users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » Sniper vs. Woodsman
Sniper vs. Woodsman
First Page 2
 Asura.Vespera
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Vespera 2009-05-28 11:46:23  
I know the debate has been repeated over and over again, however, I would like some more local input as to the pros and cons between these for the jobs I play: NIN, THF, BST, DNC. Until I'm able to get a blood ring it's either -def and never resisting sleep or other dark based spells or having a harder time dodging.

For my above mentioned jobs which do you think would be a more logical choice for me to use?
 Kujata.Malicfayt
サーバ: Kujata
user: Malicfayt
By Kujata.Malicfayt 2009-05-28 11:52:47  
Snipers. I know nothing about Bst. But im a 75 dnc nin and thf. These jobs are the top 3 Evasion jobs in the game. Whats defense? You shouldn't necessarily worry about Def on those jobs in MOST cases. If your finding Defense an issue for some reason in any situation with these jobs then you probably shouldn't be using these rings in the first place Vs that particular enemy. Example: Nin/drk Tanking Omega, Gods, ect ect, it goes without saying that you shouldn't use them on those enemies i know... i'm just stating as a blatant example.
 Ifrit.Thunderz
サーバ: Ifrit
user:
By Ifrit.Thunderz 2009-05-28 11:55:08
 Delete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

User submitted image

get this ring noa! :O
 Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph
サーバ: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph 2009-05-28 11:55:37  
Chances are you're not resisting sleep on any job except WHM, RDM or PLD anyway. But to be completely honest, I wouldn't tell the difference unless you're either soloing hard stuff on THF, soloing on DNC, or doing NIN EVA tanking, which I havent seen in eons. BST has the EVA of a black brick in a white room, so the EVA won't matter, yet the DEF might in a miniscule way.

tl:dr's: It really doesn't matter unless you're soloing since either way you're getting slept. Go for whatever's cheaper if you're not a heavy solo person.
 Asura.Vespera
By Asura.Vespera 2009-05-28 11:56:49  
Heh, well the defense loss isn't what concerns me. It's the negative shadow resistance that makes me think twice. This would mean I'd have to avoid undead like the plague and god forbid I get sleep casted on me. But how much would -5 evasion really hinder me? Until I finish CoP and get my Rajas or a Blood Ring, I'm suck with one of the two here.
 Alexander.Ultrarichard
サーバ: Alexander
By Alexander.Ultrarichard 2009-05-28 12:00:15  
Go Go Ecphoria ring! No minus stats and STP+1!
 Asura.Vespera
By Asura.Vespera 2009-05-28 12:02:05  
I use that as my secondary acc ring until I finish CoP or get a Blood Ring via ZNM ~_~
I could jut augment the hell out of a DEX ring until it slaps on some accuracy but I won't hold my breath on that one.
 Ramuh.Konoko
サーバ: Ramuh
user: lnick
By Ramuh.Konoko 2009-05-28 12:02:12  
Chances are you'll never resist sleep, ever, so...

Whatever costs less I guess.
 Asura.Vespera
By Asura.Vespera 2009-05-28 12:04:27  
You got a point about resisting sleep but there are other things like absorb spells, drain effect, etc. that would hit me significantly harder than usual which can be a real drag. Hence why I said avoiding undead & drk mobs like the plague. But as said before, unless I'm soloing neither should matter, but when it comes to critical adjustments I should go with Sniper me thinks.
 Gilgamesh.Minusseven
サーバ: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Minusseven 2009-05-28 12:06:02  
id go snipers with those jobs
 Unicorn.Tavlov
サーバ: Unicorn
user: Tomas
By Unicorn.Tavlov 2009-05-28 12:06:53  
For thf i think the snipers is still better then a blood ring,
for the range acc.
Evasion > defense. If you dont get hit,
you dont need defense.
 Ragnarok.Matix
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Matix
By Ragnarok.Matix 2009-05-28 12:06:55  
snipers. sniper even has a hq for 7 acc which is gunna be better than a woodsman for sure, arguing the other stats liek -dark and -eva, pointless <_>, if u need any acc+5 ring, then just get what u can afford, but know that snipers ARE better because of their HQ
 Asura.Vespera
By Asura.Vespera 2009-05-28 12:07:59  
Tavlov said:
For thf i think the snipers is still better then a blood ring, for the range acc. Evasion > defense. If you dont get hit, you dont need defense.

