users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » PLD 99 gear and atmacites
PLD 99 gear and atmacites
 Fenrir.Minjo
サーバ: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Tsuko
By Fenrir.Minjo 2012-06-18 23:31:28  
Pretending for a moment that an admission of inexperience in any way addresses the point I just made, no, I have not. I'm plenty familiar with the publicized attempts(successful and otherwise) thus far, however.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2012-06-18 23:33:25  
all I'm reading is "No, I haven't" and by that, this conversation is over.

I'm not gonna get into a silly argument with someone who has no first-hand experience.
 Fenrir.Minjo
By Fenrir.Minjo 2012-06-18 23:36:50  
You're faux-semblance of non-points with regard to my inarguably valid remarks don't constitute a counter-argument.

If Ochain isn't keeping an attack from putting you in a critical position, it isn't relevant. That's not how Ochain works. And yes, I do have one of those.
 Ragnarok.Eriina
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Eriina
By Ragnarok.Eriina 2012-06-18 23:40:33  
I've done Odin-II. Doing it again tonight. There is no way his physical hits are putting an Ochain pld in red. Non-relic non-ochain pld tank him easily.

Curse-ga, magical AoE, and the 10,000 needles move pose another problem, but that's nothing an ochain will help with.
 Fenrir.Minjo
By Fenrir.Minjo 2012-06-18 23:41:46  
I could also remark upon the contradiction of asserting that your anecdote is in a position of infallibility not to be found with the anecdotes of others.

>The accounts of others suggest that PLD is unnecessary

>>The accounts of others don't matter. I'm telling you that it does.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2012-06-18 23:42:41  
not sure I remember saying his physical hits alone were putting a PLD in red. Oh that's right, because I didn't.
 Fenrir.Minjo
By Fenrir.Minjo 2012-06-18 23:42:45  
Ragnarok.Eriina said: »
I've done Odin-II. Doing it again tonight. There is no way his physical hits are putting an Ochain pld in red. Non-relic non-ochain pld tank him easily.

Curse-ga, magical AoE, and the 10,000 needles move pose another problem, but that's nothing an ochain will help with.

You mean that Starkz is exaggerating?!

Say it ain't so, mamma! Say it ain't so!
[+]
 Fenrir.Minjo
By Fenrir.Minjo 2012-06-18 23:46:12  
Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai said: »
Uses the ability Zantetsuken Kai repeatedly through out the fight, was putting an Ochain in red consistantly. Standard melee hits are painful aswell, granted I was on RNG, but I took a 600 dmg swing non-crit.

You're using this ability as some piece of the leverage pie. This ability clearly isn't being mitigated by what you're saying is necessary, else it wouldn't be putting the Ochain at critical levels.

Ochain and PLD are not manditory, and I didn't need the above fellow to validate that for me. Exaggerate elsewhere.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2012-06-18 23:48:13  
Zantetsuken Kai: Heavy single target physical damage

taken from bg wiki, now I wasn't eyeballing the PLD everytime it used this, but the times that I did, it often dealt quite a good chunk of damage. If it never did painful damage to your non-relic/emp pld, he's either magic, or you got the wrong Odin.
 Fenrir.Minjo
By Fenrir.Minjo 2012-06-18 23:48:49  
Back on topic, because apparently we're still hellbent on derailing on the basis of attempting to put PLD into a position that it will likely never be in again.

Fenrir.Minjo said: »
If you're forced into being PLD for VW, just strap on whatever suitable DD atmacites you have around. Defensive or enmity-focused atmacites aren't going to make traditional tanking any less of a lost cause.

Like I said, if for whatever reason you're going to be on PLD in VW, just use whatever DD atmacites you have available to you. "Tanking" atmacites are not going to benefit you much, if at all.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2012-06-18 23:52:38  
This abililty was activating quite quickly I noticed, and if PLD's blockrate with Ochain is so massively high, then PLD will be majority of the time protected from a flat-out one shot. DDs, on the other hand, are gonna fulltime PDT?
 Ramuh.Austar
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-06-18 23:56:46  
Ochain isn't blocking it, what makes you think ochain is required?
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-06-19 00:01:26  
This abililty was activating quite quickly I noticed, and if PLD's blockrate with Ochain is so massively high, then PLD will be majority of the time protected from a flat-out one shot. DDs, on the other hand, are gonna fulltime PDT?

A well-geared DT-DD tank is still better than PLD, even if they are somehow forced to full-time their DT sets.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2012-06-19 00:06:44  
Just the many ways it can kill a DD:

Zantetsuken Kai possibly one-shotting you
Zantetsuken Kai + a quick melee hit
Curse move + Kaustra
Curse move + Kaustra + melee hit

just combo attacks like that that'll quickly dispatch a DD.

Also spawns adds as usual, which in this instance don't ever despawn, I'm guessing that's what you'd bring a PLD for, they have quite a chunk of HP each though, and decent attack

In any case, you gods throw up a video of you doing it with no PLD on Odin at all, I'll admit I was wrong k?
 Fenrir.Minjo
By Fenrir.Minjo 2012-06-19 00:16:04  
1) Haven't we established that you're either exaggerating or that Ochain isn't mitigating this? Next.

2) If you're not exaggerating, this is going to kill a PLD just as readily as a DD in PDT equipment. Next.

3) What on earth does Ochain have to do with either of these? Next.

4) Really? Three attacks? Wake your healer up.

