I realize I worded that rather stupidly, it's all good man lol. But if they do change it (and honestly of all the relics, this one does need legit adjusting since they gave us Angon after relics were implemented and it made this relic WORSE), it would make Gung pretty fierce I'd wager.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2013-01-16 15:55:56  
They have already mentioned that they are going to make angon stack with other DEF downs, I would assume that Gungnir's would be one it would stack with.
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-01-16 15:59:27  
They have already mentioned that they are going to make angon stack with other DEF downs, I would assume that Gungnir's would be one it would stack with.

Do you have a link for that? I haven't actually seem them mention it. Case being, it would make Gungnir a much better weapon, I would think, maybe even just under Ryu (as in beating Herja without being 99)
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2013-01-16 16:02:18  
I do somewhere... It's like the 3rd time I've linked it lol... Hang on.
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-01-16 16:02:58  
In this thread? I'll just do a quick search lol. I mean I seem to recall them saying that, but can't be positive.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2013-01-16 16:34:39  
Quote:
Angon
In regards to Angon, the development team is looking into adjustments so that the lowered defense effect stacks with other defense lowering effects.

Source: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/19016-Dragoon-Updates%21?p=263662#post263662

Damn... A day short of a year ago. Come on SE...
[+]
 Odin.Creaucent
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2013-01-16 16:45:22  
Drgs all over want them to stack so SE probably wont deliver and it will be one of those "We are going to lower pet TH but we will give you gear to enhance it" 1 year later "We never said that".
 Carbuncle.Verina
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Verina
By Carbuncle.Verina 2013-01-16 22:08:34  
So yeah, I'm biting the bullet and just going for Ryunohige. Might as well be in for the long haul. Might work on a OAT on the side until Herja's but yeah...
[+]
 Ragnarok.Afania
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2013-01-16 23:04:11  
If you're dead-set on making a Ryu and have the motivation to see it through (it seems like you do), making a Gungnir in the meantime is just a waste of gil that could be put towards Alex. Making a relic as a bridge weapon doesn't seem like a good way to use your resources.

I would do like everyone else said and do the OAT while holding out for Herja's. Did you have the 85/90 version done already? It seems like you did from one of your previous posts. Spending 2-3m on Mirrors/Sand is a much smarter investment than spending 150-200m on a Gungnir that will add little to no benefit over the OAT as far as damage goes. OAT is a ridiculously fun weapon on a ridiculously fun job.

Some of my friends just don't play DRG at all while working on a Ryu :p
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-01-17 01:38:26  
I think I'm gonna do OaT while working on Gungnir. If/when they do adjust angon, it's gonna be a sick weapon I think.
[+]
By Kiralai 2013-01-21 17:32:50  
Ragnarok.Afania said: »
If you're dead-set on making a Ryu and have the motivation to see it through (it seems like you do), making a Gungnir in the meantime is just a waste of gil that could be put towards Alex. Making a relic as a bridge weapon doesn't seem like a good way to use your resources.

Some of my friends just don't play DRG at all while working on a Ryu :p

This. I set my DRG down after NNI, and it's gonna stay down until I finish Ryu.
[+]
By Tickmeoff 2013-01-29 03:39:55  
Just started working on my OAT polearm, is there an ideal location for the 400 lizards trial?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Smacksterr
サーバ: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Smacksterr 2013-01-29 04:54:12  
Herja's Fork!
[+]
By Tickmeoff 2013-01-29 05:51:54  
Valefor.Angierus said: »
Abyssea Misareaux?

That was the first place I thought of, but I don't really want to end up competing with a bunch of Sobek groups, and the raptors are kind of ***.

I'll probably end up going there anyway since there aren't a ton of places with lizards all over the place.
By Aeyela 2013-01-29 05:54:11  
Tickmeoff said: »
That was the first place I thought of, but I don't really want to end up competing with a bunch of Sobek groups, and the raptors are kind of ***.

I'll probably end up going there anyway since there aren't a ton of places with lizards all over the place.

I did a staff trial in Mamook. This applies for BLM, but it would work with Dragoon too. Just pull the pets with a boomerang or something. The Lizards have next to no HP and will die very fast - much faster than their Abyssea counter parts.

Quote:
Zone into Mamook using Mamool Ja Staging Point walk to the west side of the map and look for 2 Mamool Ja Strapper (do keep an eye out for Hundredfaced Hapool Ja truesite nm at bottom level). E-9 stand on South ledge against wall and rotate with Water V/Flood/Flood II on both pets. Important you stand in middle of ledge to avoid aggro right and left. If you rest too close to the cliff, the buggard below may occasionally aggro. This seemed to be the fastest way to solo the lizard part. There is 1 more Mamool Ja Strapper at D-7 if you have mp enough to roam back and forth. For more moving room take out the nearby Mamool Ja Bounder (BlizV & BlizIV double shots it), and camp at his ledge (pets tend to that side anyway) or even take out the Mamool Ja Zenist for its ledge (open with sleepga on it due to it being a nin mob)
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2013-01-29 09:05:35  
As long as you keep pop items in your bazaar, you won't be competing with anyone, you'll be speeding it up for them.
By Solrain 2013-01-29 10:20:11  
Tickmeoff said: »
Valefor.Angierus said: »
Abyssea Misareaux?

Lizards, Peistes and Bugards all count for that trial, so you could just stay in the Sobek area and rotate between them all if there's competition for one type. I made that trial into a mini Cruor party back when Cruor was actually worth a damn :(
 Ragnarok.Kyoshin
user: HaseAkira
By Ragnarok.Kyoshin 2013-02-07 10:51:39  
As a Rhongomiant owner myself (and a returning player), I'll say this: make Rhongomiant for your own reasons if you absolutely want to. If you're looking to make the best damaging weapon, that isn't a reason to make Rhongomiant--turn around and run as quickly as you can before you dive into the despair this weapon unfolds.

A lot of blood, sweat and tears went into mine back when having a 90 Empyrean was a pretty cool thing. I'm not going to disrespect that, but I'm not going to be the few who lie to others about it in a bad attempt to defend their choice. ;)

Anyway, going to agree with the points brought up here--OAT as a sidearm until you finish mythic. Or, if you're not loving DRG enough for Ryunohige, just keep to OAT until better comes out.
 Sylph.Hyunkyl
サーバ: Sylph
user: hyunkyl
By Sylph.Hyunkyl 2013-02-07 14:12:19  
For stats/looks, Herja's Fork over OaT ^^
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2013-02-07 14:39:38  
Just recently got a Herja's Fork, so i tossed my Drakaina Lance. Quite a few people thought i had a Ryunohige before checking what lance i was using (when i had Drakaina).

Took me a few hours to find the correct gearset i wanted to use for a 5hit.