I'm a freak and carry r.acc rings for my bolts lol. I'm looking at something strictly for melee acc on rings.
By Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph 2009-05-28 12:09:31  
In before some leetist with money out the nose screaming "OMGNOOBTOREADORONRYLOL".

Snipers seem better since you have high EVA jobs, yeah. But like I said, unless you're a guy heavily relied on solo (aside from BST anyway), -5 EVA or -20 Dark wouldn't matter if you're using an Ecphoria ring as your secondary ACC ring.
 Asura.Vespera
By Asura.Vespera 2009-05-28 12:10:40  
Alrighty, sounds good guys. I just don't look forward to making the 100k difference between woodsman & sniper ~_~ But it's for the better...
By Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph 2009-05-28 12:11:54  
DID YOU GET YOUR BLAU YET, YOUNG MAN?! >O
 Asura.Vespera
By Asura.Vespera 2009-05-28 12:13:16  
Ludoggy has been selling secrets again hasn't he? Sheesh.
By Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph 2009-05-28 12:13:59  
No, you posted it a while back you were saving for a Blau and were beign super cheap til then. xD
 Asura.Vespera
By Asura.Vespera 2009-05-28 12:15:43  
I dunno, I guess this can be considered cheap. But I have a ton of stuff to upgrade once I ding 70 and after that it's just gonna be nonstop money making til I can afford it.
 Asura.Eeek
user: Eeek
By Asura.Eeek 2009-05-28 12:17:41  
Vespera said:
Tavlov said:
For thf i think the snipers is still better then a blood ring, for the range acc. Evasion > defense. If you dont get hit, you dont need defense.

I'm a freak and carry r.acc rings for my bolts lol. I'm looking at something strictly for melee acc on rings.

The best (obtainable) accuracy ring would be Toreador's Ring, but I'm not sure whether or not you're willing to spend 3mil on one.

Since you have no problems wearing a PCC, I don't see the validity in arguing against a Sinper's Ring based on its negative Dark resist. You're not 75 yet, and I doubt you're attempting difficult solos. Who cares if you get slept when you're partied with mages who are out of AoE range?

You have 3 jobs which are actually affected by the negative evasion on a Woodsman Ring, and based on that alone, I'd buy Snipers if I were in your position (I would switch to a Blood Ring over an NQ Sniper's though).
 Kujata.Malicfayt
サーバ: Kujata
user: Malicfayt
By Kujata.Malicfayt 2009-05-28 12:18:16  
I've Sniper+1's When A drk Drain2's me he breaches his HP limit and i instantly explode!

dont worry about sleep.

My use for these rings are as follow~ They are My TP rings for Dnc Nin and Thf in exp and for Solo. I also PvP in them as Thief half the time for my status bolts.
All evasion or -evasion is relevant in my opinion. nin/dnc dnc/nin if im getting hit i have -dmg set for nin and Evasion rings for dnc.
 Unicorn.Tavlov
user: Tomas
By Unicorn.Tavlov 2009-05-28 12:35:35  
Vespera said:
Tavlov said:
For thf i think the snipers is still better then a blood ring,
for the range acc. Evasion > defense.
If you dont get hit, you dont need defense.

I'm a freak and carry r.acc rings for my bolts lol.
I'm looking at something strictly for melee acc on rings.

