Will We Regret Video Games On Our Death Bed?

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Arcade » Will We Regret Video Games on our Death Bed?
Will We Regret Video Games on our Death Bed?
By daemun 2012-06-21 14:13:04  
Cerberus.Tikal said: »
Time we enjoy wasting is not wasted time.
This looks oddly familiar...

Any way we can stay on the topic of end of life regrets and gaming, and not some pseudo-philosophical ideal of the burden lifestyle choices are on those around us?
 Lakshmi.Flavin
サーバ: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2012-06-21 14:19:40  
Shadowe Elrik said: »
Bahamut.Seiunhiro said: »
Time You Enjoy Wasting is Not Wasted Time
[+]
By daemun 2012-06-21 14:21:46  
Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
Bahamut.Seiunhiro said: »
Time You Enjoy Wasting is Not Wasted Time
You took all the work out of it for Tikal...

I was hoping for some back reading.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2012-06-21 14:24:13  
The only thing I "regret" from FFXI was participating in the shitstew that was endgame as long as I did.

It's not even regret though as I learned so much about people from it.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2012-06-21 14:43:17  
Quetzalcoatl.Natlow said: »
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Where do you guys get off thinking you're thoughts and feelings should override someone's choice of lifestyle? We're all in the process of dying, some people live the way they live because it really makes them happy, and others do so because they perceive it to be making the best of a shitty situation. Either way, it's really none of your business if your best friend or a complete stranger chooses to eat pizza and play video games everyday.

Voicing your concerns? That's fine. Insist they change their lives because how they live offends/upsets you? Then you're even more selfish than they are.

I'm not saying it upsets me, not in the slightest. However, as mentioned in my other posts, the financial cost it imposes on society isn't fair.

The financial costs it imposes on society only exist because we seek them out. There is no reason that someone else's obesity has to cost us anything. To imply that we should have influence over someone's lifestyle when we're the ones who initially seek out the responsibility to begin with is the backbone of collectivism and statism.

In the end I think it would help society much more if we all minded our business a tad more rather than try and justify intervening in more and more decisions of capable and responsible adults.
[+]
 Fenrir.Schutz
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2012-06-21 15:12:41  
Not to derail further, but on the sub-topic of health-care-cost-for-lifestyle-and-impact-on-society, I never personally bought into that notion because I've seen that exact frame of thought used to justify intolerance of any behaviours deemed "detrimental to society" by a given person.

One time, while riding home on a tram from work, I overheard an intolerant man criticising an openly-gay group of friends. When asked by another rider why does it matter what sort of sexual-lifestyle they lead, he claimed that them being an "at-risk" group for certain diseases is a burden to society--and therefore to himself--thus justifying his vitriolic remarks.

Which is, in itself, true--the medical risks are indeed higher, but insofar as any other biological or sociological predisposition based on demographic. However, using that as a blanket justification for condemning any sort of lifestyle comes across as intolerant and a bit short-sighted due to generalisation--not every gay person chooses to put themself at higher risk for disease, as not every overweight person has an eating disorder that will result in hospitalisation, nor does every athlete end up with extended injuries impacting the health care system.

Anyhow, back-on-subject, I don't think I'll regret my gaming hobby at all...but I do suspect there are some things people here might regret at least a *little*... ^_-

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/9739/games-you-regret-ever-playing

...I know I put an entry on there. :p

Dying words... "CURSE YOU, AERO THE ACROBAT! <gasp>" >:O
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
サーバ: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2012-06-21 15:34:28  
Further derailment, I apologize. Schutz's anecdote brought this to mind...
By ararita 2012-06-21 15:42:47  
Never a regret...I was diagnosed with MS a few years ago...gaming helped to return sensation to my right hand and "refine" my visual and mental abilities but more than anything else..great people I have mde friendships and more with...'nuff said.
[+]
By daemun 2012-06-21 15:46:54  
Z, I see you stay on topic in classic FFXIAH style ; ).

Interesting vid actually, so glad you threw that up there.

Taken from a Soulfly song: "I live life with no regrets, so I just look back on life and laugh."
By Xenshi 2012-06-21 15:47:58  
Hell no i won't regret it! Millions of people ENJOY playing video games and it has become a respectable form of art. My be a bit harmful in some ways (play a game and having so much fun you lose track of time and forget to sleep XD) but that's not nearly as worse as some of the other ways people spend their time. If there is anything to regret on your deathbed, what about the BILLIONS of people that obsess themselves over reality shows watching another persons life for enjoyment. Now that's some sick sh!t and would be/is a huge waste of time.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
サーバ: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2012-06-21 15:50:59  
Games are just something I do between other enjoyable activities.

When people regularly partake in enjoyable activities, I play games less. I don't class going out and getting drunk as an enjoyable activity.
By daemun 2012-06-21 16:18:09  
Bahamut.Raenryong said: »
I don't class going out and getting drunk as an enjoyable activity.
Never have seen why anyone would.
 Fenrir.Solais
user: Solais
By Fenrir.Solais 2012-06-21 16:33:26  
I think I'll avoid telling my future hospice caretaker that I wasted a chunk of my life on this game and obtaining Seriously 3.0 on Gears of War 3.