Stop derailing until you come up with a legitimate point.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-06-19 00:26:51  
Also spawns adds as usual, which in this instance don't ever despawn, I'm guessing that's what you'd bring a PLD for, they have quite a chunk of HP each though, and decent attack
No, you kill them. A few DDs should tear through each group of three adds in under a minute.

EDIT: Whoops, I just wandered into an argument with Starkzz. nothingtodohere.jpg
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-06-19 00:51:26  
zantetsuken Kai is not mitigated by a shield, it's a fixed amount of damage. You stand to gain nothing from a PLD on Odin.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2012-06-19 00:55:06  
Cure-cheats haven't been a good idea, well, ever, but we've caught on to that only relatively recently.
I disagree, provided the argument isn't just that you shouldn't have a pld. I do agree than cure's hate and utility is diminished quite a bit just from our level gains alone but adding to it the average damage meleeing does now it's completely useless against anything you can damage, but if you cannot damage it physically or if you need to get hate on multiple targets, it has it's uses. You can't dd on multiple targets at the same time. I realize that you may never need to do this but it is a viable tool when the situation calls.

At 75 when I did sky gods most dd's and the pld did very low damage against them. Hell, spirits within was a good damage and hate tool and when atonement came out it was a godsend. A cure kit was a standard staple and it worked. I'm not quite sure how "what we know now" would change the mechanics of cures. If anything the recent cure update has improved it slightly...

On topic... I'm sorry OP, and good luck with your pld. We love having ours /shrug.
By amadis 2012-06-19 06:15:28  
Josiahkf said: »
Also you could throw in Minerva's and Lunettes to add MDB+7 to your current build instead of 2 merman's but if enmity is capped you're at 32% MDT and overkilling it

So I would only use that exact build on something that reset enmity constantly

I realise my MDT set is well over cap but i do not use windower and need to use 2 macros to switch to MDT so i dont really want to have sets for Shell IV/Shell V/merited Shell V. I solo/lowman alot of 75 content/Abyssea with my LS where i do not have a shell V and i was also under the impression you would need 52% to fully cap MDT. This set was really aimed to fit all situations (shell IV/V/low enimty/hate reset)

If you're forced into being PLD for VW, just strap on whatever suitable DD atmacites you have around. Defensive or enmity-focused atmacites aren't going to make traditional tanking any less of a lost cause.

Ok what Atmacites would people recomend useing?

Lakshmi.Phaffi said: »
you don't really have to worry about an enmity set at all anymore, it's just not worth the inventory space. invest in a VIT set for rampart. TPing in mekira meikogai is nice for the extra tp when you get hit, but i don't know if it outdoes your top tp set or not, guess it depends on the fight. for your CDC set, try to get some shadow sabatons as they augment to get both crit hit rate and crit hit damage. for an aegis mdt set i use the below. if you want some more gear sets PM me and i'll make up some for you:

Really? i have found the enimity set to be very beneficial for Provoke/Flash/Cures.
I do macro in Twilite body, relic head & Creed hands for rampart i was planning on getting more VIT gear when i have finished my Aegis.
As for mekira meikogai I allways thought Creed body was the superior choice because of the attack/acc/enimity/hp/mp.
I was unaware of those augments on shadow sabatons I will look into obtaining them.
Your Aegis MDT/MDB set why do you not use more MDB? because of the Creed set absorb?
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-06-19 06:21:49  
I wouldn't really go out of my way and spend inventory slots on excessive enmity gear tbh. Reason it isn't useful is because you'll cap your enmity very quickly either way, and it won't help you once the DDs do the same thing.
 Asura.Yoyou
サーバ: Asura
user: poff
By Asura.Yoyou 2012-06-19 07:56:22  
your saying a DD can tank Odin v2 without PD? am I reading that right? gonna disagree if that's the case.

Uses the ability Zantetsuken Kai repeatedly through out the fight, was putting an Ochain in red consistantly. Standard melee hits are painful aswell, granted I was on RNG, but I took a 600 dmg swing non-crit.

sam/war <-> war/sam.

Also, I thought the only person who still thinks Pld is an useful job to the current "endgame" contents was Natenn but hmmm k.

EX :If someone in party tanking it would die every 3 minutes I'd rater have DDs rotating on it to be able to make the max damage on those 3 minutes window, instead of having a Pld on it which would only drain uneeded mp from the whm and eventually die.

This reminds me of when Rex came out :3
By Fafnir 2012-06-21 18:00:42  
I also did Odin II.

I don't think the reason PLD would be preferred here is because of blocking all of, or even a majority of the special attacks, but blocking regular attacks in between special moves on top of self cures would make it a safer bet than any melee in PDT gear.

This is, however, assuming your strategy is to hold off on damaging Odin until you kill all the Valkyries. If you're going all out from the beginning, you wouldn't be able to hold hate anyway.

As far as Voidwatch goes, PLD only seems useful for Bismarck (and maybe a few others that spawn adds) as a holder. Primarily for Bismarck though, even with a good group, a skilled PLD/DNC could hold their own if you get unlucky with procs and are out of fanatic's for a while. Even in Provenance though, a DD could easily hold the other caturae.

I also agree atmacites aren't worth the cruor cost to exchange your DD set, maybe Morta's atmacite, even at lv.1 it gives something like Refresh+3.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [271 days between previous and next post]
 Shiva.Tedril
サーバ: Shiva
user: Tedril
By Shiva.Tedril 2013-03-19 20:34:09  
this whole thread makes me laugh... alot... sorry for bump tho lol