2 snipers +1 with a ziskas, and o-hat and u shouldnt worry about racc
EDIT: wont have to carry 2 sets of rings for that either. my second set of rings is dex for WS
 Asura.Vespera
By Asura.Vespera 2009-05-28 12:44:18  
Well I also intend on playing RNG & COR so having r.acc rings around isn't a big deal. Also I want a Velocity Bow +1 for faster shots and AGI bonuses. Costs half as much as a Ziska and r.acc can easily be made up and capped elsewhere.
 Asura.Eeek
By Asura.Eeek 2009-05-28 12:52:15  
Vespera said:
Well I also intend on playing RNG & COR so having r.acc rings around isn't a big deal. Also I want a Velocity Bow +1 for faster shots and AGI bonuses. Costs half as much as a Ziska and r.acc can easily be made up and capped elsewhere.

Exactly. Although Ziska's is obviously better than an HQ Velocity Bow, you're right on when it comes to stacking ranged accuracy on THF. I swap in +62 ranged accuracy for firing bolts, and I haven't exactly put a ton of effort into a top-notch ranged accuracy build. I could probably get away with less ranged accuracy gear if I ate sushi, but I hate eating sushi unless it's absolutely necessary.
 Asura.Vespera
By Asura.Vespera 2009-05-28 13:07:12  
Aside from base dmg and lack of r.acc what makes Ziska so superior to Velocity +1?
 Asura.Eeek
By Asura.Eeek 2009-05-28 13:14:36  
Vespera said:
Aside from base dmg and lack of r.acc what makes Ziska so superior to Velocity +1?

Base damage really doesn't come into play as THFs don't shoot bolts to do damage. They shoot bolts to stick the status effects (or for the healing). It's all about the ranged accuracy +8 on the Ziska's, and the delay is even comparable to Velocity Bow +1's delay (217 vs. 210). Unless I'm eating sushi, I never trust my bolts to actually land when I need them to land, and in those types of situations, I want the ranged accuracy on Ziska's.

That being said, I don't own a Ziska's. I bought a Fire Bomblet instead. XD
 Asura.Vespera
By Asura.Vespera 2009-05-28 13:19:57  
Ah gotcha. Well Velocity +1 is (albeit barely) faster than Ziska, and contains some AGI bonuses which is nice. Probably the biggest thing is it costs half as much, unless I go do the BCNM myself. However, I think 8 ranged accuracy can be made up for via use of things like: ohat, pahluwan body, deadeye gloves, behemoth rings, pcc, dusk pants, homam feet, etc.
 Unicorn.Excesspain
By Unicorn.Excesspain 2009-05-28 13:21:27  
Vespera said:
Tavlov said:

If you aren't doing this, you are doing it wrong.

On Topic: I would go with Sniper's(+1). The -eva is a bigger loss then -def.
 Asura.Eeek
By Asura.Eeek 2009-05-28 13:28:51  
Vespera said:
Ah gotcha. Well Velocity +1 is (albeit barely) faster than Ziska, and contains some AGI bonuses which is nice. Probably the biggest thing is it costs half as much unless I go do the BCNM myself. However, I think 8 ranged accuracy can be made up for via use of things like: ohat, pahluwan body, deadeye gloves, behemoth rings, pcc, dusk pants, homam feet, etc.

You say that just now, but just wait until you die a few times because you whiffed a few Bloody Bolts in a row. :P

Another irritating drawback of THF's ranged accuracy options is that, in nearly every slot, it comes at the expense of evasion gear. This can be a real pain when soloing T+ mobs. Sure you can eat sushi alleviate the ranged accuracy problems, but then you're facing a slower killspeed than if you had eaten meat. It's a balancing act.
 Asura.Vespera
By Asura.Vespera 2009-05-28 13:32:26  
Well, I know this isn't a factor now obviously but I am obsessed with Corsair so my merits will be poured into Marksmanship which will help significantly. And if I die because of a lack of 8 r.acc while wearing over +50 r.acc in other slots then I probably had it coming to begin with. But I catch your drift.
First Page 2