How embarrassing!
 Bahamut.Raenryong
サーバ: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2012-06-21 17:30:21  

I mean don't get me wrong - going out with friends can be fun. It's not the drunk part of it which is though.
 Ragnarok.Kongming
user: koumei
By Ragnarok.Kongming 2012-06-21 17:49:59  
I can't imagine life without knowing the joy of Zelda, Mario and to a lesser degree Final Fantasy. It's something that defines who I am just as much as what foods I like, what bands I listen to, and what my favorite film is.

How can you regret something that's so essentially part of you?
 Phoenix.Amael
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amael 2012-06-21 18:41:53  
[+]
 Ragnarok.Eriina
user: Eriina
By Ragnarok.Eriina 2012-06-21 18:45:18  
Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »
However, I have met gamers who just sit on the couch all day and play video games all day and they actually put serious risks to their health (e.g. weight gain, eatting a lot, low physical activity etc).

I fail to see why we needed a two page derail about health care and sympathy for loved ones over this comment. Even if video games were zapped out of history, this guy would still be sitting on the same couch, eating the same pizza and rewatching seasons of lost or battle star galactica. I fail to see the connection to regrets about video gaming specifically.

Also the irony of a rant about health from a user named "baconwrap" is deliciously ironic ヾ(@⌒ー⌒@)ノ
 Bismarck.Helel
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2012-06-21 18:47:06  
There is no meaning beyond life; life itself is meaningless; why the hell not enjoy the time you have here as much as possible? Shouldn't the question be: would you regret not playing video games?
 Odin.Tsuneo
サーバ: Odin
user: Tsuneo
By Odin.Tsuneo 2012-06-21 19:33:17  
I have an anxiety disorder, so I'm highly prone to alcoholism. I guess that's why I find it so enjoyable because it helps me feel normal.
 Sylph.Siccmade
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Siccmade 2012-06-21 20:36:06  

I mean don't get me wrong - going out with friends can be fun. It's not the drunk part of it which is though.
Agreed, I'll go out and hit a bar or just hang with friends where me getting hammered is often a byproduct. There was a time when my goal was too get drunk but those days have passed, thankfully.

I think if you have regrets now then you'll feel the same way on your death bed when you reflect back. I know I've caught myself shirking responsibility to camp a monster or something dumb. I've since got my priorities in order. The reality behind that is, if I didn't care that I kept my gf waiting or was late for work then I most likely wouldn't regret it later but I care about those things now, so I changed my habits.

Sorry if this is a little scatter brained, I was up all night playing video games...
 Ragnarok.Nausi
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2012-06-21 21:25:20  
This question is just silly. I'd regret the hours I've spent watching mindless TV before the hours spent playing games...

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-06-21 22:04:34  
I've drunk my fair share of alcohol, but I've never in my life been drunk and have no intention of ever getting drunk. Couldn't even tell you what a hangover feels like. If you're going out to get hammered then to each their own, but getting stone drunk is not a necessary by-product of drinking and should not be viewed as such. It's not a by-product of anything but your own choice to keep drinking when you should have stopped.
 Sylph.Siccmade
By Sylph.Siccmade 2012-06-21 23:02:31  
I'm strictly speaking for myself, which is all I can do. If I say when I go out with friends and there's drinks, I'm most likely going to get drunk. That doesn't mean getting drunk was the reason I'm there, it was a byproduct.

It is not by any means necessary to get drunk and I'm also not saying its a bad thing, judgement calls on not knowing when to stop don't apply, to me. I understand that using words like "hammered" immediately trigger a negative connotation, so that was an error on my part.

Not trying to be defensive about this, just wanted my initial point to be made clearer. I wouldn't ever argue or try to validate getting drunk but its been known to happen by the end of a long night of partying.

To each their own.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2012-06-21 23:37:14  
If I weren't gaming, I'd spend an equal amount of time watching tv or dicking around on the internet, so it's not like the games are stopping me from being social or doing anything else, really.

Games are what I like to do in my spare time. If I didn't have games, that same amount of spare time would be filled with some other, "pointless" activity.
 Cerberus.Vivik
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Detroit
By Cerberus.Vivik 2012-06-21 23:39:50  
Only thing I will regret is not being able to hook my brain up to my PC to keep playing. Hope they have it before I croak.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [2833 days between previous and next post]
 Valefor.Endoq
サーバ: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2020-03-25 11:26:02  
I quit vidyagaems, but I wish I had spent my 20's building a life for the long term. I played ffxi for nearly every waking moment for 10 years...

*meh* /shrug

Time to move forward.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2020-03-25 12:07:24  
Meh

At some point i do regretted the time spent on game. But i take often breaks (6months usually, then 6 month not playing rinse repeat). When im on break interval i look for other games but then i start wondering if i will play why not play ffxi again? And if im already playing anythings its because i dont have anything much better to do. Maybe reading some manga or taking easy,

Truth is my lifestyle isnt one that i feel compelled to great adventures like traveling around of the world. Instead, doing daily routines seems fine to me.

At this point what i regret more is not finding a gf, wife. But thats no pt gaming fault but my own lack of initiative. This year it was suposed to have some changing but many things are interrupting it (corona is one of them).

I do agree playing game isnt the most useful used time you can use in your life, but its not the worst too.

Its fine enough. Not reason to complain, just find a balance
[+]
By Draylo 2020-03-25 12:16:54  
No, I loved every minute of FFXI!
[+]